• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ [Read all of first post if you don't want an infraction]

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyman192

simply bored
If it is possible to generate an ID/SID like I did in saphire, in emerald, then I would do it that way, and then choose a spread such that a wild ralts will appear shiny.
With wild pokemon only certain ones in each area will appear shiny (within a reasonable amount of time)
I think in my game a shiny ralts wouldn't appear for at least 2h...

NgrDrew

Ngr Trainer
dat big flygon

monkeyman192

simply bored
beldum etc shiny are awesome...

Master Leo

The Dark Side
I really like Camerupt's shiny form. But Taillow/Swellow is a close second.

definately manetric or minum

Luneth777

Shiny Hunter
HNI_0017.JPG

This Gulpin popped up while I was searching for a Plusle for my Black version pokedex. I think i'm in for a long drought now though since this is my second shiny within the last week.

Cutty

Forever now
Got me another 3rd gen shiny from JPN Ruby. Well, I got a couple of 3rd gen shinies before this, but I'm lazy to post them. Just check my sig.

- shiny appeared -
- shiny data -

It took me 10,004 REs in Granite Cave. And it's the one that I really wanted.
I've been blessed by getting my RE hunts on target this month. Before this I managed to get a shiny Venipede in 5th gen too.

I don't have any 3rd gen hunts after this one. I mean, I have MANY 3rd gen hunts, but I don't really have the time to hunt/resume the hunts yet.
Think I'll resume my RE hunt in 4th gen instead. Take turn.

As a bonus, you can see the dead pixel line across the screen. Not sure how to get rid of it. Usually it disappears by itself. Any idea?

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Doubt: My game's battery (both sapphire and ruby) has dry out. Can I still do RE for shinies on it?

Dangertrout

Doubt: My game's battery (both sapphire and ruby) has dry out. Can I still do RE for shinies on it?

I was hoping someone else would answer this, because I'm not 100% sure on how the RNG in 3rd Gen works. I know SRing doesn't really work because the RNG will always start at the same place, and I believe that the string of numbers after it would always be the same as well. But the shiny frames would still be in there somewhere, it's just a question of if your first shiny is somewhere towards the front of the string or not. (and you'd have to not skip over it, things like walking x number of steps advances the frame)

I know you CAN get RE shinies with a dry battery, because I've done it on Sapphire. But I've always wondered if it was possible that some of my dead games had shiny frames so far off that it was unlikely I'd ever hit them without leaving my game on for days.
(And the RNGers cringe at my sad understanding of how RNG works :p )

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Only if you have a low shiny frame, then yes, it is possible. Otherwise, no, you can't.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
You may only post once per page. This is using the default 20 posts per page. If you use something else... either change it to view this thread or count by every 20 posts. Posting more than once per page for any reason will earn you an infraction.
This rule is being relaxed as a trial as per 5th and 4th gen threads. Don't spam and follow the other rules in the first post is all!

Shiny Supercow

S*ck My PokeBalls
After my battery died on Saphire, I encountered a shiny Hariyama a minute after I turned my game on. I was in victory road and my first encounter was a Wishmur and after him the shiny appeared. So I can assume that my shiny frame is at the very beginning?

Because I'm currently RE hunting and if this is true, I need to restart my game alot..

monkeyman192

simply bored
After my battery died on Saphire, I encountered a shiny Hariyama a minute after I turned my game on. I was in victory road and my first encounter was a Wishmur and after him the shiny appeared. So I can assume that my shiny frame is at the very beginning?

Because I'm currently RE hunting and if this is true, I need to restart my game alot..

yes you can...
if you post you TID and the IV's of that hariyama (including nature and gender) I might be able to tell you exactly what frame it occurred on...
if you don't know the IV's of it, if you haven't trained it at all, write down it's stats, then give it a rare candy and write down it's stats for each level here and I can calculate it :)

@ DuquÊ? and Dangertrout: yes, you can SR to get a shiny but the frame will always be at the same time, so it could be low like Shiny Supercow's appears to be, or it could be high.
If you are not against the idea of restarting your game to get yourself a specific shiny frame, then you can set exactly which frame you want shiny...

I am currently playing through sapphire getting as many shinys as possible, but once I have played through and got most (so prob in a few weeks) I will be restarting and replaying through and making a video walkthough to RNG-ing in ruby and sapphire :)

Status
Not open for further replies.