• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Recent Happenings Thread

JourneymanN00b

Alright, so Kacper finished the third part of the Lithium Rogue’s Journey after having a rather tense moment in the second Rival fight.

Part 3 Report:

I visit Mr. Briney and head to Slateport, where I head to Route 109 and get the hidden Revive and the Soft Sand. I then head to Slateport City, enter Stern’s Shipyard, and then the museum, and get the TM46 from a Team Aqua Grunt and proceed to fight the Aqua Grunts. I Mud Shot Aqua Grunt 1’s Carvanha, then tackle and then Water Gun Aqua Grunt 2’s Zubat, and finally proceed to Mud Shot Agua Grunt 2’s Carvanha. I forego learning Foresight in the process. I then hand over the Devon Goods to Captain Stern and head to Route 110, equip the Soft Sand, but *don’t* use a Repel since my Marshstomp is at 42 HP. I encounter and fight a Plusule, and then a Dire Hit and a Full Heal and begin the second Rival Battle, where I use 2 X Attacks, 2 X Speed, 1 Super Potion, and then use 2 Mud Slaps and a Tackle on the Rival’s Wailmer. I then use Mud Shot twice on Rival’s Grovyle, but unluckily get 2 Absorbs in the face. I am then forced to use a Revive and a Super Potion on the Marshstomp, while my other two Pokemon get owned. I then Mud Shot the Rival’s Numel and proceed to get the Itemfinder. I get the Hidden Revive and encounter an Electrike and an Oddish, both of which I take out. I get the 9 Nanab Berries. Upon reaching Mauville City, I heal up at the Pokemon Center instead of using my Super Potion and Ether as planned, buy 1 X Speed, and get the HM06 and Mach Bike. I then fight Wally and use Mud Shot on Wally’s Ralts. After registering my bike, I enter the gym and fight Battle Girl Vivian and use Water Gun and Mud Shot on Battle Girl Vivian’s Meditite. I fight Guitarist Shawn and use Mud Shot on all three of Guitarist Shawn’s Voltorb. I fight Wattson and use using Mud Shot on his Magnemite. I then use a Super Potion and X speed before using Mud Shot on Voltorb, and Magneton. I get the Dynamo Badge and TM34 with a sigh of relief.

Below is my fourth part plan to get the fourth Gym Badge.

Part 4:

Before leaving Mauville City, Heal up at the Pokémon center.

Route 111, Fiery Path, Route 112, and Route 113:

In Route 111, battle Cooltrainer Brooke. Tackle Cooltrainer Brooke’s Wingull twice. Mud Shot Cooltrainer Brooke’s Roselia. Water Gun Cooltrainer Brooke’s Numel. At Fiery Path, use Repel to avoid any encounters here. At Route 112, use Repel to avoid any encounters in the grass. Try to avoid any trainers. In Route 113, maybe fight any wild encounters here, but otherwise use Repel in a mad dash to Fallarbor Town.

Fallarbor Town:

Heal up at Pokémon Center, get Nugget, go to mart. Sell Nugget, TM08, TM47, and buy 3 Super Potion, 4 Super Repel, 9 x Special, 2 Revive, 1 X Speed, 8 X Attack, 1 X Defend, and 2 Guard Spec.

Route 114, Meteor Falls, and Route 115:

If a Seviper is encountered in Route 114, battle it for EXP using Mud Shot. Undertake Team Aqua cutscene at Meteor Falls. Attempt to Dodge Spinners at Route 115.

Rustboro City:

Heal at Pokémon Center.

Route 116 and Rusturf Tunnel:

Battle any wild encounters within reason. Get HM04 at Rusturf Tunnel.

Verdanturf town:

Heal at Pokémon Center.

Route 117:

Teach Strength over Water Gun, head to Mauville City. Battle any encounters there.

Mauville City:

Heal at Pokémon Center.

Route 111, Route 112, Mt. Chimney:

Head through Route 111 and Route 112 to Mt. Chimney, taking the Cable Car at Route 112 to do so. Fight Aqua Grunt, and use Strength against his Zubat, and Strength against his Poochyena. Fight Aqua Grunt Admin. Use Mud Shot on Aqua Grunt Admin’s Carvanha, use Strength Aqua Grunt Admin’s Poochyena, and Use Mud Shot on Aqua Grunt Admin’s second Carvanha. Switch to Taillow at the front. Fight Archie. Use Guard Spec on Marshstomp. After Taillow faints, Switch to Marshstomp, then use X Attack, X Speed, then Use Strength on Mightyena. Use another X Attack, then finish off Mightyena with Strength. Use Tackle and Strength on Golbat. Use Mud Shot on Sharpedo. Head to Lavaridge City.

Lavaridge City:

Go to Herb Shop, buy 2 Energy Powder, 2 Energy Root, and 2 Heal Powders. Go to Gym, switch to Swampert, heal it up to 45 HP, and fight Flannery. Use X Attack 4 times, then use Strength on Flannery’s Slugma. Use Strength on Slugma, and use Mud Shot on Torkoal. Get the Heat Badge.

So, my Marshstomp is currently at Lv 24, while my Taillow and Slakoth are at Lv 5 still. There are a couple of chokepoints in this part, but I should be able to pull through if I don't make any mistakes or get unlucky. Hopefully there are no flaws in my fourth badge. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. I’ll probably start the third part within a day or two and provide an update then.

Last edited:

JourneymanN00b

Alright, so Kacper got super owned in the fourth part of the Lithium Rogue’s Journey, due to a combination of bad luck and stupid mistakes.

Part 4 Report:

I head to Route 111 and use Rock Smash to clear my way and encounter a Geodude that promptly gets Water Guned. I then decide not to use not to use the Repel in my journey through Route 112 and the Fiery Path. I fight a Slugma and a Numel in the Fiery Path. On my way to Route 112, I get intercepted by Cooltrainer Wilton, and use Mud Shot on his Electrike and forgo learning Mud Sport. I then use 2 Mud Shots and a Tackle on Cooltrainer Wilton’s Wailmer and 2 Water Guns on Cooltrainer Wilton’s Makuhita. I take on Cooltrainer Brooke, where it quickly turns into a disaster after my Marshstomp gets Growled. After my Marshstomp Tackles Cooltrainer Brooke’s Wingull, I switch my Marshstom to Slakoth and use my remaining Super Potion on Marshstomp, while Cooltrainer Brooke’s Roselia takes out my Slakoth with a single Mega Drain. Marshstomp proceeds to return the favor to the Roselia with a Mud Shot, and finishes the battle by a single Water Gun on Cooltrainer Brook’s Numel. On Route 113, I face and defeat 2 Sandshrews and 2 Spindas, and make it to Fallbor Town, where I heal up at the Pokémon center. I then get the Nugget and go to the mart, where I sell the Nugget, TM08, and TM47. I then buy 3 Super Potion, 4 Super Repel, 9 x Special, 1 X Speed, 8 X Attack, 1 X Defend, and 2 Guard Spec. I find out that the store doesn’t sell Revives, and decide to save my money to buy 2 Revives at Lavaridge town. I proceed to Route 114, get 6 Persim Berries, and run into Hiker Lucas. I Water Gun each of Hiker Lucas’ 3 Geodudes and run into Hiker Lenny after some serious bike errors. I use Rock Smash and Mud Shot on Hiker Lenny’s first Machop, and use Mud Shot and Tackle on Hiker Lenny’s second Machop. Cursing myself for my mistakes, I reach Meteor Falls and undertake the Team Aqua cutscene. After that, I run into and defeat 2 Zubats before I leave Meteor Falls. After healing at the Rustboro City Pokémon Center, I enter Route 116 and battle a Whimsaur, and head to Rusturf Tunnel, were I get HM04 and a Max Ether and fight another Whimsaur. After healing at the Pokémon Center at Verdanturf town, I replace Water Gun with Strength and head to Mauville City. On my way there, I get intercepted by Triathlete Maria, I take out Triathelete Maria’s Doduo with three Rock Smashes and a Tackle. After healing at the Pokémon Center at Mauville City, I head through Route 111 and Route 112 to Mt. Chimney. On my way there, I run into Picknicker Irene, I Rock Smash Picknicker Irene’s Shroomish once and follow it up with two Tackles, which is enough to defeat it, but not before it Poisons and heavily damages my Marshstomp. I then Mud Shot Picknicker Irene’s Marrill, and use a Pecha Berry and use two Potions on my Marshstomp before I proceed. I also run into Camper Travis, and use Tackle and Mud Shot to deal with Camper Travis’ Sandshrew, but not before it poisons Marshstomp again, prompting a use of another Pecha Berry and my last Potion. I also run into and defeat 2 Numels before I reach the Cable Car to Mt. Chimney. I then fight the Aqua Grunt, and use Strength against his Zubat, and Strength against his Poochyena. I proceed to then fight Aqua Grunt Admin. I use Mud Shot on Aqua Admin Matt’s Carvanha, Strength Aqua Admin Matt’s Poochyena, and Mud Shot on Aqua Admin Matt’s second Carvanha. After using an Oran Berry on Marshstomp, I switch to Taillow at the front and proceed to fight Archie.

I use Guard Spec, and switch to Marshstomp after Taillow faints. I then use X Attack, X Speed, then Use Strength on Mightyena. I then use another X Attack, then finish off Mightyena with Strength. Use Tackle and Strength on Golbat. Before I am able to use Mud Shot on Sharpedo, Sharpedo manages to take out Marshstomp using Crunch. After sending in Slakoth to buy time for me to use the Revive on Marshstomp, I attempt to use Mud Shot on Sharpedo again, which succeeds, but does not defeat it. It takes two more lucky Mud Shots before the Sharpedo goes down. With a sigh of relief, I attempt to head to Lavaridge City, picking up one Burn Heal at the Jagged Pass. But just before I leave the Jagged Pass, I fail to evade Picknicker Diana, whose Shroomish proceeds to finish me off with a very unlucky critical Mega Drain. OUCH. Talk about being super unlucky AND stupid for getting the timing wrong.

So that is the end of that run. I’ll probably start a new run in a day or two. If you want to vote on the gender and name of the new player, now is the time.

JourneymanN00b

So with no response, I choose a female character this time and name her Marcia. This time, the attempt gets to a good start.

The Lithium’s Rogue’s Journey Attempt #3: Marcia

Part 1 Report:

I get the PC potion and introducing myself to Brendan, I head to Route 101 and get the Mudkip, and proceed to tackle the Wild Poochyena twice. When I get the chance to take a look at the Mudkip’s stats, I find that it has 12 Attack, 12 Defense, 10 Sp. Attack, 11 Sp. Defense, and 8 Speed, which are not good stats at all. On my way to my Oldale town, I encounter and defeat a Poochyena. After getting the Potion in Oldale town and healing up at the Pokémon center, I head to Brendan. On the way there, I encounter another Poochyena and defeat it. Battling Brendan’s Treeko causes my Mudkip to reach 10 HP, but I manage to win the battle. After returning to the lab and getting the running shoes, I heal using mother, and head to Route 102. I Tackle Youngster Calvin’s Zigzagoon 3 times and encounter a Wurmple and a Zigzagoon, which I decide to Tackle spam to get EXP and pick up 2 Oran Berries and 2 Pecha Berries. On my way out, I encounter a Ralts and defeat it. I make it to Petalburg City, heal at the Pokémon Center, and buy 5 Potions and 1 Repel. I then go to father’s gym and help Wally catch his first Pokémon. I then head to Route 104, get 2 Oran Berries and 2 Pecha Berries. In Petalburg Woods, I DON’T manage to dodge Bug Catcher Lyle, and am forced to battle him. I Tackle each of his Wurmples, and learn Water Gun in the process. I then get a Paralyz Heal and encounter and defeat a Zigzagoon. I Tackle Team Aqua Grunt’s Poochyena 4 times and get the Great Ball. After that, I get the Ether and leave Petalburg Woods. When entering the second half of Route 104, I decide to veer off and get 2 Oran Berries, 4 Cheri Berries, 2 Leppa Berries, the Chesto Berry, and the TM09. I then make it to Rustboro City and heal up at the Pokémon center. After that, I head to Rustboro Gym and Water Gun each of Youngster Josh’s three Geodudes. I then Water Gun Youngster Tommy’s Geodude and face Roxanne. I Water Gun Roxanne’s Geodude and Water Gun her Nosepass 7 times, and get the Stone Badge and TM39 to end the part.

So I’m going to follow the same plan for getting the second Gym Badge, only I will catch any Taillows that I spot in Route 116. I will also skip any Pokémon center visits after Rustboro City to get my Mudkip in the HP range needed to win the second Brendan fight in the third part.

My Mudkip is at level 14, and is at 8 HP right now. I will report with the next part soon. Any input or advice is welcome.

EDIT: Marcia has managed to get the second Gym Badge without too much problems.

Part 2 Report:

So I continue the journey by healing at the Pokémon center, and getting HM01 and the Quick claw. After equipping Mudkip with the Quick Claw, I go to Route 116 and encounter and defeat a Zigzagoon, leaning Bide over Growl. I then fight Youngster Joey. In that battle, I Water Gun Youngster Joey’s Zigzagoon once, and Water Gun Youngster Joey’s Machop once, which turned out to be a critical hit. I then encounter and defeat a Zigzagoon, and battle Hiker Clark, where I Water Gun each of Hiker Clark’s Geodudes. My Mudip evolves into Marshstomp and forgets Bide to learn Mud Shot. After that, I get an X Special and a Poke Ball, encounter and defeat 3 Whimsaurs, and battle Team Aqua Grunt and Water Gun Aqua Grunt’s Poochyena twice. After getting the Devon Goods, I return to Rustboro City, where I return the Devon Goods, get another Great Ball, the PokeNav, the Slateport package, and a letter for Steven. I then heal up at the Pokémon Center and head to the Mart and sell all Poké Balls and TM39 and buy 4 Super Potion, 2 X Speed, 3 X Attack, and 3 Repel. I then head to Route 104, where I miss the timing again and am forced to battle Rich Boy Winston. His Zigzagoon goes down to a single tackle. I then visit Mr. Briney, and go to Dewford town. I then head straight to the Granite Cave, get the HM05 and Escape Rope, and fight 1 Geodude, 1 Makuhita, 3 Arons, and 4 Zubats on my way to Steven. I also decide to catch a Makuhita as insurance if mu Marshstomp faints at any later stages. Upon reaching Steven, I give him the letter and get TM47, and use the Escape Rope to leave the Granite Cave. I then return to Dewford Town and head to the gym. I fight Battle Girl Laura and use Water Gun and Mud Shot on Battle Girl Laura’s Medtite. After using a Potion on Marshstomp, I begin the battle against Brawly. I use X Attack, then use Mud Shot once on Brawly’s Machop, which turned out to be a critical hit and enough to take it down. I then use Mud Shot three times on Brawly’s Makuhita, and get the Knuckle Badge and TM08 and proceed to end the part with pride.

My Pokemon currently consists of a Level 19 Marshstomp and a Level 11 Makuhita. The Marshstomp is at 38 HP right now, while the Makuhita is at 3 HP. From what I understand, the Marshstomp is within the perfect HP range for the second Brendan fight in the next part.

EDIT: Marcia somehow managed to screw up AGAIN in the second Brendan fight, and met an unhappy end.

Part 3 Report:

I start off by visiting Mr. Briney and heading to Slateport, and proceed to get the hidden revive and Soft sand in Route 109. I then head to Slateport City, enter Stern’s Shipyard, and then the museum, and get the TM46 from a Team Aqua Grunt and proceed to fight the Aqua Grunts. I Mud Shot Aqua Grunt 1’s Carvanha, then Tackle Aqua Grunt 2’s Zubat, which is enough to take it out in one shot, and finally proceed to Mud Shot Agua Grunt 2’s Carvanha. I forego learning Foresight in the process. I then hand over the Devon Goods to Captain Stern, buy a Great Ball at Slateport for catching insurance, and head to Route 110 where I equip the Soft Sand, and encounter and defeat 2 Electrikes, a Gulpin, a Pusule, an Oddish, and a Zigzagoon and get a Dire Hit and Full Heal. After using a Potion to heal up the Marshstomp, I start the second Brendan Battle. I begin by using 2 X Attacks and a Super Potion and use Mud Slap on Brendan’s Numel. I thought that since my Marshstomp has 27 Speed, that not using X Speed was the way to go since I believed that the Marshstomp would have priority after the first Mud Shot. Unfortunately, that somehow did not prove to the case, as Brendan’s Grovyle was somehow still the faster Pokémon in the second turn and proceeded to kill my Pokemon. Another run down the trenches.

I’ll probably start another run in the next several days, but I’m seriously going to figure out what exactly happened here, as the plan should have succeeded from my research of the Grovyle's stats.

EDIT: Testing did show that the desired result DID occur after using X speed once on Marshstomp. Which is useful and something to note for when the next run begins.

Last edited:

JourneymanN00b

So, another run begins, this time with a male trainer named Jaime. The first part is cleared after a somewhat tense situation with Roxanne.

The Lithium Rogue’s Journey Attempt #4: Jaime

Part 1 Report:

After I get the PC potion and introducing myself to May, I head to Route 101 and get the Mudkip, and proceed to tackle the Wild Poochyena three times. When I get the chance to take a look at the Mudkip’s stats, I find that it has 11 Attack, 11 Defense, 10 Sp. Attack, 11 Sp. Defense, and 9 Speed, which are okay stats. After getting the Potion in Oldale town and healing up at the Pokémon center, I head to May. On the way there, I encounter a Poochyena and defeat it. Battling May’s Treeko by Tackling it three times (with one of them being a critical hit) causes my Mudkip to reach 8 HP, but I manage to win the battle. After returning to the lab and getting the running shoes, I heal using mother, and head to Route 102. On my way there, I encounter and defeat a Wurmple. When I battle Youngster Calvin, I tackle Youngster Calvin’s Zigzagoon 7 times and proceed through the route. I encounter a Wurmple, which I decide to defeat and pick up 2 Oran Berries and 2 Pecha Berries. On my way out, I encounter a Lotad and defeat it. I make it to Petalburg City, heal at the Pokémon Center, and buy 5 Potions and 1 Repel. I then go to father’s gym and help Wally catch his first Pokémon. I then head to Route 104, where I encounter and defeat a Wurmple and Zigzagoon, and get 2 Oran Berries and 2 Pecha Berries. In Petalburg Woods, I encounter and defeat a Wumple and a Zigzagoon, and then get a Paralyz Heal. I Tackle Team Aqua Grunt’s Poochyena 3 times, and am forced to use a Potion because of some lucky hits. After Tackling Team Aqua Grunt’s Poocyena 2 more times, I defeat it and get the Great Ball. After that, I encounter and defeat another Zigzagoon and Wurmple, and get the Ether and leave Petalburg Woods. When entering the second half of Route 104, I get 2 Oran Berries, 4 Cheri Berries, 2 Leppa Berries, the Chesto Berry, and the TM09. I then make it to Rustboro City and heal up at the Pokémon center. After that, I head to Rustboro Gym and Water Gun each of Youngster Josh’s three Geodudes. I then Water Gun Youngster Tommy’s Geodude and face Roxanne. I Water Gun Roxanne’s Geodude and Water Gun her Nosepass 6 times, who gets my Mudkip to 6 HP, and get the Stone Badge and TM39 to end the part.

For the second part, I will follow the same plan that I outline for the previous attempt. I will hopefully post an update within a day.

EDIT: Jaime managed to get the second Gym Badge without too much trouble, as expected.

Part 2 Report:

So I continue the journey by healing at the Pokémon center, and getting HM01 and the Quick claw. After equipping Mudkip with the Quick Claw, I go to Route 116 and encounter a Taillow. After tackling it once, I use a Poke Ball and succeed in catching it. I then fight Youngster Joey. In that battle, I Water Gun Youngster Joey’s Zigzagoon twice, and Water Gun Youngster Joey’s Machop three times to win the battle. I forget Growl to make room for Bide. I miss the timing and run into Lass Janice, where I use two Mud Slaps and a critical hit Tackle to deal with Lass Janice’s Marill. I then battle Hiker Clark, where I Water Gun each of Hiker Clark’s Geodudes. My Mudkip evolves into Marshstomp and forgets Bide to learn Mud Shot. After that, I get an X Special and a Poke Ball, and battle Team Aqua Grunt, where I Water Gun Aqua Grunt’s Poochyena twice. After getting the Devon Goods, I encounter and defeat a Zigzagoon and return to Rustboro City, where I return the Devon Goods, get another Great Ball, the PokeNav, the Slateport package, and a letter for Steven. I then heal up at the Pokémon Center and head to the Mart and sell all Poké Balls and TM39 and buy 4 Super Potion, 2 X Speed, 3 X Attack, and 3 Repel. I then head to Route 104, where I miss the timing again and am forced to battle Rich Boy Winston. His Zigzagoon goes down to three Tackles. I then visit Mr. Briney, and go to Dewford town. I then head straight to the Granite Cave, get the HM05 and Escape Rope, and fight 5 Zubats, 2 Arons, and 2 Makuhitas on my way to Steven. Upon reaching Steven, I give him the letter and get TM47, and use the Escape Rope to leave the Granite Cave. I then return to Dewford Town and head to the gym. I fight Battle Girl Laura and use Water Gun and Mud Shot on Battle Girl Laura’s Medtite. After using a Potion on Marshstomp, I begin the battle against Brawly. I use X Attack, then use Mud Shot three times on Brawly’s Machop. I then use Mud Shot three times on Brawly’s Makuhita, and get the Knuckle Badge and TM08 and proceed to end the part with pride.

My Pokémon currently consists of a Level 19 Marshstomp and a Level 6 Taillow. The Marshstomp is at 40 HP right now, while the Makuhita is at 3 HP. The Marshstomp should be within the ideal HP range for the second May fight in the next part.

EDIT: The run is another failure due to the WORST possible luck at the Grovyle fight.

Part 3 Report:

I visit Mr. Briney and head to Slateport, where I head to Route 109 and get the hidden Revive and the Soft Sand. I then head to Slateport City, enter Stern’s Shipyard, and then the museum, and get the TM46 from a Team Aqua Grunt and proceed to fight the Aqua Grunts. I Mud Shot Aqua Grunt 1’s Carvanha, then Tackle and then Water Gun Aqua Grunt 2’s Zubat, and finally proceed to Mud Shot Agua Grunt 2’s Carvanha. I forego learning Foresight in the process. I then hand over the Devon Goods to Captain Stern and head to Route 110, equip the Soft Sand, get the Dire Hit and Full Heal, and fight and defeat a Gulpin. I proceed to start the second May fight, where I use 2 X Attack, 1 X Speed, and a Super Potion before using 2 Mud-Slaps and a Tackle on May’s Wailmer. However, my Marshstomp picks the WORST time to miss his Mud Shot and ends up getting killed easily. Not even a Revive was enough to salvage the fight, since Grovyle easily outsped my Marshstomp. Really, really furious at the intense bad luck here. Another run will begin tomorrow.

Last edited:

JourneymanN00b

With me still fuming HARD for the unlucky miss and death blow that Jaime suffered, I begin another run with a female trainer named Holly, who passes the first part without too much trouble.

The Lithium Rogue’s Journey Attempt #5: Holly

Part 1 Report:

I get the PC potion and introduce myself to Brendan. I then head to Route 101 and get the Mudkip, and proceed to tackle the Wild Poochyena twice. When I get the chance to take a look at the Mudkip’s stats, I find that it has 12 Attack, 9 Defense, 11 Sp. Attack, 11 Sp. Defense, and 10 Speed, which are okay stats. After getting the Potion in Oldale town, I head to Brendan. Battling Brendan’s Treeko causes my Mudkip to reach 8 HP, but I manage to win the battle. After returning to the lab and getting the running shoes and 5 Poke Balls, I heal using mother, and head to Route 102. On my way, I encounter and defeat a Wurmple, and catch a Zigzagoon. I Tackle Youngster Calvin’s Zigzagoon 4 times and encounter 2 Wurmples, which I decide to defeat for EXP and pick up 2 Oran Berries and 2 Pecha Berries. On my way out, I encounter a Poochyena and defeat it. I make it to Petalburg City, heal at the Pokémon Center, and buy 2 Potions, 1 Repel, 1 X Speed, and 3 X Attacks. I then go to father’s gym and help Wally catch his first Pokémon. I then head to Route 104 and get 2 Oran Berries and 2 Pecha Berries. In Petalburg Woods, I encounter and defeat 2 Zigzagoons and a Wurmple, and get a Paralyz Heal. After using an Oran Bery on Mudkip, I Tackle Team Aqua Grunt’s Poochyena 4 times and get the Great Ball. After that, I encounter and defeat a Zigzagoon, get the Ether, and leave Petalburg Woods. When entering the second half of Route 104, I decide to veer off and get 2 Oran Berries, 4 Cheri Berries, 2 Leppa Berries, the Chesto Berry, and the TM09. I then make it to Rustboro City and heal up at the Pokémon center. After that, I head to Rustboro Gym and Water Gun each of Youngster Josh’s three Geodudes. I then Water Gun Youngster Tommy’s Geodude and face Roxanne. I Water Gun Roxanne’s Geodude and Water Gun her Nosepass 2 times, then decide to use a Potion, before using Water Gun 5 more times (with one of them being a critical hit) to finish it off. I get the Stone Badge and TM39 to end the part.

I’ll be following a slightly different plan for the next part in which the key differences involves teaching Rock Tomb to Mudkip over Growl, and picking up Stardust at the Granite Cave area. I will update with the second part later today.

EDIT: Holly has acquired the second Gym Badge with relative ease.

Part 2 Report:

So I continue the journey by healing at the Pokémon Center, and getting HM01 and the Quick claw. I then equip Mudkip with the Quick Claw, and teach Mudkip Rock Tomb (over Growl) and Zigzagoon Cut. I head to route 116 and fight Youngster Joey. In that battle, I Water Gun Youngster Joey’s Zigzagoon twice, and Water Gun Youngster Joey’s Machop three times to win the battle. Mudkip forgoes learning Bide in the process. I encounter and defeat a Nincada and face Hiker Clark, where I Water Gun each of his three Geodudes. My Mudip evolves into Marshstomp and forgets Mud Slap to learn Mud Shot. I get the X Special, enter Rusturf Tunnel, and get the Poke Ball. I battle Team Aqua Grunt, where I Water Gun Aqua Grunt’s Poochyena twice. After getting the Devon Goods, I encounter and defeat a Nincada and return to Rustboro City, where I return the Devon Goods, get another Great Ball, the PokeNav, the Slateport package, and a letter for Steven. I then heal up at the Pokémon Center and buy another X Attack before I leave Rustboro City. I head to Route 104 and miss the timing for Rich Boy Winston again. I take out Rich Boy Winston’s Zigzagoon with 3 Tackles, talk to Mr. Briney, and head to Dewford Town. I then head straight to the Granite Cave, get the HM05 and Escape Rope, and fight 1 Makuhita, 2 Zubats, and 4 Arons. Upon reaching Steven, I give him the letter and get TM47, and use the Escape Rope to leave the Granite Cave. After getting the Stardust on my way out of the Granite Cave, I return to Dewford Town and head to the gym. I fight Battle Girl Laura and use Water Gun and Mud Shot on Battle Girl Laura’s Medtite. I then begin the battle against Brawly. I use X Attack, then use Mud Shot three times on Brawly’s Machop. I then use Mud Shot once, a Tackle, and then 3 more Mud Shot on Brawly’s Makuhita, and get the Knuckle Badge and TM08 and proceed to end the part with pride.

My Marshstomp and Zigzagoon are level 19 and level 2 respectively right now, with the Marshstomp at 27 HP. So the Rival 2 fight should be doable, if my Marshstomp does not miss this time. I will do the third part later today.

EDIT: Holly managed to screw up the second rival fight AGAIN and is left with ANOTHER RUN RUINED.

Part 3 Report:

So I talk to Mr. Briney and head off to Slateport, where I get the hidden Revive, hidden Ether, and Soft Sand at Route 109. I then head to Slateport City, enter Stern’s Shipyard, and then the museum, and get the TM46 from a Team Aqua Grunt and proceed to fight the Aqua Grunts. I Mud Shot Aqua Grunt 1’s Carvanha, then attempt to Rock Tomb Aqua Grunt 2’s Zubat, but miss and get confused, which prompts me to use a Potion before successfully using Rock Tomb on it. I finally proceed to Mud Shot Agua Grunt 2’s Carvanha. I forego learning Foresight in the process. I then hand over the Devon Goods to Captain Stern and sell TM09, TM46, TM47, and the Stardust, and proceed to buy 8 Super Potions. I head to Route 110, equip the Soft Sand, get the Dire Hit and Full Heal, and encounter and catch a Wingull after tackling it once. I then start the second Brendan Fight, where I use 2 X Attack, 1 X Speed, 1 Super Potion, and use Water Gun on Brendan’s Numel. Apparently my Marshstomp was too fast, as it misses the timing on the Mud Shots, and delivers its Mud Shot BEFORE and subsequently gets killed, forcing me to switch to Zigzagoon and use my Revive on my Marshstomp. However, the Mud Shot was not effective and I white out AGAIN. Now I’m REALLY PISSED and am close to giving up this challenge because I seem to have the worst of luck. Apparently this was because my Marshstomp had exactly 30 Speed, which screwed up the timing of the runs. Jesus.

So, yet another run will begin tomorrow. I'm seriously considering giving up on this challenge if this next run doesn't work out, since fate really doesn't want me to succeed.

Last edited:

JourneymanN00b

I begin another run with a female trainer named Joanna, who passes the first two parts without too much trouble.

The Lithium Rogue’s Journey Attempt #6: Joanna

Part 1 Report:

I get the PC potion and introduce myself to Brendan. I then head to Route 101 and get the Mudkip, and proceed to tackle the Wild Poochyena twice. When I get the chance to take a look at the Mudkip’s stats, I find that it has 12 Attack, 12 Defense, 10 Sp. Attack, 10 Sp. Defense, and 8 Speed, which are horrible stats. I find and defeat a Wurmple on my way to Olddale town. After getting the Potion in Oldale town, I encounter and defeat 2 Zigzagoons, forcing me to use a Potion before facing Brendan. I beat Brendan’s Treeko without too much trouble after 5 Tackles to it. After returning to the lab and getting the running shoes and 5 Poke Balls, I heal using mother, and head to Route 102. On my way, I encounter and catch a Poochyena, which takes 2 Poke Balls to achieve. I also encounter and defeat a Zigzagoon and heal up at Olddale town’s Pokémon center. I Tackle Youngster Calvin’s Zigzagoon 3 times, with one of them being a critical hit. I then encounter and defeat a Ralts, and pick up 2 Oran Berries and 2 Pecha Berries. I make it to Petalburg City, heal at the Pokémon Center, and buy 2 Potions, 1 Repel, 1 X Speed, and 3 X Attacks. I then go to Norman’s gym and help Wally catch his first Pokémon. I then head to Route 104, where I was lucky enough to catch a Wingull after tackling it once, and get 2 Oran Berries and 2 Pecha Berries. In Petalburg Woods, I encounter and defeat a Zigzagoon. I Tackle Team Aqua Grunt’s Poochyena 4 times, one of them being a critical hit, and get the Great Ball. After that, I get the Ether, and leave Petalburg Woods. When entering the second half of Route 104, I decide to veer off and get 2 Oran Berries, 4 Cheri Berries, 2 Leppa Berries, the Chesto Berry, and the TM09. I then make it to Rustboro City and heal up at the Pokémon center. After that, I head to Rustboro Gym and use Mud Slap on Youngster Josh’s first Geodude 6 times, then Water Gun each of Youngster Josh’s two remaining Geodudes. I then Water Gun Youngster Tommy’s Geodude, use an Oran Berry, equip a second Oran Berry on Mudkip, and face Roxanne. I Water Gun Roxanne’s Geodude and Water Gun her Nosepass 6 times, with one of them being a critical hit. My Mudkip also ends up using the Oran Berry to survive. I get the Stone Badge and TM39 to end the part and continue to part 2.

Part 2 Report:

So I continue the journey by healing at the Pokémon Center, and getting HM01 and the Quick claw. I then equip Mudkip with the Quick Claw, and teach Mudkip Rock Tomb over Growl. I head to route 116 and fight Youngster Joey. In that battle, I Water Gun and Tackle Youngster Joey’s Zigzagoon, and Water Gun Youngster Joey’s Machop three times to win the battle. Mudkip forgoes learning Bide in the process. I encounter and defeat a Whismur and 2 Taillows and face Hiker Clark, where I Water Gun each of his three Geodudes. My Mudip evolves into Marshstomp and forgets Mud Slap to learn Mud Shot. I get the X Special, enter Rusturf Tunnel, fight and defeat 2 Whismurs, and get the Poke Ball. I battle Team Aqua Grunt, where I Water Gun Aqua Grunt’s Poochyena twice. After getting the Devon Goods, I encounter and defeat a Taillow and Whimsaur and return to Rustboro City, where I return the Devon Goods, get another Great Ball, the PokeNav, the Slateport package, and a letter for Steven. I then heal up at the Pokémon Center and buy another X Attack before I leave Rustboro City. I head to Route 104 and talk to Mr. Briney, and head to Dewford Town. I then head straight to the Granite Cave, get the HM05 and Escape Rope, and fight 1 Geodude, 3 Makuhitas, 1 Sableeye, 1 Aron, Upon reaching Steven, I give him the letter and get TM47, and use the Escape Rope to leave the Granite Cave. After getting the Stardust on my way out of the Granite Cave, I return to Dewford Town and head to the gym. After healing at the Pokémon Center, I fight Battle Girl Laura and use Water Gun and Mud Shot on Battle Girl Laura’s Medtite. I then begin the battle against Brawly. I use X Attack, then use Mud Shot twice on Brawly’s Machop. I then use Mud Shot once, a Tackle, and then 5 more Mud Shots on Brawly’s Makuhita, and get the Knuckle Badge and TM08 and proceed to end the part with pride.

My Marshstomp, Poochyena, and Wingull is at level 19, level 2, and level 4 respectively. The Marshstomp currently has 28 HP, which should put it within the ideal range for the second rival fight to be cleared, assuming it does not miss its Mud Shots. Will post the third part later today.

EDIT: So, Joanna actually manages to get the third badge after finally beating the second Brendan battle.

Part 3 Report:

So I talk to Mr. Briney and head off to Slateport, where I get the hidden Revive, hidden Ether, hidden Heart Scale, and Soft Sand at Route 109. I then head to Slateport City, enter Stern’s Shipyard, and then the museum, and get the TM46 from a Team Aqua Grunt and proceed to fight the Aqua Grunts. I Mud Shot Aqua Grunt 1’s Carvanha, then Rock Tomb Aqua Grunt 2’s Zubat. I finally proceed to Mud Shot Agua Grunt 2’s Carvanha. I then hand over the Devon Goods to Captain Stern and sell TM09, TM46, TM47, and the Stardust, and proceed to buy 8 Super Potions. I head to Route 110, equip the Soft Sand, get the Dire Hit and Full Heal, and encounter and run from 2 Plusules. After encountering and defeating a Zigzagoon and forgoing learning Foreight, I use an Oran Berry and begin the second rival battle. I use 2 X Attack, 1 X Speed, 1 Super Potion, and use Water Gun on Brendan’s Numel. When I face Brendan’s Grovyle, my Marshstomp’s two Mud Shots land PERFECTLY, with a massive sigh of relief. I finish Brendan’s Wailmer with a Tackle and a Mud Shot. I encounter and defeat a Minun, get the hidden Great ball and the Hidden revive, and flee from an encountered Gulpin. After dodging the spinners, I encounter and defeat an Electrike. I reach Mauville City, heal at the Pokémon center, and get an HM06 and the Acro Bike. After Teaching Rock Smash to Poochyena, I go to Wally and battle him, where his Ralts goes down to a single Mud Shot. I then enter the gym and fight Battle Girl Vivian, where I take out her Meditite with a single Mud Shot that was a critical hit. I proceed to face Guitarish Shawn, where I use a Mud Shot for each of his three Voltorbs. I then face Wattson, and use Mud Shot for each of his Magemite, Voltorb, and Magneton. I get the Dynamo Badge and TM34 and end the part.

So my Marshstomp is at level 24, and has 44 out of 68 HP. I will begin the fourth part either tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:

JourneymanN00b

Ok, so Joanna finished the fourth part after a relatively tense moment with the first Archie battle.

Part 4 Report:

After buying an X Attack in Mauville City for the Cooltrainer Brooke battle, I proceed to Route 111 to begin the run. I manage to dodge the spinners and reach Route 112, where I encounter and defeat a Numel and speed through the spinners to reach the Fiery Path. While inside the Fiery Path, I catch a Slugma as a slave in case my Marshstomp faints. I also encounter and defeat a Grimer and another Slugma. At the second half of Route 112, I get 4 Rawrst Berries and 4 Pecha Berries and head to the rest of Route 111 where I face Cooltrainer Brooke. I tackle Cooltrainer Brooke’s Wingull, and use an X Attack, and then a Water Gun and 2 more Tackles to finish the Wingull off. I then use a Mud Shot on Cooltrainer Brooke’s Roselia, which connects and finishes it off with a sigh of relief. I forego learning Mud Sport and enter Route 113, where I encounter and defeat a Spinda.

I then use a Potion and an Oran Berry and encounter and defeat 2 Sandshrews and 2 Spindas. I also run from a Skarmory out of desperation to reach Fallarbor Town. When I *do* reach Fallarbor Town, I heal up at the Pokémon Center, get the Nugget, and head to the Mart. I sell the Nugget, and buy 6 Super Repels, 3 X Specials, 8 X Attacks, 6 X Speeds, 2 X Defend, 1 Guard Spec, and 1 Escape Rope. I head to Route 114 and pick 6 Persim Berries. I encounter and defeat a Swablu and make it to Meteor Falls. After partaking in the cutscene, I leave Meteor Falls and speed through Route 115 to head to Rustboro City, where I heal ups at the Pokémon Center and head to Route 116. On Route 116, I miss the timing and run into Lass Janice, where I Tackle Lass Janice’s Marill twice to defeat it. I also encounter and defeat a Nincada on my journey to Rusturf Tunnel. Once there, I get the HM04 and Max Ether, and teach Strength to Marshstomp over Tackle. I then proceed to Vendanturf Town and heal at the Pokémon Center, and head to route 117. I miss the timing and run into Triathlete Maria, where I take out her Doduo with a Rock Tomb. After healing up at Mauville City’s Pokémon Center, I head back up to Mt. Chimney. On my way there, I encounter and defeat a Numel. When I arrive at Mt. Chimney, I battle Team Aqua Grunt and use a single Strength apiece to take out Team Aqua Grunt’s Zubat and Poochyena. I then proceed to battle Aqua Admin Matt, and use Mud Shot on Aqua Admin Matt’s first Carvanhas, Strength on Aqua Admin Matt’s Poochyena, and Mud Shot on Aqua Admin Matt’s second Carvanhas. After having Marshstomp hold a Persim Berry, I switch to Poochyena at the front and face Archie.

I use Guard Spec, and switch to Marshstomp after Poochyena faints. I then use X Attack, X Speed, then use Strength on Archie’s Mightyena. I then use another X Attack, then finish off Archie’s Mightyena with Strength. I use Rock Tomb on Archie’s Golbat, which misses, and use Rock Tomb again, which connects this time. After using a Super Potion, I use another Rock Tomb on Archie’s Golbat to finish it off, which turned out to be a critical hit. I use a single Mud Shot on Archie’s Sharpedo, which turned out to be enough to defeat it. With a great cheer, I head down the Jagged Pass, where I pick up a Burn Heal and make it to Lavaridge town. After healing up at the Pokémon Center, I visit the Herb Shop and buy 4 Heal Powders and 4 Energy Roots. I then switch the Marshstomp at the front and equip it with a Cheri Berry. I then enter the gym and face Flannery. After using an X attack, I use Strength, Water Gun, and Strength on Flannery’s first Slugma. I then use Mud Shot on Flannery’s second Slugma, and use Mud Shot twice on Flannery’s Torkal to win the battle. I get the Heat Badge and TM 50 and get the Go-goggles from Brendan to end the part.

Below is my plan for the fifth part to get the fifth Gym Badge.

Part 5:

Routes 112, 111, and 110:

Head back to Mr. Briney and travel to Petalburg City.

Petalburg City:

Buy 1 X Attack at the Mart, equip Marshstomp with Chesto Berry, and enter the gym. Take the left door and fight Cooltrainer Randall. Use Mud Shot 3 times against Cooltrainer Randall’s Delcatty. Heal Marshtomp and equip Soft Sand on it after the battle. Take the left door and face Cool Trainer Parker. Use Mud Shot 4 Times against Cool Trainer Parker’s Liccone. Heal Marshstomp before facing Cool Trainer Jody. Battle Cool Trainer Jody and use 2 Mud Shot and a Strength on Cool Trainer Jody’s Zangoose. Fully heal Marshstomp and equip it with a Chesto Berry. Battle Norman, and use X Defend and 2 X Attack, then use a Mud Shot on Norman’s first Slaking. Follow that up with an Energy Powder and an X Speed before finishing the Slaking off with 2 Mud Shots. Depending on what Marshstomp’s stats are, maybe an additional X Defend and X Attack is used here. Use Mud Shot on Norman’s Vigoroth, then use another Energy Powder to heal it up before finishing it off with Strength. Use Strength, Rock Tomb, and Strength against Norman’s Slaking. Get the Balance Badge.

I’ll start the next part either tonight or tomorrow.

JourneymanN00b

Okay, so Joanna managed to barely finish the fifth part after some very, very unlucky critical hits from Norman's Pokémon.

Part 5 Report:

After healing up at Lavaridge Town’s Pokémon Center, I make my mad dash towards Mr. Briney. Along the way, I encounter and defeat a Numel, a Geodude, a Zigzagoon, 2 Electrikes, and 2 Wingulls. Upon reaching Petalburg City, I heal at the Pokémon Center and buy 1 X Attack at the Mart. After equipping Marshstomp with a Chesto Berry, I enter the gym. I take the left door and fight Cooltrainer Randall, where I Use Mud Shot 3 times against Cooltrainer Randall’s Delcatty to defeat it. The Delcatty DOES use Sing in the second round, forcing the use of the Chesto Berry. After equipping Marshstomp with Soft Sand, I take the left door and face Cool Trainer Parker. I use Mud Shot 3 Times against Cool Trainer Parker’s Liccone. During that battle, Marshstomp gets flinched twice. I heal Marshstomp using a Super Potion and an Oran Berry, and face Cool Trainer Jody. I attempt to use a Mud Shot, but it unfortunately misses, which really causes some tension. Fortunately, Cool Trainer Jody uses a Swords Dance, which allows me to defeat it with 2 well placed Mud Shots on Cool Trainer Jody’s Zangoose without taking any damage. I then battle Norman. I start off by using 1 X Defend, 1 X Speed and 1 X Attack, before I use a Super Potion to heal up from 2 Facades dealt from Norman’s first Slaking. I then use 2 X Attacks and a Mud shot at the First Slaking, before I use another Super Potion to heal up. After that, I use Strength twice, and use a Heal Powder to cure Marshstomp’s sleep from the Slaking’s Yawns. I then use Strength twice, which dispatches the Slaking, and forego learning Take Down in the process. I use a Heal Powder to cure Marshstomp’s sleep again, and attempt to use a Mud Shot, but am pre-empted by a critical hit Slash, which causes my Marshstomp to faint. Cursing at my ill luck, I switch in Poochyena, and use revive on Marshstomp. I then set up my Pokémon again with an X Defend, and heal with a Super Potion, and 3 X Attacks, before I die to ANOTHER critical hit Slash from Vigoroth. With great frustration and a sense of defeat, I make one desperate attempt that I thought would fail by reviving my Marshstomp at the expense of my Slugma, and 1 X Attack, and use 1 Mud Shot, and 2 Strengths, and use 2 Energy Roots to deal with the Vigoroth. I then use all of my Mud Shots my Super Potions, and my Energy Powders. I then spam Strength in a desperate attempt to win against Norman’s second Slaking. Miraculously, I win the battle and get the Balance Badge and TM 42 and end the part.

So below is my plan to finish the sixth part to get the sixth Gym Badge.

Part 6:

Heal at the Pokémon Center. Buy 4 X Attacks, 1 X Defend, and 4 Super Potions at the Mart. Get TM03 and teach Surf to Marshstomp over Water Gun. Equip Marshstomp with Persim berry. Get Rare candy at south lake and head east to Route 103 by taking Route 102 and passing through Oldale town.

Route 103:

Surf east, fighting any encounters. Dodge trainers, and head to Route 110.

Route 110:

Get rare candy. Head to Mauville City.

Mauville City:

Heal at Pokemon Center, and buy 1 Guard Spec. Head to Route 118 towards the Weather Institute.

Route 118 and Route 119:

Try to avoid any trainers on the Journey to the Weather Institute.

Weather Institute:

Go to the bed to heal up, then fight the female Team Aqua Grunt member. Use a Mud Shot against the Team Aqua Grunt’s Carvanha. Go up and fight the Aqua Grunt member, and use a Strength on Team Aqua Grunt's Poochyena, and a Mud Shot on Team Aqua Grunt's Carvanha. Then battle Aqua Admin Shelly. Use a single Mud Shot on Aqua Admin Shelly’s Carvanha. Use Surf twice on Aqua Admin Shelly’s Mightyena, and get the Castform Pokémon. Go to the bed again to heal up.

Route 119:

Go north and begin the third Brendan battle. Use 3 X Attacks and 2 X Speeds, and use Strength on Brendan’s Numel. Use Strength on Grovyle, and use Mud Shot on Wailmer. Get HM02 and teach Fly to Wingull. Head to Fortree City.

Fortree City:

Heal at the Pokémon Center, and buy at least 1 Revive and 2 Hyper Potions. Head to Route 120.

Routes 120 and 121:

Get Devon Scope, equip Mystic Water to Marshstomp, and return to Fortree City.

Fortree City:

Enter the gym, and battle Bird Keeper Jared. Use a Rock Tomb on Bird Keeper Jared’s Doduo. Battle Picnicker Kylee, and use a Rock Tomb and a Strength against Picnicker Swablu. Heal up and face Winona. Use X Attack, and Rock Tomb Winona’s Swellow. Use Strength twice on Winona’s Pelipper. Use Surf twice on Winona’s Skarmory, using a Hyper Potion in between. Use two Strengths on Winona’s Altaria. Get the Feather Badge.

My Marshstomp is currently at level 31, so this plan shouldn’t cause too much problems if I don’t suffer any critical hits or miss on any incorrect moments.

I’ll start the next part tomorrow and report back in a couple of days.

Last edited:

JourneymanN00b

Okay, so Joanna managed to get the sixth part with much less stress than the fifth part. Below is how it went.

Part 6 Report:

So I start off by healing at the Pokémon Center and buying 4 X Attacks, 1 X Defend, and 4 Super Potions at the Mart. I then get TM03 and teach Surf to Marshstomp over Water Gun. After equipping Marshstomp with a Persim Berry, I get the Rare Candy and an Ether at south lake and head east to Route 103 by taking Route 102. I accidentally run into Lass Tiana and use Strength to deal with Lass Tiana’s two Zigzagoons. I then pass through Oldale town and head to Route 103, where I encounter and defeat 2 Wingulls and run into Aroma Lady Daisy, where I use Strength to deal with her Roselia. I head to Route 110, encounter and defeat an Electrike, and get the Rare Candy. I run into and defeat a Tentacool, 3 Zigzagoons, a Gulpin, and make it to Mauville City. I pick up an X Speed there, buy 1 Guard Spec, and heal at the Pokémon Center, and buy 1 Guard Spec. I then head to Route 118.

I trigger the Steven Cutscene in Route 118, and encounter and defeat a Zigzagoon and a Kecleon I also pick up a Hyper Potion along the way. I am also forced to battle Ninja Boy Takashi since my Bike could not get up the mudslide. I use Surf to defeat Ninja Boy’s Takashi’s Nincada, and face his Ninjask. I had a rather scary moment with his Ninjask, since he used Double Team and Swords Dance and my first Rock Tomb missed. However, the second Rock Tomb was enough to take it out, and face Ninja Boy’s Takashi’s Koffing. After Stupidly using a Mud Shot to try to take it out, I take out Ninja Boy Takashi’s Koffing with Surf and make it to the Weather Institute.

I go to the bed to heal up and use the PC to deposit the Heart Scale, Dire Hit, Quick Claw, Repel, Burn Heal, and 2 Potions. I then fight the female Team Aqua Grunt member and use a Mud Shot against the Team Aqua Grunt’s Carvanha. I then go up and fight the Team Aqua Grunt member, where I use a Strength on Team Aqua Grunt’s Poochyena, and a Mud Shot on Team Aqua Grunt’s Carvanha, which takes two tries to hit. I then battle Aqua Admin Shelly. I use a single Mud Shot on Aqua Admin Shelly’s Carvanha, and then a single Surf on Aqua Admin Shelly’s Mightyena, which turned out to be a critical hit and enough to dispatch it. I get the Castform Pokémon and return to the bed to heal up.

I then head north and begin the third Brendan battle. I use 3 X Attacks and 2 X Speeds, where Numel takes my Marshstomp to 24 HP in the process. I then use Strength on Brendan’s Numel, Strength on Brendan’s Grovyle, and Mud Shot on Brendan’s Wailmer to win the battle. I get HM02 and teach Fly to Wingull. I then head to Fortree City, where I heal at the Pokémon Center, and buy at 2 Revives, 2 Hyper Potions. I head to Route 120, where I encounter and defeat an Oddish, use a Pecha Berry to cure the poison that Oddish dealt, get the hidden Revive, and talk to Steven. I get the Devon Scope and battle, defeat a Kecleon, and return to Fortree City.

I head back to Fortree City, heal at the Pokémon Center, use a Rare Candy on Marshstomp to evolve it to Swampert, and equip Mystic Water to Swampert. I then head inside the gym, and battle Bird Keeper Jared. I use a Strength on Bird Keeper Jared’s Doduo, and proceed to battle Picnicker Kylee. I use a Rock Tomb against Picnicker Kylee’s Swablu, and head to face Winona. I start off the battle by using X Special, and Surf Winona’s Swellow once, which was a critical hit and enough to take it out. I then use an X Attack, then surf once on Winona’s Pelipper. My Swampert ends up getting confused, which forces me to use a Persim Berry to clear it up. I use a second surf to take it out. I then use a single Surf on Winona’s Skarmory, which was enough to take it out. Use a Rock Tomb and then a Strength on Winona’s Altaria. I get the Feather Badge and TM40 and proceed to end the part with pride.

So below is my plan to finish the seventh part to get the seventh badge:

Part 7:

Heal at the Pokémon Center, and head to Route 120 to Mt. Pyre.

Routes 120 and 121:

Get the Rare Candy at the bottom edge of the lake below the sealed cave. Try to dodge any trainers, and fight any encounters your see. Head to Lilycove City.

Lilycove City:

Heal at the Pokémon Center, buy an X Special and X Attack, and continue on Route 121 to Mt. Pyre.

Routes 121 and 122:

Head to Mt. Pyre, avoiding any trainers and battling any encounters within reason.

Mt. Pyre:

Head west and outside to the peak of Mt. Pyre, and fight the first Team Aqua Grunt. Use Strength against the first Team Aqua Grunt’s first Zubat, Rock Tomb for the first Team Aqua Grunt’s second Zubat, and Strength against the first Team Aqua Grunt’s third Zubat. Fight the second Team Aqua Grunt. Use Mud Shot against the second Team Aqua Grunt’s Poochyena and Carvanha. Fight the third Team Aqua Grunt. Use a single Mud Shot against each of the third Team Aqua Grunt’s Carvanhas. Undertake the cutscene, and get the Rare Candy from the bottom patch of grass on the mountain’s northeast part. Use Rare Candies to evolve Marshstomp to Swampert, if it has not evolved yet. Then equip a Persim Berry to Swampert and fly back to Slateport City.

Slateport City:

Heal up at the Pokémon Center, then head to the shipyard to trigger the cutscenes. Then fly to Lilycove City.

Lilycove City:

Surf to the Team Aqua Hideout, and enter it. Get the Master Ball. Battle Aqua Admin Matt. Use one Mud Shot each on Aqua Admin Matt’s Carvanha and Sharpedo, and a Surf on Aqua Admin Matt’s Mightyena. Heal at the Pokémon Center and head to Route 124.

Route 124:

Take a direct route to Mossdeep City, facing any encounters within reason.

Mossdeep City:

Heal at the Pokémon Center, and buy 1 Revive, 5 Hyper Potions, and 1 Full Heal. Get HM08, and head to gym. Battle Psychic Samantha, and use Rock Tomb twice against Psychic Samantaha’s Xatu. Heal Swampert up, and teach it Dive over Rock Tomb, then face Tate and Liza. Use X Speed for Swampert’s first turn, then continue to use Surf, unless Solrock has charged for Solarbeam in his previous turn. Castform continues to use Rain Dance until it faints. Get the Mind Badge.

My Swampert is currently at level 37, so I have a decent chance of completing this part if I follow this plan. Tate and Liza are going to be a challenge though because of the possibility of Sunny Day ruining the plan. I will probably start tomorrow and will have a report in the next several days.

JourneymanN00b

Okay, so Joanna managed to get the seventh part done after some rather annoying moments at the Tate and Liza fight. Below is how it went.

Part 7 Report:

I heal at the Pokémon Center, and head to Route 120 to Mt. Pyre. Along the way, I miss the timing and fight Bug Maniac Brandon. I use Rock Tomb to take out each of Bug Maniac Brandon’s Surskits, and continue down Route 120. I also encounter and defeat an Oddish, who paralyzes my Swampert and forces me to use a Cheri Berry to cure it, and get a Hyper Potion, 3 Razz Berries, 3 Nanab Berries, 3 Pinap Berries, 3 Wepear Berries, a Full Heal, and the hidden Rare Candy. I then cross to Route 121, where I encounter and defeat 2 Linoones and a Wingull and head to Lilycove City, where I heal at the Pokémon Center, and DON’T buy anything, since I did not want to face Brendan, and continue on Route 121 to Mt. Pyre. On my way there, I encounter and defeat a Shuppet, a Wingull, and a Tentacool.

At Mt. Pyre, I encounter and defeat 2 Shuppets and head west and outside to the peak of Mt. Pyre. Along the way, I encounter and defeat a Meditite, get a Max Potion and fight the first Team Aqua Grunt. I use Strength against the first Team Aqua Grunt’s first Zubat, Rock Tomb for the first Team Aqua Grunt’s second Zubat, and Strength against the first Team Aqua Grunt’s third Zubat. I then fight the second Team Aqua Grunt and use a Mud Shot each against the second Team Aqua Grunt’s Poochyena and Carvanha, forgoing learning Muddy Water in the process. I then fight the third Team Aqua Grunt and use a single Mud Shot against each of the third Team Aqua Grunt’s Carvanhas. I then undertake the cutscene, and get the Blue Orb and hidden Rare Candy. I then fly back to Slateport City and head to the shipyard to trigger the cutscenes. Then I fly to Lilycove City and surf to the Team Aqua Hideout, and enter it.

At the Team Aqua Hideout, I get a Max Elixir, a Nugget, and the Master Ball. I then battle Aqua Admin Matt, and use one Mud Shot each on Aqua Admin Matt’s Carvanha and Sharpedo, and a Surf on Aqua Admin Matt’s Mightyena. I then head to Route 124 and take a direct route to Mossdeep City, facing any encounters within reason. I then buy 1 Revive, 1 X Attack, 4 Hyper Potions, and 1 Full Heal. I then get HM08 from Steven, and head to the gym. I battle Psychic Samantahs, and use Rock Tomb twice against Psychic Samantaha’s Xatu. I then Teach Swampert Dive over Rock Tomb, put my Wingull in Slot 2, and face Tate and Liza. I start off by using X Speed on Swampert and using an Energy Root to heal it up. Lunatone ends up taking out my Wingull, which prompts me to send out my Castform. Solrock took in sunlight, which prompts me to use Rain Dance and Rain Dance. I then use the second turn to have Swampert use Dive, and Castform use Powder Snow. Solrock’s Solarbeam misses, while the Lunatone manages to defeat Castform in one shot. I send out Poochyena and use a Revive on Castform. Solrock manages to get a critical Hit Psychic on Swampert, while the Lunatone’s Hypnosis fails. In the next turn I Swampert use Surf and heal Swampert up using a Hyper Potion. These actions cause Solrock to go down, but a Lunatone’s critical hit Psychic causes my Swampert to go down in one go. Frustrated to no end, I bring in Slugma and spend the next turn using a Revive and another Hyper Potion on Swampert. Lunatone uses a Light Screen I then switch in Castform and Swampert back in. Lunatone attempts to use Hypnosis, but fails. I then attempt to use Surf with Swampert and Rain Dance with Castform. Lunatone gets a critical hit on Castform, which goes down, and I bring back Poochyena as a placeholder. I then use a Surf on Lunatone, while I have Poochena use Rock Smash purely as a damaging move. Well, as luck would have it, Tate and Liza use a Hyper Potion on Lunatone, but Swampert’s Surf ends up being critical, which was enough to defeat it in one shot at full health. I get the Mind Badge and TM04 and end the part with a sigh of relief.

So below is my plan to finish the eighth part to get the eighth and final badge:

Part 8:

Heal at the Pokémon Center, equip a Persim Berry on Swampert, buy 2 Revives and head south to Route 127.

Route 127 and 128:

Fight any encounters within reason, and dive to the Seafloor Cavern entrance.

Seafloor Cavern:

Fight Aqua Admin Shelly. Use 2 Mud Shots against Aqua Admin Shelly’s Sharpedo. Use 2 Surfs against Aqua Admin Shelly’s Mightyena. Fight Aqua Leader Archie with Wingull at the front. Use Guard Spec, and switch to Swampert when Wingull faints. Use 2 Surf on Archie’s Mightyena, 3 Surfs on Archie’s Crobat, and 2 Mud Shots on Archie’s Sharpedo. Exit the cave and head to Route 127.

Route 127, Route 126, Sootopolis City:

Head to Sootopolis City after battling any encounters, heal at the Pokémon Center, and head to the Cave of Origin. Get HM07, and catch Kyogre using the Master Ball. Give Kyogre the Rare Candies, equip it with a Persim, and teach Kyogre Shock Wave over Body Slam. Switch Kyogre to slot 1 and use an Escape Rope. Enter gym and fight Wallace. Use Calm Mind and then Shock Wave on Wallace’s Luvdisc, Hydro Pump on Wallace’s Wishcash, Shock Wave on Wallace’s Sealeo, Hydro Pump on Seaking, and Shock Wave twice on Miltoic. Get the Rain Badge.

My Swampert is at level 40, and I feel confident that this strategy will work. I will start the next part later tonight and have a report by tomorrow.

Last edited:

JourneymanN00b

Okay, so Joanna finished the eighth part without any problems. Below is how it went.

Part 8 Report:

I heal at the Pokémon Center, equip a Persim Berry on Swampert, buy 2 Revives and head south to Route 127. On the way to the Seafloor Cavern, I encounter and defeat 2 Wingulls and 2 Tentacools and head to Route 128, where I encounter and defeat a Tentacool and a Wingull and dive to the Seafloor Cavern entrance. At the Seafloor Cavern, I encounter and defeat a Zubat and fail to dodge a Team Aqua Grunt. I use a Surf to deal with Team Aqua Grunt’s Poochyena and a Mud Shot to deal with Team Aqua Grunt’s Carvanha. I continue down Seafloor Cavern and encounter and defeat a Zubat, a Golbat, a Tentacool, and consume a Persim Berry along the way and face Aqua Admin Shelly. I use 2 Mud Shots against Aqua Admin Shelly’s Sharpedo, and use 2 Surfs against Aqua Admin Shelly’s Mightyena. After equipping another Persim Berry on Swampert,I then continue down Seafloor Cavern where I encounter and defeat a Zubat and get TM26. I then use a Super Potion and an Oran Berry to heal Swampert up, and face Archie. I put Wingull at the front, and use Guard Spec, and switch to Swampert when Wingull faints. I then use 2 Surfs and 1 Strength on Archie’s Mightyena, 3 Surfs on Archie’s Crobat, and a Mud Shot on Archie’s Sharpedo, whose Swagger forces the consumption of another Persim Berry. I then exit the cave and head to Route 127, where I begin using a Super Repel on my journey to Sootopolis City.

I then head to the Cave of Origin. Once there, I teach Castform Flash over Sunny Day, and use it to explore the Cave of Origin. I encounter and defeat a Sableye, use another Super Repel, get HM07, and catch Kyogre using the Master Ball. I use my 3 Rare Candies on Kyogre, equip it with a Persim Berry, and teach Kyogre Shock Wave over Body Slam. I then switch Kyogre to slot 1 and use an Escape Rope. I then get a Nomel Berry and Figy Berry at Sootopolis City, heal up at the Pokémon Center, and enter the gym and fight Wallace.

I start off by using Calm Mind and then Shock Wave on Wallace’s Luvdisc. Doing that required the consumption of the Persim Berry held by Kyogre, due to Luvdisc’s Sweet Kiss. I then use Hydro Pump on Wallace’s Whiscash, Shock Wave on Wallace’s Sealeo, Hydro Pump on Seaking, and Shock Wave twice on Miltoic. I get the Rain Badge and TM03.

So below is my plan to finish the ninth and final part to defeat the Elite Four:

Part 9:

Teach Kyogre Waterfall over Calm Mind. Equip Mystic Water to Kyogre, heal at Pokémon Center, then fly to Mossdeep City.

Mossdeep City, Route 127, Route 128, and Ever Grande City:

Use another Super Repel, and surf down to Route 127. Continue to route 128 and head to Ever Grande City, and enter Victory Road.

Victory Road:

Go to Victory Road, and Fight Cooltrainer Hope. Use Ice Beam on Cooltrainer Hope’s Roselia. Fight Cooltrainer Shannon, and use Hydro Pump on Cooltrainer Shannon’s Claydol. Battle Cooltrainer Julie, and use a Waterfall each on Cooltrainer Julie’s Sandslash and Ninetales. Fight Cooltrainer Edgar, and use Hydro Pump on Cooltrainer Edgar’s Cacturne. Face Wally. Use Ice Beam on Wally’s Altaria and Roselia, Hydro Pump on Magneton, Delcatty, and Gardevoir. Exit victory Road and re-enter Ever Grande City.

Ever Grande City:

Heal up in the Pokémon League Lobby, and buy 2 Full Restores. Begin the challenge and face the Elite Four. Face Sidney and use Hydro Pump on Sidney’s Mightyena, Ice Beam on Sidney’s Cacturne, Shock Wave on Sidney’s Sharpedo, Waterfall on Sidney’s Absol, and Ice Beam on Sidney’s Shiftry. Battle Phoebe and use a Hydro Pump apiece on Phoebe’s first Dusclops and Banette. Use Waterfall on Phoebe’s Sableye and Benette. Use a Shock Wave and a Hydro Pump on Phoebe’s Second Dusclops. Battle Glacia and use Hydro Pump on Glacia’s Glalie. For each of Glacia’s Sealeos, use an X Special and use Shock Wave. Use Waterfall on Glacia’s Glalie. Use Shock Wave on Glacia’s Walrein. Teach Kyogre Surf over Hydro Pump. Battle Drake and use Ice Beam on Drake’s Shelgon. Then use 1 X Speed, and use an Ice Beam each on Drake’s Altaria, two Flygons, and Salamence. Heal up, and face Champion Steven. Use an X Special then use one Surf each on Steven’s Skarmory, Aggron, Cradily, Claydol, Metagross, and Armaldo. Enjoy the credits.

I will begin the final part today, and will post a report later tonight.

Last edited:

JourneymanN00b

Okay, so Joanna finished the ninth part without any problems and has successfully completed the Lithium Rogue Challenge. Below is how it went.

Part 9 Report:

I begin by teaching Kyogre Waterfall over Calm Mind, equipping Mystic Water to Kyogre, and healing at the Pokémon Center. I then fly to Mossdeep City and head to Route 127, where I use another Super Repel and head to Route 128. Once there, I use another Super Repel and head to Ever Grande City. From there, I enter Victory Road.

At Victory Road, I fight Cooltrainer Hope, and use Ice Beam on Cooltrainer Hope’s Roselia. I then fight Cooltrainer Shannon, and use Hydro Pump on Cooltrainer Shannon’s Claydol. I then use another Super Repel, and face Cooltrainer Julie. I use a Waterfall each on Cooltrainer Julie’s Sandslash and Ninetales. I then fight Cooltrainer Edgar, and use Hydro Pump on Cooltrainer Edgar’s Cacturne. I then face Wally and use Ice Beam on Wally’s Altaria, Hydro Pump on Wally’s Magneton, Ice Beam on Wally’s Roselia, and attempt to use Hydro Pump on Wally’s Delcatty, but missed. Wally’s Delcatty’s Sing causes Kyogre to sleep, which forces me to use Heal Powder. I use a second Hydro Pump to take out the Delcatty and use Ice Beam and Waterfall on Gardevoir. I forego learning Rest in the process. I exit Victory Road and re-enter Ever Grande City, where I heal up in the Pokémon League Lobby, and buy 4 Full Restores. I then begin the challenge and face the Elite Four.

I face Sidney and use Hydro Pump on Sidney’s Mightyena, Ice Beam on Sidney’s Cacturne, Shock Wave on Sidney’s Sharpedo, Waterfall on Sidney’s Absol, and Ice Beam on Sidney’s Shiftry. I then battle Phoebe and use a Hydro Pump apiece on Phoebe’s first Dusclops and Banette. I then use Waterfall on Phoebe’s Sableye and Benette. Finally, I use a Shock Wave and a Hydro Pump on Phoebe’s Second Dusclops. I then heal up Kyogre using a Super Potion and teach it Surf over Hydro Pump, and battle Glacia. I use Surf on Glacia’s Glalie, and proceed to use an X Specials , 3 Shock Waves on Glacia’s first Sealeo. I then use another X Special and a Shock wave to defeat Glacia’s second Sealeo. I use Waterfall on Glacia’s Glalie, and use 2 Shock Waves on Glacia’s Walrein. I use a Hyper Potion to heal Kyogre, and battle Drake. I use Ice Beam on Drake’s Shelgon. After that, I use 1 X Speed, and use an Ice Beam each on Drake’s Altaria, two Flygons, and Salamence. I then proceed to face Champion Steven. After using an X Special, I use one Surf each on Steven’s Skarmory, Aggron, Cradily, Claydol, Metagross, and Armaldo. I then enjoy the credits.

So it took a grand total of 5 hours and 56 minutes and 6 attempts for the Lithium Rogue Challenge to be completed in Generation III. Not that it means much, but I posted a picture as proof of my clear time. I will be doing the Lithium Rogue’s challenge on Generation IV next, as soon as I can get hold of Diamond or Pearl.

The below link shows the said picture mentioned in the above paragraph.
https://imgur.com/a/U9Ye64U

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Well this thread is kind-of inactive, let's spark some life into it! I have finally (FINALLY) started playing Sapphire, a game I bought in the UK's first lockdown way back in March. Now in the second lockdown I have begun playing it, such is the way of the world. It also marks my start into Gen III after my success in Red and Crystal. For the record, Sapphire was the first game I ever played but I have never completed a Hoenn game. This playthrough will change that!

I started as per usual, did tutorial bits, saved Prof. Birch with the Mudkip he so kindly gave to me. Nicknamed it Poseidon, beat up May (Tackle KOed it quicker than I expected) and obtained Poke Balls. Plus Running Shoes, a luxury I have heavily missed from playing the original generations. I caught 4 Zigzagoon for Pickup shenanigans before finally nabbing myself a (male, but Modest) Ralts who I nicknamed Athena. I switch-trained Ralts to level 6 for Confusion and it began terrorising everyone who didn't use Poochyena for me which was nice before making it to Petalburg. Wally needed help getting his own Psychic type killing machine so I obliged before heading to Petalburg Woods for a Shroomish, my third team member! I nicknamed them Ares and beat up the Aqua Grunt before clearing the routes around Rustboro and ending up a lil under-levelled for Roxanne. She was not a challenge though since Mudkip 2HKOed Geodude with Water Gun and Shroomish Leech Seed + Bullet Seed spammed Nosepass to death (who became paralysed via Effect Spore).

I rescued the hapless Devon employee from Team Aqua once more (plus Peeko), received a PokeNav and some new instructions to head to Dewford Town which I went ahead and did. Took on the fishermen around the town, got the HM for Flash and saved. Simple stuff! I've missed Running Shoes so much, and bags being split up more is awesome. Pickup is definitely broken in these games since I already have 2 Revives and 3 Rare Candies! So that's sticking around for as long as possible. I am woefully under-levelled though, which isn't great.

Sapphire Team:
o_hs_258_1.png
Poseidon the Mudkip, Level 14
Tackle, Rock Tomb, Mud Slap, Water Gun
o_hs_280_1.png
Athena the Ralts, Level 13
Growl, Confusion, Double Team, Flash
o_hs_285_1.png
Ares the Shroomish, Level 14
Leech Seed, Tackle, Stun Spore, Bullet Seed

EDIT: I have beaten Brawly and Wattson and am currently clearing the trainers in Flannery's gym! I ended up stumbling my way through Granite Cave to reach Steven Stone and levelling up my squad versus the Aron and Sableye I encountered, evolving Mudkip into Marshtomp in the process. I gave Steven the letter, got the TM for Steel Wing which I sold, went back to Rustboro for the Exp. Share and then took on Brawley! Ralts 2HKOed Machop with Confusion but was brought to the orange by Karate Chop (might've been at +1 Attack but I don't remember). I brought out Shroomish against Makuhita and once again Effect Spore paralysis + Leech Seed + Mega Drain won me the match!

I headed to Slateport but skipped the trainers I could so I could use them to train my fourth team member up... Electrike! I caught one, named them Zeus and slapped the Exp. Share on them because my god is training the electric doggo without STAB a pain! I beat the trainers, gave the goods to the dude and cleared Team Aqua out of town before making my way up through the routes for more training. I did the Trick House for another Rare Candy (as of typing this I have 7) and took on the dreaded May, which was when I realised I had nothing for Grovyle. Shroomish took down Wailmer with Mega Drain, Ralts did a small chunk to Grovyle with Confusion before being KOed by Pursuit so Shroomish Tackle'd it to death, and Marshtomp took down Numel with Water Gun. First proper challenge I've had! I did more training on the routes around Mauville, beat Wally, evolved Ralts into Kirlia and Electrike finally became usable with the addition of Spark, and then I took on Wattson.

Marshtomp beat Magnemite with Mud Shot after missing and getting smacked by Sonicboom, but Confusion hax led to its defeat vs. Magneton. I sacrificed a Zigzagoon to bring it back and claim victory, whilst Shroomish tanked a Selfdestruct from Voltorb to win! Did more routes, evolved Shroomish into Breloom, reached Fallarbor Town, hunted down Team Aqua at Mt. Chimney and destroyed Archie with Breloom and Electrike. I also did the Rock Smash thingie at the Whismur tunnel place to get Strength, which was nice. Whilst in the area I bought enough coins at the Game Corner for Thunderbolt to teach Electrike which was nice, and it evolved after defeating a Kecleon at the Laveridge Town gym! I then saved.

Sapphire Team:
o_hs_259_1.png
Poseidon the Marshtomp, Level 25
Secret Power, Rock Tomb, Mud Shot, Water Gun
o_hs_281_1.png
Athena the Kirlia, Level 26
Psychic, Shock Wave, Calm Mind, Flash
o_hs_286_1.png
Ares the Breloom, Level 26
Leech Seed, Headbutt, Mach Punch, Mega Drain
o_hs_310_1.png
Zeus the Manectric, Level 26
Thunderbolt, Spark, Thief, Thunder Wave

Last edited:

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
A small update, but I beat Flannery with some difficulty and then went on to beat Norman with a little more difficulty! Flannery's Slugma was a sitting duck against Kirlia once she'd used Overheat, letting me set up to +2 with Calm Mind and 0HKOing both of her molten slugs with Psychic. Torkoal lived the hit and KOed back with Body Slam, wasn't great. So I went with Marshtomp who did not do enough damage to it and was also KOed. Breloom got a Leech Seed off but was roasted by Overheat so Manectric cleaned up with Thunderbolt.

Between Flannery and Norman I returned the Meteorite to the dude at Fallarbor Town, who gave me the Return TM - this I taught to Breloom because I figured nobody else on my team really cared about it. I went to the desert route and caught my fifth team member soon after, a Trapinch I named Hermes! Slapped the Exp. Share on them and went to town in the desert (does it lower accuracy or something because everything missed on repeat) and then in Norman's gym! Norman himself was a nightmare, as Slaking as an ungodly set of stats and it was tough to break both of them (plus I'm painfully under-levelled). Manectric managed to KO the first one with Thunderbolt spam without taking damage, whilst I used Breloom to KO the Vigoroth with Mach Punch and Return. Neither move seemed to hit particularly hard unfortunately and Breloom was broken by Slaking after landing a Leech Seed. Everyone else tried weakening the bastard and I won by spamming Spark with Manectric. Now I write it down Manectric has really been picking up the slack for me, huh. Anywho I got the Amulet Coin from my mother since I want a Game Corner TM for my sixth team member (spoiler alert: it's Absol) who I also learnt cannot be caught as early as I expected. Such is life I suppose!

So far the team is solid, not as good as my Red squad and not as fun as my Crystal squad, but they're reliable. Marshtomp is doing as well as Vaporeon and Feraligatr did in their games, Kirlia isn't quite as OP as Alakazam was, Breloom is pretty good at clearing routes and Leech Seed has been a massive help for the gyms and Manectric is doing amazing now it has good STAB. Can't comment on Trapinch yet but I adore Flygon so who cares? I expect Kirlia and Marshtomp to pick up upon evolution, Breloom and Manectric to remain good and who knows for Trapinch. Current plan is to clear the water routes around Dewford/Petalburg/Slateport before making my way to Fortree City and nabbing myself an Absol.

Sapphire Team:
o_hs_259_1.png
Poseidon the Marshtomp, Level 28
Secret Power, Rock Tomb, Mud Shot, Surf
o_hs_281_1.png
Athena the Kirlia, Level 28
Psychic, Thunderbolt, Calm Mind, Flash
o_hs_286_1.png
Ares the Breloom, Level 28
Leech Seed, Return, Mach Punch, Mega Drain
o_hs_310_1.png
Zeus the Manectric, Level 29
o_hs_328_1.png
Hermes the Trapinch, Level 28
Dig, Bite, Faint Attack, Sand Attack

zolios

After finishing my Leaf Green playthrough back in February and playing through a couple of newer Pokemon games since then, I recently decided to go back to Kanto and play through Leaf Green again (FR/LG are actually my favorite remakes and I love playing these games). I decided to use Charizard in this playthrough of Leaf Green since I used my favorite starter Venusaur in that last playthrough I mentioned earlier and the last and only time I used a Charizard was back in 2014 in my Fire Red playthrough so I wanted to use one again. I also wanted to use another Pokemon that I didn't use since 2014 and that Pokemon was Primeape so I caught a Mankey on the route next to Viridian City. A day before I actually started this playthrough I pulled a Butterfree V card from Darkness Ablaze pack and I decided to celebrate by using a Butterfree on my Leaf Green team so I caught a Caterpie as soon as I reached Viridian Forest.

Mankey and Butterfree won me my first two Gym Badges without any major issues and then I caught the fourth Pokemon for my team, it was a Meowth that I found south of Cerulean City. I never actually used a Persian before and I really wanted to finally use one so this was the perfect opportunity to do just that. I continued my journey with these four Pokemon and won my third Badge from Lt. Surge. As I was going through the Rock Tunnel a wild Onix attacked so I decided to catch it. I love the Onix line (Steelix is one of my top 10 favorite Pokemon) but whenever I used an Onix I would evolve it into a Steelix as soon as possible so I saw this as an opportunity to finally use just Onix for the entire playthrough since you can't evolve it into a Steelix in FR/LG (before you finish the main story at least).

I beat Erika soon after and got my fourth Badge and I also obtained Surf in the Safari Zone so I could finally catch the final member of my team. The final Pokemon I wanted to catch was Slowpoke since I wanted to use a Slowbro for the longest time but never did until now. I caught a Slowpoke, added it to the team and won two more Badges from Koga and Sabrina. Everyone on the team also reached their final form so the team is looking amazing right now as we are surfing towards the Cinnabar Island in hopes of winning our seventh Gym Badge.

My Leaf Green Team:

spr_frlg_006.png
Roku the Charizard (M, Lv. 42): Flamethrower, Fly, Metal Claw and Smoke Screen
spr_frlg_057.png
Angel Dust the Primeape (F, Lv. 41): Brick Break, Mega Punch, Low Kick and Focus Energy
spr_frlg_012.png
Suki the Butterfree (F, Lv. 40): Psybeam, Gust, Sleep Powder and Poison Powder
spr_frlg_053.png
T'Challa the Persian (M, Lv. 41): Pay Day, Bite, Shock Wave and Faint Attack
spr_frlg_095.png
Gorgon the Onix (F, Lv. 41): Dig, Rock Throw, Strength and Screech
spr_frlg_080.png
Kuiil the Slowbro (M, Lv. 40): Surf, Confusion, Headbutt and Amnesia

Last edited:

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
So since my last post I took to the seas around Slateport and Dewford to pick up some items and gain some additional levels on my team. My efforts nabbed me the Ice Beam TM for Marshtomp, the Sludge Bomb TM for Breloom and an evolution from Kirlia to Gardevoir! With these new boons I headed towards Fortree City, taking down May and clearing Team Aqua out of the Weather Institute on the way.

I passed through the area to Route 120 and caught Hades the Absol, my final team member! I slapped the Exp. Share on him, got the Devon Scope from Steven to see Kecleon and went ahead to the gym! Gardevoir swept Winona except for Altaria, who was one-shot by Marshtomp's Ice Beam. Easiest gym so far! I proceeded towards Lilycove, making sure to battle any trainer I could for that juicy experience (since my team was a smidge under-levelled with two experience hogs in Gardevoir and Manectric!). Luckily nobody has posed a proper challenge so far, not even May in her random battle outside the Lilycove Department Store.

I headed to Mt. Pyre, cleared Team Aqua out of there and grabbed the TM for Shadow Ball, which I used on Absol. I headed down to a different route and received the TM for Giga Drain and evolved Trapinch into Vibrava! I've barely used this thing so far because Trapinch was so incredibly frail, hopefully the new Dragon typing helps with the usage! I taught Vibrava Fly and headed to Slateport for some story shenanigans, then headed to Mauville to spend my hard-earned cash on coins to grab another Ice Beam TM plus a Flamethrower TM for Absol! I then saved.

My current squad thoughts remain the same, every team member has been solid and reliable but not compared to my Red squad, but far better than my Crystal squad. Marshtomp really wants to evolve soon because it's lagging a little, Gardevoir and Manectric are super reliable but massive experience hogs, Breloom wants a better Fighting STAB and Return just misses out on 0HKOes, Vibrava has seen little use due to a common Grass weakness and terrible moves and Absol has been solid from the moment I caught it, although it's a little bit frailer than I'd like. They're cool though, I'm very happy with them!

EDIT: I've beaten Tate & Liza and oh my god I'm under-levelled! I even took on all the trainers on the routes between Mossdeep and Pacifidlog and evolved Marshtomp into Swampert in the process. Finally got some use out of Vibrava who still feels a bit weak but it's usable, and Absol has become an absolute powerhouse. We took on the Aqua Hideout with no issues and grabbed the Master Ball (useful for Latias in the post-game) and surfed to Mossdeep, got Dive, explored some of Shoal Cave and the routes leading to Pacifidlog Town which was funky. Went back, Tate & Liza were no match for Swampert and Absol (and Vibrava tanked a Solarbeam for me). Simple stuff! Funnily enough this is the furthest I've ever gotten in a Hoenn game and I have no clue where to head next! Will look that up I think.

Sapphire Team:
o_hs_260_1.png
Poseidon the Swampert, Level 37
Dive, Ice Beam, Mud Shot, Surf
o_hs_282_1.png
Athena the Gardevoir, Level 38
o_hs_286_1.png
Ares the Breloom, Level 37
Leech Seed, Return, Mach Punch, Sludge Bomb
o_hs_310_1.png
Zeus the Manectric, Level 38
o_hs_329_1.png
Hermes the Vibrava, Level 37
Dig, Crunch, Fly, Dragonbreath
o_hs_359_1.png
Hades the Absol, Level 37
Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, Strength, Flamethrower

Last edited:

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Well since my last post I have completed the main story! Turns out there wasn't much left to do, was aided massively in figuring everything out by Lueroi and his Sapphire walkthrough. I found the Aqua submarine, beat up Archie, watched Kyogre get unleashed upon the world and immediately headed to Sootopolis City to go catch it (which I did after about 15mins). I beat up Wallace with Manectric and Swampert, took on Victory Road and grinded my squad to around level 43 so my Rare Candies could push them to 45, evolving Vibrava into Flygon! I headed back to Meteor Falls and nabbed the TM for Dragon Claw for it, and took on the Elite 4!

Against Sidney, Breloom pulled its punches and beat Mightyena, Shiftry and Cacturne quite handily with Brick Break whilst Swampert and Manectric also claimed victories against Absol and Sharpedo. Phoebe was annoying thanks to Attract on Sableye and Confuse Ray on Dusclops, but a combination of Absol, Flygon and Swampert made it an easy win! Glacia hit hard and none of my team could really do much to her, but Swampert, Manectric and Breloom came out on top. Drake saw Gardevoir's first appearance against the Elite 4 where it beat down both Flygon, whilst my own was similarly helpful against its fellow Dragon types! Swampert and Absol also made appearances to win against the tougher foes.

Steven was a tough challenge, one that I had to reset a few times for to figure out a strategy. Manectric used Spark over Thunderbolt to avoid Full Restores and was sacrificed against Metagross to slow it down with Thunder Wave, and everyone else essentially weakened threats for Swampert to take out. Flygon, Absol and Gardevoir were all unable to take down their targets (Metagross, Claydol and Armaldo) although Breloom was able to beat down Cradily without major issue. A few Surf attacks later and I was Champion of Hoenn! Marking the first time I have ever beaten a Gen III game or a Hoenn game, despite Sapphire being the first game I ever played. All that's left to do now is capture the Regi's, Latias and Rayquaza and I can move onto LeafGreen! Funky times.

How was the team? Pretty good! Not OP like Red, not whacky like Crystal, but very solid and featured a lot of my favourites from the region. My feelings on Swampert changed by the Elite 4, where beforehand it felt like Nidoking did in Red - very good, but not outstanding - to feeling more like Alakazam except more reliable and less powerful? It KOed whatever I needed it to even if it took a bit longer than desired, but it tanked hits just as well. Gardevoir was a bit underwhelming by the end even if Psychic hit super hard - it just didn't quite do enough. Breloom and Absol felt similar in that they hit really hard but were both quite frail and prone to being taken down if they didn't KO you first (and no Grass STAB on Breloom kinda sucked, but Leech Seed was great). Flygon I feel like I barely used it, and it flipped between being pretty underwhelming and just good enough to do what I wanted. Overall, a solid squad!

Sapphire Team:
spr_rs_260.png
spr_rs_282.png
spr_rs_286.png
spr_rs_310.png
spr_rs_330.png
spr_rs_359.png

o_hs_260_1.png
Poseidon the Swampert, Level 47
Waterfall, Ice Beam, Earthquake, Surf
o_hs_282_1.png
Athena the Gardevoir, Level 45
o_hs_286_1.png
Ares the Breloom, Level 46
Leech Seed, Return, Brick Break, Sludge Bomb
o_hs_310_1.png
Zeus the Manectric, Level 46
Thunderbolt, Spark, Bite, Thunder Wave
o_hs_330_1.png
Hermes the Flygon, Level 46
Dig, Crunch, Fly, Dragon Claw
o_hs_359_1.png
Hades the Absol, Level 46
Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, Strength, Flamethrower

Last edited:

zolios

So I finished the game a couple of days ago so I'll just quickly recap everything that happened.
I won the last two Gym badges without any major issues since I had a Slowbro on my team and, as you all know, the last two Kanto Gyms are Fire and Ground type specialist Gyms. Slowbro carried the team in both Gym battles with Onix helping a little in both and Primeape also helping in the last one. Slowbro feels a little unfair to use after it learns Surf and Psychic in these games, it makes everything a bit to easy even for Pokemon standards.

Before going through the Victory Road I had to fight my Rival one more time and since I was under-leveled (and my team lacking a "real" water type counter) his Blastoise was a pain to take down but I did it in the end after he knocked out a couple of my Pokemon first. After this battle everything else in the Victory Road felt easy in comparison so I got to the Pokemon League quickly. Since I now knew that my team is struggling to beat strong water types like Blastoise I decided to update some of my Pokemon's moves before challenging the Elite 4. I gave Persian Thunder TM and Butterfree got the Solar Beam TM since it knew Sleep Powder so I figured that 2 turn moves aren't that bad of a choice when your opponents are sleeping during those "wasted" turns.

I challenged the Elite 4 and beat the first three E4 members relatively easily but Lance was a little challenging. He also got a little bit lucky with the RNG in our first battle so I lost and had to restart but I beat him on my second try. There was only one battle left now and it was against my rival and new champion Blue. As expected the biggest issue for me was his starter but I managed to beat his Blastoise with the help of Persian, Butterfree and Slowbro so I became the newest Kanto champion once again.

9Hbe7B2.jpg

The Team:

Charizard Lv. 52
Moves: Flamethrower, Dragon Claw, Slash and Fly
Charizard was great in this playthrough and it helped a lot against many strong opponents including even the Elite 4 Lance thanks to being able to learn Dragon Claw.

Primeape Lv. 50
Moves: Brick Break, Strength, Low Kick and Bulk Up
Primeape went from being super useful to a little bit underwhelming as I progressed through the game since she doesn't learn a lot of useful moves but she was still great against opponents that were weak against Fighting types and even in the Elite 4 she helped me beat Lorelei's Ice types.

Butterfree Lv. 49
Moves: Psychic, Solar Beam, Aerial Ace and Sleep Powder
Butterfree wasn't super useful after the first half of the game but I still wanted to keep her around and even if she wasn't the strongest she still helped a lot with her psychic attacks and even Sleep Powder.

Persian Lv. 49
Moves: Slash, Thunder, Bite and Shock Wave
Persian was good but not as strong as I hoped it to be. Still there were a lot of battles where a flinch or two from Persian's Bite helped us win a lot easier than I expected. It was also good that Persian learns many TMs so he was helpful when I had to deal with Water types since he knew electric moves.

Onix Lv. 49
Moves: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Double-Edge and Screech
I knew that Onix has a very bad attack stat so I got to use Screech effectively for the first time ever and it worked out great since Onix has good defense and can take many hits. After a Screech or two Onix was able to easily win many battles even with his low attack stat. I really enjoyed using Onix in this playthrough.

Slowbro Lv. 50
Moves: Surf, Psychic, Blizzard and Calm Mind
As I already said, Slowbro is to powerful once it gets his best moves and it was super fun to finally use this Pokemon. It helped a lot in the last part of the game since it is so bulky and also hits super hard.​

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Back at it again playing LeafGreen after finally planning a team I like! Not much to report really since I only just beat Brock, but that's cool. I did the intro stuff and chose Charmander as my starter after folks on Instagram voted for me to use it over Squirtle, who I named Iroh because the Avatar: The Last AIrbender names are back! I've actually just finished the show now too, it was awesome. Charmander beat Blue's Squirtle and I did the delivery bits in Viridian to gain the Pokedex, which was when my journey properly started!

Needless to say, I did a lot of catching bits for Pokedex completion since it's actually important in these games to get HM Flash, the Exp. Share and the Amulet Coin - Pidgey, Rattata, Spearow, Mankey, Caterpie, Metapod, Weedle, Kakuna and Pikachu all joined my ranks to push me towards my goal! Only Pikachu stayed as my second team member though, and I named her Momo. I trained Pikachu up on Route 1 until she hit level 7, before proceeding to 0HKO Blue's Pidgey and 3HKO his Squirtle on Route 22. I cleared out Viridian Forest (without being poisoned too, a miracle!) and went straight to the Pewter Gym to face Brock.

Brock was scary match-up since Charmander is my best Pokemon for the job and it's weak to Rock Tomb, but it went okay. It beat Geodude with a few Metal Claws, used Growl once on Onix before being put in the red with Rock Tomb. I sacrificed Rattata to swap it out and Mankey to heal and get a Leer off, before Pikachu paralysed with Static and lowered its Defense to -6 with Tail Whip. Once Pikachu went down Charmander 2HKOed with Metal Claw, tanking the next Rock Tomb. And I won! I then took on a couple of trainers on Route 3 and saved.

LeafGreen Team:
o_hs_004_1.png
Iroh the Charmander, Level 14
Scratch, Growl, Ember, Metal Claw
o_hs_025_f-1.png
Momo the Pikachu, Level 11
ThunderShock, Quick Attack, Tail Whip, Thunder Wave

EDIT: I have been playing quite a bit since last night and have just obtained my third gym badge! Mt. Moon was a breeze and I added a bunch of new Pokemon to my collection (for Pokedex purposes), including a Clefairy I added to my team as my third squad member! I named him Yue (I have a female Momo and a male Yue, funky times) and trained it up against the nearby trainers, where Pound spam wasn't too outstanding. A nearby Moon Stone let me evolve Clefairy into a Clefable and suddenly training was much easier! I cleared out Team Rocket, Charmander evolved into Charmeleon, I claimed the Dome Fossil for myself and headed over to the other side of Route 4 for my fourth squad member - a Sandshrew! Sandslash is one of my favourite Pokemon so I just knew I had to use one in LeafGreen - I named her Toph and training her was a challenge due to a lack of good moves.

Blue was taken down quickly by a combination of Pikachu, Clefable and Sandshrew (Pikachu is really frail I've realised), I cleared Nugget Bridge and beyond where my answer to the rock climbers was... Charmeleon? Not great really! Misty was taken down quickly by Pikachu + Clefable who ThunderShock'd and Mega Kick'd their way to a smooth victory. I ran down to Vermillion, did all the boring trainer bits on the nearby routes, traded a spare Spearow I'd caught for Farfetch'd and took on the S.S. Anne! Blue again fell to my squad, where my newly evolved Sandslash put in a lot of work! I got the HM for Cut, taught it to Farfetch'd, went to trade Abra for Mr. Mime and grabbed HM Flash on-route! I caught a Diglett and Dugtrio in their cave and 0HKOed all of Lt. Surge's Pokemon with Sandslash! I realised I forgot to catch a Drowzee so I'm doing that, then I shall save.

LeafGreen Team:
o_hs_005_1.png
Iroh the Charmeleon, Level 24
Scratch, Mega Punch, Ember, Metal Claw
o_hs_025_f-1.png
Momo the Pikachu, Level 24
ThunderShock, Secret Power, Brick Break, Thunder Wave
o_hs_036_1.png
Yue the Clefable, Level 24
Pound, Water Pulse, Mega Kick, Shock Wave
o_hs_028_1.png
Toph the Sandslash, Level 24
Dig, Slash, Rock Tomb, Poison Sting

Last edited:

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Okay so since my last post I have beaten 7/8 gyms and now I'm in what I presume to be the Sevii Islands beginning the hunt for a child? I don't really know at this point, I had to go to One Island to talk to Celio then to Two Island to get something from the Game Corner guy and now I'm at Three Island about to go find Lostelle? Talk about convoluted.

Anywho the second run through Kanto was not particularly exciting, albeit it is much better to look at than it was in Red (and dare I say Let's Go as well? I'm a sucker for the GBA games). I progressed through the game taking on my rival at Pokemon Tower before taking on Rocket Hideout, then back to Pokemon Tower and skipping Erika to speed down Cycling Road and head to Fuchsia City. Why? The Safari Zone! Not only is it home to two HMs I need, but my fifth team member awaits me here! That member being Exeggcute. I taught it Psychic, took on the Cycling Road, swept Erika with Exeggcute + Charmeleon and then proceeded to defeat every trainer available before Koga to get my levels up. This got my squad to level 36, where Charmeleon evolved into Charizard!

Koga was swept by Exeggcute + Charizard since Psychic is brutally strong, even if Exeggcute is not. Weezing and Muk are annoying tanky as well to make things worse. It got my lil pile of eggs to level 37 and the move Sleep Powder though, which meant I could FINALLY evolve it into an Exeggutor! Now I could Surf I swam down to the Seafoam Islands to nab myself a Seel as my final team member, and taught them Ice Beam from the Game Corner alongside Surf. I grinded it up a bit before taking on Silph Co., but found it easier to keep the Exp. Share on it and use my stronger team members to get through this content slump, especially since my rival was a surprising challenge here. By the time I was fighting Giovanni I had a Dewgong, although Exeggutor and Clefable hogged the victories here. Sabrina got swept by Clefable until Alakazam crit it, so I beat it with Dewgong to get a lil bit of extra experience on it. I beat the routes around Cinnabar, cleared out the Pokemon Mansion and let Dewgong loose on Blaine for an easy win. Simple stuff!

This team is not as good as my Red team, but I like them all the same. They're quite vivid I feel, in terms of looking at them. Keeps me entertained. MVP has to be Clefable so far since it beats anything I find myself struggling against and is quite bulky, plus it levels up so so easily! I was initially going to teach it Calm Mind but I might go with Shadow Ball instead for extra Ghost coverage for Agatha. Raichu and Sandslash have surprised me with how good they are - both hit pretty damn hard and whilst Raichu smacks things a lot harder, Sandslash can actually take a hit? Plus Dig utility is sweet. Charizard feels pretty solid too, just like Venusaur did in Red actually - nothing outstanding, but solidly reliable. Exeggutor is fine, it hits really hard and was invaluable against a lot of threats my team struggles with, but it's no Alakazam and that Poison weakness is really unfortunate. It is my second favourite Psychic from the region so it was either that or Slowbro/Mr. Mime, who I wasn't quite ready to use yet. Finally, Dewgong feels okay? It's not very strong but it is tanky, and I look forward to pitting it versus Lance. Thick Fat was also very handy for Blaine I found.

LeafGreen Team:
o_hs_006_1.png
Iroh the Charizard, Level 42
Fly, Flamethrower, Brick Break, Metal Claw
o_hs_026_1.png
Momo the Raichu, Level 42
Thunderbolt, Secret Power, Brick Break, Thunder Wave
o_hs_036_1.png
Yue the Clefable, Level 42
Return, Water Pulse, Ice Beam, Thunder Wave
o_hs_028_1.png
Toph the Sandslash, Level 42