• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

Shiny Espeon0429

^

No matter how many times I play RSE, I always forget to pick up Cut! Later, I always realise I need it! I forgot it on my Ruby Fighting mono-type recently.

Anyway, I'm here to tell you that after two Geovanni battles and two rival battles I have beaten Sabrina on my Bug mono-type.

Hey everyone, this was my last update for my Bug mono-type a while ago. Since then, I stopped playing because I went to university. However, I've restarted since then and I've just beaten Blaine who was easier than I thought he would be! I had already beaten Koga when I restarted, so I'll go from then.

After beating Koga, I decided to clear out all of the trainers in the water routes. I did that, including a brief visit to the Seafoam Islands to see Articuno! I finally arrived in Cinnabar and immediately healed up before going to the Pokemon Mansion. I always hate going into the Pokemon Mansion to get the Secret Key, so I spammed repels before finally getting the key and getting Sporax to Dig me out of there! I cleared out the gym trainers easily enough, but I was worried about Blaine who,of course spammed Fire Blast and could potentially destroy my team. So, I did some grinding to get my team up to Lv55 (Yeah, I know). I stocked up on Revives and Hyper Potions and prepared for Blaine. As it turned out, he wasn't as hard as I thought he would be. First, Harmony put Growlithe to sleep and then scored an OHKO with Psychic. Harmony then sent Ponyta to the same fate. I switched to Violet for Rapidash. One Psychic didn't defeat it and Rapidash woke up. However, Violet was able to survive Rapidash's Fire Blast and killed it with Psychic. Finally, it was time for Arcanine. I kept Violet out and used Sleep Powder... but it missed! Arcanine finished Violet off with Take Down and I switched to Harmony, hoping that Sleep Powder would work - it did! Two Psychics got Arcanine down to red health, Blaine healed, but the next Psychic was a critical hit! With no more Potions, Blaine was screwed! Another Psychic defeated Arcanine and secured me the victory!
My team:

;012; Harmony - Butterfree Lv55
Rash Male
Psychic
Silver Wind
Sleep Powder
Gust

;015; Apex - Beedrill Lv55
Bashful Female
Toxic
Aerial Ace
Twineedle
Endeavor

;047; Sporax - Parasect Lv55
Docile Male
Slash
Dig
Giga Drain
Spore

;127; Crux - Pinsir Lv55
Lax Female
Brick Break
Rock Slide
Strength
Submission

;049; Violet - Venomoth Lv55
Jolly Female
Psychic
Gust
Sleep Powder
Return

OK, I'm continuing with my Ruby Fighting mono-type, so stay tuned for an update from that. I hoped you enjoyed reading this!

Metalhead9838772

Fearless Trainer
Will start one in Fire Red, Bug type. Because I hate bug types, this will actually be funny :)D)

So, here goes my team:
In-game team:
- Butterfree ;012; (Bug/Flying)
- Beedrill ;015; (Bug/Poison)
- Parasect ;047; (Bug/Grass)
- Scyther ;123; (Bug/Flying)
- Pinsir ;127; (Trade from LG) (Bug)
- HM Slave(s)

Post-game team:
- Butterfree ;012; (Bug/Flying)
- Beedrill ;015; (Bug/Poison)
- Parasect ;047; (Bug/Grass)
- Scizor ;212; (Bug/Steel)
- Pinsir ;127; (Trade from LG) (Bug)
- Hm Slave(s)

Edit:

UPDATE!

I'm going to challenge the league for the first time.
Team:
- Butterfree ;012; Lv65
- Beedrill ;015; Lv63
- Parasect ;047; Lv64
- Scyther ;123; Lv66
- Pinsir ;127; Lv69
- HM Slave

Last edited:

iwillHM01you

I can't decide what type to do for FR
Can someone give me my type?
I can't trade so not like dragon please :p

Aura Flare Riolu

Cutest Riolu around!
I'm actually going to try something nobody hasn't done yet. (Or at least what I'm aware of)

I'm going to attempt to do a Psychic Monotype Challenge of Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. Whether I'll complete this or not, I dunno, but I am going to at least try to.

Current Team:
Eevee Lv10

I plan to get Claydol, Medicham, Gardevoir, Lunatone and Starmie. I may switch out one for Shadow Lugia if I have trouble with Greevil. And I hope I can find a Trapinch so I can trade it for a Meditite from Duking...

I might have to go off type for around the start of the game but after Lovrina, I should be fine.

I've done some training at Mt. Battle by beating the first 2 Areas and getting TM03 Water Pulse. None of my Pokemon can learn it at this time but it's still good. I'm at the Cipher Lab right now.

Current Team:
Espeon Lv18
Baltoy Lv20

Baltoy just recently learned Selfdestruct. I can't wait to use the Protect strategy with it. Or use Teddiursa as a sacrifice. Haha! Speaking of which, I just got a Nugget from it's Pick Up ability. That's a 1% chance of getting at Lv14. Awesome!

Last edited:

Metalhead9838772

Fearless Trainer
I can't decide what type to do for FR
Can someone give me my type?
I can't trade so not like dragon please :p

Bug is fun to do, which is what I'm doing, but poison or normal could be really fun/frustrating :D

Other than those, ghost could be nice too.

Aura Flare Riolu

Cutest Riolu around!
After beating Team Cipher in Pyrite Town, I head to Phenac City and then waste some time doing Battle CDs at the Realgam Tower lol. I also purified a couple of Pokemon. Now I'm off to train my two new team members at Mt. Battle.

Current Team:
;196; Espeon Lv32
;343; Baltoy Lv31
;280; Ralts Lv20
;307; Meditite Lv20

Man I was so lucky getting Trapinch on my first try from the Rock PokeSpot so I can get Meditite from Duking.

I've beaten Team Cipher Admin Snattle in Phenac City and freed the town. Then I went to Kaminko's Manor and faced off against Robo Groudon and eventually upgraded my scooter to the Hover Scooter so now I can go to the Desert. But not until after I purify two new Pokemon to my team.

Current Team:
;196; Espeon Lv35
;343; Baltoy Lv34
;281; Kirlia Lv27
;307; Meditite Lv30
;177; Natu Lv22
shadow.gif

;337; Lunatone Lv25
shadow.gif

I did say I was going to use Starmie which is right near the end but I completely forgot about Natu so I decided to snag it and add it to my team. I now have a full team and should be able to battle a lot easier.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Wow, it's been forever since I last updated. Well I obtained the Poke Flute in Lavender Town, and then I healed my Pokemon at the Pokemon Center. I decided to travel back to Celadon City since I wanted to arrive in Fuchsia City from the Cycling Road side. I went through Saffron City until I reached Celadon City, and I used the Poke Flute to awaken the sleeping Snorlax that was blocking the entrance to Cycling Road on Route 16. I fought against it and it fainted, then I was allowed access to the main road. As soon as I arrived at the road, I met some Bikers. I challenged them to battles in order to train my team of Water-type Pokemon, and then I headed south. I battled some more Cue Balls and Bikers, and then I arrived at the gate house that led to Fuchsia City. I battled some Bird Keepers on Route 18, and then I stopped at the Fuchsia City Pokemon Center to heal my Pokemon.

;009; - Blastoise level 36
;130; - Gyarados level 35
;134; - Vaporeon level 33

Aura Flare Riolu

Cutest Riolu around!
I went to the Northern Desert and found the missing Cargo Ship S.S. Libra. I met with Team Snagem who stole my Snag Machine. I then go to Outskirt Stand and battled against Miror B. After an easy battle, I met with Hordel and he told me a few things. I then have a easy battle with Willie. After that, I then head off to Snagem's Hideout and get my Snag Machine back. Now I'm off to the Cipher Key Lair to foil their plans.

Current Team:
196.png
Espeon ♂ Lv36
344.png
Claydol Lv36
282.png
Gardevoir ♀ Lv30
308.png
Medicham ♂ Lv37
178.png
Xatu ♂ Lv32
337.png
Lunatone Lv30

By the way, I want to know. What do you guys think of my idea of Monotype Challenging Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness?

Also I don't usually give nicknames to my Pokemon but if you got some ideas, feel free to tell me. :)

Last edited:

Metalhead9838772

Fearless Trainer
Finished my FireRed Bug monotype today!

My final team:
;012; Butterfree Lv83
;015; Beedrill Lv86
;047; Parasect Lv82
;212; Scizor Lv87
;127; Pinsir Lv85
(Hm Slave)

By the way, I want to know. What do you guys think of my idea of Monotype Challenging Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness?
That's actually an awesome idea, I never thought about it (mainly because I don't have that game lol), but it's an awesome idea really.

As for nicknames, you could name your Espeon "Borneo", just for the sake of it :D

Last edited:

Aura Flare Riolu

Cutest Riolu around!
I'm cleared out the Cipher Key Lair. I am now currently training at the Realgam Tower before going to Citadark Isle. Man I'm almost finished with this challenge!

Current Team:
196.png
Sol the Espeon ♂ Lv42
344.png
Rook the Claydol Lv39
282.png
Harmony the Gardevoir ♀ Lv35
308.png
Medicham ♂ Lv42
178.png
Sun-Stare the Xatu ♂ Lv36
337.png
Dusk the Lunatone Lv36

Huge thanks to Meepas on deviantART for the nicknames. I couldn't give one to Medicham because I forgot I got that from Duking so it's a traded Pokemon...Ah well.

I've wanted to do a Psychic Monotype Challenge for a while but there's been a lot of bumps. In Gen 1 and 4, the earliest without trading is Abra and that's really hard to train, let alone catch. In Gen 1, you have to do a lot before getting it so it's really no point. In Gen 4, I won't have another Psychic type for a long time so yeah. I guess the first gym can be an exception to the rule but after that, I'd like to use the actual type I chose. Gen 2 has Unown which is useless. Well I guess it's alright in the first gym but the next Psychic is Slowpoke and the 2nd Gym is Bug so there goes that idea. Gen 3 has Ralts and Abra before the first gym (Only in Emerald, Abra is later on in R/S) but you'll be relying on those 2 for a long time until Lunatone/Solrock in Meteor Falls and I really HATE the Electric Gym. It's pretty much impossible with just those 2.
It is possible in Black and White, you'd have to beat the first Gym normally and then you can get a Munna (Or Musharna if you're lucky) in Dreamyard and Woobat in Wellspring Cave. You'll have to use them for 2 more gyms until Sigilyph in Desert Resort and Gothita/Solosis in Route 5 and 16 and the last one, Elgyem in Celestial Tower. But you won't have a full team without trading. I can trade but I try not to nowadays. I guess I could get Exeggcute, Drowzee, Mr. Mime, Smoochum, Meditite, Spoink, Chimecho and Bronzor from Dream World since you unlock them right away if you're willing to set it up and whatnot.
I've been looking into this game and seeing if I could Monotype it, and yeah, I then decided on doing it on Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness since there's plenty in there and I don't think anybody has done it before so why not?

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to change their levels.

Last edited:

Lorde

After I finished healing my Pokemon at the Fuchsia City Pokemon Center, I headed over to the fishing guru's house and I obtained the Good Rod. I also wandered around town a bit after that, and I visited the Safari Warden's. He couldn't speak since he was missing his teeth, so I headed over to the Safari Zone to locate them. I paid for my entrance into the Safari Zone after that, and I wandered over to the lake in the first area. I used my newly-acquired Good Rod to fish in the water, and I encountered a wild Goldeen. I tossed a Safari Ball at it, and I successfully captured it. I continued to fish around there, but I only found some Magikarp and more Goldeen. I had to leave the Safari Zone after that, and I headed over to Cycling Road to re-battle the trainers there using the VS Seeker; I wanted to train my Goldeen to get her leveled up. I battled for around 30 minutes before saving.

;009; - Blastoise level 37
;130; - Gyarados level 35
;134; - Vaporeon level 34
;118; - Goldeen level 24

Drummerdude

Man if only we could get this thread to be as popular as it used to be.

I've started a Ground Monotype on Ruby version. Since this is a Ground monotype I obviously chose Mudkip as my starter. Once I saved Birch from that Poochyena he let me keep the Mudkip. I trained Mudkip in the grass and then I headed through Oldale Town to battle May. After I beat her Professor Birch gave me a Pokedex and my mom gave me the Running Shoes. I trained Mudkip a little more and then I headed onto Route 102. I beat the first trainer and took a break.

Current Team
258.png

Just started a Dark Monotype challenge in Emerald ^^

In Slateport right now, gearing up against my rival for the 3rd time.
Team so far:
;302; Belphagor the Sableye (20) M
;262; Lucifer the Mightyena (18) M

Planned Team:
;302; Belphagor
;262; Lucifer
;319; Leviathan
;359; Asmodeus
;332; Mammon
;342; Beelzebub

for those of you who don't get the names, they're 6 of the 7 princes of hell.

Drummerdude

I continued to Petalburg and helped Wally with his Ralts. Then I continued through the Petalburg Woods and into Rustboro City. I immediately went to the gym and after the two trainer battles Mudkip evolved into Marshtomp. Roxanne was the gym leader and she fell quickly thanks to Water Gun and Mud Shot. When I left the gym I had to help a Devon Researcher with an issue because of a man dressed in red. While giving chase I captured a Nincada and added it to the team as a punching bag of sorts. After I beat the Team Magma member I received a Pokenav and headed out to Dewford Town.

My first destination was the Granite Cave. There I captured a Geodude which I didn't plan on using until I noticed the Adamant nature. I began training it as I made my way through the dark cave and found Steven. With a letter delivered I continued to the gym where I swapped between Geodude and Marshtomp to get in some training. Brawly was surprisingly easy. Marshtomp just spammed Mud Shot until it fainted. With a new badge I headed to Slateport City.

After I beat Team Magma and delivered some parts I headed towards Mauville City, but not before a battle with May. She was fairly difficult because of Grovyle but Geodude knocked it out with Selfdestruct. I continued on to Mauville, beat Wally, and took out the Mauville Gym with Geodude's Magnitude. After the simple gym battle Geodude evolved into Graveler. I headed north and captured a Numel and I have slowly begun training it.

Current Team
259.png
290.png
75.png
322.png

Lorde

I trained my Pokemon some more, and then I headed south towards Fuchsia City again since I still had to find the Safari Zone warden's missing teeth, the Surf HM and I had to challenge Koga for the Soul Badge. I healed my Pokemon at the local Pokemon Center upon arrival and I went back to the Safari Zone. I entered and I wandered around again. I made it into a new area of the Safari Zone and I found the warden's teeth on the ground. I wandered over to a building afterwards and I obtained the Surf HM from the man inside. I taught Surf to my Blastoise, and then I headed back to Fuchsia City. I purchased some items at the Poke Mart, and then I entered the Fuchsia City Gym. I had to navigate through the Gym and battle against the Gym trainers inside. I bumped into several invisible walls, but I defeated all the Gym trainers eventually. I healed my Pokemon after that and I saved.

;009; - Blastoise level 39
;130; - Gyarados level 36
;134; - Vaporeon level 35
;118; - Goldeen level 28

Drummerdude

Training is a nuisance. I took Numel down the Cycling Path of Route 110 where it spammed Ember on the trainer's Magnemite's. Then my team and I defeated the Trick House twice before I headed back to Mauville. There were a lot of trainers west of the city and once they were all defeated I went back to the Rusturf Tunnel and got Strength. The last trainers I needed to beat were the Winstrate's and once they were taken care of I finally went through the Fiery Path. After healing with the elderly woman I went through a very ashy route and beat some ninjas and such along the way, you know...just you're basic everyday activities. I saved once I reached Fallarbor Town. Team is Lv28-29.

Current Team
259.png
290.png
75.png
322.png

Lorde

I returned to the Fuchsia City Gym after I healed my Pokemon at the local Pokemon Center. I arrived at Koga's location at the middle of the Gym, and I challenged him to a battle. I used my Gyarados against his first Koffing, and I defeated it with Thrash attack. Koga sent out his Weezing after that match, and I used Vaporeon against it. It was a tough battle; my Vaporeon took a lot of damage, but my Blastoise was able to finish it off before things got worse. I used Blastoise against Koga's Muk as well, and I used Surf. It wasn't very effective though, and Muk used Minimize several times so that my Pokemon's moves didn't hit it. It also used Toxic, but I healed Blastoise with an Antidote. I defeated it with another Surf attack, and then I used Gyarados against Koga's final Koffing. I defeated Koffing and I obtained the Soul Badge from Koga. I saved after getting the TM as well.

;009; - Blastoise level 40
;130; - Gyarados level 37
;134; - Vaporeon level 36
;118; - Goldeen level 28

Drummerdude

I beat Team Magma atop of Mt Chimney and I just now realized I forgot to grab the Meteorite...oh well. I went down the Jagged Pass and arrived in Lavaridge where I took on the gym. Numel and Graveler did most of the work in the gym. Flannery was fairly easy seeing as Graveler took out both Slugma's with Magnitude. Her Torkoal was then defeated by Marshtomp's Mud Shot. Once May gave me the Go-Goggles I headed to the desert and captured a Trapinch and a Baltoy. I took a break shortly after the two captures.

Current Team
259.png
290.png
75.png
322.png
328.png
343.png

@edit:
Moved up to the ashy place. Black Glasses boosted Bite from Mightyena is actually pretty good, it's caught up in terms of level now. Went through Fallarbor and got over the meteor fiasco, and went back to get Return. Beat Flannery with a lot of accuracy hax and crit hax in my favor, elaborated below. After getting the goggles, spent half an hour hunting for a male Cacnea I don't kill with crit. It always happens to me, some random move crit kills the pokemon i want to catch (like that shiny swablu...) Anyways. Slapped EXP Share on Mammon the Cacnea and went back to Norman. Got through the gym and beat the Slaking by smart switching between Lucifer and Belphagor to lower his attack on Truant turns and make him miss with Facade against Sableye. Got surf, went to New Mauville to shut it down with Super Repels, surfed across the small river mouth, got the good rod and finally got Beelzebub the Corphish. A Surfer! bye bye mudkip! (btw caught a skarmory for my flyer)

vs Flannery
Lucifer used Howl - Numel used Overheat (does 60% with crit)
Lucifer used Bite (does 90%) - Numel used Overheat (miss)
Flannery used Hyper potion - Lucifer used Howl
Lucifer used Howl - Numel used overheat (miss)
ditto,
ditto,
ditto,
Lucifer used Bite (Numel fainted)
Lucifer used bite (slugma fainted)
Lucifer used bite (does 40% to camerupt) - Camerupt used sunny day
Lucifer used Bite (crits, camerupt fainted)
Lucifer used bite (35% on torkoal) - Torkoal flinched
Lucifer used bite (crit, torkoal fainted)

Last edited:

Lorde

I left the Fuchsia City Gym after winning the Soul Badge and the TM, and I headed over to the local Pokemon Center to heal my injured Pokemon. I finished that and then I visited the Safari Zone Warden's house. I gave him back his missing teeth, which I found at the Safari Zone, and I obtained the HM containing the move Strength from him. I taught the move to my Blastoise and then I headed east towards the route there. I battled some trainers that I hadn't yet battled as I moved north, and then I reached the bridge area. I headed north until I reached Lavender Town, and after shopping for items at the local Poke Mart, I went west until I reached the gates that led to Saffron City. I healed my Pokemon at the Pokemon Center just to make sure that they were all fit, and then I made my way towards Silph Co. since I had to stop Team Rocket's invasion there. I saved once inside.

;009; - Blastoise level 41
;130; - Gyarados level 38
;134; - Vaporeon level 37
;118; - Goldeen level 30