• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Nuzlocke Challenge Thread!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Upon arrival in Saffron City, I explored the city and then I went to Lavender Town since I finally had the Silph Scope which could finally identify the ghosts inside the Pokemon Tower. I wandered over there after purchasing some items at the local Poke Mart and I started climbing up the tower and I encountered some Channelers on my way up. I battled their Ghost-type Pokemon and I caught a wild Gastly that I nicknamed Jason and stored. I arrived at a purification zone and healed my team, then I kept battling trainers until I arrived at a stairway and I battled Marowak, the ghost of Cubone's mother. I defeated her and then I arrived at the summit where I had to battle some Team Rocket grunts to rescue Mr. Fuji.

;003; - Celery Lv. 32
;017; - Pigeon Lv. 30
;012; - Mushi Lv. 28
;033; - Quill Lv. 28
;075; - Rocky Lv. 27
;064; - Casey Lv. 28

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Part 6
Forgot to write down what happened after part 5, so I'm just going off by memory. In fact I feel like just writing like this from now on, I'm also gonna pass on writing the whole turn by turn for both Gym's and Rival battles unless there's something amazing to talk about. I will however put a turn by turn log when I face the Elite Four since those are really intense.

After doing some training Fornax piratically took care of Misty's Gym by himself. I then decided to leave Cerulean City and head towards the next Gym. Traveled along Route 5 the first Pokemon I saw was another Pidgey, decided to pass on that. After walking through the underground tunnel I entered into Route 6. Unfortunately the Pokemon I see on this Route is yet another Pidgey so I passed it again. I took care of all the trainers on Route 6 and made my way into Vermilion City.
After healing up at the Pokemon Center I head straight to Diglett's Cave, what Pokemon did I happen to catch inside this particular cave. A Dugtrio...I wish, just got myself a regular Diglett and named her Gemini. After leaving the cave I headed towards Route 11 and found a Spearow, however Orion decided to burn it and it died. I was playing pretty late at this point and some things happened while battling the trainers. As I was playing and letting Orion get some of the finishing kills, I kept blindingly pressing A while Orion was Poisoned and Confused(a deadly combo). Sadly Orion hit himself in confusion bring him down to red and Poison ended him.
After that I started to focus more cause I nearly let Indus, Fornax, and Crater all suffer the same fate as Orion. I called it quit's before I actually made another mistake that night, went straight to the Pokemon Center and called it a night. Giving Orion a proper resting place I decided to head by out. With the S.S Anne ticket in hand I make my way onto the cruise ship. I started taking on all the trainers, one trainer's Growlithe was very annoying using Roar. I found some random berries in the Kitchen trash cans. An I made my way to the Deck of the boat and would soon finish off the other trainers.

;020; Indus Lv 23
;017; Lyra Lv 21
;027; Crater Lv 18
;041; Scorpius Lv 19
;069; Fornax Lv 21
;050; Gemini Lv 22
;015; Monoceros Lv 11, Crit Rock Tomb by Onix
;005; Orion Lv 22, Confusion + Poison damage

Last edited:

Lorde

After defeating all the Team Rocket grunts at the summit of the Pokemon Tower, I spoke to Mr. Fuji there and we returned to his house in Lavender Town. I then received the Poke Flute item from him as thanks for rescuing him. I healed my Pokemon once more at the local Pokemon Center and then I went south towards Route 12. I wandered around the bridges and battled some trainers there. After fishing a bit with my Old Rod, I passed through a gatehouse and I arrived at a section of the bridge that was blocked by a sleeping Snorlax. I awoke the sleeping Snorlax with my new Poke Flute and battled and beat it. I headed west towards Route 11 and I soon arrived in Vermilion City and I wandered back to Saffron City.

;003; - Celery Lv. 33
;017; - Pigeon Lv. 31
;012; - Mushi Lv. 29
;033; - Quill Lv. 28
;075; - Rocky Lv. 28
;064; - Casey Lv. 28

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Part 7
I continued fighting the other trainers on the S.S Anne. Eventually meeting up with my Rival and the battle went smoothly, hardly a challenge really. Made my way to the Captain and received HM01 Cut to get inside Vermillion Cities Gym. After leaving the S.S Anne I went to the Pokemon Center to heal and switched my team for Libra to learn Cut. I made my way to Vermillion's Gym and like many other players this Gym has the most annoying puzzle. Luckily for me I managed to find the two keys on the first try so not much complaining. I let Crater take care of the trainers inside and he evolved. When I fought Lt. Surge I didn't have any trouble at all Gemini sweeped his entire team.
Now with my third badge at hand it was time to move on to the next. I headed back to Cerulean City and on to Route 9, the Pokemon I first encountered was a Pidgey and I passed it. Made my way to Route 10 and tried my luck at getting another Pokemon. The first encounter was a Spearow didn't really want it, then I headed inside Rock Tunnel. I must be really unlucky with encounters since my first encounter is a Zubat and I really don't need two. Even though I don't have HM 05 Flash I've played enough of Kanto that I know the entire Rock Tunnel like the back of my hand. After beating all the trainers and leaving with my team barely standing I managed to get to Lavendar Town.
After healing up my team I traveled along Route 8, and my streak of finding Pokemon that I don't really want continues on Route 8. I did however encountered a Meowth but unfortunately it fainted. Now entering Celadon City I went straight to the building with Eevee, not getting anything for the longest time it's nice to finally get something. I named him Octans and then went to the Pokemart or Mall and grabbed a Water Stone to evolve him into Vaporeon. After doing that I went to take on the Gym Leader Erika, with Lyra on my side this Gym was going to be another easy sweep. Lyra solo'd all the trainers but I ran into a small bit of trouble with Erika's Victeerbel. It para haxed both Lyra and Indus but she was still easy to beat. Now with my fourth Gym badge I decided to see what was up with the Game Corner.
Seeing a Team Rocket Grunt I couldn't help myself to talk to him and figure out what he was doing. After beating him I pushed the button behind the poster that he was guarding which revealed stairs leading down. I stumbled upon Team Rocket's Hideout so it's time to clean house. Gemini evolves while taking care of the Grunts. Finally after reaching the end I meet Giovanni the leader of Team Rocket. Fornax was taking care of his pokes but his Kangaskhan was trouble. I tried using Stun Spore but it was faster and it used Mega Punch which killed Fornax. I tried to out speed it with Gemini using Magnitude, luckily it kept using Tail Whip. Why couldn't it have done that with Fornax because it literally used nothing but Tail Whip. After 3 Magnitude's finally ending with a 9 Gemini finished off his Kangaskhan. I swear in previous Nuzlocke's his Kangaskhan always takes out at least one of my Pokes if I don't have any Fighting types. Giovanni left behind the Silph Scope allowing me to see Ghost Pokemon so I'm heading to Pokemon Tower in Lavendar Town.

;020; Indus Lv 30
;017; Lyra Lv 32
;028; Crater Lv 31
;041; Scorpius Lv 20
;050; Gemini Lv 28
;134; Octans Lv 25
;070; Fornax Lv 27 Mega Punch by Kangaskhan

Lorde

I headed west to Celadon City and after buying items at the Department Store, I headed to Route 16. I encountered another sleeping Snorlax there and I used the Poke Flute to awaken it. I battled the Snorlax and I defeated it, then I proceeded into the gatehouse that led into Cycling Road. I battled some Bikers there upon arrival and then I headed south, downhill through Route 17. I battled more Bikers and I eventually arrived at the southern gatehouse and I entered Route 18. I battled some trainers and wild Pokemon in the tall grass and then I arrived in Fuchsia City. I visited the local Pokemon Center and healed my team there, then I headed over to some houses and then to the Safari Zone building and saved.

;003; - Celery Lv. 34
;017; - Pigeon Lv. 32
;012; - Mushi Lv. 30
;033; - Quill Lv. 29
;075; - Rocky Lv. 29
;064; - Casey Lv. 29

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
It's been a few days, I made my way to Lavendar Town's Pokemon Tower. I faced off against my Rival and pretty much creamed him, even with set option I was able to beat his team so easily. Scorpius learns bite making it pretty great against the Ghost Pokemon. Of course the first pokemon I see is a Gastly and I do catch him, and named him Pyxis. I manage to get through the whole Tower with just Scorpius and beat the Team Rocket Grunts and save Mr. Fuji. He rewards me with the Pokeflute which I can use to wake up Snorlax.
With the flute in hand I gladly go and wake up Snorlax in hopes to catch him. I do get Snorlax and nickname him Hercules I'm so happy now. I continue on through Route 12, 13, 14, and even 15 to reach Fuchsia City. On the way I catch a Krabby and named her Genni on Route 13 after getting the Super Rod, but pass Routes 14 and 15 for now. It's now time for a little grinding and go back through Routes 16, 17, and 18 or the experience.

;020; Indus Lv 31
;017; Lyra Lv 33
;028; Crater Lv 33
;143; Hercules Lv 32
;050; Gemini Lv 30
;134; Octans Lv 29
;070; Fornax Lv 27 Mega Punch by Kangaskhan

Lorde

Inside the Safari Zone lobby, I paid a fee and I was given 30 Safari Balls from the attendant and I was allowed to roam around the area for a limited amount of time. I caught a wild Rhyhorn while I moved around the first couple of areas and nicknamed it Carl. I also encountered a Kangaskhan, but it fled before I could capture it. I found a Doduo in another part of the Safari Zone, then I encountered a wild Tauros but it fled as well after I threw some bait at it. I headed deeper into the Safari Zone, but my time limit ran out so I had to return to the lobby. I headed back into the Safari Zone after paying another fee and I encountered some more wild Pokemon and soon I found the Gold Teeth that I was supposed to find.

;003; - Celery Lv. 34
;017; - Pigeon Lv. 32
;012; - Mushi Lv. 30
;033; - Quill Lv. 29
;075; - Rocky Lv. 29
;064; - Casey Lv. 29

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Out of boredom of mindlessly grinding on Route 18, I was itching to take on Koga. It would be something I would regret cause I'm sure most of you can guess what happened.
Like my previous Nuzlocke run's Koga is one of the most challenging Gym fights when I'm not fully prepared. With the battle on Set it does make battling slightly harder of course since you can't switch out before your opponent. By defeating his Koffing which was easy to do he then sends out Muk. His Muk is so annoying by starting off with Minimize I had switched to Gemini in hopes of getting a Magnitude 8-10. It misses the first turn an I can already tell this is going to end badly. He continues to use Minimize another 2 times which pretty much leaves me no chance at hitting it. It then proceeds to use both Acid Armor and Sludge. First Gemini die's, next is Indus, Crater managed to survival a while. He was slowly able to bring Muk down to red but Koga kept using Hyper Potions. Once Crater died the rest followed up until Lyra. She put up quite a fight being able to land a crit to finally take out his Muk. Got poisoned by his other Koffing and once Lyra took it down she die's to poison, I used the last of my potions on Crater.

So unfortunately Koga defeated me meaning this Nuzlocke run is over. Time to move on to the next and hopefully I'll have better luck in Soul Silver.

Lorde

After I found the Safari Zone warden's lost Gold Teeth, I headed deeper into the Safari Zone and I eventually found a building where I got the Surf HM that I was also searching for. My time ran out once I was back outside and I returned to the lobby. I visited the warden's house afterwards and I gave him his teeth back and received the Strength HM from him. I tested it out inside by pushing a boulder, then I went west to Route 18 to do some training. After leveling up my Pokemon, I headed over to the Fuchsia City Gym to challenge the Gym Leader. I battled my way around the maze of invisible walls and I beat Gym trainers with some difficulty. I healed my Pokemon once more before returning to the Gym and saved.

;003; - Celery Lv. 37
;017; - Pigeon Lv. 34
;012; - Mushi Lv. 31
;034; - Quill Lv. 32
;075; - Rocky Lv. 32
;064; - Casey Lv. 33

LopunnyBunny

: Please Shine
Maybe it's because of the news of ORAS, but I've really been wanting to start a Nuzlocke in Gen 3. Rules seem to vary from person to person so I'll list what I'll be following:

* Catch the FIRST Pokemon of a new route.
- If the Pokemon faints, or is unable to be caught there won't be another chance to reclaim it.
* If a Pokemon in the party faints it must be boxed or released.
* Shiny Pokemon do not apply to these first two rules.
* Caught Pokemon must be nicknamed.
* In-Game trades/Gifts will not be used.
* Pokemon Daycare is banned.
* HM Pokemon may be caught for the purpose of using HM(s) ONLY. (No battle purposes)

If I think of any other rules during my Nuzlocke I'll come back and reedit this post. I don't know about others, but I personally like using a Randomized ROM to play my Nuzlocke on. Randomized starters and Pokemon just make things more interesting for me. Lastly, Legendary Pokemon will be enabled on my game, but I won't be catching/using them. Trainers/Gym Leaders may have them though which gives the Nuzlocke even more of a challenge for me.

I'll post an update soon on my progress when I begin my Nuzlocke Challenge. :)

Lorde

After Gym Leader Koga had been defeated and I won the Soul Badge, I left to the local Pokemon Center and I healed my injured Pokemon.I left town and wandered to Lavender Town and I bought some items at the local Poke Mart. I then decided that I would challenge the Saffron City Gym for the Marsh Badge, since my Pokemon weren't strong enough to battle against Blaine yet. I entered Saffron City and as expected, it was swarmed with Team Rocket grunts. I had to enter Silph Co. first in order to liberate it from Team Rocket. I got into the second floor of the building and I had to face off against many Team Rocket grunts. I eventually left the building after going up two more floors, since my team needed to be healed.

;003; - Celery Lv. 37
;017; - Pigeon Lv. 35
;012; - Mushi Lv. 33
;034; - Quill Lv. 34
;075; - Rocky Lv. 34
;064; - Casey Lv. 34

Joth

Back from the Dead
Sapphire Nuzlocke Joth style is a go!

Extra rules:
•I can only use the starter I dislike the most (This happens to be my least favorite Pokémon and it's family, Blazicken... *shudder*
•I can not use any of my favorites, like Absol, Gardevoir, Torkoal, or Aggron.
•I cannot use Legendaries.
•If one of my Pokémon dies, I may not use another of it's species again, however, if it's evolution can be caught, I can use that.
•I can use revives, ONLY if I find them as items, never bought.

All other Nuzlocke rules apply.

I will update after every "Checkpoint", I.E. when I save and quit.

So, without further ado, let's begin. I have already beaten May on route 103 at time of writing. I have chosen Torchic *wretches* as my starter. It is male and his name is Lunch... Because that is all he is good for!

My team:
[SPOIL]Lunch: Lv. 7 Male Torchic[/SPOIL]

Boxed:
[SPOIL]None.[/SPOIL]

Casualties:
[SPOIL]None, thus far.[/SPOIL]

Lorde

I kept moving through Silph Co. while battling Team Rocket grunts. I eventually managed to obtain a Key and I accessed some locked rooms. I picked up some extra items and I even healed my Pokemon thanks to a woman by the beds. I headed over to the third floor again and I used a warp panel to teleport to another room. I met my rival there and I had to battle him. I managed to defeat him and then I obtained a Lapras from an employee there. I headed back down and I visited the Pokemon Center to heal my Pokemon again and to deposit the Lapras in the PC. I went back to Silph Co. and I arrived at the 11th floor and battled against Giovanni. I defeated him and I got a Master Ball as a gift from the president.

;003; - Celery Lv. 39
;017; - Pigeon Lv. 36
;012; - Mushi Lv. 34
;034; - Quill Lv. 36
;075; - Rocky Lv. 36
;064; - Casey Lv. 36

Joth

Back from the Dead
Episode 2: Getting Into Stride

After defeating May easily, I went back to the Birch Pokémon lab where Birch commended me and gave me my Pokédex and some Pokéballs. Wasting no time, I headed out to route 102. The first Pokémon I encountered was a level two Male Wurmple... But unfortunately I had forgotten one of my rules: I may not use a Pokémon I have used before in my other saves. This included Wurmple and both of it's evolutions, because I had used Beautifly and Dustox in my Ruby and Sapphire games, respectively, for the first few gyms.

And so, I headed to Route 103 past Oldale town, where I encountered a Lv. 2 female Zigzagoon, whom I caught with Lunch and named Daisy Duke, after the Dukes of Hazzard chick due to Linoone's speed. I then healed Daisy with a potion and caught her up level wise, and headed for Route 104 after restocking on potions. There I met a Lv. 4 male Lotad. I figured his double Special stabs would be helpful on my journey, and so I captured him with Daisy Duke and named him Fiesta.

I then battled a Youngster and a Bug Catcher to help Fiesta catch up. That is where I saved. I would have played through to Rustbourough city, but for it being a school night.

My Team:
[SPOIL]Lunch: Lv. 8 Male Torchic
Daisy Duke: Lv. 6 Female Zigzagoon
Fiesta: Lv. 5 Male Lotad[/SPOIL]

Boxed:
[SPOIL]None.[/SPOIL]

Casualties:
[SPOIL]None. Let's keep it that way.[/SPOIL]

Lorde

I left Silph Co. after defeating Giovanni and Team Rocket there and visited the Fighting Dojo next. I battled against the trainers there and after beating the Karate Master, I got to choose one of the Fighting-type Pokemon in the back to keep and I chose Hitmonlee. I headed over to the local Pokemon Center afterwards to deposit Hitmonlee, then after visiting the Copycat's house, I went to the Saffron City Gym to challenge it. I stepped on some warp tiles and I was sent all over the Gym and I battled Gym trainers at different corners of said Gym. I teleported around trying to figure out how to get to Gym Leader Sabrina's place after beating all the Gym trainers and then I saved the game upon arrival at her location.

;003; - Celery Lv. 40
;018; - Pigeon Lv. 37
;012; - Mushi Lv. 35
;034; - Quill Lv. 37
;075; - Rocky Lv. 37
;064; - Casey Lv. 37

AztecWarrior

Water Type Master
I started an Emerald run a couple days ago and to spice it up I made it into a randomizer run, which means that all the wild pokemon I encounter are completely random, even my starter.

So far I just beat Roxanne and im in dewford about to fight Brawly after training a bit in Defword cave.

Current Team:
Demyx lv19 ;061; (My Starter)
Goggles lv17 ;048; (Route 102)
Ton-Ton lv16 ;322; (Route 116)
Nuova lv7 ;147; (Rusturf Tunnel) I dont think ill be using it much since its weak until it evolves <_<
Millie lv7 ;241; (Fishing in petalburg city and its adamant nature too)
Big Zigs lv8 ;263; (HM Buddy and found in the Granite cave and also my most recent catch)

In Storage:
Freya lv6 ;043; (Petalburg Woods)
Silky lv6 ;265; (Route 103 and also my first catch)
Pixie lv5 ;173; (fishing at Dewford)
Pisces lv5 ;194; (Route 104)

Last edited:

Lorde

I challenged Sabrina and I had a tough time against her. Sabrina used her Kadabra first and I used Mushi against it. I got in a few hits with Mushi, but I eventually had to switch out to Pigeon. Luckily Pigeon defeated Sabrina's Kadabra and then I had to face off against her Venomoth. Rocky was able to defeat Venomoth quite easily and then I had to battle against Sabrina's Mr. Mime. I used Celery against it, but it wasn't able to score too many strong attacks, so I used Rocky again. I managed to beat Mr. Mime eventually, then I sent out Casey to deal with Sabrina's Alakazam. I attacked it continuously and I switched to Pigeon and Mushi as well, then I finally obtained the Marsh Badge and the Gym's TM and then I saved.

;003; - Celery Lv. 41
;018; - Pigeon Lv. 38
;012; - Mushi Lv. 36
;034; - Quill Lv. 37
;075; - Rocky Lv. 38
;064; - Casey Lv. 38

ToNeS

I've decided to start a Nuzlocke challenge in Pokemon Ruby with my own set of rules along with the standard ones.
  • No Starter Pokemon.
  • TM's are allowed.
  • Battle Style is Shift.
  • No Rare Candies are allowed.

• Started in Littleroot Town and did the introduction parts of the game.
  • Caught Poochyena and named it Doge.
  • Went through Petalburg City and helped Wally catch a Ralts.
  • Caught a Wingull and named it Gullwings (reference to FFX-2).
  • Went through Petalburg Woods and caught a Shroomish and nicknamed it Armstrong.
  • Doge dies to a critical hit Taclke from a Lass's Zigzagoon.
  • Reached Rustboro City and headed towards the route near it.
  • Found Nincada to my surprise and nicknamed it Debugger (as a reference to my course I'm studying which Games Development and pun intended).
  • Went inside Rusturf Tunnel and caught a Whismur. Nicknamed it Subwoofer.
  • Headed back to Rustboro City to heal and save.

My team so far:
;290; Debugger - Lvl8
;293; Subwoofer - Lvl5
;278; Gullwings - Lvl12
;285; ArmStrong - Lvl12

GraveBox
;261; Doge - Lvl11

Lorde

After I defeated Sabrina at the Saffron City Gym, I healed my Pokemon. I then purchased items at the Poke Mart and then I headed south to Vermilion City. I went to Diglett's Cave for a little while, then I headed east towards the bridge area of Kanto. I went south and I re-battled the trainers there using the VS Seeker since I wanted to get some training in before battling Blaine. I eventually reached Fuchsia City and deposited Mushi and I got to Route 19 and I Surfed. I battled Swimmers on my way to the Seafoam Islands, then I entered the caverns when I arrived. I trained against the wild Pokemon inside, then I started pushing boulders through holes so that I could change the directions of the currents. I then saved.

;003; - Celery Lv. 41
;018; - Pigeon Lv. 38
;034; - Quill Lv. 38
;075; - Rocky Lv. 38
;064; - Casey Lv. 39

ToNeS

• Trained my pokemon in the route near Rustboro City.
  • Defeated Roxanne with Armstrong.
  • Saved an old man's Wingull and retrieved the Goods.
  • Gave the goods back and received a PokeNav.
  • Went to Dewford Town and delivered the letter to Steven.
  • Caught an Aron along the way and nicknamed it Mechasaur.
  • Defeated Brawly with Gullwings and Armstrong.
  • Headed for Slateport City to heal and save there.
  • Went to a grassy area up north of Slateport City and caught myself an Electrike. Nicknamed it Gigavolt and deposited it as a backup.

My team so far:
;290; Debugger - Lvl16
;293; Subwoofer - Lvl17
;278; Gullwings - Lvl16
;285; ArmStrong - Lvl17
;304; Mechasaur - Lvl16

Boxed
;309; Gigavolt - Lvl12

Grave
;261; Doge - Lvl11

Last edited: