1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

3rd Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation III Discussion' started by bobandbill, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Aquarelle

Aquarelle Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Did a little bit of training with my team. I fought several wild Pokemon with my Manectric until it reached level 30 like my other Pokemon.

After that, I remembered about the Trick House (and how it has trainers to fight), so I decided to go there. I cleared the first two puzzles, which involved using Cut and closing doors on the floor. I mainly relied on my Golbat and Cacnea in the trainer battles.

Next time, I will likely go to the Petalburg Gym.

2. AuroraBeam

AuroraBeam Well-Known Member

Just made it through the Victory Road. My team is all lower 50's so I might train a bit. Right now I'm training my meowth that knows Thief so I can snatch a sharp beak & magnet off a fearow & magneton. I'll likely put these on my dodrio & raichu.

Aquarelle likes this.
  3. Aquarelle

Yesterday, I finally returned to Petalburg City. At the Gym, I visited every room, defeating all of the Cool Trainers using my Girafarig and Combusken.

Then, I used only Combusken in the battle against Norman. The hardest part of the battle was Norman's lead, Spinda - I needed Combusken to set up several Bulk Ups on it so that I could then sweep through Norman's team with my Fighting STAB, but Spinda's Teeter Dance made this difficult.

After having to soft reset once, I was able to get a few Bulk Up boosts on my second try thanks to my Persim Berries and the good luck I had with not hurting myself in confusion. Combusken was then able to OHKO all of Norman's Pokemon, earning me the Balance Badge.

Team:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Lv. 30-32

4. Drummerdude

Drummerdude Well-Known Member

I thoroughly enjoyed my last time playing Emerald that I decided to do it once more! Apart from my starter the team will consist of all Pokemon I have never used when beating an Elite 4.

Since I used Treecko last time I decided to use Torchic this time. I didn't have any problems with the beginning of the game and because I was only using Torchic it became over leveled quickly. I helped Wally catch a Ralts, saved a guy in the Petalburg Woods, and soon arrived in Rustboro City. I had done my best to skip the trainers on Route 104 so that I could use them to help me train up my second team member which I caught on Route 116, a Whismur! Once I had trained up Whismur a bit I headed for the Rustboro Gym. Turns out Astonish is not great against Geodude so Torchic's Ember had to do most of the work until Torchic evolved into Combusken! Combusken proceeded to solo Roxanne with Double Kick.

After the battle the same Team Aqua grunt was up to no good so I had to rough him up once more. I got a PokeNav for my troubles as well as a few errands to run to keep the plot moving forward. I also beat May whose freaking Curse Torkoal was a pain in my rear. I took a break after catching a ride with Briney to Dewford Town.

Aquarelle and MockingJ like this.
  5. Aquarelle

I taught the Surf HM to my Whiscash. Then, I began exploring previous areas around Hoenn with my new HM. I started back on Route 103 and made my way back to places with water such as Petalburg City, Route 104, and Route 115. Using Surf, I was able to get some items and battle trainers I couldn’t get to before.

Once I got back to Mauville, I saw Wattson in the middle of the city, which reminded me that the New Mauville sidequest is a thing. I talked to him and then headed over to the New Mauville entrance. Next time, I’ll do the sidequest, then finish doing things with Surf (like exploring the ocean around Dewford).

Drummerdude likes this.
  6. Drummerdude

I headed into Granite Cave and gave Steven his letter and got a TM I will never use. I decided to try out the gym but realized I was struggling a bit with the trainers so I boarded Briney's boat once more to Slateport City and headed to Route 110 where I captured my third team member, a Gulpin! I returned to the Dewford Gym to challenge Brawly...and lost. I got too cute with Whismur and tried a second time with better results. Gulpin defeated Machop with Sludge, Whismur spammed Pound until Meditite went down and Combusken's Double Kick was too much for Makuhita.

I returned to Slateport City and helped save the museum before heading back to Route 110. So there are a lot of trainers before you challenge Wattson and of course I battled them all. This led to both Whismur and Gulpin evolving before the battle and also made for an easy battle. Once Wattson was beaten I took a break. It is gonna be some time before I catch a new team member.

Aquarelle likes this.
  7. Aquarelle

Earlier today, I went through New Mauville. It wasn't that difficult getting around, I just stepped on switches as needed until I'd explored all of the rooms. I used repels so that I wouldn't encounter wild Pokemon, but I did battle the several wild Voltorb that were disguised as items. My Cacnea defeated them all, and even evolved into Cacturne after beating the last one!

Eventually, I reached the generator and stepped on the switch to turn it off. Back in Mauville City, I talked to Wattson again and received the Thunderbolt TM from him as thanks.

8. Drummerdude

I headed north towards Fallarbor Town and then into Meteor Falls. I witnessed some Aqua/Magma action and then headed to Mt. Chimney where I defeated Maxie and some Magma Goons before heading down the mountain to Lavaridge Town. I always have trouble navigating this gym for some reason but I managed to get to Flannery eventually. Loudred took care of Slugma, Combusken kicked Numel and Camerupt while Swalot's Toxic proved vital against her Torkoal. After getting the badge I headed quickly to Petalburg City to challenge Dad.

The gym trainers weren't too difficult one at a time and even Norman was easy. I may or may not have copied Aquarelle's strategy of using Bulk Up Combusken to OHKO all four Pokemon. But I did finally get Surf which means new team members! I got the Good Rod and headed north of Mauville to catch a Barboach and then I headed into the tall grass of Route 119 and captured a Tropius! Time to train!!

9. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I spent a few hours messing around in Emerald's Battle Tower thinking I'd win a silver symbol, although I was dead wrong since I was defeated in the third challenge by someone who had attacks that took advantage of my whole team's weaknesses. I visited the Battle Factory after my loss and suffered a second loss in a row, although that was expected given how much hax there is there. I did much better at the Battle Pyramid however, and cleared two challenges using Starmie, Raikou, and Metagross.

10. Drummerdude

I made the usual post-fifth gym rounds through the Hoenn region, including surfing from Petalburg to Slateport, and continued on to Fortree City. My new Barboach evolved just before the Weather Institute. I cleared out Team Aqua as well as defeated May once again. I skipped everything in Fortree City to meet Steven so I could get the Devon Scope and quickly challenge Winona in an easy victory. With my 6th badge I headed south towards Mt Pyre and captured my final team member, a Shuppet! I slapped the Exp Share on her and headed into Mt Pyre, which I climbed twice to beat all the trainers. I used Loudred a lot here so it would evolve into Exploud. After an elderly woman gave me a Magma Emblem I returned to Lavaridge Town and headed up the Jagged Pass to explore the secret hideout.

11. JohnLynch

JohnLynch Well-Known Member

I've decided to restart my Pokemon Sapphire game rather than play Alpha Sapphire. I want to build up my living Dex with Pokemon caught in the oldest generation possible. Pokemon Bank doesn't technically distinguish between Gen 3-5 but the trainer I'd would identify them (it will also result in each game's poked ex being the most complete it can).

I decided against restarting so I already had 2 gym badges. I struggled to defeat May. Mudkrip is really difficult to defeat. She was also much higher level than me. So I grinded my Pokemon up in the grass just before her. After the cakewalk of Ultra Sun this was a refreshing change of pace.

I finally defeated May and evolved up Torchic to Combusken (whose yet another fire/fighting combo which was disappointing). I went and got my 3rd gym badge which was much easier. Very old school puzzle. I got a bike and cycled down the road, went to a cave to get to the end of it (I got the ride up sandy slopes bike) and then continued forward. I've given the rock smash hm to Aron to spread around the HMs. I saw it was a fighting hm but Combusken already has cut. Hopefully there is a mechanic to forget HMs so I can redistribute them.

Current Team: Combusken, Wingull, Nincada, Aron, Sableye, Roselia

12. Drummerdude

The Magma Hideout a.k.a. the best place to train Water types. Shuppet evolved into Banette early on which completes the team much earlier than the last time I played. Maxie unleashed Groudon accidentally so I had to beat up on him a good bit for that catastrophe. Then it was off to the Aqua Hideout after a pit stop in Slateport City where I was too late to stop Archie on his quest. But who cares about saving the world when I have the chance to challenge a gym! I surfed over to Mossdeep and swept the gym with Banette before challenging Tate and Liza. Basically Banette and Whiscash took care of everything. After the win I saved NASA from Team Magma and took a break.

13. snivy trainer

snivy trainer Driving myself batty

So I started playing through FireRed again after needing something to do in my uni breaks aside from reading, and decided that for a somewhat-inspiring theme I'd cover what potential canon teams each protagonist would have! It's been super fun planning it, and really the only one that's somewhat wrong is Kanto, since the Johto games kind of confirm Red's canon team. But hey ho, progression onwards!

Did all the fancy beginning tutorial stuff (as you do) and chose Charmander as my starter. Given that the little bits of info you get on each starter states that Charmander is one you need to raise patiently, it would make sense for the protagonist to use it. That and Blastoise suits Blue much better than Venusaur, and Blue wouldn't exactly be a patient trainer. So Charmander! Battled Blue's Squirtle with it, crushed it with a few Scratch attacks. Easy win. Did more (very slow) tutorial bits and finally got the Pokedex, some Poke Balls and a chance to catch some new Pokemon!

Said new Pokemon turned out to be pretty soon afterwards, like just outside of Viridian City soon. Your rival has his own early-game Pokemon in Pidgey, and I sought an alternative to it. That alternative is a Spearow! Which took forever to capture because Charmander burnt the first, crit the second and then crit the third one before catching one. I trained the Spearow in Viridian Forest until I realised I needed Charmander to know Metal Claw to beat Brock, so it was left at Level 10 temporarily. Cleared the forest, made it to Pewter City.

Brock is a nightmare to beat when you have an under-levelled Spearow and a Level 14 Charmander. Metal Claw made quick work of the Geodude, but Onix was terrifying. I got lucky and it missed Rock Tomb so Spearow could use Growl, then it proceeded to spam Bind for some odd reason until it was at -6 Attack. Spearow still fell, and Charmander tanked Rock Tombs and stuck with Metal Claw until victory!

I trained my team on Route 3 towards Rock Tunnel, but didn't go in. Charmander evolved into Charmeleon, I saved and that's been it so far. Huzzah!

FireRed team:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Drummerdude

I returned to the Trick House and completed another round before exploring the vast sea of Hoenn. I taught Whiscash Dive and explored below the depths searching for items and such. I chose to skip the plot and continue along to Pacifidlog Town so I can Fly there quickly in the future. The weak trainers in this area are disappointing so late in the game. Once I made it to Pacifidlog Town I took a break. My entire team is currently Lv44.

15. Ariki

Ariki Well-Known Member

Caught the following Pokemon in FireRed;

Clefairy, two Shelder, a Magnemite, an Electabuzz, and a Horsea.

Also hatched an Eevee which I evolved into Vaporeon.

I evolved one of my Shelder into a Cloyster.

My plan is to Pal Park all these Pokemon and send them to Pokebank to add to my living Pokedex. I’ll evolve Horsea into Seadra, Magnemite into Magnezone and breed Electabuzz so I can get Elekid and Electivire

16. Drummerdude

I headed down after Team Aqua and spent some time battling grunts until I made quick work of Archie and watched Kyogre unleash torrential downpours upon the world. Steven asked that I speak with Wallace to come up with a plan to end the sunshine and rain. We agreed that I would do all the work and go unleash the Green Dragon from atop the Sky Pillar to calm the Legends....so I did. Yay. I got Wallace's permission to challenge the Sootopolis Gym after the cut scene and I used Tropius and Swalot to defeat the trainers underneath the ice. Juan's team wasn't any real challenge for mine apart from that stupid Kingdra. I ended up having Banette Curse it and for some reason it never used Rest after the Curse. I got the Rain Badge and took a break.

17. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria The best Mega Evolution

Started a new save in Sapphire. I picked the girl and named my character MAY as usual. I chose Torchic as my starter like her starter in the anime even though it'll have a disadvantage later on against Kyogre. I have gotten the two Potions, one from the PC and the other from the Poké Mart employee in Oldale Town who acts as a guide to the Poké Marts. I have defeated Brendan on the first go, got a Pokédex and got the Running Shoes from the player's mother. Haven't caught any new Pokémon so far and Torchic is currently at Lv 7.

18. Drummerdude

I went around Hoenn and picked up some Rare Candies and defeated the few leftover trainers before heading to Victory Road. I always forget that Wally is at the start for some reason in Emerald but it was still an easy fight. About halfway through I decided to use an Escape Rope to heal up at the Pokemon Center and then I restarted my trek through the surprisingly short dungeon. It wasn't too much longer that I officially arrived at the Pokemon League. Now to just use my Rare Candies and finalize some movesets before challenging the Elite 4.