• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
So since my last post two weeks ago I found Lostelle, beat Giovanni, rushed through Victory Road and beat the Pokemon League! Didn't take too long really, all things considered. Kinda sped through the Sevii Islands stuff because it doesn't really interest me at the moment and I really did want to just complete the game and be (mostly) done with it, Giovanni got wrecked by Exeggutor and Sandslash and my rival just before Victory Road was a joke with his unevolved stuff. I got my squad to level 47 with Rare Candies and took on the Elite 4.
  • Lorelei was pretty simple, Raichu came in clutch with Thunderbolt spam and beat Dewgong, Cloyster and weakened Lapras enough for Exeggutor to come finish it off. Exeggutor also beat Slowbro with Sleep Powder + Leech Seed + Giga Drain shenanigans, and Jynx was 2HKOed by Charizard. Easy stuff!
  • Bruno was pretty much swept by Exeggutor, although Dewgong took out an Onix and Charizard and Sandslash combined beat Hitmonchan (who knew Rock Tomb, didn't know it knew that?).
  • Agatha was swept by Clefable mostly, where Haunter and Gengar never missed Hypnosis but Shadow Ball 2HKOed all the same. Golbat was ruined by Raichu, the first Gengar fell to Exeggutor and Arbok was crit KOed by Sandslash.
  • Lance was easy enough too - Gyarados fell to Raichu, Aerodactyl vs. Sandslash was drawn out thanks to Sandslash being kinda weak but we got there, Clefable and Charizard got a win each vs. a Dragonair, Dewgong froze Dragonite to avoid being destroyed by Outrage and won. Not bad!
Blue was a bit tougher, but nothing major. Pidgeot was 2HKOed by Raichu's Thunderbolt although he did switch to Rhydon for some funky AI tactics. I swapped to Charizard to avoid Earthquake, went into Sandslash to tank Rock Tomb and thanks to Leftovers lived Earthquake + Take Down to 2HKO with Earthquake. Exeggutor slowly whittled Blastoise down with the usual sleep + Leech Seed tactics, Dewgong wore Arcanine down with Surf (which 4HKOed, by the way, it's bad). Charizard 2HKOed Exeggutor with Flamethrower, Clefable 2HKOed Alakazam with Shadow Ball after tanking a Psychic and it randomly going for Future Sight? And I won!

I still need to complete the post-game Sevii Islands stuff for the roaming Johto beast, and I also need to capture the legendary birds & Mewtwo to transfer to Platinum but I won't post those here. My next game is Platinum! But I won't be playing it until 2021 because I have so many assignments to do, it's unreal.

Final team thoughts: Charizard is pretty good but not outstanding (bit like Venusaur in Red) and I really don't like how weak Fly felt to use in this game (70BP sucks). Raichu might actually claim MVP status in the end, Electric is such a good typing it seems versus the Elite 4 and Champion especially without the Ice weakness like Zapdos had! Clefable could also be MVP, although I feel like it wasn't quite as bulky as I wanted and despite an amazing movepool it didn't really hit hard enough to use it? I'm undecided. Sandslash was fine I guess, Earthquake really helped it towards the end since Dig was pretty weak but Ground typing is pretty exploitable towards the end-game, and everything feels like a physical wall. Plus it wasn't that bulky all things considered. Exeggutor was good, did much better against the Elite 4 than expected but Grass types aren't that helpful and I think a good Psychic type needs to be fast to work well? It was no Alakazam and I kinda wished I had used Mr. Mime or even Hypno. Also SunnyBeam would've been better than Leech Seed + Giga Drain, PP issues suck! Dewgong wasn't great, Ice STAB was solid but Lapras would've been better for that and it just did not hit very hard nor could it use its bulk efficiently.

LeafGreen Team:
6.png
26.png
36.png
28.png
103.png
87.png

o_hs_006_1.png
Iroh the Charizard, Level 48
Fly, Flamethrower, Brick Break, Dragon Claw
o_hs_026_1.png
Momo the Raichu, Level 48
Thunderbolt, Secret Power, Brick Break, Thunder Wave
o_hs_036_1.png
Yue the Clefable, Level 48
Return, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, Thunder Wave
o_hs_028_1.png
Toph the Sandslash, Level 47
Dig, Strength, Rock Slide, Earthquake
o_hs_103_1.png
Bushi the Exeggutor, Level 48
Psychic, Giga Drain, Leech Seed, Sleep Powder
o_hs_087_1.png
Appa the Dewgong, Level 48
Surf, Ice Beam, Aurora Beam, Headbutt

FireChick

So...I have a problem and need some help. I've been playing Pokemon Emerald lately. I beat the Elite Four, got the National Dex, completed the Hoenn Dex, and got the completion certificate from the game designer NPC. I hear this is how you get one of the Johto starters in Emerald. I did all of this...and for some reason the event won't activate. No matter what I do, I can't seem to activate the event where Birch lets you have one of the Johto starters in my Emerald game. Is there something else I need to do, or is there some kind of defect with my game?

Madison M

I've been playing Emerald for the first time. I beat Watson today.

My team is currently Shrunk the Marshtomp, Kapp'n the Lombre, Raddle the Swalot, Snake the Nincada, Caroline the Aron, and Static the Electrike. I also have a Zigzagoon named Nook who I use for HMs. I do plan on catching a Trapinch and naming it Nat and getting Shedinja and naming it Wisp just because I love Flygon and Shedinja, but I don't really plan my teams.

Oh, also my Pokémon are all named after Animal Crossing characters. Some are pretty much the same animals like Shrunk and Mudkip being axolotls or Kapp'n and Lombre being kappas. But the rest are harder. Swalot is Raddle because Raddle loves eating and is a poison dart frog, Nincada is Snake because Snake is a ninja, Electrike is Static because I couldn't think of anything better, and Aron is Caroline because there was nothing better than just having Aron hidden in her name.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Was playing the Omega Ruby for the first time and clearly the developers didn't expect anyone to beat Brawly with a level 11 Psychic/Fairy Ralts with Disarming Voice that won't miss, his Makuhita kept using Sand Attack (lvl 11 Beautifly took down his Machop)

zolios

Decided to reset my Sapphire a few weeks ago and do a Water Monotype run. I just beat Norman and my current team is Marshtomp, Lombre and Pelipper. Can't wait to finally get the Good Rod and catch a couple of new Pokemon for the team.

zolios

I guess I'm the only one playing Gen 3 at the moment lol
So yesterday I finally completed my Water monotype playthrough of Sapphire, I didn't have a lot of free time to play so finishing this run took a lot longer than I expected (2+ months). I had a lot of fun with this playthrough and my final team ended up being: Swampert, Pelipper, Ludicolo, Sharpedo, Walrein and Kyogre.

After avoiding using legendary Pokemon for most of my life as a Pokemon fan, I finally decided to use a few of them in a few of my playthroughs this past year and Kyogre was one of them for this Sapphire playthrough. I like Kyogre a lot but having it on the team made the Pokemon League a lot easier and a lot less exciting for me so I think I'll go back to not using legendaries after I finish my last playthrough with a legendary on my team, that being Celebi (transfered from VC Crystal) on my Moon playthrough and that run should be finished in a few days as well. Using Kyogre and other legendaries for the first time was fun and I'm glad I did it but I think I prefer the way I used to play before with legendaries being boxed as soon as I catch them.

Espeonite

About to start Leafgreen, bought an old cartridge (hopefully legit) and then I plan to play emerald after if I can find an authentic cartridge.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Just started Pokemon Fire Red. I‘m about three and a half hours into the game. I spent about an hour and a half in Viridian Forest searching for a Pikachu. I’m now at the Pokemon Center just outside of Mount Moon.

My party is:
VineDiesel - Bulbasaur, Level 13 (Starter)
Feathers - Pidgey, Level 16 (1st Catch)
Monarch - Butterfree, Level 11
MonkiStyle - Mankey, Level 9
Sparky - Pikachu, Level 11

Espeonite

Finishing the silph co. rocket takeover now.

My Team is

Venusaur - Level 39
Pidgeot - Level 40
Kadabra - Level 41
Mr. Nido (Nidoking from trade) - Level 41

I'll add Lapras once I receive it and probably Gengar to round up my team.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I’m about 10 hours into FR now. I breezed through Mount Moon, capturing a Clefairy, but I struggled against Misty in Cerulean City. It took a couple of attempts to beat her Starmie. After finally beating her and completing Route 24/25, I was able to breeze through the SS Anne, the Vermillion Gym, and Diglett’s Tunnel. Rock Tunnel was a pain, though, and 60% of my team ended up fainted. I’m now in Lavender Town and working my way down Route 8 towards Saffron City and the Silph Company.

Team:
FireTigger - Growlithe, Level 16
Ch’Ding - Farfetch’d, Level 20
Feathers - Pidgeotto, Level 23
VineDiesel - Ivysaur, Level 31 (Starter)
Luna - Clefairy, Level 26
Sparky - Pikachu, Level 25

Key Reserves
Rocky - Geodude, Level 24
Monarch - Butterfree, Level 20
MonkiStyle - Mankey, Level 14
Mimien - Mr. Mime, Level 11

Madison M

I finally got a GBA so I can play a gen 3 game legitimately. I got a Mudkip named Shrunk and spent a while looking for a Ralts. I caught one and was going to name it Chelsea, but the switch is so sensitive that the game reset once I hit select. I just found another one, and made sure to save. But then my GBA turned off in the middle of saving and I lost the file.

I also own LeafGreen, but I've been focusing on Emerald.

zolios

Just finished my second Sapphire playthrough this year. This was my first time playing through Hoenn without using at least one of the starters and it was a fun experience.

UbLbIoL.jpeg

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Last night I went to the Safari Zone to catch myself a Scyther. Lucky me found a shiny! I intend to move it to Sapphire and eventually Pearl, HeartGold, X, OmegaRuby, Ultra Sun, Shield, Brilliant Diamond and Legends as a ribbon collector where it will become a Kleavor. It will be quite the project but I think a ribbon collecting Safari ball Kleavor is just the kind of rare Pokémon I am looking for.

Pyreon

Last night I went to the Safari Zone to catch myself a Scyther. Lucky me found a shiny! I intend to move it to Sapphire and eventually Pearl, HeartGold, X, OmegaRuby, Ultra Sun, Shield, Brilliant Diamond and Legends as a ribbon collector where it will become a Kleavor. It will be quite the project but I think a ribbon collecting Safari ball Kleavor is just the kind of rare Pokémon I am looking for.
Looks like a really nice project, good luck!

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Looks like a really nice project, good luck!
Hey thanks! I finished just before the July 4th holiday. I got it 20 contest ribbons between RSE and DPPt. All the champion ribbons—including Red—as well as the daily story ribbons. Right now the Kleavor is the only Pokémon I have that I was able to get the Twinkling Star Ribbon on. I also recently hatched a shiny Rowlet and shiny Cyndaquil in Sun to have ribbon holders of two of the Hisui starters.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I finally started a new Emerald file tonight, trying to get the team in my signature, all in Premier Balls.

I started off giving myself some rules - I'm not willing to try to trade in a Zangoose or a Togepi egg until I get to the points in the game where that would make sense, so Routes 114 and 117 respectively, if I do that at all. I'm going to have to wait until the postgame for the Eon twins, too, no funny business trying to trade them in - or at least I currently plan not to do that. That leaves me with... just the Gardevoir and Altaria lines, to start?

So I started up, and I immediately gunned for the Premier Balls and a Ralts, and I found one with Synchronize. I decided to make my life a little easier by getting a Wingull, too - it matches the aesthetic I like just fine, learns some important HMs, and would come in handy early on. I'm thinking of swapping it out in the postgame when I have both Altaria and Latias for Fly and Surf, but it might stick around longer.

After that, Wingull proved to be even more important than I expected - the Team Aqua grunt in Petalburg Forest would have been impossible to overcome with Ralts alone, who had no effective moves to use against a Dark-type Poochyena. Wingull made short work of the Rustboro Gym's trainers and Roxanne's two Geodude, but got taken out in a shocking single hit by Nosepass, so Ralts unexpectedly came to the rescue with her Double Team and the help of an X Defense and X Special I'd picked up along the way... and two Potions. The first gym battle of the run was already a nail-biter! And since I'm selling most items I find to fund my Premier Ball habit, it's only going to get tougher from here.

Having made it through Rustboro, I now have a solid team of two, plus my starter Treecko in the back for Cut until I can swap it out with a Roselia later, since that matches my aesthetic for the run better and can be obtained in a Premier Ball.

I'm a little underleveled going into Dewford Gym - here's hoping Ralts' and Wingull's type advantages can save me!

Pyreon

I finally started a new Emerald file tonight, trying to get the team in my signature, all in Premier Balls.

I started off giving myself some rules - I'm not willing to try to trade in a Zangoose or a Togepi egg until I get to the points in the game where that would make sense, so Routes 114 and 117 respectively, if I do that at all. I'm going to have to wait until the postgame for the Eon twins, too, no funny business trying to trade them in - or at least I currently plan not to do that. That leaves me with... just the Gardevoir and Altaria lines, to start?

So I started up, and I immediately gunned for the Premier Balls and a Ralts, and I found one with Synchronize. I decided to make my life a little easier by getting a Wingull, too - it matches the aesthetic I like just fine, learns some important HMs, and would come in handy early on. I'm thinking of swapping it out in the postgame when I have both Altaria and Latias for Fly and Surf, but it might stick around longer.

After that, Wingull proved to be even more important than I expected - the Team Aqua grunt in Petalburg Forest would have been impossible to overcome with Ralts alone, who had no effective moves to use against a Dark-type Poochyena. Wingull made short work of the Rustboro Gym's trainers and Roxanne's two Geodude, but got taken out in a shocking single hit by Nosepass, so Ralts unexpectedly came to the rescue with her Double Team and the help of an X Defense and X Special I'd picked up along the way... and two Potions. The first gym battle of the run was already a nail-biter! And since I'm selling most items I find to fund my Premier Ball habit, it's only going to get tougher from here.

Having made it through Rustboro, I now have a solid team of two, plus my starter Treecko in the back for Cut until I can swap it out with a Roselia later, since that matches my aesthetic for the run better and can be obtained in a Premier Ball.

I'm a little underleveled going into Dewford Gym - here's hoping Ralts' and Wingull's type advantages can save me!

This seems like a really fun challenge! Good luck!
Roxanne is indeed quite hard without the starter, especially when your Water-type is a Wingull. Interested to hear how you fare against Wattson, since the type matchup is quite difficult for those two as well.

Vindicated30.6

Ace and Aspie, for life and light!
I remember playing these wonderful games as a kid
Going to cry thinking about these good old times
Yeah I played Yellow and Crystal but watching a friend battle Rayquaza in Emerald was what got me to go all in on Pokemon.