• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Greekboy

i'm playing my ruby version for the first time in 6 years, since my sister started playing sapphire and it inspired me to pick up my first pokemon game. i'm gonna try to get the gold star trainer card. i'm a little disappointed because my past self made some stupid decisions... like for instance i fainted the one and only rayquaza encounter. fortunately my sister is almost done with the pokemon league on sapphire so when she catches rayquaza she can just trade it over and trade back for the pokedex. all I need left for the hoenn dex is grimer/muk and rayquaza, so my second star should be coming in soon.

another disappointment is how i sold a lot of one-time items that would really be useful for me now. i want to EV train a team for the battle tower (you need 50 wins for the trainer card, but i want to get 100 for the gold shield) but i sold my macho brace. also sold my focus punch, which i was planning on teaching to a breloom so i could spore -> focus punch. my sister said she'll trade me those items over though, really appreciate that :)

i beat the contests! for the first time in 13 years, my trainer card has more than one star on it. on to the next.

have to wait for my sister to get rayquaza/gorebyss, and the macho brace though... unless i lose patience and start EV training without it, but let's not get ahead of ourselves

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Went back to Emerald today. I decided to start breeding for a team of Pokemon, since I'm thinking of restarting my spare Emerald in the future. I'd like to try out a Whiscash, so I put mine in the Day Care and obtained a couple of Barboach eggs. After hatching both of them, I saw that only one of them had inherited the right Nature, so I decided to just go with that one. Don't really feel like breeding for IVs on this game right now.

Next time, I'm thinking of breeding for a Zubat. I've wanted to use Crobat on a Gen 3 game for a while.

JohnLynch

I will eventually be porting all of [my FireRed] Pokemon to Pokemon Black
Well looks like that isn't happening. I've gone looking for Pokemon Black and all I have is an empty game case for my trouble. I can't find it anywhere. I'm hopeful it'll turn up at some point, but I'm expecting it won't. I wanted to check in on my Black save file, see what I'd captured and traded (I believe I had roughly 300 pokemon, which included legendaries and event pokemon). So I'm now starting again. I want to evolve the remaining Kanto pokemon that I can (without trading) and while I'm at it I'll level up my IG team in order to defeat the Elite Four a second time. My primary goal is to get as much of the Kanto portion of my living pokedex recreated as possible.

Fortunately the FireRed game I've been playing since 2013 (although lest you be impressed with that, I only have 75 hours sunk into it, 23 hours of that is post game).

So today I have evolved Squirtle into Wartortle (thus completing that evolution chain of my living dex). In addition I also evolved Doduo into Dodrio and then hatched a new dodrio. I'm now battling in Cerulean Cave to get my grimer to evolve into a muk.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Tonight on Emerald, I bred for two more Pokemon. First, I obtained a couple of Zubat eggs and hatched them. One had the right Nature, while the other didn't, so it was obvious which one I was going to keep.

After that, I swapped out my Day Care Pokemon and collected a pair of Girafarig eggs. Girafarig's a Pokemon I haven't used that much, so I want to try it out. Once the eggs hatched, I saw that both Girafarig had inherited my Ditto's Nature. One of them had noticeably higher stats, though, so I decided to go with that one.

So, that's three Pokemon down. I'm thinking of having a Blaziken, but haven't decided on the final two Pokemon yet.

JohnLynch

I got my grimer to evolve into muk and then bred myself another grimer (I couldn't find where they hide in the wild) along with an abra (cause screw trying to capture another abra). I bred a new nidoran(F) for my living pokedex so I could evolve one into a nidorina. While waiting for the egg to hatch I went into the Safari Zone looking for a Chansey and Tauros. However I then went and captured a dang Nidorina in the Safari Zone instead.

I bred the chansey hoping to get a pre-evolution form of, but all I got was another chansey.

I evolved one of my two rhyhorns into a rhydon and in Safari Zone managed to capture a chansey. I went looking for a tauros but couldn't find the dang thing (I hate safari zone). Finally I evolved one of my two gastly's into a haunter.

I evolved my poliwag into a poliwhirl and then exposed it to a water stone to get me a poliwrath and also exposed my gloom to a sun stone in order to get myself a bellossom. Now I need another oddish and a couple of poliwags to get the whole line for these two families.

Today was a good productive day in getting my kantos Pokemon captured and evolved. I updated my tracking spreadsheet to include a list of missing pokemon from my living pokedex. It has helped a LOT in getting me focused on getting my Living Pokedex filled. I only have 12 pokemon left before I fully complete all possible Kantos Pokemon I can get without trading.

Well I caught myself 2 Krabby (had to switch from a super rod to a good rod. Found them quite quickly after that switch), 2 poliwags and bred and hatched 3 tyrogues. I thought I would be stuck with only Hitmonlee when I suddenly remembered there was a pre-evolved version of Hitmonlee. Sure enough, tyrogue is it. So I now have three of those (dunno how to stop it from turning into a hitmonlee though so I may need more tyrogues).

With krabby caught, the only other pokemon I have left to catch is Tauros. I can breed my current ones and evolve them. As such the number of pokemon I have left until my trade free living kantos pokedex is complete are:
* 1 catch (tauros)
* 10 evolutions
* 6 more breedings or catches (my choice)

Only 17 pokemon to go. Wooo! I haven't been this close to a "complete" dex since the original Red game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Decided on two more Pokemon to use. First is Cacturne, which I haven't used much since Ruby a long time ago. Anyway, I hatched two Cacnea with the Nature I wanted and picked the one with higher stats.

After that, I bred for an Electrike. This one took a little longer to breed for, though, since I wanted to breed Crunch onto it. Fortunately, I already had a male Houndoom in my PC with Crunch, so I just had to breed it with my Manectric. Once I had a male Electrike with Crunch, I bred it with a Ditto with the right Nature. I hatched a couple more of the resulting Electrike eggs, and found a decent one to keep.

I just need a Torchic to complete the team, but I'm thinking of not breeding for one. Instead, I might just soft reset for one after I restart my other game so that I'll have one Pokemon on the new game with my OT.

Last edited:

JohnLynch

I bred myself a new onamyte along with a couple of oddishes.

After grinding Shelldor up for 14 levels I decided to double check how it evolved and saw it requires a stone. Same story with my growlithe. So I've evovled both of those. Arcanine I need to now breed and I'm planning on catching another shelldor. I also bought one of each stone and double checked the rest (none of them use stones that I can purchase).

I went and bred 2 extra dratini before heading to the Safari Zone with them in my party to hatch them and catch a tauros. Five rounds in the safari zone it took me, with 5 pop ups of the darn Tauros before I finally got it. I spent the coin because I was hatching my dratini at the same time and coin is a bit pointless at this stage in the game. I also got another Chansey (due to experimenting with the rock vs bait tactics). I stuck around on my last go to try to catch another tauros (I didn't). I then saved the game several times.

So the ones I have left are:
* 1 for breeding (growlithe) + 2 eggs for hatching (dratini)
* 1 for catching (shelldor)
* 8 for evolving (2 dratini (one of them twice to get a dragonite), 1 omastar, 1 oddish, 1 poliwag, 1 krabby, 1 hitmonlee)

Only 10 Pokemon to go until my "living kantos dex" is as complete as I can get it!

It's going to be good to be able to move onto the next Pokemon game. Although I was originally considering going to Pokemon Sapphire, I've now considering moving to Pokemon Platinum. I haven't been able to find a legitimate, affordable copy of Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver (the only legal one I could afford I hesitated too long on buying) so it looks like I'll need to wait until I get a 3DS before journeying to Johto for the first time. As such, I'm inclined to just get the remake of Pokemon Sapphire rather than play the original, given I won't be able to make it in sequential order anyway. Nothing has been removed from Sapphire for the remake and a whole heap has been added. Still not sure though. I've got 10 pokemon to get before deciding!

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Today, I began EV training the Pokemon I bred. I started by passing the Pokerus onto all of them, which fortunately didn't take that long. I just had to get into several battles against wild Pokemon on Route 110.

Once they all had the Pokerus, I gave each of them some vitamins until they had 100 EVs in the stats I plan to train them in. I'll work on filling the rest of their EVs next time, since I don't feel like fighting a bunch of Pokémon right now.

Also, I taught them some moves via TM.

Last edited:

JohnLynch

My two dratini hatched.

My onamyte evolved into omastar, krabby has evolved into a kingler while my oddish evolved into a gloom. I also had one of my tyrogues evolve into a hitmonchan, but I needed a hitmonlee. So I evolved the other one and got hitmontop, my third one became a hitmonlee. I also evolved my dratini into a dragonair.

I now have 1 more dratini to evolve along with a dragonair and poliwag. I also have to catch a shelldor and breed a growlithe. I am not looking forward to the grind to get the dragonite. As such I'm avoiding it by grinding my poliwag instead!

Aquarelle

Staff member
Tonight, I continued EV training. I decided to finish getting Barboach its remaining EVs since it had the easiest spread to complete (i.e. required the fewest wild Pokemon to fight). So, I gave my Barboach a Macho Brace and went to fight Pokemon in several locations. Didn't take long at all to earn the EVs I needed - the Pokerus + Macho Brace combo really helped.

Once I was done, I went to Slateport and got an Effort Ribbon for Barboach. Next time, I'll continue EVing my other Pokemon...or maybe I'll get around to restarting my spare Emerald and soft resetting for a Torchic.

ArcanineShrine014029

I've restarted my Emerald since my previous file was filled with hatched eggs and the play time was getting ridiculous. In this file though I've had some ridiculous happenings:

-Found Shiny Groudon at the Terra Cave. I reset after Blaziken accidentally knocked it out with Blaze Kick, and on my very next attempt to catch it, it was Shiny. It came with a Mild nature.
-I've currently been struggling to get the Gold Ability Symbol at the Battle Tower for the past week. However last night, I got the Gold Guts Symbol at the Frontier on only one run-through. I also got the Gold Tactics Symbol after only a few tries.

I haven't been on Serebii Forums in the longest time - can someone direct me to the in-game RMT thread? Is there an RMT thread just for 3rd gen Battle Frontier teams? Thanks!

Aquarelle

Staff member
I played my spare Emerald tonight to see what Pokemon & items I wanted to transfer before restarting. Turns out, I had more Pokemon on that cartridge than I thought. I knew I still had the three main Pokemon I used during my last playthrough (Sharpedo, Xatu, Machamp), but I was surprised that I still had my Regis and Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza (thought I would've transferred them by now).

Anyway, I picked out 12 Pokemon I wanted to keep (the 9 mentioned above + Lileep, Anorith, and a lv. 100 Linoone), gave them some items (mostly TMs), and Pal Parked them to my HeartGold.

Didn't restart the game yet, though. I also discovered I still had a Latias on this game, which I'd been meaning to trade to my main Emerald to use in the Battle Frontier. So, I'll have to get around to trading it first.

ArcanineShrine014029

Finally got the Gold Ability Symbol. Is it the Talent symbol? I can't remember. But I did 70 wins at the Emerald Battle Tower. Also in Emerald I picked up Cyndaquil, as I have the Hoenn dex completed and its nature is modest with a grass-type hidden power. Next I'm gonna take on the Battle Pyramid!

JohnLynch

4 days later I am finally done with Pokemon FireRed. Of the 151 Pokemon in the Kanto Pokedex I have caught/bred/evolved 125 (all of the ones that can be obtained in the Kanto Pokedex). You can see all of my kanto pokmeon here (a handful are actually from Pokemon Sapphire) and it only took me 111 hours. Otherwise you can see all my pokemon here.

I switched to fighting the Elite Four to get dragonair evolved into dragonite. It still took 4 days to get there though. The others were easily hatched and evolved with little effort in comparison.

Finally done with Generation 3. Now moving on to Generation 4 and Pokemon Platinum. Once I port my FireRed pokemon over, I'm tempted to restart to get bulbasaur and charmander.

Last edited:

Greekboy

completed the hoenn dex, for my 3rd trainer card star. i also EV trained 3 pokemon for the battle tower; i trained a breloom, skarmory and starmie. still have to train them to level 50 though, but once i do i'll try to get that done!

i think i'll trade those guys over to emerald as well, for the battle frontier once i go ahead and start playing that game.

JohnLynch

4 days later I am finally done with Pokemon FireRed.
Wrong! While I was setting up my tracker for Sinnoh I saw that Raikou was available to catch in FireRed. So I spent five and a half hours (across three days) trying to catch the damn thing. I had to level up a Jynx from level 20 to level 48. The reason I was doing that was because Jynx had a sleeping ability and had a really high speed score (but unfortunately not high enough without a crap load of leveling).

I finally caught the damn thing, using Mean Look first to stop it from running. I'd already successfully used a Wobbuffet to knock down it's hit points, but I needed to put it to sleep and my Zapdos paralyzing it couldn't stop it from running away.

I now have five legendaries :D Not bad after finishing only FireRed! My legendaries collection is available here on the second tab.

Now I can go on to Pokemon Platinum and Generation 4.

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Got around to doing some more EV training tonight (been putting it off because EV training in Gen 3 is just so tedious). I decided to fill the Speed EVs for my Zubat, Girafarig, and Electrike, so I gave each of them an Exp. Share and then headed to Altering Cave to beat up some wild Zubat.

I made it partway through my Speed training, but then my SP's battery light turned red. I was not/am not near the charger right now, so I had to stop for the moment. Guess I'll have to finish next time.
I did have time to give nicknames to Zubat/Girafarig/Electrike, though, so at least that's something.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Finished my Speed EV training tonight. Fortunately, it didn't take too long.

Once that was done, I decided to get my Cacnea, Girafarig, and Electrike's Sp. Attack training done. So, I went to Route 113 and started fighting wild Spinda and Slugma. I thought it would take a while, but it actually went by pretty quickly. Yeah, having the Pokerus makes things sooo much easier compared to the days when I didn't have it.

In the end, I only spent around an hour training today, which was great. My Girafarig and Electrike finished their spreads, so I was able to get Effort Ribbons for them in Slateport.

Greekboy

finally! after 13 years of owning this game, I got the gold star trainer card. that 50th match was tough, i got matched up against a metagross and I don't really have anything to hit it, but it kept using dummy moves against my starmie and i managed to surf it away. now i guess i just have the national pokedex and probably the 100th trainer at the tower for full completion, but i'm not gonna do that anytime soon haha