• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Aquarelle

Staff member
Yesterday, I flew over to Lilycove on Emerald because some of my Pokemon hadn't won a Contest yet. I made several Pokeblocks and gave a few to my Absol before deciding to enter it into a Beauty Contest. On my first try, I didn't fare too well as I made some stupid move choices during the appeal round, plus my Absol's moveset wasn't good for Contests to begin with, so I ended up soft resetting and trying again. On my second try, nothing really exciting happened and the appeal round was pretty low-scoring for everyone, but I did enough to win and get Absol a ribbon.

I saved after that because I didn't have much time to play more. Next time, I'll have to check which of my other Pokemon don't have any Contest ribbons and then enter them into Contests.

Bananarama

The light is coming
So I sailed to Six Island, where I bumped into my rival. He told me about catching more Pokémon, and I went north. I found a very passionate Heracross stan in a building up north, and I battled several trainers. I then went south, where I battled even more trainers. I found a building with braille on it, and I was able to enter it using Cut. I saved afterwards.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Today, after checking out which ribbons my Pokemon had, I decided to enter my Blaziken in a Contest as it had no Contest ribbons. I made several more Pokeblocks and gave them to Blaziken to raise some of its Contest stats (though I used one on Absol by mistake -_-). After that, I entered Blaziken in the Normal Rank Tough Contest. It got off to a slow start in the appeal round, since none of its moves gave more than two hearts, but in the end it did pretty well as it eventually got the crowd going and took away a lot of the other Pokemon's hearts using startling moves. Blaziken won easily and received a ribbon.

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
I restarted my Ruby.

I started the game and chose my gender and name! After that. I left the moving truck ( .. ) and was shown to my new house. After changing the clock time and saying goodbye to mom. I headed out and met May. After that I heard shouting outside of the town. Went to investigate and ended up being asked to chose a Pokemon.
After 11 SR's I chose Mudkip and was rewarded with a Brave Nature. Cos physical/special split.
After a battle I was invited to the Professors lab. There I nicknamed Mudkip "Torrent" and received a Pokedex. Then I saved.

Bananarama

The light is coming
I entered the building, and I clumsily attempted falling through the holes for a while before finally making it to a Sapphire. A scientist snatched the treasure away from me, and I left the building. I then sailed to Seven Island, and I did some single battles at the Trainer Tower. I then went south, and I found the Tanoby Key. I used Strength to solve the puzzle, and I went further south, battling more trainers and catching an Unown. I then saved.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I went back to the Battle Frontier today and headed over to the Battle Factory. After checking my records there, I started a new open level challenge. I selected a team of Nidoqueen, Ursaring, and Crobat, which was the best I could do with the selection of Pokemon I was given. The first battle was tough and I barely won, but I was able to swap out Crobat for a useful Dodrio. I won the next several battles, some of which were easy and some of which were tough. On the sixth battle, I came very close to winning, but my last Pokemon fainted with the opponent's Glalie hanging on with a sliver of red HP. During that battle, Ursaring was frozen for a million turns while Glalie spammed Hail and Protect before finally attacking again, and Dodrio just wasn't strong enough to finish it off. After losing, I just saved back in the lobby as I didn't feel like trying again right then.

Bananarama

The light is coming
So I sailed back to Five Island, and I was able to enter the TR building with two passwords. I made my way through the hideout, battling grunts until I finally found a TR admin. I defeated his team, and he proclaimed that Team Rocket was disbanded forever. I found a scientist in the back, whom I defeated easily. He gave me back the Sapphire, and I sailed to Four Island to pick up an egg. I sailed to One Island and gave the blue jewel to Celio. I then saved.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Tonight, I left the Battle Factory on Emerald in order to get together some Pokemon to Pal Park to my HeartGold. I didn't really need any specific Pokemon as I mainly wanted to transfer items, but I went through my PC anyway to see if there was anything useful I could transfer. I found a couple Pokemon that may be useful for breeding on HG along with a few Pokemon that were just taking up PC space.

After that, I still needed some more Pokemon to transfer, so I headed over to Route 101 to catch some stuff. I encountered some low level Pokemon in the grass and caught 7 of them. Then, I went to the Oldale Pokemon Center, gave items to the 12 Pokemon I wanted to transfer, then Pal Parked them to HG.

Vroomer

Never played these games in their prime. Had a GBA and a GBA SP. Now, I need to find my SP because I picked up a dead battery copy of Ruby. My screwdriver should be delivered today so I can remove that and replace with new. Shame they use it for the time only. Oh well. It appears to have some acid spill on the inside. Will have to clean that up, too. No worries, I've fixed worse.

:)

Blazing Charmander

Playing Pokemon Colosseum recently has got me in the mood for picking up my Gen III games again; Ruby, FireRed and Emerald. On my existing files, particularly FireRed and Emerald, I am breeding and trading the starter Pokemon I have for the purposes of having each starter available for use in the Battle Frontier on Emerald, migrating one of each to Gen IV, and perhaps for working towards completing the Pokedex if I can find the motivation to do so.

Another motive I have for doing this is to group the Gen I and Gen III starters that i've accumulated from separate play throughs down the years onto one file. For instance, the Charizard from my first FireRed file in 2004 and a more recent Venusaur are currently on Emerald, but I hope to move them back to FireRed to join my newest partner, Blastoise. Same applies for my Blaziken and Swampert, also currently on Emerald but soon to be acquainted with my Sceptile on Ruby.

I have been lucky in that breeding four or five offspring each from my Charizard, Venusaur and Blastoise has netted me at least one female offspring, which will be useful if I decide to chain-breed Egg and TM moves onto other offspring in the future. Not so much luck with the Torchic offspring i've bred, though.

As much as I love the breeding aspect of the Pokemon games, i've never delved any further into it (i.e. specific natures, IVs) than what I am doing now, and likely never will.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Today, I played my LeafGreen for a little while simply because I haven't played it in a long time. I started on Seven Island, where I saved last time, and looked around the town for a while before taking the ferry back to Kanto. Once in Vermilion, I rode my bike over to Celadon City and went to the Game Corner. I played the slots for a while, but didn't win many coins. After that, I went down Cycling Road, where I rematched a few trainers. In Fuchsia, I looked through my Pokedex and then went through my PC to see my Pokemon before deciding to save.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
i'm starting a 420 blaze it run with pokemon that have 420 total BST. If the pokemon can evolve but the bst total is different i'll not evolve it. That leaves out dragonair (sadly, as it's one of my favorite pokemon), watchog and zweilous leaving me with a perfect 6 members in linoone, mightyena, castform, azumarill, metang and shelgon. Metang is sadly only available after the E4 but i plan on finishing the run only with a full team. 2 of the members are on the 1st route, the other 2 are a little further ahead and bagon is only available after defeating sotopolis gym. Very limited type coverage but linoone is versatile enough to use other type attacks. I'll be playing emerald. let's see if i can smoke weed ewryday and blaze through hoenn.

beforehand i msut say, the first 2 gyms are gonna suck. rock which resists normal and fighting which is SE o normal and dark so brawly is going to kick my a55.

Started my adventure. Caught Snoop Dogg, the poochyena and after catching joint the bold zigzagoon which it's nature is not good, i caught Weeeeeeeed the zigzagoon and caught another zigzagoon, this time female but calm and named her Mary Jane. joint and mary jane are going to be my pick up guys which is always good and i started training weeeeeeeed and snoop dogg.

Reached past rusteboro and defeated all the trainers. Grinded weeeeeeeed and snoop dogg to level 14 and snoop learned bite which is the only thing i can use effectively on roxane (thank goodness for the split not being implemented yet). Defeated all the gym trainers and and saved before roxane.

Last edited:

Vroomer

Found my Gen 3 games while cleaning out my storage room.

image_zps7cgqkhtt.jpg

And my Gen 2 games. My copy of Gold is still in the shrink. Oh yeah! Have the Prima guide, too. Luckily I foundy GBA SP about 45 minutes later.

Dead batteries for sure. Sapphire I had 2 pokes. Will get on Ruby here shortly. Had to find my SP and charge the battery on that!

Ruby:

Powered up the GBA SP. had to charge it big time. Dry battery - knew it. Had a save file on it with 20 Pokes in the Dex as owned. Nice. Had started with Torchic all those years ago. Was a Combusken. Zigzagzoon was my HM bot and continues to be. Had 2 Gym badges too. Nice.

My journey continues...
Got the Exp Share from Steven's dad.
Trick House CUT part done.
Defeated May on Route 110.
Got my Mach bike. Defeated Wally and his Ralts. Realized I didn't have a Ralts, yet. Went to Route 102 and FINALLY had one appear after 50+ encounters. Grrr- felt it took far too long to get a Ralts.
Defeated Watson.
Defeated Maxie on Mt. Chimney.

Now to fire up the GBA.

Sapphire:
Powered this one up first. Had a Mudkip and Lotoad on it. Nothing else. Will trade to Ruby and reset. Trade starter, repeat.

Now where is my GBA cable...

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquarelle

Staff member
Spent a little more time on LeafGreen today. I biked from Fuchsia to Vermilion and took the ferry over to Three Island. Once I arrived, I decided to go to the Berry Forest since berry collecting is always fun. I went through the entire forest and was able to find a good number of berries on the ground. After that, I sailed back to the mainland and returned to the Game Corner in Celadon. I did a little better at the slots than last time, and wanted to keep playing until I got 3 sevens, but my SP's red battery put a stop to that plan. I did play enough today to reach 350 hours of playtime on my save file, though, which was neat since I didn't realize I'd played the game so much.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
bite is a lifesaver. defeated both geodudes with easy 2HKOs and for nosepoass i switched to blunt and growl it do death. then i switched to snoop dogg and i had to use so many bites because of roxane's 2 potions + oran berry. then i cleared the cut areas after rusteboro and after defeating the aqua grunt in the whismur cave i cleared the rest of the cut areas. traveled to dewford, cleared granite cave with ease, avoiding aron and sableye and both snoop dogg and weeeeeeeed evolved. weeeeeeeed's headbutt is great with stab and once again, bite is what makes this run that much easier. I went as far as defeating all trainers until the trick house (including) and leveled up my team becasue brawly is my death otherwise. picked up torment in slateport and teached it to snoop dogg. my team was level 22 and i decided to face brawly (i cleared the gym trainers previously).

I sent dee oh double gee for that free intimidate and brawly sent machop. switched to weeeeeeeed and suffered a low kick for 20's damage (about 1/3 of the HP). he managed to defeat machop with 2 headbutts with machop's bulk up not being able to absorb the 2nd hit. Next was meditite. switched to dogg and used torment but i forgot he had focus punch so i took one in the face when i went to heal weeeeeeeed with a potion. dogg survived with 7 hp out of 57 and i managed to defeat him with 2 bites since he tried focus punch again. then when he sent makuhita i switched out and in and managed to intimidate it but got arm trusted immediately and dogg fainted. then i switched to weeeeeeeed and used 2 headbutts and makuhita's health became yellow. i was expecting super potion but luckily he didn't heal so the 3rd headbutt knocked it out. I'm so happy i was able to defeat brawly 1st time. Now i'm going to continue exploring the route after the tricky house.

other though battles include may's curse lvl 13 torkoal and a level 12 aron from the youngster after the tricky house, which i managed to defeat much easier by using bite. What's sad is that i can only catch marill after getting surf so i have to defeat everyone until norman with only snoop dogg and weeeeeeeed. But i think the hardest gym is done with and norman may be really though but i think i can work around my dad. after marill i'll just have castfrom until i defeat juan.

Vroomer

Ruby:

6 gyms down. Got surf and saved the weather institute. Got my Castform. Began my trek down Route 119 without healing my team at a Pokemon Center first. Big mistake. The trainer with Milotic was able to wipe the team since all my guys had 1 or 0 PP in key moves - meaning, my Gardevoir was out of Psychic.. Team wipe. So, we healed and went back down Route 119. Cleared out the rest of the trainers.

Started looking for my Freebas. spent All day hitting the fishing spots. Got 3 encounters from each spot. No Freebas. Grrr! Time to change what's trending in Dewford and try again.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
and another one bites the rainbow dust. watson's magneton was though but i broke through it. defeated every trainer in the routes leaving mauville, got some dank black glasses for snoop dogg and missed the cycling road for some reason. watson is never a pushover, even if you choose torchic as your starter, he gives you a lot of trouble. vltorb and electrike were a piece of cake, with electrike being the annoiyng dog he is paralyzing snoop dogg when i took him down. magneton took a torment in it's face (what an unexpectedly useful move) so it couldn't shock wave me twice. then i switched to weeeeeeeed and proceeded to rock smash it to bits while continually healing paralysis and hp. as usual it does little damage but the defense drops really help. they knew what they were doing by putting rock smash in mauville. manectric wasn't easy either, i used torment on it too and weeeeeeeed headbutted it good. i stopped just before stepping in the volcano area.

Vroomer

Ruby:
Cleared out Team Magma's secret base. Got my Master Ball. Leveled up my Skarmoy to get a steel attack. Even at Level 32, it did great at the Psychic gym. Gym seven down.

Had to order a game link cable as mine is long gone. Will be trading the starters and Sapphire exclusives over soon.

Made it to Shoal Cave - high tide. Got two Spheals. Will have to check their move sets and decide who makes my E4/Champ team. Made it to Sootopolis and got the Brick Break TM.

Next stop - Team Magma and the Cave of Origin.

Last edited:

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
why am i such an idiot? i thought marill was only available after i got surf but it's on the wild in the day care route. well f*ck me. no matter, surf marill is relatively high level (23-24) so it's not that big of a deal. sadly, the 1st marill i caught had huge power but modest nature, so the search continues.

Flannery was challenging. torkoal kept paralyzing me with body slam and i took a overheat in the face and had to use a revive but in the end i ended up victorious from the bong gym. Norman was not that hard because, well, weeeeeeeed and snoop dogg were level 38, as they should be, overleveled. dad got nothing on me.

Vroomer

Ruby:
Defeated Maxie and Team Magma in the underground cavern. They woke Groudon and everyone panicked. Thankfully I was holding the Red Orb and went into the Cave of Origin. Picked up Waterfall. Encountered Groudon. Awe... Not a shiny - soft reset. Wait... Grrr! Had to defeat Maxie and Team Magma, again and all the chat in between. Got back to the spot next to where the Orb activates - Saved the game. Now, I am soft resetting for a Shiny.

S:
Stopped Team Aqua near Rustboro. Saved the papers. Delivered Mr. Stone's letter to Steven. Delivered the goods to Capt. Stern. Gyms 1 and 2 defeated along the way. Picked up more pokes and Cut. Got my Exp Share. Shaping up to be a nice team.

Additional post:

My replacement GBA link cable arrived. A third party one... But it worked. Traded a Torchic and Treeco to my Sapphire and began leveling them up to catch Mudkip. Today, I traded my Kadabra to my beat up Ruby to evolve it. Then, back to Sapphire.

Not sure of I want to continue to SR for Shiny Groudon with my Dry Battery.... With the RNG broken, is it worth it? PM me your thoughts.

Last edited: