• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Aquarelle

Staff member
Just a reminder to everyone: This is the recent happenings thread, so your posts here *must* describe something you've done on your games recently. Solely posting to comment on other people's posts is off-topic and spammy. Thanks.

~~~~~
A few days ago, I entered a Contest on Emerald. I had my most recent Battle Frontier team in my party and noticed that the Starmie I'd been using only had an Effort Ribbon (which surprised me, though I might've been thinking of my other Starmie), so I decided to get it a Contest ribbon. I picked the Beauty category, so I made and fed it a few Pokeblocks, then entered the Contest. My first try went pretty well, or so I thought, but then I somehow barely lost the Contest in the end. That was a total WTF?! moment, since it was Normal Rank and I really didn't think I did that bad, but a quick soft reset got rid of the problem. I tried again and won pretty easily.

Last edited:

genwinner

HM 06: Blast
Just a reminder to everyone: This is the recent happenings thread, so your posts here *must* describe something you've done on your games recently. Solely posting to comment on other people's posts is off-topic and spammy. Thanks.

How are we supposed to show folks that we're interested in reading their posts if we don't respond? There's no point in posting otherwise.

Got my gold trainer card after completing the 5 contests. Currently checking IVs on 30 nincadas for a shedinja for battle tower.

Aquarelle

Staff member
How are we supposed to show folks that we're interested in reading their posts if we don't respond? There's no point in posting otherwise.

Got my gold trainer card after completing the 5 contests. Currently checking IVs on 30 nincadas for a shedinja for battle tower.
By doing just what you've done in this post...you replied to a post AND included information on your recent happenings. That's all I'm asking - it's fine to show interest in other posts as long as you include on-topic content in your post.

genwinner

By doing just what you've done in this post...you replied to a post AND included information on your recent happenings. That's all I'm asking - it's fine to show interest in other posts as long as you include on-topic content in your post.

But what about folks that haven't played gen 3 recently, but still want to encourage others in the forum? They have to get out their copy, play a bit, and then they're allowed to post? It just seems a bit anti-discussion, is all. I would have thought that for such a dead subforum, any kind of positive discussion would be encouraged to entice other folks to come back and be active. Perhaps if the thread were "recent happenings and discussion", then the barrier to entry would be lower, and more folks could chat.

Or, should I make a "gen 3 general chat" thread if we're not allowed to chat here without in-game progress? Let me know what the best solution is.

Farmed the final amount of ~7000 soot, and got my Pretty Chair to complement the Pretty Desk in my secret base. They perfectly match the art museum sculpture, which is nice. It's tricky to decorate with the low limit on objects in the base, so my Pretty Table looks pretty bare -- I could only fit a Baltoy and Mudkip doll on the table.

Only 2/30 Nincadas have +atk natures. Time to get more eggs.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Or, should I make a "gen 3 general chat" thread if we're not allowed to chat here without in-game progress? Let me know what the best solution is.
This sounds like it could work, so I'd be okay with a thread like this.
Or, if you have a specific topic in mind, you could create a thread specifically about it (similar to your Battle Tower thread).

jginz1

Shiny Hunter
Last time on Firered I made it through Rock Tunnel (without using Flash) and I evolved my Wartortle into a Blastoise. I am currently shiny hunting for a Clefairy at the Game Corner and from there I will try to get my 4th gym badge

Aquarelle

Staff member
Today, I spent some time on Emerald getting some Pokemon & items to Pal Park to HeartGold and then transfer all the way to Sun. First, I got several Ditto with different Natures, which I plan to use for easier Nature breeding on Sun since the Ditto will have a different OT from most of the Pokemon I'll breed.

After that, I went to the Safari Zone to see if I could find any interesting Pokemon to catch in Safari Balls. I ended up finding a Teddiursa and a Pineco and captured both of them. Next, I looked through my PC for two more Pokemon to transfer, and ended up deciding on a Slowking and Milotic, both of which I need for my Sun's Pokedex.

Finally, I gave useful items to the Pokemon I gathered (things like TMs and vitamins) and then Pal Parked them to HeartGold.

You know that Emerald cartridge I mentioned ages ago now? Well, it took me months to finally get it to work, but I've had a problem - it keeps cutting out on me at random points, forcing me to switch the GameBoy off and on again. I managed to create a save file, and nearly managed to turn on the clock, but I need to sort out all the dust in the console before I can play more. But, you should be expecting more of me soon!

genwinner

You know that Emerald cartridge I mentioned ages ago now? Well, it took me months to finally get it to work, but I've had a problem - it keeps cutting out on me at random points, forcing me to switch the GameBoy off and on again. I managed to create a save file, and nearly managed to turn on the clock, but I need to sort out all the dust in the console before I can play more. But, you should be expecting more of me soon!

If you have a tri-wing screwdriver, you could pull apart the casing and give the connectors a light rub with a pink eraser to clean them off. You might also look at all the exposed copper (eg like the pass-throughs -- those tiny holes that go through the board that connect wiring on one side to the other) and make sure that there's no gunk or anything bridging two of them. Be very gentle. Also, if you're going to be touching the circuit board, make sure you're grounded (eg wearing a grounding wire)/ touch something metal before doing anything.

----

Recently I've ebayed a copy of Emerald, so I beat it twice, and am thus up to 377/380 on my Sapphire dex. I've just started my third run to collect Chikorita. I expect this run to be pretty short -- the first one was ~80 hours, the second ~12, so hopefully this one will be ~4-5. I'm not following a speedrun route precisely, but vaguely am. I made some duplicates of important things (TM 26, TM 06, PP Max, level 100 Blissey, etc), and had fun with the pomeg glitch to get a level 50 Tyranitar that I'm using on my current battle tower attempt (Ttar, Skarm, and Swamp). I finally have a Kyogre for my living dex, since I couldn't restart Sapphire in order to catch another one.

Currently I'm focusing on a few things: solving my box storage problem (I only have two boxes in Sapphire to store my non-dex pokemon, and it's a tight squeeze to include everything I'm using for Btower, 6 blisseys, breeding pokemon, my team, contest pokemon, plus a few duplicates of legendaries, plus trade fodder). I'm also feeling like getting 100+ wins in battle tower on Sapphire is possible, and I'm going to try several different approaches. After that, I'd like to aim for gold symbols on Emerald, which should hopefully net me enough BP to finish up my decoration collection. Those large dolls are pretty expensive, so I think it'll take a while; I think it's something like 1500 BP total for all the dolls.

I think I need a new link cable, since mine only works when I hold it at a particular angle. Luckily they look pretty affordable on amazon.

Vroomer

About to embark on a Living Gen 3 Dex quest.

GameStop has vintage games now. So I have a copy of LeafGreen & FireRed on the way. Should be here on Friday. Woo hoo!!

I reset my trashed copy of Ruby. Will use that to generate the other 2 Hoenn starters. Not sure what cart will be the home for my Living Dex, yet. All my RS carts have "dry" batteries. Leaning toward FRLG being the bank holder. Need a copy of Emerald, too... ;)

Have to see where I am in Sapphire these days. And only one GBA SP and a regular non back lit GBA. A DS Lite purchase is in my future. Ha!

Update:
At the Nugget Bridge. I keep losing because I want enough money to buy Porygon at the Rocket Game Corner. Have Ivysaur, Pikachu, Butterfree, Charmander, and Squirtle in my party when I'm not purposely losing to get more nuggets. :)

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Spent some time on Emerald yesterday since I hadn't played any of my Gen 3 games in a while. I found myself at the Battle Frontier, so I decided to go to the Battle Factory. I entered the level 50 challenge, since I had an active streak of 14 wins that I'd forgotten about. Anyway, the Pokemon selection I was given was pretty bad (too many Fighting types & not fully evolved Pokemon) and the best team I could come up with was Hitmonlee, Haunter, and Hitmontop. The first three battles were actually not too bad (Haunter's Hypnosis + Nightmare was surprisingly useful) and I was able to swap Hitmontop for a Kadabra after the first or second fight. The fourth battle was where I lost, though, because it came down to my Kadabra vs their Sharpedo...and Kadabra's only attacking move was Psychic. >_>

After that, I began a new streak. I ended up with a team of Pidgeotto, Marshtomp, and Sealeo. The Pidgeotto and Marshtomp served me very well during the seven battles. Sealeo was pretty much just there to fill the third slot, didn't really need it much. I don't remember specific things from the battles, but I was able to get through seven trainers without too much of a hassle.

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
So I recently went to New York on a college trip and since the flight was 7hrs from the UK I thought I would start up a new Ruby file and play through that to get me through the boredom. 4 hours later and I had just beaten Wattson, rather easily to be honest.

Started the file using my actual name, and did all the opening bits including meeting the neighbours and talking to May. I headed off Route 101 and chose Mudkip as my starter to beat back the Poochyena. For saving him, Prof. Birch gave me the Mudkip to use, and I was able to nickname him KIPPERS. I trained KIPPERS up to Level 7 before battling May on Route 103. Her Treecko was no match for the mighty Tackle attacks of KIPPERS, and I returned back to the lab where I collected a Pokedex, Poke Balls and headed off to Petalburg City. On the way there I caught my 2 main HM users - ZIGGERS the Zigzagoon and a Ralts whose name I don't remember. I would've used the Ralts but I didn't really want to use Gardevoir so I gave up (plus it was Adamant).

Nothing took my fancy and so I continued on, beat the trainers, did the stuff with Wally and Norman (bet his Ralts wasn't Adamant :/) and continued onwards to Route 104 where I caught my second team member, a Tailow named BIRDO! I trained BIRDO up a bit in Petalburg Woods, also catching my third team member along the way - a Shroomish named SHROOMZ! These I trained more through the woods and the other half of Route 104, beating Team Magma Grunt #001 on the way. Rustboro City was an easy gym win after some training on Route 116 since KIPPERS and SHROOMZ were super-effective against Roxanne, I went on to save Peeko for Mr. Briney, got the Devon Goods and sailed off to Dewford Town.

Dewford Town was largely underwhelming, but along the way KIPPERS evolved into Marshtomp! I took on Brawley and destroyed him with BIRDO. Machop and Makuhuita both fell to Wing Attack. I went through the cave and gave Steven his letter, got the TM for Steel Wing which got taught to BIRDO. More training as I headed towards Slateport City occurred, did the Team Magma stuff that happened and caught my 4th team member, an Electrike I believe I named THUNDERDOG. Regardless it soon proved to be a bad idea to use one since it was so painfully weak until Level 20, where it got Spark. Training ensued, I beat May and got to Mauville City.

I trained some more, BIRDO and SHROOMZ evolved either on the Cycling Path or battling the gym trainers and Marshtomp swept Wattson with Mud Shot. I then saved the game.

Team:
259.png
KIPPERS (Marshtomp), Level 23
277.png
BIRDO (Swellow), Level 23
286.png
SHROOMZ (Breloom), Level 23
309.png
THUNDERSOG (Electrike), Level 23

Last edited:

arceus03

I restarted Ruby just because I felt like raising a Wailord. o.o

So I chose Torchic for my starter this time. Wandered a bit and decided I was going to need a Grass Pokemon, so I settled on Seedot. Later on, I would add Wailmer to the team but for the first half of the game, my team consisted of Torchic and Seedot only (and later Blaziken and Nuzleaf), plus Zigzagoon as the Pickup guy. I was undecided on other team members so I left it at that, before deciding on a Dusclops later on.

Currently at Lilycove City, about to clear the Mt. Pyre from Team Magma. My team now consists of Blaziken, Nuzleaf, Wailord and Dusclops, who are all at L43/44 except Dusclops.

... Which reminds me, I still need to rename Wailord to Moby and choose a nickname for Dusclops.

Crobat_Curse

I resumed playing Leaf Green about a week ago or so after years of neglecting the file. I had 3 badges and a team consisting of Charmeleon, Golbat and Vaporeon, so I've spent most the time completing my roster. I've had a fully EV'd Tropius with a decent nature and HP Fire collecting dust in Fire Red for years, so I figured I'd trade it over and finally give it its moment of glory. I rounded out the team with Lickitung and Kabutops, since they're among the very few Kanto Pokemon I've never used in a playthrough. So far, I've managed to defeat the remaining gym leaders and Elite 4 with ease, and am now currently on Four Island about to tackle the Icefall Cave quest. I also spent a bit of time sprucing up the team's movesets a little, and finally managed to evolve Golbat into Crobat.

Team:
006MS.png
Ty [58] - Belly Drum, Aerial Ace, Earthquake, Flamethrower
134MS.png
Lane [57] - Surf, Ice Beam, Toxic, Acid Armor
357MS.png
Allegra[58] - Sunny Day, Solar Beam, HP Fire, Earthquake
108MS.png
Patty[58] - Curse, Return, Earthquake, Ice Beam
141MS.png
Lark[56] - Swords Dance, Rock Slide, Return, Surf
169MS.png
Dewain [56] - Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Fly, Steel Wing

Aquarelle

Staff member
Today, I did a few small things on my FireRed. I hadn't checked out my current save file on that game in a while, so I just wanted to see how much I'd done on it. Turns out, I'd done more than I thought...I knew I completed all the story stuff a while ago, but I didn't remember that I'd finished getting all the Fame Checker entries, for example.

Still, I decided to do a few things on my game. First, I did some re-exploring of Gen III Kanto. I had saved in Cerulean, so I rode my bike around to Saffron, Celadon, and Vermilion. Then, since I hadn't seen the Sevii Islands in a while, I sailed to Six & Seven Islands to look around. While doing that, I rematched a few trainers. I honestly couldn't remember my team on this file that well, but I found that the Hitmonlee/Venusaur/Raichu I had worked really well against the trainers I fought.

Finally, I checked which TMs I still had and then gave some of them to Pokemon in my PC so that I can Pal Park them to one of my Gen IV games in the future. I would like to restart my FireRed (or maybe my spare Emerald) some day...but I don't know when I'll get around to that.

JohnLynch

I have officially "finished" my FireRed run. I'm at 133 pokemon out of 170 possible (without trading), but I've had enough. I will eventually be porting all of these Pokemon to Pokemon Black before moving them onto their final home in the most current gen (once I get my Pokemon Platinum at the appropriate spot). The fact I could never have gotten my Pokemon Red pokemon into the third generation helps ease the sting of having caught them all (including mew) only to have someone wipe the save file on me.

I recently discovered that I have Pokemon Sapphire. I can't remember the last time I played this (and I only had 4 badges), so I started from the start. I started with a Torchic as my starter (I had a squirtle as my starter for FireRed). My signature needs updating on the last couple of pokemon I've caught, but I've got all 6 slots occupied right now and am hunting down a Ralts. Alas my battery has run out, but I can still play the rest of the game.

[EDIT]: Just realised that saying "my signature has my lineup" isn't really that good because it will change. My current lineup is Torchic, Poochenya, Zigzagoon, Wyrmple.

Last edited:

gamer_legend

Today... okay fine yesterday I started a new play through of LeafGreen. I've got a few aims planned for this one mainly the following...

I intend on catching every available Pokemon in an area before moving onto the next as well as beating every trainer in an area before doing so as well.
My primary aim upon completion of the game is to see how many Pokemon you can obtain within one playthrough without any external contact or resetting for different Pokemon.
I chose Bulbasaur as my starter and named him Salad because god I'm hungry.
Almost 2 hours in and I've already broken my rule about catching every Pokemon in a single area because Nidoran males have a 1% encounter rate on route 4 so I guess there'll be more back and forth.
I'm trying to tie together a definitive team to build around Venusaur to allow for great type coverage that might help players later.
For a while I tested out Pikachu with a bashful mixed set and so far he's been rather "meh" I feel running him mixed is stretching him so I've boxed him.
I've cleared the area surrounding Vermillion City and the SS Anne and am about ready to take on Lt. Surge.

Team Currently consists of
Salad the Ivysaur.
Twinkle the Clefairy (currently unevolved as I'm hoping to teach it a few decent level up moves)
Mimien the Mr Mime.
Doug the Diglett.

Current PokeDex
Seen 62 Caught 30

Aquarelle

Staff member
Went back to my LeafGreen for a little while today. I started in Vermilion City and ended up riding my bike over to Celadon. There, I went to the Game Corner, where I decided to play the slot machines until I lined up 3 sevens. Well, I wasn't in there that long, since I got the 777 on my third try lol.

After that, I returned to Vermilion and sailed to Three Island. Once I toured the town for a bit, I headed out to the Bond Bridge and Berry Forest. While in the forest, I looked around for berries. I managed to find quite a few of them, then left and returned to the ferry.

Next, I briefly stopped by Two Island to stock up on Moomoo Milk. After that, I sailed to One Island and Surfed down to Treasure Beach. I searched around for hidden items using my Itemfinder, eventually unearthing two Ultra Balls.

gamer_legend

Went back to my LeafGreen for a little while today. I started in Vermilion City and ended up riding my bike over to Celadon. There, I went to the Game Corner, where I decided to play the slot machines until I lined up 3 sevens. Well, I wasn't in there that long, since I got the 777 on my third try lol.

After that, I returned to Vermilion and sailed to Three Island. Once I toured the town for a bit, I headed out to the Bond Bridge and Berry Forest. While in the forest, I looked around for berries. I managed to find quite a few of them, then left and returned to the ferry.

Next, I briefly stopped by Two Island to stock up on Moomoo Milk. After that, I sailed to One Island and Surfed down to Treasure Beach. I searched around for hidden items using my Itemfinder, eventually unearthing two Ultra Balls.

Hahaha! :) That's actually really sweet. I keep forgetting about the slot machine mostly thanks to the fact coins in this game are so easy to obtain but then I'm in Europe and gaining coins in HG/SS is... infuriating... only one Voltorb mini-game.

That said I dove back into the game myself and started experimenting a little bit. Essentially I tried to see just how much you can sequence break in this game and as it turns out it's actually really easy to.

The first three gym leaders allow you to access Cut, Flash and Fly but beyond that point you can take on the 4th - 7th Gym in almost any order you desire while exploring most of Kanto because you only need to clear the lavander tower or pick up tea to open up Saffron City. So far I've not faced Erika at all and explored the Safari Zone to help fill the Pokedex and hopefully reach and fight Blaine before anywhere else though I'm not sure if HM strength is required to fully explore the Pokemon Mansion. You do have to defeat Koga to enable Surf but you can still skip Erika and Sabrina, the only real exception is Articuno which requires HM strength to reach it in Seafoam but even then you can still explore almost all of the Island.

Of course I can't play this game without trying to catch my favourite little partner so I did spend about an hour hunting for a Cubone, ended up catching 8 and between them got the Adamant Nature, Thick Club and Rock Head ability I was hoping for. Catching Poliwhirl with an Adamant Nature quite honestly was just needlessly annoying however I do have 4 of my 6 Pokemon assigned to my party.

Venasaur
Cubone
Ninetales
Poliwrath

with only 2 left to catch.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I had fun looking for berries yesterday, so I decided to return to the Berry Forest today to see if I could find some more. To my surprise, I discovered that a berry had regenerated in nearly every spot, so I was able to get quite a few. Definitely got more than last time.

After that, I sailed to Five Island. I noticed that my money was pretty close to the maximum amount, so I decided to Surf up to Resort Gorgeous to re-match the two rich Ladies. I defeated them a couple of times each using my Gengar, which allowed me to max out my money again. Surfed back to the Five Island town afterwards.