• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ [Read all of first post if you don't want an infraction]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexSH

Shiny Hunter
I had been SRing for a shiny Treecko on Emerald. 380 SRs later and I gave up and decided to play through the file. While trying to find a Seedot for my dex on Route 102 (not even 2 hours into the file) I ran into.... a shiny Wurmple! In all it's purple glory. ^_^ Naughty nature isn't great, but that's ok. I think I'm going to wait until I migrate / pokeshift it to White to evolve it :p
I nearly had a heart attack trying to catch it. It was level 4, I tackled with my level 6 wurmple and crit it into the red.

You do know about Emerald's broken RNG right?

Dangertrout

You do know about Emerald's broken RNG right?

>.< by Emerald I meant Ruby. I don't know why I had Emerald in my head all day.
... you CAN SR them in R/S, right? I saw Birch's starters shiny on Smogon, so I assumed you could. didn't really look into how the RNG works for gen 3.

edit - silly me, of course I had Emerald stuck in my head. That's what I was playing after I gave up in SRing in Ruby :p

Last edited:

Ginji

Hmm
I caught my very first shiny in my firered while looking for the key to blaine's gym

shinykoffing.jpg

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
Just got the second badge shiny for my Leaf Green badge quest!

http://i40.*******.com/erl9ht.jpg

Was expecting a pidgey or spearow, so I'm pretty excited about this... too bad he has a timid nature... oh well =)

Skyhi101

Quite surprised today when I was in the car and I decided to try and pull a shiny Whismur. It only took me 29 encounters to find this guy!

Suppose the nature could be better but he still looks cool <3

It's my first shiny on Emerald as well, gonna try looking in the grass patch in route 117 next!

Whismur.jpg

Draknir

Fear the Deer
I was busy preparing to fight Winona in my Emerald Nuzlocke, when I got into a wild battle. I could tell I was fighting a Shiny Tentacool while it was shaded out. It broke out of the first Ultra Ball, but after Paralyzing it, I managed to get it. Its nature was Jolly, which I guess isn't too bad, but its a Shiny nonetheless. It shall be put on my team in the event I lose one of my current members.

Scrufox86

Hi all. Congratulations on recent shinies.

I have a few questions. I have heard about the Emerald broken rng but never tried the rng trick with it but i have recently heard that when Ruby and Sapphire batteries run dry that they basically have an Emerald rng. Can someone explain to me what a shiny file is? And apparently it is to do with the broken rng and if you restart a new file on your game if you find a shiny starter it means you'll find a lot of shinies? I'm confused about all this. Both my Ruby and Sapphire versions batteries have run dry so i was thinking of restarting one of them to do this if i know it can be done and actually works.

KingofGames26

←Latest B/W Shiny!
Hi all. Congratulations on recent shinies.

I have a few questions. I have heard about the Emerald broken rng but never tried the rng trick with it but i have recently heard that when Ruby and Sapphire batteries run dry that they basically have an Emerald rng. Can someone explain to me what a shiny file is? And apparently it is to do with the broken rng and if you restart a new file on your game if you find a shiny starter it means you'll find a lot of shinies? I'm confused about all this. Both my Ruby and Sapphire versions batteries have run dry so i was thinking of restarting one of them to do this if i know it can be done and actually works.

Yeah, Ruby/Sapphire with a dry battery has Emerald's broken RNG. The RNG in it isn't exactly random. Which makes it more difficult to find a shiny unless you have an early shiny frame. I'm guessing a shiny file is a save file with an early shiny frame. If you have an early shiny frame it'll be easier to find shinies.

To SR for a shiny starter with the broken RNG:
1. Start a new game.
2. SR 30-50 times for a shiny starter.
3. If you don't get a shiny, start a new file.
Keep repeating 1-3 till you get a shiny starter. Try to vary your timing when you sr.

I'm just recently started looking into this since I want to try and SR for a shiny treecko. You can change your Ruby/Sapphire's battery if you want to SR the normal way.

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
Yeah, Ruby/Sapphire with a dry battery has Emerald's broken RNG. The RNG in it isn't exactly random. Which makes it more difficult to find a shiny unless you have an early shiny frame. I'm guessing a shiny file is a save file with an early shiny frame. If you have an early shiny frame it'll be easier to find shinies.

To SR for a shiny starter with the broken RNG:
1. Start a new game.
2. SR 30-50 times for a shiny starter.
3. If you don't get a shiny, start a new file.
Keep repeating 1-3 till you get a shiny starter. Try to vary your timing when you sr.

I'm just recently started looking into this since I want to try and SR for a shiny treecko. You can change your Ruby/Sapphire's battery if you want to SR the normal way.

Uh-huh, this is the idea. Although, people who are dead set on soft resetting a shiny often do hundreds of resets to make sure they don't have an early shiny frame.

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
Today is my lucky day, and I am going to tell the world why. Today I was surfing up to Shoal Cave in Emerald to catch a Snorunt to send to White (after going through Platinum). Just before reaching the cave, I entered a battle and found a shiny Tentacool! After freaking out for a moment, I check my Pokemon to see if they know False Swipe or any non-damaging status moves. I don't so I throw a Net Ball, hoping to catch it. Luck is still on my side, and I manage to catch the Tentacool with the first Net Ball. I was too excited to worry about Snorunt (I caught one later), so I went back to a PC to look at my Shiny Tentacool.

Shiny Tentacool is my 5th random Shiny. I previously caught (in order) a Shiny Heracross(LG), Dunsparce(LG), Wailmer(R), and Oddish(E). Only the LG shinies were caught during the 3rd gen.; Wailmer and Oddish were caught during the fourth generation. I've clocked much more hours on my 4th gen, games, but never found a random shiny (nintendo events are fine, though). I know that Emerald has a broken RNG, but I don't know how to manipulate it at all; my emerald shinys were pure random found hours after I turned on the game.

Tentacruel is a decent Pokemon, so I'm going to try to raise it competitvely and use it in a battle tower. Picture of the Shiny Tentacool (named Shiny Wave) is in the spoiler.

Shiny_Tentacool.jpg

Dangertrout

I'm doing a Nuzlocke in LG, and currently grinding my team to take on Vermillion Gym. I was watching TV, not looking at my game and thought "what's that weird sparkle sound?" Looked down and saw.. a shiny pidgey! Too bad it has a Hardy nature >.< Still fun to find shinies though =)

Shiny Supercow

S*ck My PokeBalls
It's been quite a while ago since I last posted anything, but I just started playing Saphire again and something really nice happened like ten minutes ago.

I decided to try the famous "RE" to find a shiny in victory road.
After two. Yes 2 encounters, first one being a wishmur, the second one was a shiny Hariyama!

I really could not believe my eyes. I quickly caught the bastard in a masterball due to the fact that he has whirlwind.
I will post a picture soon! :D

PikaEevee

It was a holiday night, so I had school off. I was playing Ruby, and I was on this island like area I just discovered near Rustboro. I was running around in this patch of grass, because I wanted to see if it had any unique Pokemon. The result was a shiny Tallow. I was so excited, it was pure luck. I caught it pretty quickly. His nickname is Shiny, level 26, and his nature is hasty. I don't know if that is a good or bad nature, but his stats are 59 HP, 26 speical attack, 34 attack, 22 speical attack, 18 defense, and 57 speed. I've evolved him into a Swellow, but never saved, because even though I like the shiny Swellow design, I want to keep Tallow the way I found it.

My brother also has a shiny Whismur on his Emerald.

I've never tried soft reseting.

Hyper_Beam_Attack

Hi, new here :p
Congratulations to all in your recent findings! :D
So...I was looking for a Geodude in that cave on the island for the second Gym, in Sapphire, for my recently restarted monotype run.
When outta nowhere I found a stoned Aron. I was actually reading something off the interwebz before looking down at the DS screen.
I forget her nature, but it's an okay nature, according to me. xD

Good luck in your huntings! :D

Cutty

Forever now
Glad to see this thread a bit active.

I got 2 new shinies from my LeafGreen games to show.

The first one is not exactly I wanted, but it's still shiny nevertheless.
This is my second attempt on shiny Meowth but ended up differently.

shinypidge.jpg

shinypidge1.jpg

shinyPidgey.jpg

Got it after 4,690 RE's on route 6.

The second shiny a bit shocked me as it appeared faster than I thought it would. Only took 1,582 SR's in LG again but different version.

shinyLapras.jpg

shinyLap.jpg

shinylap1.jpg

My other current hunts in 3rd gen games are Kyogre, Charmander, RE in JPN LG and Ruby. The Kyogre has passed 10k.

Dangertrout

grats to the recent shinies!
@ Cutty, I hope your internal battery holds out for your Kyogre. Once it dies, SRing won't do you much good :(

I've been playing a Sapphire Nuzlocke lately, and while training on the route above Slateport I ran into a shiny Zigzagoon!
For once, I caught a RE shiny with a nature that didn't suck! (It's adamant)
I think I may have used up my shiny luck for the month though, which makes me sad. (I'm MMing a female bulbasaur in Black, and was really hoping to hatch it this month >.<)

Aura Of Twilight

Forever Clueless
Awhile back, I remember SRing for a shiny Charamander on LeafGreen. Surprisingly, it only took three days to finally get it, but even so its nature was terrible....Oh the irony...

On Pokemon Collosseum, what happened wasn't what I expected. I had just been going through the game normally and at last I battled Miror B for the first time. There had been nothing really special about it, other than the music. After I caught the shadow Sudowoodo I put it in storage, but a few days later I realized something: It was a shiny, and a werid one at that; green body with pink branches. It was so unexpected that I swore. XD

As for XD I wasn't quite as lucky. One day I decided to started over on it, and what happened? A shiny. Except this time it was the Salamance you use in the battle simulation at the beginning. Long story short, I couldn't get it. A little peice of me died inside right then and there.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I found a Shiny Trapinch as I was traveling through the desert portion of Route 111 in Emerald version yesterday. I was actually looking for a wild Cacnea at the time, but I encountered the Shiny instead. I was so happy because I've only encountered a few Shinies in Emerald version. I captured it in a Great Ball after my Sceptile used False Swipe on it. I didn't nickname it, nor have I trained it yet. I just want to keep it in that state. I might transfer it to Diamond version later on, but for now, I'm keeping it as a sort of trophy.

~Silver Aura~

Back...ish
OK I decided to restart my emwrald file and SR for a shiny Mudkip. Of course the broken RNG wasn't gonna make that easy for me, but thanks to a demonstration (sp?) vid I was able to varie my timing better.After about four days and several files I still didn't have my shiny....but just as I was getting discouraged, a purple Mudkip popped out! I couldn't believe it. Saying I was over the moon is proberly an understatment. Anyway my new shiny has the bold nature. Not the best but I don't care! It's shiny! :D And I didn't run into any shiny Zigzagoon, not one!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.