• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

Blinkingsky

Matsuda breeder
But if you want a real challenge go steel.

challenge-accepted.png

Alright, now lets see here. For steel types in gen III, we got Mawille, Magneton, Metagross, Steelix, Skarmory, Aggron, Forretress, Scizor, Registeel, and Jirachi. Who to choose, who to choose-besides Metagross, Magneton, and Skarmory, since they are obviously going to be on my team.

Well, who should I choose? I have access to all of these guys(yay for Pokemon Coliseum bonus disk), so its just a matter of choosing which ones I want.

golduck#1

challenge-accepted.png

Alright, now lets see here. For steel types in gen III, we got Mawille, Magneton, Metagross, Steelix, Skarmory, Aggron, Forretress, Scizor, Registeel, and Jirachi. Who to choose, who to choose-besides Metagross, Magneton, and Skarmory, since they are obviously going to be on my team.

Well, who should I choose? I have access to all of these guys(yay for Pokemon Coliseum bonus disk), so its just a matter of choosing which ones I want.

If I may, You gotta had an Aggron and Scizor. Your choice of Forretress and Mawhile, but you already got a physical wall so I would be leaning towards Mawhile.

Anyways I started my Water monotype challenge with my projeted team being
Blastoise
Seadra
Slowbro
Powliwrath
Lapras
Vaporeon/Kabutops/ if someone makes a suggestion ( please)

So I headed of on my journey to complete another monotype challenge. Fun fact my poison challenge was the first time I went thorugh the game without a starter. Anyways I obviously picked Squirtle for my starter and I named him pools :). After thinking to myself 1000 times that it's going to be hard seing as I wont get another water type poke till after the 3rd gym ( unless I wanted to use the Magikarp) I went into viridian forest rushing to brock and defeating him in a second. Pools evolved to Wartortle and I went to mount moon, being so high leveled I demolished anyone and everyone and did the same in mount moon. I got to cerulian and went to challenge my Rival. I somehow died to him and then rematched him to beat him.

After doing to little in-game stuff I went on to beat Misty which as lead me to make it to Vermillion city. I have had much debates about whether I should say Lt Surge for a Slowpoke or something or just go right ahead and defeat him with Pools. Either way it will be challenging.

Team is as followed

Pools the Wartortle = 30

Mevejuma

If I may, You gotta had an Aggron and Scizor. Your choice of Forretress and Mawhile, but you already got a physical wall so I would be leaning towards Mawhile.

Anyways I started my Water monotype challenge with my projeted team being
Blastoise
Seadra
Slowbro
Powliwrath
Lapras
Vaporeon/Kabutops/ if someone makes a suggestion ( please)

So I headed of on my journey to complete another monotype challenge. Fun fact my poison challenge was the first time I went thorugh the game without a starter. Anyways I obviously picked Squirtle for my starter and I named him pools :). After thinking to myself 1000 times that it's going to be hard seing as I wont get another water type poke till after the 3rd gym ( unless I wanted to use the Magikarp) I went into viridian forest rushing to brock and defeating him in a second. Pools evolved to Wartortle and I went to mount moon, being so high leveled I demolished anyone and everyone and did the same in mount moon. I got to cerulian and went to challenge my Rival. I somehow died to him and then rematched him to beat him.

After doing to little in-game stuff I went on to beat Misty which as lead me to make it to Vermillion city. I have had much debates about whether I should say Lt Surge for a Slowpoke or something or just go right ahead and defeat him with Pools. Either way it will be challenging.

Team is as followed

Pools the Wartortle = 30

Go for Kabutops. It gives you an extra type in rock.

I think I'll do one of these on Emerald. It will be on my emulator though, so I have no access to trades. And I can probably rush through things a bit quicker. I want to go for fighting, which gives me:
- Blaziken
- Breloom
- Hariyama
- Medicham
- Heracross
- Machoke (I can't trade to make Machamp)

I'll start that shortly, and update every once in a while. Though with exams to revise for, it may be slow progress at times.

golduck#1

Go for Kabutops. It gives you an extra type in rock.

I think I'll do one of these on Emerald. It will be on my emulator though, so I have no access to trades. And I can probably rush through things a bit quicker. I want to go for fighting, which gives me:
- Blaziken
- Breloom
- Hariyama
- Medicham
- Heracross
- Machoke (I can't trade to make Machamp)

I'll start that shortly, and update every once in a while. Though with exams to revise for, it may be slow progress at times.

Sorry buddy already got myself a Gyarados.

Anyways I guess you can guess what my next step was, and your WRONG! I didn't train a magikarp up. Instead I beat the Ss.Anne along with all the other trainers around that area to get my Blastoise up to level 40. I then challenged LT surge and beat him with no trouble.

I went on my way to rock tunnel with the intention of just getting my blastoise to a high enough level so I wouldn't have to train him when I got my other pokes. I got through there and went straight to the game corner to beat team rocket. You are probably wondering why I went there and it's because I wanted to get the super rod asap and to get it i had to remove Snorlax.

So I beat team rocket and went into the radio tower. I forgot what it is called. Regardless I got to Mr.Fuji after defeating team rocket and my rival once again :D. He gave me the flute and I went straight to the super rod. At this time my Blastoise was level 49 and I was just about the catch me some water pokemon :).

I went back to Cerulian city to catch a Slowpoke but before I did that I stopped at the route just above Vermillion to catch a Powliwag. I was lucky enough to see a Powliwhirl level 21 and I caught it. I named him target because I couldn't think of anything else. I then went to go catch a Slowpoke which was pretty hard to do amazingly enough. I found a Gyarados while searching and I caught it. I then finally found a Slowpoke and caught him as well.

I went to go grind there levels to a suitbale stage where I can go challenge the sliph tower. I got them to around level 33 respectively and I then challenged Erika with my Gyarados. It wasn't much of a challenge to be honest because Gyarados was just thrashing and she was just well not doing much damage. I then went to Sliph. I evolved my Slowpoke and Poliwhirl (had to learn Body Slam first) into Slowbro and Powliwrath and went on to challenge my rival. I won with a little help from Pools and then went to get me a Lapras. It was a boy so I made the decision to do the whole thing again just to get a girl (lucky I saved inside the Sliph). I got a girl and named it Lazula.

After that little bit of work I went to to fighting dojo to get Slowbro up some levels. It is currently level 40 with the help from that and I have me a new Hitmonchan (doens't matter anyways as it will not be used).

In my next Journey I will get Lapras and co up to level 40 as well as get a Seadra to the team. Until next time :).

Current team as follows.

Pools the Blastoise: 50
Target the Powliwrath:36
Rampage the Gyarados:35
Vacan the Slowbro:40
Lazula the Lapris: 25
Vapes the Eevee:25

Vapes is just tagging along because it's so damn cute.

Mevejuma

I started my fighting challenge on Emerald shortly after posting, and to begin with, I named myself 'Chuck' after Chuck Norris, seeing as I have a fighting team. Of course, I picked Torchic, seeing as it evolves into Blazkien. Male, with a Docile nature, and I named him Scorch because of his fire typing. I beat May's Mudkip with ease, and swiftly made my way over to Petalburg Woods, avoiding a couple of trainers along the way. It didn't take me long to find a wild Shroomish, male, with a hasty nature, and I named him Herb because of his grass typing. I then went back and battled all the trainers I skipped to give Herb some good experience, before heading off to Rustboro.
Around the Rustboro area, I caught a Marill and a Nincada to use Surf and Cut respectively, before training Scorch to level 16 so that he would evolve into Combusken. Roxanne was an absolute pushover with a Shroomish and a Combusken, and barely managed to hurt me. After I dealt with the Team Aqua grunt, I battled May on my way out of Rustboro - this is my first time on Emerald, so I was surprised to see you could battle her - and found it odd that she had already found a Torkoal.
Dewford was up next, and in Granite Cave I encountered my next party member, Makuhita. Male, with a lonely nature, and I named him Chubbs because he's rather podgy. I spent a while afterwards in Granite Cave, levelling all of my party to reasonable levels to take on Brawly. Using Leech Seed, Stun Spore and Mega Drain, Herb was able to solo Machop and Meditite, before being a bit overwhelmed by Makuhita, so Combusken stepped in to finish him off. I am now about to head over to Slateport, and continue the adventure of my first Emerald playthrough.

Team as it stands

;256; Scorch. Level 20
;285; Herb. Level 18
;296; Chubbs. Level 18

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I got to Steven's room and I challenged him. He sent out his Skarmory first and I decided to use my Lanturn against it. I scored a critical hit Thunder, but Skarmory didn't faint. I had to keep using Shock Wave and then Thunder again in order to make it faint. Once that was done, I swapped out to Gyarados when Steven sent out Aggron. I used Water Pulse twice, and Aggron fainted as well. Steven then sent out his Metagross, and I used Swampert against that. One Earthquake attack was enough to take down Metagross, and then I swapped out to Ludicolo when Steven used his Cradily. I had Ludicolo use Giga Drain, but that didn't work as well as I had hoped. I eventually had it use Waterfall, and I beat Cradily with that. Steven sent out his Armaldo, and I countered that with Pelipper. There was a tense moment during that battle, but Pelipper managed to beat Armaldo with Steel Wing. I then used Walrein against Steven's Claydol, and I won with Blizzard. I beat Steven and got registered in the Hall of Fame. The credits rolled, and my monotype challenge came to an end.

Final team:

;260; - Swampert Lv. 59
;272; - Ludicolo Lv. 53
;279; - Pelipper Lv. 53
;130; - Gyarados Lv. 53
;171; - Lanturn Lv. 53
;365; - Walrein Lv. 53

Challenge complete

Mevejuma

So, I set off for Slateport. I made quick work of the trainers on the beach and in the beach hut before continuing to the Shipyard. A man here named Doc informed me that Capt. Stern was not about, and I should look for him elsewhere. My search led me to the museum, where Team Aqua were present. I spoke to Capt. Stern upstairs, when two Aqua Grunts challenged me to a battle so that they could obtain the goods. I disposed of them with little effort thanks to Herb, and was soon able to move north of the city. I battled a few trainers, and accepted the first round of the Trick House challenge, before heading north again under Cycling Road. It was along this path that I encountered May, and a battle began promptly. My team was a bit over-trained for the battle, all being at about level 22, so I was able to beat her with ease. Not long after the battle, Herb evolved into a Breloom, and I reached Mauville City. My Pokemon were capable of taking the Mauville gym in their current state, so I trounced Wally, told him to go away, and entered the gym. The gym trainers were hardly challenging, and during the battles, Chubbs evolved into Hariyama. I then faced Watson for the DynamoBadge, and was almost able to solo him with Herb, though Manectric got a critical hit to faint him, so Scorch finished the job. I'm now about to capture a Machop and train him on the trainers I have yet to battle around Mauville.

Team as it stands

;256; Scorch. Level 24
;286; Herb. Level 24
;297; Chubbs. Level 24

golduck#1

So after my last adventure of getting a Lapris I grinded my pokes pretty hard. Well I thought anyways, actually scratch that It was mainly only 2 pokemon in lapris and Horsea. So yeah I caught a Horsea and named him Snooze. I was lucky enough to get a mild nature which is just a bonus and I went of to train. Horsea kept taking on level 31 Onix's and Gravellars because it is a gun and soon evolved into a Seadra. Wanting to train my other pokemon some more I went to Fuschia gym to help get Vacan and Lazula some levels as I had just taught her psychic.

I beat Koga no doubt and got me up some much needed levels. I went of to the Safari zone not catching any pokemon but to get myself surf. I taught it to 4 of my pokemon and left Rampage and Target out because they are more physical pokemon. I will let Rampage take on Sabrina because he has bite and bite is super effective.

Until next time :)

Team is as follows;

Pools the Blastoise: 50
Target the Powliwrath:42
Rampage the Gyarados:43
Vacan the Slowbro:43
Lazula the Lapris: 43
Snooze the Seadra:32

Mevejuma

The Machop turned out to be a girl, with a Hasty nature. The first thing that came to mind was "Karate Kid", "K.K", "Kiki", that works! So yes, Kiki the Machop was caught. Battling the trainers around Mauville, I was able to get Kiki up to level 24 like the rest of my team, allowing me to move onwards with my adventure. I've only played Sapphire from R/S/E before now, so my first in-game sighting of Team Magma at Mt. Chimney was slightly exciting, and made me want to get through Fallarbor town as quickly as possible. I breezed through all the trainers, seeing as my Pokemon are well levelled for this point in the game, and I came across Team Magma in Meteor Falls. The little scene played out there, and I headed back over to Mt. Chimney, with Kiki evolving into Machoke along the way. I managed to wipe the floor with Team Magma, while also pondering Maxie's Zubat, I'm sure it was a Golbat in R/S. Heading down through the Jagged Path, I encountered another Magma Grunt, who mentioned about Magma's hideout, sparking the realisation in my head that the teams will have separate hideouts in Emerald! Something I'm really looking forward to discovering. Seeing that Flannery's gym had a different layout threw me off slightly, but it wasn't difficult to figure out the right path, and soon enough I was in front of her, ready to challenge her. She proved to be the most difficult gym leader so far, as she managed to knock out Scorch, while almost knocking out Chubbs as well, but in the end I defeated her. I took the Go-Goggles from May, and will soon be heading to the desert and then the Petalburg gym.

Team as it stands

;256; Scorch. Level 30
;286; Herb. Level 30
;297; Chubbs. Level 30
;067; Kiki. Level 30

Black and White scramble

im thinking of doing a mono rock on emerald if you guys have any suggestions for me post a comment

solrock
armaldo
aggron
omastar
golem
aerodactyl

Im going to use advanced starter for aerodactyl
and advanced map for solrock and omastar

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
First chunk of the game in my grass monotype was a piece of cake. Currently on Dewford island, training up to level 20 for Brawly.(The fricken Lenora of gen 3, I swear)

Current team:

;271; Salsa

;285; Waltz

Lorde

Since I finished my previous Nuzlocke Challenge with flying colors, I've decided to start a new one on Sapphire version. I'm doing one with Grass-type Pokemon. I started off in Littleroot Town and I got out of the moving truck. I set the clock and did all the little things in Littleroot Town, and I headed off to Route 101 to locate Professor Birch. I found him being attacked by a wild Pokemon, and I chose Treecko in order to fight it off. After that, I was sent to Oldale Town and I battled wild Pokemon along the way, to train up my Treecko. I arrived in Oldale Town eventually, and I healed at the local Pokemon Center. I also obtained a free Potion at the Pokemon Mart, and I saved as I arrived at Route 103.

Current team:

;252; - Treecko level 7

television17

Pokemon Master
Hi there everyone.
I've decided to take on the challenge (Nuzlocke mode has come to a standstill at Victory road due to excessive leveling), and I will be using the Steel type.
I start on Ruby and hop out of my little truck, knowing I will never return... *Dramatic pose*
I set the clock in my room (which I know will never move because I'm playing on an Emulator) and go back downstairs.
Blah blah blah Elm blah blah blah starter...
Long story short, I hacked to get a Beldum. Have to use my starter, right?
Oh, and since I was hacking I made it shiny just because I like shiny Beldum better. Got a problem? Bite me.
So after much grinding, I went to Petalburg city. At this point my Beldum is around level 12.
After healing, I grind up to lv 15, then go talk to Wally and my dad. They do their thing, then I head through Petalburg Forest and take on the Magma grunt, beating his smelly Poochyena with one Take Down.
By the time I get to Rustboro city, my Beldum is level 18. I go back to grinding near Rusturf Tunnel until my Beldum evolves! Yay! Now I can use something other than Take Down!
Armed with Metal Claw, I head to the Gym.
After a few Geodude (Which go down easy to the Metal Claw), I fight Roxanne (No challenge; super effective STAB hits with a pokemon ~8 levels higher than her strongest) and win.
I go to the tunnel and save the Wingull, Peeko, from the Magma Grunt...
Not much going on other than what has to. Metang is my only pokemon so not much is occuring. Hopefully, that's soon to change!
I head out to Dewford and go straight to the cave. 5 pokemon in and I've snagged team member #2, Aron. She's a girl. I think I'll call her 'Fluffy'.
Did I mention I called the Metang Silver? Well I did now.
I tried to catch a Mawile, but I ran out of pokéballs, so I delivered the letter hastily to Steven, then went to Slateport. After buying as many Pokéballs and Great Balls as I could, I was left with $1 exactly.
After 3 pokéballs I caught my Mawile. Her name is Omnom.
After grinding all my team members up to level 22, I take on Brawley and his croneys with Metang's Confusion and one-shot everything.
I then go to Slateport and deal quickly with Team Magma again, delivering my parcel and heading on my way.
Unfortunately, by this time, I am tired. So I decide to call it quits for now. My current team is as follows;
;375; - Silver, Level 24
;304; - Fluffy, Level 23
;303; - Omnom, Level 22

television17

Pokemon Master
Back.
So after beating May in a less than intense battle, I head to Mauville and have another less than exciting fight with Wally, and then Wattson.
All this leveling will catch up to me at some point, but for now I'm kicking back.
So I have to go get Rock Smash...
Done.
After beating the Winstrates and collecting my Macho Brace, I teach Rock Smash to Omnom (I'll be using her the least) and continue to Lavaridge...
Oh, wait. Team Magma's blocking the way. Well I guess I'll have to make a detour then.
On my way to Fallarbor, I capture the next member of my team; a male Skarmory named Bladedge. Not long afterward, Fluffy evolves into a Lairon! Yay!
After making short work of Team Magma yet again, I head to Fallarbor, heal up, and take on the gym.
After a few retries (and a few puzzle fails... >.<) I beat Flannery and claim my badge.
I decide again to turn in for the evening. My team is as follows;
;375; - Silver, level 28
;305; - Fluffy, Level 37
;303; - Omnom, Level 23
;227; - Bladedge, Level 16

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, I'm done beating Team Magma and now have decided to beat the trainers near Pacifidlog before challenging Wallace. After that, My only challenge left will be the Elite 4. My Delcatty and Spinda, once again have shown me that they are just as good as the rest of my team. I no longer regret choosing them and I look forward to seeing them help against the Elite 4.

Team:
Tauros lv. 43
Delcatty lv. 43
Spinda lv. 43
Porygon2 lv. 44
Swellow lv. 43
Exploud lv. 43

NickADEDYY

I started a Mono-Poison run in LG last night. I've beaten Brock and am at Mt. Moon right now.

Party:
Ivysaur lv. 17
Beedrill lv. 14
Nidorino lv. 16
Zubat lv. 13

television17

Pokemon Master
Part 3.
After running around aimlessly in the desert for a while, I head back to Mauville and then through Rusturf tunnel, rocksmashing my way back to Rustboro. From there I catch a Zigzagoon (HM slave, not for the team), and quickly cycle to Petalburg.
Making quick work of every trainer and the leader, I head back to Mauville to recruit the final member of my team, a Magnemite, who will hopefully help a lot in the next gym.
I catch one at level 24. It's name is Bipolar (Get it? Because magnets have 2 poles? I'm such a comedian).
Within minutes of being caught, Bipolar evolves. Now it has... 12 poles. I'm not going to nickname it Dodecapolar because that has too many letters.
After that I run to Fortree, because I have to work. So I'm done for now.
;375; - Silver, level 31
;305; - Fluffy, Level 39
;303; - Omnom, Level 23
;227; - Bladedge, Level 18
;082; - Bipolar, Level 34

Lorde

I got to Route 103 and I trained a bit in the tall grass there. I eventually met up with May and we battled each other. I had a tough time against her Torchic, despite Treecko being at a higher level than her Pokemon, but I managed to beat her. I then healed at the Pokemon Center in Oldale Town and I left south again towards Littleroot Town. I got to the Pokemon Lab and I obtained some Poke Balls for my journey. I then returned to Oldale Town and I headed to Route 102. I began to travel west towards Petalburg City. I found a trainer along the way, and I had to battle against him. I managed to beat him after some difficulties, and I saved before I continued westward.

Current team:

;252; - Treecko level 8

television17

Pokemon Master
Okay, new update.
With Bipolar spearheading my team (and kicking the flying gym's *****, with the exception of a very pesky Altaria and it's earthquake...), I move on through Route 120/1 and to Lilycove. I beat May, then withdraw Zigzagoon from the PC to go to the Magma lair in the cove.
After realizing I was going the wrong way, I turn around and head to Mount Pyre... Storyline fail.
Anyways, I catch a Tentacool for Dive/Waterfall later on.
Okay, now I beat Team Magma at the mountain, and THEN head to Slateport...
After a useless and lengthy cutscene I head back to Lilycove (the right way this time...) and into the lair.
After beating Tabitha, I save and turn off. Psychologist appointment, don't you know.
;305; - Fluffy, Level 40
;303; - Omnom, Level 27
;082; - Bipolar, Level 38
;375; - Silver, Level 34
;227; - Bladedge, Level 24

IatosHaunted

THE GREAT RETURN
Still trudging along in my grass challenge. Got to Mauville, wandering around the surrounding routes to level up the Oddish I added to my team. Brawly was a bit of a challenge, one of the most naturally challenging gym leaders in the game in my opinion. I actually won with a cut slave Nincada that happened to be in my party at the time. :p

Current team:

;271; "Salsa" Lv. 24
;286; "Waltz" Lv. 25
;043; "Rave" Lv. 17