• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Remakes - Should it happen?

When should 3rd Gen remakes come out?

• In between B/W and 3rd game

Votes: 56 40.0%
  • After B/W/3rd game

Votes: 64 45.7%
  • As part of Generation 6

Votes: 20 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Okay, fine, ignore the rest of my post where I highlight the reasons why those arguments are strengthened when applied to RSE instead of GSC.

If you can't refute my points, don't bother dismissing it.

None of those things mattered, it's not what I was talking about.

Sprintking

Like has been previously stated, at this moment there is no need for remakes, although as long as Nintendo can make money off them, they will be made at some point. My guess is at least 2 years down the road, on the 3DS.

fcourse, but its fun to have new things in your fav region and play with the 5th gen pokemon in it. since the dsi, they wont be compatble anymore.

for me there doesnt have to be an official reason like compatability for it. hoenn was also your fav, wouldnt it be fun to see it being upgraded.

I'd rather GameFreak skip over Ruby and Sapphire remakes and move on to the next generation. As for compatibility, no, Ruby and Sapphire will not be compatible with Black and White. However, they are still compatible with the 4th Generation which will be compatible with the 5th. In addition, all the Hoenn Pokemon, including the Legendaries, were made available between Platinum and HGSS.

Again, there is no need for remakes, but GameFreak will make them for one reason: money.

BCVM22

They should add Hoenn on to BW like Kanto was with GSC

Or they could not and thus avoid Hoenn being reused as a stripped down, barren husk of its former self, and don't kid yourself, that's what Kanto was in G/S/C.

Independent of that, they have no reason to when they could potentially remake the Hoenn template as two new titles and charge you $35 a pop each for them.

Beebar234

I agree with the arguments that they will be on the 3DS. What I'm not sure is if they will be before or after the third version. I'm going for after, since they won't be as needed to completing the Pokedex is as FRLG were in Gen 3. On a side note, I hope they bring back that weird guy from the Mauville City Pokemon Center. I have the Bard, and hearing him sing his song with the improved sound capabilities of the 3DS.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
I'd rather GameFreak skip over Ruby and Sapphire remakes and move on to the next generation. As for compatibility, no, Ruby and Sapphire will not be compatible with Black and White. However, they are still compatible with the 4th Generation which will be compatible with the 5th. In addition, all the Hoenn Pokemon, including the Legendaries, were made available between Platinum and HGSS.

Again, there is no need for remakes, but GameFreak will make them for one reason: money.

thats all true but if you like gen 3 i dont get why you would rather skip them

thats all true but if you like gen 3 i dont get why you would rather skip them

I'd rather play through new region with new Pokemon than a remake of a game I've already played, simply enough.

Also take into consideration how HGSS did little to fix the problems that were present in the original games, and aside from the Safari Zone and Pokeathlon, the remakes were nearly identical to the originals. RS remakes would most likely follow suit, and personally, I'm already content with playing Emerald.

ijea4444

The main number one reason I would want a 3rd gen remake would be for updated official art.

Delaying a new generation imo is a good thing, it allows for better development.

If they didn't delay the year or so that HGSS gave, do you think we would still have the quality that BW has? Or if FRLG had been ignored leaving Emerald to be released earlier. Do you think we'd have the quality that DP had?

If it weren't for remakes we'd have almost 2 more generations. And people are already complaining that the designs aren't "pokemon" enough.

ijea4444

Thats not the point. The point is people are complaining of lack of originality and demand shorter generation gaps. Don't you see the problem in that? If you wanted better designs actually give them time to create them. If your asking for a half-a*sed game your going to get a half-a*sed game. Simple.

BCVM22

I know. But if I could choose to skip over RS remakes and have the 6th Generation games released; say, six months earlier; I would.

Again, though, that isn't the case nor is it a realistic choice; you aren't being denied the next generation, whether it be by six months or a year, just because they release remakes. The remakes are a means by which to fill the time until a new generation, time mandated by Nintendo and by the hardware lifespan.

Case in point, them skipping HG/SS would not have given you Black and White in March instead of this September.

Thats not the point. The point is people are complaining of lack of originality and demand shorter generation gaps.

I'm not complaining about lack of originality. But yeah, shorter generation gaps would be great.

Don't you see the problem in that? If you wanted better designs actually give them time to create them.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm not complaining about the designs. You know why people are complaining about the new Pokemon? Because they're different than what they're used to. It has nothing to do with quality. I'm perfectly fine with the designs we have now, and they wouldn't be affected at all if Black and White were released six months sooner.

If your asking for a half-a*sed game your going to get a half-a*sed game. Simple.

Black and White would be the same whether or not GameFreak made HGSS. Actually, they would even be better if the release date would remain the same, as GameFreak would've been working on them over HGSS.

Case in point, them skipping HG/SS would not have given you Black and White in March instead of this September.

Fine, I concede then. You win again, BCVM.

UberSorcerer

Reasons for 'Terra Ruby and Marine Sapphire'
The DSi/XL are the current literation of the DS and the 3DS is coming. None of these are compatible with RSE.
They can improve on the game(And boy howdy, does it need it)
Include the updated mechanics.

Reasons against 'Terra Ruby and Marine Sapphire'
RS are still somewhat compatible with the current generation, unlike RG/B/RB/Y and GS/Cj/Ce.
They created a broken base in the fandom and do not have the nostalgia associated with the first two generations. They have a very vocal minority.
They are 'close enough' to the look of the current generation.
RS already did not sell as well as it's predecessors, that accompanies with the fact remakes sell less than new games is not a positive sign.

The DSi/XL are the current literation of the DS and the 3DS is coming. None of these are compatible with RSE.

What rule is there that says every single game ever made must be playable on the current handheld?

They can improve on the game(And boy howdy, does it need it)

Please, elaborate. As far as I'm concerned, the only flaw with Ruby and Sapphire was the lack of things to do post-Elite Four, and Emerald fixed that.

Include the updated mechanics.

Not a reason to remake them in the slightest.

Oh, and while I don't want Ruby and Sapphire remade, all the reasons you gave for not remaking them were awful.

BCVM22

They created a broken base in the fandom

In sections of the fandom that don't mean jack, i.e. the jaded 13-year-olds who were pouting because they couldn't transfer their Lv. 100 Charizard they started with in Red or Blue all the way ahead to Ruby and Sapphire.

and do not have the nostalgia associated with the first two generations.

What? According to whom? You're not really going to try and make the case that there aren't millions of kids worldwide for whom Ruby or Sapphire were their first Pokémon game, are you?

They are 'close enough' to the look of the current generation.

You may think this, but go play a few hours of a 3rd generation title and then do the same with a 4th generation title. The difference in all facets is significant and evident and that difference isn't going to shrink with a new generation right around the corner.

RS already did not sell as well as it's predecessors, that accompanies with the fact remakes sell less than new games is not a positive sign.

This is just taking the data and misinterpreting it or twisting it to suit your case. Ruby and Sapphire didn't sell as much as the first two generations because the numbers the 1st and 2nd generations put up were utterly unsustainable. 30 million units is not a sustainable number. No one who saw the 1st and 2nd generation sell like that would have told you that it was a sustainable number.

Ruby and Sapphire's numbers were an adjustment down to numbers that are reasonable and can be sustained, and they still sold 15 million units worldwide. Do you know how many companies would kill to have their game(s) sell like that? Do you know how many units Zelda: Ocarina of Time sold worldwide? Just under 8 million. There was nothing "wrong" with how Ruby and Sapphire sold, and furthermore, keep in mind that they were sharing the generation with a pair of remakes, something the 1st and 2nd generation games did not.

It absolutely is xD One of the biggest reasons for remaking older games is to make them current again, which includes any new game mechanics that have been introduced.

While that's true, it doesn't apply to Ruby and Sapphire. The only new mechanics that have been introduced since RS is the physical / special split (which isn't such a major change anyway) and triple battles (which wouldn't really be used much, if at all).

It was different with GS because it was completely outdated. But natures, EVs, etc. have all been there since Ruby and Sapphire, and haven't changed much.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
In sections of the fandom that don't mean jack, i.e. the jaded 13-year-olds who were pouting because they couldn't transfer their Lv. 100 Charizard they started with in Red or Blue all the way ahead to Ruby and Sapphire.

Well there's that, and that I thought (at the time), that they were replacing what I considered to be good with crappier and less original ones. Obviously that is a ridiculous thought looking back, but regardless, cutting off all ties with previous pokemon games while only including a fourth of the original ones was a scary thought.

What? According to whom? You're not really going to try and make the case that there aren't millions of kids worldwide for whom Ruby or Sapphire were their first Pokémon game, are you?

I'm sure there are, in fact a friend of mine started with Ruby and Sapphire. But for the rest of us, the lack of communication with the 2nd gen and the lack of old pokemon killed any nostalgia we could've had for the game.

You may think this, but go play a few hours of a 3rd generation title and then do the same with a 4th generation title. The difference in all facets is significant and evident and that difference isn't going to shrink with a new generation right around the corner.

Yeah, but I can see why he says this. The art style in the 4th gen is similar to the 3rd gen, except more vibrant and more 3D. The differences are significant and evident, but not by much.

It absolutely is xD One of the biggest reasons for remaking older games is to make them current again, which includes any new game mechanics that have been introduced.

Not really. The biggest would be if the pokemon in that game are unavailable/too rare. But that is one of the other reasons why. The others would be nostalgia factor, lack of availability of a working copy of the original, and for people who entered the series much later so they could experience the older games. As for the game mechanics excuse, that would really depend on what gets changed from 4th gen to 5th. The 4th gen mechanics are mainly the same, the only major difference being the physical-special split. Remaking the 1st and 2nd gen games was viable by that logic because so much was changed from 2nd to 3rd gen. The inclusion of abilities, natures, double battles, all revolutionized the way we play pokemon. Add to that the changes from 1st to 2nd (FRLG) and 3rd to 4th (HGSS). While not as drastic as the changes from 2nd to 3rd, they are no less significant. So naturally, with all of those changes, the aforementioned remakes would be a slightly different experience than the originals. So we'd have to wait and see what get change in the 5th gen before we can judge that. Who knows, even if all they change is the inclusion of triple battles, that maybe be all the RS needs to be mechanically different enough for a remake.

While that's true, it doesn't apply to Ruby and Sapphire. The only new mechanics that have been introduced since RS is the physical / special split (which isn't such a major change anyway) and triple battles (which wouldn't really be used much, if at all).

It's too early to say that because we don't know what else has changed besides triple battles. As for the physical/special split not being major, consider a few scenarios. Consider how much more deadly Morty's Gengar is because Shadow Ball is now a Special attack (and Gengar has a monstrous Special Attack stat). Consider how Sneasel couldn't take advantage of either of its types due to a dismal Special Attack stat (and both of its types were Specially inclined), but now he and his evolved form Weavile are now beasts at Physical Sweeping. Consider how Hitmonchan couldn't really use his elemental punches due to a low Special Attack stat, but now can. And those are just a few examples. Consider all of those and then tell me that the physical/special split wasn't major.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.