• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ [Read all of first post if you don't want an infraction]

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyman192

simply bored
Don't you need his SID to do that check for shiny frames aswell? Just curious...

yes, but I can guess it by making the assumption that the game was started relatively quickly (ie. you don't sit around waiting for ages to pick your name), and also that the game had a flat battery when it was started...

EmiiLava

Joltik Queen <3
yes, but I can guess it by making the assumption that the game was started relatively quickly (ie. you don't sit around waiting for ages to pick your name), and also that the game had a flat battery when it was started...

I have a dry ruby and 2 emerald so I was wondering how you know where the shiny frames are placed. I'm hoping to find out how, so I can help my friend get her shiny treecko.

monkeyman192

simply bored
I can only do ruby/sapphire... pm me your trainer ID and I will see what I can do.
Also, in about a week I will be making a tutorial video and putting it on youtube showing how to start the game and choose you TID/SID for R/S so that you get a specific shiny frame and I will show how to get the starter of your choice shiny... so if you just want to wait for that, that's fine :)

EmiiLava

Joltik Queen <3
I can only do ruby/sapphire... pm me your trainer ID and I will see what I can do.
Also, in about a week I will be making a tutorial video and putting it on youtube showing how to start the game and choose you TID/SID for R/S so that you get a specific shiny frame and I will show how to get the starter of your choice shiny... so if you just want to wait for that, that's fine :)

OK thx so much~! I'll be getting back my ruby soon anyway, so i'll definatly look into ur video once you post it :D

Savanny Killersaurus

In Another Castle
The only shinies I ever got on my Ruby were Zigzagoon and Linoone.
The first one I found was a Zigzagoon right outside of Verdanturf. I caught it (didn't even notice the sparkles), then looked at its stats and noticed it was a weird color and had a little red star.
I thought it was a glitch so I released it to keep my game from getting messed up. XD
Then I found a shiny Linoone immediately after capturing Latios. Lucky day!
I kept this shiny because I had since learned that shiny Pokémon were very rare and harmless. I trained it up and sent it to my Pearl when it came out. :)

bro

Cool story bro
I've gotten only one shiny in RSE, it was Oddish. Caught it in my Emerald, I was shocked when I found that green creature! I just had learned about shiny Pokemon and yeah it was awesome to actually find one! ;080;

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
A few minutes ago, I got my first shiny in LG, a sassy female ratata. I restarted my game and just start to level up a magikarp when I found that sparkling rat! It isn't my favorite shiny, but, hey, my first shiny in a gen III game in 7 years! ^^

Last edited:

El-Yanma

RNG enthusiast
Hi!

Was wondering if anyone knows when the spread for Latios/latias is selected in R/S? The messages that trigger them are different from the one in Emerald, which i have found information on, but not when you have to press A to hit the frame you want in R/S. Basically i want a shiny roamer from my sapphire and i know what frame i need to hit, just not when i need to make the "last input". And i know they have crappy IV:s but dont care, as i just want it shiny. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

LimeSoda

This Emerald shiny maniuplating stuff is crazy, can't believe I've never heard of it before. Got a shiny magnemite (now magneton) randomly on Sapphire about 7 hours in 2 weeks ago. Not the coolest looking sprite but is awesome still.

monkeyman192

simply bored
Hi!

Was wondering if anyone knows when the spread for Latios/latias is selected in R/S? The messages that trigger them are different from the one in Emerald, which i have found information on, but not when you have to press A to hit the frame you want in R/S. Basically i want a shiny roamer from my sapphire and i know what frame i need to hit, just not when i need to make the "last input". And i know they have crappy IV:s but dont care, as i just want it shiny. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

I am not sure, but I would say that it will be a complete pain to try and RNG a shiny lati@s in ruby or sapphire... I didn't bother with trying to RNG for them shiny...
Also, because they have rubbish IV's due to the way that they are generated, I would image that that would completely stuff up the shiny generation as well...
If you have already released it, I guess the best thing to do would be to experiment a bit. Catch it, see what it's IV's are, then restart and catch it again and see if they are the same, if not, well I guess it might be possible, but it is basically completely random whether you find one or not, so that would ruin the abaility to RNG them...

Shadow Dialga

Hi monkeyman192, my internal battery died for my Pokemon Sapphire died and I was wondering if I re-started my game would you PM me SID? Please. And my shiny frame for a shiny starter with a Rash nature?

BurningWhiteKyurem

Hi guys and girls,

I just have a question in regards to shiny hunting. My emerald's battery is dry for those that are wondering. Anyways, when Wattson asked me to turn off the New Mauville generator, I met a shiny Voltorb and successfully caught it (wild random encounter rather than Method 1). Now I'm wondering if I have a shiny frame enough to SR for shiny Rayquaza or not. Is there a way to find out? Or can I just Soft Reset for Rayquaza?

If not, I could probably pokecheck my Voltorb in order to find out SID and RNG for the Shiny Rayquaza (assuming it's possible).

gillbill

I have only recently started hunting shinies in the last 2 months on my fire red.... I got 2 in 3 days of SR'ing 1 was a hardy nature abra (very happy because I love them) in about 2700 encounters I then found a shiny dratini 2 days later in under 100 SR's (reclaims my bold nature 1 which I randomly got from SS Game corner what should I hunt for now? should I SR for another game corner shiny or go for RE shinies (I already have all legendaries)?

monkeyman192

simply bored
Hi guys and girls,

I just have a question in regards to shiny hunting. My emerald's battery is dry for those that are wondering. Anyways, when Wattson asked me to turn off the New Mauville generator, I met a shiny Voltorb and successfully caught it (wild random encounter rather than Method 1). Now I'm wondering if I have a shiny frame enough to SR for shiny Rayquaza or not. Is there a way to find out? Or can I just Soft Reset for Rayquaza?

If not, I could probably pokecheck my Voltorb in order to find out SID and RNG for the Shiny Rayquaza (assuming it's possible).

I'd pokecheck your voltorb and go for the RNG...

Scargonar

So far, all of my shinies were either randomly caught or traded to me, meaning I never really searched for them or bothered soft reseting.
I recently started a new game in my sapphire and I decided to go for the shiny Rayquaza (internal battery dead).
I read everywhere about the whole RNG thing but I just can't understand how it works. I don't even know what a shiny frame is etc.
I have done about 200+ SR with no luck, and I have one simple question.

Is there a chance that I will NEVER get the shiny Rayquaza because of the shiny frames etc or should I continue soft reseting and I will eventually get it.
I know this has been answered before but I want to make sure that I don't waste my time. (I have seen people get it though with 10k SR and dead battery)
My ID is 43216 if it means anything and I have no idea about my SID

monkeyman192

simply bored
So far, all of my shinies were either randomly caught or traded to me, meaning I never really searched for them or bothered soft reseting.
I recently started a new game in my sapphire and I decided to go for the shiny Rayquaza (internal battery dead).
I read everywhere about the whole RNG thing but I just can't understand how it works. I don't even know what a shiny frame is etc.
I have done about 200+ SR with no luck, and I have one simple question.

Is there a chance that I will NEVER get the shiny Rayquaza because of the shiny frames etc or should I continue soft reseting and I will eventually get it.
I know this has been answered before but I want to make sure that I don't waste my time. (I have seen people get it though with 10k SR and dead battery)
My ID is 43216 if it means anything and I have no idea about my SID

All of the SR-ing will never get you a shiny. However, assuming that you didn't dawdle when you started your game your SID is *probably* 63941
This gives you your first shiny frame at frame 6314.
Download a program called eontimer and put this number in under the 3rd gen tab. It will convert it to a time. I can't remember the exact time delay that rayquaza had, but I *think* it was negative which I remember being really weird.
Anyway, if you download RNG Reporter, use these parameters:
Method: Method 1
Max results: 600
Starting frame: 6000 (this and the above can be changed, but this just gives about 5s around your shiny frame. If you are further off than this then decrease starting frame and increase max results)
Seed: 5A0
ID: 43216, SID: 63941

Basically you want to SR start the game when you start the timer on eontimer and when it hits 0 hit A as close as possible. Catch rayquaza with a masterball (I hope you have one!) and then check it's IV's (you may need 1 or 2 rare candys to help). Once you have found out it's IV's, look around the shiny frame (6314 in the RNG reporter results) for the frame you hit. find the difference andmodify the frame you are trying to hit in eontimer byt his amount. Ie. if you are 10 frames early, add 10 frames to the eontimer number and go for that. Once you are hitting frames around the shiny one you won't need to keep checking the IV's and you can just keep SR-ing and pressing A at the specified time until your shiny rayquaza appears :D

Scargonar

All of the SR-ing will never get you a shiny. However, assuming that you didn't dawdle when you started your game your SID is *probably* 63941
This gives you your first shiny frame at frame 6314.
Download a program called eontimer and put this number in under the 3rd gen tab. It will convert it to a time. I can't remember the exact time delay that rayquaza had, but I *think* it was negative which I remember being really weird.
Anyway, if you download RNG Reporter, use these parameters:
Method: Method 1
Max results: 600
Starting frame: 6000 (this and the above can be changed, but this just gives about 5s around your shiny frame. If you are further off than this then decrease starting frame and increase max results)
Seed: 5A0
ID: 43216, SID: 63941

Basically you want to SR start the game when you start the timer on eontimer and when it hits 0 hit A as close as possible. Catch rayquaza with a masterball (I hope you have one!) and then check it's IV's (you may need 1 or 2 rare candys to help). Once you have found out it's IV's, look around the shiny frame (6314 in the RNG reporter results) for the frame you hit. find the difference andmodify the frame you are trying to hit in eontimer byt his amount. Ie. if you are 10 frames early, add 10 frames to the eontimer number and go for that. Once you are hitting frames around the shiny one you won't need to keep checking the IV's and you can just keep SR-ing and pressing A at the specified time until your shiny rayquaza appears :D

THANK YOU!!!!!! I finally got it. I also understood how RNG works, it was nothing hard really
thanks man. you're awesome !!!!

EDIT. I also hatched a shiny charmander while going for the 300 eggs sticker, this day couldn't be better !

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I had been soft resetting for a Shiny Regice for the past month and a half on Sapphire version, and I finally got it yesterday. Mostly I was just bored with the game and I wanted to try my luck at soft resetting in the Generation 3 games since it's something that I've only done a couple of times, and to be honest I wasn't as faithful to this hunt as I've been to others; I did about 8,000 soft resets in total, which isn't a lot in retrospect, but I'm glad that I got another Shiny Legendary Pokemon. The next step will be to transfer it to later games.

Hooligan

Shiny Hunter
Right now I am SR'ing in LG for a stationary legendary and I am using a naive synchronizer as my lead. Does that affect the odds of finding a shiny?
I am grateful for any information one may have.

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
^No it will not. In LG, the nature of your lead will not affect the nature that the Pokemon you find will have. Nature synch- was introduced first in Emerald. Good luck with finding that shiny anyway, I found the Gen I remakes pretty much a shiny trove in our family.

Anyway, no updates from me at all, it's been a few months since my last Gen III shiny...

Status
Not open for further replies.