• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

7 tyranitars

Eh true. I would do a Fire but there's only 4? (Charizard, Arcanine, Magmar, Moltres?). Water has some good types but I wanna add Arcanine. Then I would do poison to try out Nidoking but don't like any of the others.

So maybe I could do fire? And just have Charizard and Arcanine and get the others when I get that far. What do all you think?

Well I suppose you could use Legends.. then if you have Lg you can have a full team, Charizard/Ninetales/Moltres/Rapidash/Flareon/magmar, but in FR Magmar is not available. And ninetales obviously will be Arcanine.

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
Well I suppose you could use Legends.. then if you have Lg you can have a full team, Charizard/Ninetales/Moltres/Rapidash/Flareon/magmar, but in FR Magmar is not available. And ninetales obviously will be Arcanine.

True. I could have Charizard, Arcanine, Moltres, Flareon and eh Rapidash? Not sure if it's available...

Drummerdude

I proceded to climb the Pokemon Mansion, defeating every Channeler along the way. I eventually reached the top and rescued Mr Fuji. I headed south onto Route 12 and defeated the wild Snorlax. I headed down until I found the patch of grass and captured a Venonat. I began training Venonat against the trainers East of Vermillion for easy exp. I also went back to Lavender Town and trained Venonat against the people both north and west of Lavender who I had purposely skipped. After beating one of the trainers west of Lavender...Venonat evolved.

I flew to Celadon and went to the Department Store and bought a Leaf Stone. I used it on Gloom so I now have a Vileplume. I headed for the gym and beat every trainer with my new Venomoth. Then came Erika. Nidoqueen took out her Victreebel, Vileplume defeated Tangela, and Venomoth beat Vileplume which won me my fourth badge!

I headed for cycling road and skipped every Biker so I could battle them later. I soon arrived in Fuchsia and went to the Safari Zone and won the Surf HM and got the Golden Teeth. I gave the Golden Teeth to the Warden and then saved in front of the gym.

Current Team
031.gif
024.gif
045.gif
049.gif

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Once Archie had been defeated and Team Aqua fled Mt. Chimney's summit, I headed down to Lavaridge Town through the Jagged Pass. I trained my Pokemon a bit there against the various trainers, and then I reached the bottom of the mountain. I healed at the Lavaridge Town Pokemon Center, and then I went shopping for some healing items at the Poke Mart. I headed to the Herb Shop as well, just to collect some items. I then went to the Lavaridge Town Gym, and I began my Gym challenge by battling against the Gym trainers. I had a hard time against their Fire-type Pokemon, plus I forgot where I was supposed to go since there was haze everywhere. So it took me a while to find Flannery's place. I saved once I got there at long last.

Current team:

;253; - Grovyle level 31
;271; - Lombre level 29
;286; - Breloom level 29
;315; - Roselia level 28

Drummerdude

Nice^

Looks like a good Poison team xD

Thanks! I like to think it is.

I entered the Fuchsia Gym and defeated every trainer. This was more difficult than the previous gyms because normally my team is around the same level or higher than the gym leaders Pokemon. I eventually arrived in front of Koga and began my battle. It was finally time to see which Poison trainer would prove stronger. I started off with Venomoth who defeated Koffing and learned Psybeam after that small victory. I switched to Arbok against Muk, but after a crapload of Minimize's, Arbok couldn't hit it and Arbok eventually fell. I switched back to Venomoth who defeated Muk in one shot thanks to the damage Arbok had done. I kept Venomoth in to defeat Koffing which it did. I sent Nidoqueen in to deal with Weezing, and even though it brought her into the red, Nidoqueen prevailed. I am the best Poison Pokemon trainer in the region! I should stop this challenge now...but alas, I shall continue on.

I fished up a Horsea to be my surfer so I could surf and capture my fifth Poison type. I eventually found a decent leveled Tentacool and added it to the team! I flew back to Pallet Town and surfed to Cinnabar Island. I entered the Pokemon Mansion and captured a Koffing. My team is complete! I flew to Vermillion and used the VS Seeker to train Koffing and Tentacool. Tentacool evolve against a random trainer. I headed to Saffron and went to the Fighting Dojo to train some more. Later I went to Cycling Road and defeated the bikers and Koffing evolved!!! I arrived back in Fuchsia and started training against the trainers on Route 15. Once that is done I will head to Saffron to take on Team Rocket.

Current Team
pkfrlg031.png
pkfrlg024.png
pkfrlg045.png
pkfrlg049.png
pkfrlg073.png
pkfrlg110.png

7 tyranitars

Previously:

-Trained all my pokemons
-Got all Items from the safari zone
-Defeated Koga
-Decided to take a detour and get an Aerodactyl
-Got Exp Share
-Saved at Silph co.

I defeated every single trainer in silph co, first I got the Card Key, after that I started from floor 2 all the way up to floor 11 defeating all rockets and scientists. After I did that I went to my rival and defeated him easily. Next up in the line was Giovanni, his ground types where no match for my ;148; Dragonair and ;130; Gyarados. After I defeated Gio the owner of the silph co gave me a Master Ball. After this rocket mess was over I could finally challenge Sabrina her ;064; Kadabra and ;122; Mr Mime where defeated by my ;148; Dragonair.
Her ;049; Venomoth proved to be no match for my ;018; Pidgeot, and her ;065; Alakazam was defeated after a few hits of my ;130; Gyarados. (Darn Recover spammer.)

Before I went to Cinnabar Island, I defeated all the trainers in route 21,20 and 19. After I did that I went to the Pokemon Mansion. After I got all the items I left and went to the rock tunnel to learn Aerodactyl Rock Slide.

Then I healed at a pokemon center bought some supplies, and challenged Blaine who was very easy. My ;130; Gyarados defeated ;058; Growlith, ;077; Ponyta and ;078; Rapidash. His ;059; Arcanine was a bit harder I send out ;148; Dragonair first, but she got defeated my a critical hit Fire Blast. After that I send out my ;142; Aerodactyl who after 5 Rock Slides defeated ;059; Arcanine. (*sigh* Heal spammers.)

I left the gym and Bill picked me up to go to One Island.

Saved.

;142; Aerodactyl Level 40
-Wing Attack
-Rock Slide
-Bite
-SuperSonic

;148; Dragonair Level 40
-Slam
-Thunder Wave
-Surf
-Dragon Rage

;130; Gyarados Level 41
-Dragon Rage
-Strength
-Bite
-Surf

;012; Butterfree Level 41
-Aerial Ace
-Stun Spore
-Sleep Powder
-Psybeam

;018; Pidgeot Level 42
-Fly
-Wing Attack
-Featherdance
-Quick Attack

;006; Charizard Level 39
-Wing Attack
-Brick Break
-Flamethrower
-Metal Claw

Last edited:

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
^7 tyranitars, For your first 2 pictures of Dragonair, You put Tauros :D

And yay 3 walkthroughs to read through. So anyone think I should do a Fire Mono then? Because I have a long way to go to catch you all up.

7 tyranitars

^7 tyranitars, For your first 2 pictures of Dragonair, You put Tauros :D

And yay 3 walkthroughs to read through. So anyone think I should do a Fire Mono then? Because I have a long way to go to catch you all up.

Oh thanks for catching that, didn't noticed fixed it. :D

Well I wouldn't suggest a fire mono on the first try, but if you really want to do it go for it, you will probably have more succes doing a fun mono then a mono you don't like. :)

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
Oh thanks for catching that, didn't noticed fixed it. :D

Well I wouldn't suggest a fire mono on the first try, but if you really want to do it go for it, you will probably have more succes doing a fun mono then a mono you don't like. :)

Lol you're welcome. Yeah I suppose a fun mono is good. None of the other types have Pokemon I really like. And I like Charizard and Arcanine and the others are okay. Yeah I'll start a Fire Mono! And I'll be sure to keep you all Posted :D

Lorde

I finally challenged Flannery inside the Lavaridge Town Gym, and it was a fiery encounter. I had some trouble right from the start as I was battling against her first Slugma. My Roselia's Grass-type attacks just weren't weakening that thing, so I had to use Breloom's Fighting-type moves instead. Those worked great, and then I swapped out to Grovyle when Flannery used her second Slugma. Grovyle was able to hit Slugma with some good attacks, and Slugma was eventually knocked out. I then had to face off against Torkoal, which I was not looking forward to. Lombre was able to keep Torkoal at bay though, and I eventually managed to bring Torkoal down with a few well-aimed attacks. I got the Heat Badge and the TM containing the move Overheat from Flannery. I saved at the Pokemon Center.

Current team:

;253; - Grovyle level 32
;271; - Lombre level 30
;286; - Breloom level 29
;315; - Roselia level 29

Drummerdude

I defeated every trainer on Route's 12-15 for easy experience. I then rode my bike to Saffron (I'm regretting not using Golbat now) and enter the Silph Co. I first grabbed the Card Key and then took the elevator to the top floor. I began defeating every single Rocket on every floor so that my team gets stronger for my fight against Sabrina. As of now I have defeated everyone with the exception of my rival and any trainers past him.

Quick note: If anyone is planning on doing a Poison Monotype run...do not use Arbok. It sucks.

Current Team
pkfrlg031.png
pkfrlg024.png
pkfrlg045.png
pkfrlg049.png
pkfrlg073.png
pkfrlg110.png

Last edited:

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
Lol Drummerdude you should've used Golbat over Arbok.

Wow 4th Kira, How'd you defeat that Torkoal with Grass types? I find it quite hard with a normal team.

Drummerdude

I made my rival cower in fear as I trounced his team in the Silph Co. I then went to face off against Giovanni who went down quickly thanks to Venomoth and Tentacruel. I took out my flier and flew to Cinnabar Island since I had been there previously to capture my Koffing. I went to the Pokemon Mansion and spent about a hour inside because I couldn't remember how to navigate it and because I couldn't take 5 steps without finding a random Pokemon. I eventually got the key to Blaine's Gym and entered the gym. I answered the quiz questions and then proceeded to defeat every trainer with Arbok and Tentacruel. Then came Blaine's turn. I'm not even going to describe the massacre that was my 7th gym battle, but I got my badge and exited to find Bill. He took me to One Island where I took a break.

Current Team
pkfrlg031.png
pkfrlg024.png
pkfrlg045.png
pkfrlg049.png
pkfrlg073.png
pkfrlg110.png

Lorde

Wow 4th Kira, How'd you defeat that Torkoal with Grass types? I find it quite hard with a normal team.

Lombre used Water Sport, which weakened Torkoal's Fire-type attacks.

Anyway, I left the Lavaridge Town Pokemon Center, and I headed east until I reached the desert portion of Route 111. My rival appeared and they handed me the Go-Goggles so that I could travel around the sandstorms without hurting my eyes. I wandered around there for a while, and I captured a wild Cacnea that appeared in the sand. I then went to where the fossils were, and I picked the Root Fossil from the sand. After that, I made my way south back around Hoenn until I reached Meteor Falls. I crossed the cave until I reached the route north of Rustboro City. I battled some trainers there, and then I reached Rustboro and I had the Root Fossil restored into a Lileep. I saved at the local Poke Mart after buying some items.

Current team:

;253; - Grovyle level 33
;271; - Lombre level 31
;286; - Breloom level 30
;315; - Roselia level 29
;331; - Cacnea level 20
;345; - Lileep level 20

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
Lombre used Water Sport, which weakened Torkoal's Fire-type attacks.

Ah nice thinking.

Anyway I haven't done much on my Fire mono but I have done a bit.
I arrived at Pallet Town and got my Starter (Charmander) and beat my rival easily. I then went through Route 1, Battled a few wild Pokemon on the way to Viridian City. I went to the Pokemart and collected the Parcel and went back to Oak's Lab and gave it to him. He then gave me the Pokedex and I started my journey. I went back to Viridian City and this Old Man showed me how to catch a Pokemon >.<. He then gave me the Teachy TV and I set off to Viridian Forest. I battled all the Bug catchers in there to level my Charmander up. Finally I arrived at Pewter City. Searched around for a bit, bought some items at Pokemart, Restored my Pokemon to full health and then went to Brock's gym. Getting to him wasn't very hard. My (only Pokemon) Charmander beat the trainer in the then evolved into Charmeleon! Brock was a little harder. Charmeleon defeated the Geodude easily and Onix eventually fainted after some Growls and Metal Claw's. I then got the Running Shoes from Prof Oak's Aide and then set off on Route 3...

Current Team
;005; Charmeleon Level 18.

Lorde

I left Rustboro City, and I headed south towards the Petalburg Woods. I battled some of the trainers along the route while I was passing, and then I came out of the woods, and I arrived at the southern portion of the route. I arrived in Petalburg City, and I healed my Pokemon at the Pokemon Center. I then visited the Petalburg City Gym and I had to make my way around the Gym while battling the various Gym trainers in their rooms. It was a really challenging experience, and I had to leave to heal my Pokemon twice. I eventually defeated them all, but I had to leave to buy some healing items since I knew that the battle against Norman was going to be tough. I returned to the Gym, and I saved the game in front of Norman at the back of the Gym.

Current team:

;253; - Grovyle level 34
;271; - Lombre level 32
;286; - Breloom level 31
;315; - Roselia level 30
;331; - Cacnea level 23
;345; - Lileep level 22

Drummerdude

I decided to explore One Island before continuing on. I headed east and battled a lot of trainers. I soon found a hot spring and received the HM06. I headed to Mt. Ember to train more, but because I didn't want to teach anyone on my team Rock Smash I could not continue. I headed back to the Pokemon Center and departed for Two Island. I briefly explored there before heading to Three Island and saving my game.

Current Team
pkfrlg031.png
pkfrlg024.png
pkfrlg045.png
pkfrlg049.png
pkfrlg073.png
pkfrlg110.png

Lorde

I finally got the courage to challenge Norman at the Petalburg City Gym, and I think it was my hardest Gym battle yet. Norman used his weakest Slaking against me first, but I thought beating it was a lot harder than I expected it to be. I used Breloom against it thinking that Fighting-type attacks would do major damage, but that thing was still standing even after three Mach Punch attacks. Then it used Yawn on Breloom, so I had to switch to Roselia. She barely managed to beat Slaking with Magical Leaf, and then I had to face off against Vigoroth. Roselia couldn't handle it, so I sent Lombre to finish the job. Sadly, it fainted, so I had to use Grovyle. Once Vigoroth was down, I faced off aganst Norman's second Slaking, and it took 5 minutes for that thing to faint. I finally got the Balance Badge, but the battle was tough.

Current team:

;253; - Grovyle level 35
;271; - Lombre level 32
;286; - Breloom level 32
;315; - Roselia level 31
;331; - Cacnea level 23
;345; - Lileep level 22