• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Nuzlocke Challenge Thread!

Squiddly Dee

∈ (⊙ ⊖ ⊙) ∋
wow inferno great only 1 death as for my own emerald nuzlocke i havent gotten a chance to play in a while

Thanks. ^^ I'm always incredibly careful in nuzlockes. I've only had two deaths between my two nuzlockes. (one in each)

Pkfire0

I'm a ninja
Thanks. ^^ I'm always incredibly careful in nuzlockes. I've only had two deaths between my two nuzlockes. (one in each)

Unlike me where I fodder to heal

Fenyxfyr

Got a problem?
Hi nuzlocke fans. I'm new to this but have started one on Ruby that is really going slow compared to a normal game.
So far I died before the first gym twice (nutz)
I'm trying again and hope to gawd I can get a flying type or a good water type so I can fly or surf.
I'm in Slateport now with 2 badges
Pyro (torchic) is lvl 18
Dusty (dustox) is lvl 18
Belle-Horn (whismur) is lvl 13
Zigaziggy (guess? yay, zigzagoon) is lvl 12
Nyn-Jadda (nincada) is lvl 16
on standby is
Aron (steelia) at lvl 11
In the graveyard is
Flittrerr my Beautifly (at the Dewford gym)
I'm really excited about having Nyn-Jadda and I'm being very careful not to lose her.
I could use some advice on stategies here. I know I need to get my levels up fast to go on.

Squiddly Dee

∈ (⊙ ⊖ ⊙) ∋
last thing, for nuzlocke, does fishing/surfing in town counts as separate area as well? haha

Yes, towns are separate areas.

Mike Breezy

So, I've never done a Nuzlocke challenge before. But after seeing so many people posting about it, and signatures, I got curious. And I thought "This would be a good time to start playing some of my old generation games again." So, grabbed my Emerald game, read up on the rules, and decided to start up on my first Nuzlocke :D
Since it's my first go, I'm starting off fairly basic. I'm making it to where I can use, and buy recovery items (except revives. Once a Pokemon faints, it's bye bye)

- ACTUALLY STARTING -

Mmmmkay, so I started my journey off. Heard Birch crying like a wuss, so I went and saved his tail with a Treecko. I decided to nickname her, Juniper (Any body wanna guess where I got that from?) I went up route 101, didn't see anything. Went to route 103, leveled Juniper to 7, just so I could legitly pwn May. Juniper beat her Torchic no sweat, and got to level 8 in the process. Healed up at the Poke' Center, and went back to Littleroot. Got some Pokeballs, the Pokedex, and started back up route 101. This is where Nuzlocke fully kicked it (since I can use Poke' Balls now.) I encountered a Poochyena. Juniper scored a Crit, and Poochyena went down.. I was kinda sad, cause I wanted to use a Poochyena really bad. So, I went to route 103 to try my luck, and what do ya know.. Another Poochyena! I was feeling better about this, so I used absorb. That got it about halfway, so I threw my Poke' ball. That was when I caught Feisty, my beloved Poochyena. Starting level grinding Feisty till' 5. After that, I healed up, and went to Route 102. Encountered a Lotad (malem for once.) Caught him easily, and named him I Iz Wet. I wasn't to sure if I wanted another grass type, even if he is part water, so I didn't level him yet. Battled all the trainers here. Feisty had some really close calls, but she managed to send those kids crying in the end. Healed up at Petalburg, and did that whole stupid Wally stuff. Decided that I probably won't use Lotad all that much, so I boxed him. Went to Route 104, and encountered a Wurmple as my Pokemon there. Caught it, no sweat, and named her Just A Bug. I actually let Just A Bug fight a few trainers, and she managed to survive due to inflicting Poison a few times. Due to her luck, she level up to 7, and evolved into a Silcoon. After I fought everyone, I healed, and started for the Petalburg Woods. Found a Shroomish here. Ended up catching, and naming her Shroomie!! Battled everyone in the woods, and got to the Team Aqua guy. Wanted to let Feisty fight against his own kind, so I let him have this fight. A few Howls, a couple of Tackles, Feisty later walked away victorious. Exited the Woods, and saved my game.

Juniper Lvl10 ;252; Feisty Lvl9 ;261; Just A Bug Lvl7 ;266; Shroomie!! Lvl6 ;285;

I Iz Wet Lvl4 ;270;

Love how my current team is all girls..Girl Power!

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)
Once I'm done with my Black Nuzlocke challenge (at the last gym atm) I'll be starting one in ruby. I'll edit this post, probs starting tonight, so keep an eye peeled! :) i'll start tonight even if I dont finish black.
EDIT: since my black nuzlocke challenge failed, *Crys* jk :p, I'll be starting it earlier then i intended. I rly hope this one doesn't screw itself up because of my rival like the last one...
EDIT
Ok I started it! :D My Character name is "HAPPY" in recognition of that being my first pokemon characters name, seeing as ruby was also my first poke game. I was 6, and it was my first video game ever, so needless to say I was pretty happy. My mother didn't want me to get Ruby, but my brother bought it so XD yeha. I put in like 200 hours on him, but for some reason hes not there today so..:( But I also named my Emerald file Happy (more recent one) as recognition, but I lost that!! DX and I had like 100something in my pokedex. hoping I find that...ANYWAYS! I picked Mudkip and named him marshy (also part of first poke game) I don't count the first poke in that route until I have pokeballs so yeah. Oh, heres my restrictions!
~~~Rules~~~
-Basic rules, except the first pokemon doesn't count if I havn't received any pokeballs yet.
-No healing items in battle, but I'm allowing it outside. That killed me horrendously in my Black nulzocke. I was stuck in the middle of the grass with all pokes nearly dead. xD so I'm allowing healing. That also means I'm allowing buying of items. in my Black version I had like 9103851035130581 $ XD jk but you get my point.
-No trading at all.
-No revives, nor max revives. and I'm being more strict on myself about ressetting. If I do (unless it wasn't on purpose) then I have to sacrifice a pokemon I've caught.
Ok, thats about it.
So I went and trained to level 8 before I beat up may, then returned to the town to get my first pokeballs. With this, in route 101 (route lol xD) I caught a zigzagoon that I name sydney, in memory of Sydney the Patrat. xD not using her though. her attack went up +1 after four levels. ..sorry, but no. I then proceeded to catch a Poochyana dued in the route above Odale that I called Bruno, named after my best friends pet dog. Less ferocious, but yeah. :p In route 102 I found a Wurmple, which I disregarded and killed while training Bruno. I saved and quite after I got Marshy to level 10 and Bruno to level 6.

Last edited:

J-star

Dynamic Entry!
Okay so lots-o stuff happened...well not that much. So I went and got Skipper to beat May's treeko and then I got some pokeballs. Next I headed to route 102, and faced a Poochyena. I was less than pleased, (I was hoping for a zigzagoon) I named the Poochyena Paula. Half way through the route on a trainer I realized I had my battle style changed to Set, I decided to keep it as set. I eventually faced the one Lass girl at the end of the route and nearly lost. She had me on the ropes, Skipper almost dead, Paula in the low yellow and the Shroomish had just a bit too much HP for Skipper to faint in one hit. I knew that one of my pokemon was going to die. I sent in Paula and she took the absorb that would have killed Skipper before weakening the Shroomish with a tackle and fainting because of the Shroomish's tackle, but weakening the Shromish enough for Skipper to faint it. After being forced to go to the gym if I wanted to leave Petalburg and helping (watching) Wally catch a pokemon I went to route 104, caught a female Wingull and named her Sora. I then trained her up a bit and I am now heading for Petalburg woods.

Current team:
(M);258;(Skipper) lvl 10
(F);278;(Sora) lvl 7

Dead:
(F);261;(Paula) lvl 3-5
Killed by a Lass who's name I can't remember on route 102

Last edited:

Squiddly Dee

∈ (⊙ ⊖ ⊙) ∋
Hey guys, it's me again, with another nuzlocke update. I'm at Mossdeep city, and I have a problem. With the loss of my only dark type, I know that I really need to grind a lot for the gym there. But, I don't know where to grind. I've beaten and rematched all of the trainers that I can. Can someone help, please?

Team:
;257; (M) Felix Level 45
;267; (F) Eliza Level 43
;271; (M) Rio Level 43
;184; (F) Elsie Level 43
;286; (M) Ceren Level 43
;310; (M) Kai Level 43
Dead:
;262; Level 2-31
Killed by Norman's Slaking

Claus351

Hey guys, it's me again, with another nuzlocke update. I'm at Mossdeep city, and I have a problem. With the loss of my only dark type, I know that I really need to grind a lot for the gym there. But, I don't know where to grind. I've beaten and rematched all of the trainers that I can. Can someone help, please?

Team:
;257; (M) Felix Level 45
;267; (F) Eliza Level 43
;271; (M) Rio Level 43
;184; (F) Elsie Level 43
;286; (M) Ceren Level 43
;310; (M) Kai Level 43
Dead:
;262; Level 2-31
Killed by Norman's Slaking

hmm. I reccomend training in the ice cave maybe? It's not called ice cave but its filled with Spheals and i forgot the name..the one with the tides? yeah. I'm pretty sure theres some trainers up there if you havn't faught them yet. if not I'm not rly sure..just keep grinding on any wild pokes.

Fenyxfyr

Got a problem?
My poor Nyn-Jadda! Taken out while grinding on route 109 by the trainer pair Mel and Paula at lvl 29. *Sigh*, now I have to start leveling one of my other captures so I can get thru New Mauville (current area to finish).
I now have 5 badges and my my current team is:
Trapinch (female) named Vivian (rte 111) lvl 21
Roselia (male) named Ro-Zanauld (think terminator Ah-nold) (rte 117) lvl 18
Linoone (male) named Zigaziggy (rte 104) lvl 40
Combusken (male) named Pyro lvl 28
Lairon (female) named Steelia (granite cave) lvl 32
Goldeen (male) named GOLDeHAWN (fishing in Petalburg City) lvl 27

On standby is
Ruth my (male) Swablu lvl 24, caught on rte 114 at lvl 15
Belle-Horn my (female) Loudred lvl 28, caught in Rusturf Tunnel as Whismur at lvl 6
Dusty my (male) Dustox lvl 28, caught as a cascoon in Petalburg Woods at lvl 5
Corpsys my Shedinja lvl 20, as my Nincada, Nyn-Jadda evolved into Ninjask
Lyme-Lyte my (f) Electrike lvl 13 UT, on rte 110
Hunka-Hunk my (m) Machop lvl 14 UT, on rte 112
LorettaLyn my (f) Torkoal lvl 15 UT, on Fiery Path
Karen my (f) Spinda lvl 14 UT, on rte 113
Isabell my (f) Zubat lvl 20 UT, in Meteor Falls
The Egg from the lady at the hotsprings (? Not sure if this is a 'legal' pokemon so I have boxed it for now)
Magmacartr my (m) Numel lvl 18 UT, at Jagged Pass
Krakenna my (f) Tentacool lvl 34 UT, rte 115 (Wow, I didn't expect something at that level)
Gullie my (f) Wingull lvl 10 UT, rte 106
Duracell my Voltorb lvl 26 UT in New Mauville.
I didn't run into anything on rte 108 that I didn't already have so I'll go back when I have the good rod to fish for something (anything but Magicarp please!)
I've have a few close calls, especially with "Dad" in Petalburg I'm really glad that I bought out the store for potions since I had no fighting types and I used my incredible Zigaziggy for most of it (his headbutt was very useful).
I really have a lot of grinding to do to get through New Mauville, I can't seem to get beyond the second sliding wall before I must retreat and heal up. With the death of my beloved Nyn-Jadda I have had to teach cut to another poke, Ro-Zanauld.
I also could not believe my luck when I fished up Goldeen in Petalburg City with the old rod instead of a Magicarp. I've gotten some before, but never this early on. I was actually planning to take the M-carp to daycare so I could evolve it quicker.
I'm off to grind some more I'll update you all once I get to the Weather Institute.

Fenyxfyr

Got a problem?
I have a few questions on my Nuzlocke.
Is the Safari Zone considered one area for the Nuzlocke? Or is subdividable?
I'm about to go into the Cave of Origin, can I catch and permabox Groudon? (I know I can't use legendaries, I'm not sure if that also means no catching either).
And what level should I be aiming for when I go up against the elite 4 (I'm thinking 70)
Thanks in advance from this Nuzlocke Newbie.

eltigras

I have started a nuzlocke challenge in sapphire and after a long time playing I am at the fifth gym now.

Team
Skipper (Marshtomp) lvl 30
Mush (Breloom) lvl 27
Vulcan (Numel) Lvl 30
Jekyl (Sableye) lvl 30
Burp (Swalot) lvl 30
Cosmos (Kirlia) lvl 30

In box
Elson (Tentacool) lvl 5
Nolan (Whismur) lvl 7
Elina (Roselia) lvl 13
Bounce (Spoink) lvl 20
Batron (Zubat) lvl 17
Povel (Swellow) lvl 22
Panda (Spinda) lvl 15
Lava (Slugma) lvl 15
Sting (Cacnea) lvl 19
Horus (Ninjask) lvl 21
Shedinja lvl 21

Dead
Cotton (Swablu) lvl 27
Ayden (Wingull) lvl 13

I am now training for the fifth gym and it's gonna be difficult but with Jekyl and Mush it will all be good.

KantoMasta

call me KM!
;001;I started a FR nuzlocke recently, and havent got very far. I started with a female bulbasaur and named her Rose. I then caught a male mankey named Fhil, and a female Rattata named Lily. Then, in grinding, Fhil died. :'( Now, Lily and Rose are getting through Viridian Forest with a new teammate, Needle the Weedle!

Team
Rose ( ;001; , lv 8, F)
Lily ( ;019; , lv 7, F)
Needle ( ;013; , lv 3, F)

Box
None

Dead
Fhil, died while training, R.I.P 3-3 ;056;

Last edited:

Claus351

^the location you're looking for is called "Shoal Cave"

You Welcome.

Have fun with Nuzlocke~ :D

yeah, thast it, thanks. :p I havn't played through r/s/e in a forever or two. I'm going to on my scramble challenge on emerald and my nuzlocke on ruby. which I've been forgetting to update. but nothing besides grinding really.
team
Marshy the mudkip
Bluewing the wingull (not pelliper, sorry)
Sydney the zigzagoon

eltigras

I managed to defeat Norman with Mush and Jekil and in the mean time I also defeated Winona with Vulcan, Cosmos and Burp.
Also did I manage to catch a bunch of new pokemon to my collection, including a shiny zigzagoon in petalburg woods.
I am now training for the battle against Tate & Liza.

My team now

Skipper (Swampert) lvl 37
Mush (Breloom) lvl 37
Vulcan (Camerupt) Lvl 37
Jekyl (Sableye) lvl 37
Burp (Swalot) lvl 37
Cosmos (Gardevoir) lvl 37

In box
Elson (Tentacool) lvl 5
Nolan (Whismur) lvl 7
Elina (Roselia) lvl 13
Bounce (Spoink) lvl 20
Batron (Zubat) lvl 17
Povel (Swellow) lvl 22
Panda (Spinda) lvl 15
Lava (Slugma) lvl 15
Sting (Cacnea) lvl 19
Horus (Ninjask) lvl 21
Shedinja lvl 21
Wiet (Oddish) lvl 26
Liram (Marill) lvl 30
Trodelec (voltorb) lvl 25
Karper (Magikarp) lvl 22
Piet (Castform) lvl 25
Krelin (Linoone) lvl 27
Hielke (Kecleon) lvl 30
Hide (Shuppet) lvl 28
Schizo (Girafarig) lvl 27
Twin (Doduo) lvl 27
Donald (Psyduck) lvl 28
Ariel (Goldeen) lvl 17
Psybird (Natu) lvl 25
Lovely (Gloom) lvl 25
Eli (Phanpy) lvl 29
Yoga (Meditite) lvl 27
Shine (S. Zigzagoon) lvl 7

Dead
Cotton (Swablu) lvl 27
Ayden (Wingull) lvl 13

Fenyxfyr

Got a problem?
My Ruby Nuzlocke is in stasis right now (busy grinding to level everyone up to take on the elite 4). So as to not get too bored I started another standard Nuzlocke on my Emerald. So far I have 2 badges and am getting ready to leave Dewford and head off to Slateport.
My team so far:
Emberyl, my Torchic at lvl 13
Thor, my Poochyena at lvl 12, caught on rte 103
Morel, my Shroomish at lvl 16, caught in Petalburg Woods
Boombox, my Whismur at lvl 17, caught in Rusturf Tunnel
Spyke, my Aron at lvl 10, caught in Granite Cave
Strykr, my Taillow at lvl 20, caught on rte 116

On standby:
Sashimi, my Magicarp at lvl 10, cought on the Old Rod in Dewford Town

The Graveyard:
Ayre, my Wingull lvl 5 to lvl 12 while taking on the Rustboro Gym Leader R.I.P.