• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ [Read all of first post if you don't want an infraction]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth pkmn

Well, just grinding in victory road, and to my surprise, shiny golbat appeared! I caught it. its black, and I might upload pictures of it soon.
(caught it in pokemon ruby)

Couldn't get a pic, but you can see what it looks like in my sig!

Last edited:

Jimboman

<- Latest Shiny
Hey, everyone! It's been 4 years or something since I last posted here, so if you don't mind I'm going to reintroduce my shiny collection to you.

I've got 16 shinies (without using that RNG thing and all caught myself):

#1. Bellossom: ;182;
There I was trying to find a Pikachu with Light Ball in Safari Zone, when a strange looking Oddish appears. I didn't know there were different coloured pokemon (apart from Gyarados) back then. Yep, it was a great day.

ed1aab20.jpg

#2. Aggron: ;306;
As random as Oddish. I thought it was going to use Roar and I didn't have any Master Balls with me. Thankfully, the second Repeat Ball I threw did the work.

1fdd92cb.jpg

#3. Regice: ;378;
Naturally, my obsession with shinies began and I had to start SRing. After about 3,500 SRs, Regice shone.

1390d541.jpg

#4. Mewtwo: ;150;
About 6,000 ~ 7,000 SRs.

98a1580a.jpg

#5. Eevee: ;133;
About 3,000 ~ 4,000 SRs.

e3922bf9.jpg

#6. Swablu: ;333;
About 6,000 ~ 7,000 REs.

940360b5.jpg

#7. Golbat: ;042;
I was training my Shiny Lax Espeon when it appeared. Thanks to Synchronize, it has Lax nature too. Oh, well.

009c099d.jpg

#8. Mudkip: ;258;
About 4,000 ~ 5,000 SRs. Thankfully, no uncatchable shiny appeared before it. (Unlike when SRing for a shiny Treecko, but that's another story...)

15db45cd.jpg

#9. Voltorb: ;100;
About 10,000 ~ 12,000 SRs.

8148d9cb.jpg

#10. Rayquaza: ;384;
About 4,000 ~ 6,000 SRs.

ShinyRayquaza1.jpg

57a050fd.jpg

#11. Kyogre: ;382;
About 12,000 ~ 14,000 SRs.

ShinyKyogre1.jpg

f7687ab4.jpg

#12. Regirock: ;377;
About 7,000 ~ 9,000 SRs.

ShinyRegirock1.jpg

7ff54c8f.jpg

#13. Registeel: ;379;
About 500 ~ 1,000 SRs.

ShinyRegisteel1.jpg

2822e3af.jpg

#14. Ditto: ;132;
I think I was leveling Mewtwo up in Cerulean Cave, when suddenly...

ShinyDitto1.jpg

8537f4d2.jpg

And then I stopped playing for a while... But I started playing again last week, and I decided to try to get a shiny Groudon. It appeared on Saturday.

#15. Groudon: ;383;
About 5,000 ~ 6,000 SRs.

387f1ff6.jpg

1d37baf7.jpg

bbab06ab.jpg

#16. Abra: ;063;
This one appeared yesterday, when I decided to do some simultaneous SR (LG + FR). I could say this was random, since I wasn't expecting anything at all.

2702b9f5.jpg

162d46b4.jpg

eb228082.jpg

So... I think that's it. I hope you guys enjoy looking at pictures like these as much as I do.

EDIT: I got a new shiny on Monday! 17 now.

#17. Regice: ;378;
I decided to get myself another shiny Regice since I think it's a very fast pokemon to SR for. It took me something near 7,000~9,000 SRs. Lax nature...

63d40aa6.jpg

3c64057d.jpg

a8b5dfeb.jpg

Last edited:

MultiHDGam3r

I am currently Soft Resetting for Shiny Rayquaza in Emerald, and I have a Dry Battery. Almost a week and nothing, but Idk when my battery died cause it was years ago. But I did encounter a Shiny Whismur randomly in the Wild, so I can still get shinies but if I have to wait for my Shiny Frame, then does that mean I cannot get my Shiny Rayquaza? :(

Dangertrout

I am currently Soft Resetting for Shiny Rayquaza in Emerald, and I have a Dry Battery. Almost a week and nothing, but Idk when my battery died cause it was years ago. But I did encounter a Shiny Whismur randomly in the Wild, so I can still get shinies but if I have to wait for my Shiny Frame, then does that mean I cannot get my Shiny Rayquaza? :(

emerald's random number generator always starts at the same frame (as does ruby or sapphire if their internal battery has died). Because of that, unless you're going to abuse the RNG, you're probably better off hunting random encounter shinies in the wild. iirc, there is a rayquaza in gen 4 you could SR for....

monkeyman192

simply bored
emerald's random number generator always starts at the same frame (as does ruby or sapphire if their internal battery has died). Because of that, unless you're going to abuse the RNG, you're probably better off hunting random encounter shinies in the wild. iirc, there is a rayquaza in gen 4 you could SR for....

I was going to ask whether the same happens in sapphire, but then I re-read your post :p
Might have to abuse RNG to try get a shiny beldum...
I assume this method here works well (and I can use on an already started game to get a shiny beldum): http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/rs_nonbredrng
Figured out how RNG works... now I have a shiny treecko :D
So very happy about it :p

Last edited:

Skyhi101

Caught a shiny Zubat in Leaf Green today by random ;)

ShinyTorchicDude

AlwaysWinning
I'm new to SRing but i've had shiny pokemon thru random encounters but now im trying to SR for shiny torchic on emerald but its not working i saved in front of the bag and im SRing when its not shiny (which is every time) am i doing something wrong?

Dangertrout

I'm new to SRing but i've had shiny pokemon thru random encounters but now im trying to SR for shiny torchic on emerald but its not working i saved in front of the bag and im SRing when its not shiny (which is every time) am i doing something wrong?

Sorry to say this, but SRing in Emerald doesn't really work. The RNG (random number generator) starts at the same point every time you turn the power on.
The same thing happens with Ruby/Sapphire if their internal batteries have died.

ShinyTorchicDude

AlwaysWinning
Sorry to say this, but SRing in Emerald doesn't really work. The RNG (random number generator) starts at the same point every time you turn the power on.
The same thing happens with Ruby/Sapphire if their internal batteries have died.
So i cant get shiny torchic by SRing or shiny rayquaza

monkeyman192

simply bored
So i cant get shiny torchic by SRing or shiny rayquaza

You can, but you need to know when to press 'A'. It will more than likely be longer that straight away...
I am not as sure about doing it in Emerald, but if you can find out your SID then you will be able to calculate when to press A so you get a shiny torchic

ShinyTorchicDude

AlwaysWinning
You can, but you need to know when to press 'A'. It will more than likely be longer that straight away...
I am not as sure about doing it in Emerald, but if you can find out your SID then you will be able to calculate when to press A so you get a shiny torchic
Thanks but ive read where u cant get ur SID until u have one shiny

~CallOfTheIndie~

Now on vinyl
My favorite is probably Mawile. It looks somewhat feminine, and the pink in Mawile's shiny form suits it.

monkeyman192

simply bored
Thanks but ive read where u cant get ur SID until u have one shiny

Yeah, I think that might be the case in emerald... There is some guide to finding your SID without having a shiny but I think it is pretty complicated...

Status
Not open for further replies.