• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ [Read all of first post if you don't want an infraction]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSparky1

I remember my first shiny; an Oddish. I was in the route with the Cycling Road in Emerald where you fight May also, and I went into a wild battle. It was an Oddish... but something was wrong... It wasn't blue, it was green... and it sparkled. I thought, "What the...? Is this a hack?" I've never heard about shinies before so I thought it didn't matter as much. I threw a ball, and guess what?! I caught it! Years later, Oddish is still in my PC. I don't know when I'll transfer it. :3

makenshi_au

Experienced Trainer
Can Jirachi from Pokemon Channel ever be shiny just want to know for certin to many sites say yes or no if anyone can help would be great.

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
I started a BQ in my Firered and I'm hunting for my first target, Squirtle and I'm at 340 SR's. Good luck to everyone else too! EDIT: I just got three females in a row!
~RaichuArcanine~​

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
R/S/E Successful Shinies!

Hey All!

I've been poking around the R/S/E Threads for a while now, but I cannot seem to find a Thread DEDICATED to Shinies (So 'Recent Happenings' doesn't count) anywhere for these games!

I mean, we have a 'Shiny Pokemon Failures' Thread, so why not have a 'Successful Shiny Thread'?

So anyway, come here to talk about your Shiny Hunts/Encounters and Good Luck on all your Hunts!

Last edited:

ashiemore

Only successful shiny on RSE: Poochyena. I know. I really don't have the time to go searching for something that's a 1/8192 chance, so I just take what I get.

~ashiemore

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Hey ashiemore!

I think 1/8192 Shinies are the best, you don't expect them and they could be anything (providing you don't SR).
Look at it this way, you already have more 3rd Gen Shinies than me! ;)

Kalosian

So long
My successful shinies in R/S/E was a Duskull in Ruby as well as Poochyena, Oddish, Whismur and Spinda in Emerald. Never got one in Sapphire. Or through breeding either, all of them were random encounters.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Wow Winter02!

You have gotten so many Shinies! I wish I had luck like yours!

I am going to try and get myself a Shiny Registeel soon via SR! ;)

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm afraid we already have a thread for shiny discussion in 3rd gen games... as there's a few posts already I'll just merge it for you.

ShinyGoogleplex

Guess who!?
Repeated Posting from Subforum I'm Usually at.

And first off I don't like the idea nor practice RNGing myself, and yet I'm facing a dilemma that ups my respect for those that do it and it requires ASAP attention.
I'll copy/paste this to three other threads to hit the proper one handling this situation of mine and to abide by forum rules.

It's on a burned-out (dry battery) Sapphire, I was planning on just doing a 'fun' playthrough not taking more details seriously, with a hopeful chance of (E) encountering nice moment shinies.

Yet I had thought of this theory of Saving at a stationary each time I first power-on my GBA and Save after a soft reset, as a way of building up the time letting seconds go by, I called it a step-by-step ladder method because I was Saving and time was going by even on this dry game.

I wasn't doing this a few minutes ago of this writing and was just playing thru when I found a very, very, early shiny Zigzagoon above Oldale, at a part of the game I'm not carrying Poke balls but I'm so excited just knowing that I have a great early shiny frame ID number (I saved this good ID number and before I selected a starter! I'm saved at 3 minutes about to go out the professor's House.). I won't update my save just yet, even to maybe bring me closer in passed time to the Treeko I do want now.

I'm real happy 'bout this and I know my desired shiny Treeko must be somewhere in the 2 hour (tops!) timeframe. I've been trying to click on him at different intervals of time but this is hard, every micro-second.

That footprint fossil guy hasn't moved yet so I'm thinking those further doorways to thousands of more frames not opened yet is good and will limit where the wonderful shiny frame pops at it's pre-set, designated time (2 hours hopefully, no more.). Where the Zigzagoon was was on the top grass patch of two grass patches that's left to the guy beside water on Route (103?), where you also find Wingulls. It was around the playtime of 18-19 minutes. When I saw that orange Zigzagoon I knew what it meant, that I have a very early ID number for shinies between those two routes and that I can go for Treecko at the correct givin' time.

I'm calling to RNG experts to please help me determine when shiny Treecko, or any starter, will take place. My Trainer ID number which I've been referring to is: 58455.

Around what minute (if determined) would a shiny starter appear? Please assist.

Also it was hard to reset on that orange Zigzagoon, but I had no balls anyway and I know what frame it was & around what time it was when it happened. I could go get him again, but I want a starter. Treecko shiny in particular.

Psychic

Really and truly
Oh my goodness I literally just caught my first legit Shiny Pokemon in 10 years.

I was grinding a bit in Sapphire, only half paying attention to the game while watching Youtube. I then noticed the Zigzagoon I had encountered had a funny colour. I wasn't sure whether or not it was Shiny, so I figured I'd just switch to my Manectric, paralyze it and catch it anyway, just in case. I considered using an attack on it, but decided it was too risky. I caught it on my first Great Ball, and my heart was hammering as I headed back to the PC in the Weather Institute to confirm my suspicion.

I haven't found a wild Shiny Pokemon since Gen 2! I am very excited to transfer him to my White 2. :D

~Psychic

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
I'll remember this day. I had a good day with my LeafGreen, I just caught a Shiny Staryu near Cinnabar. This was unexpected as I had just selected the super rod by accident. I lost my save file years ago with another shiny staryu in it, which means this newly caught staryu is but a little "resurrection" of it.

AEFLJNFDLHTD;HKGNFLBLJFS;ISGHN~!!!!!!!

AFTER 13340 SR GUESS WHAT APPEARED..
HINT: YOU SEE 2 POKEMON, SO I SAW 26680 POKEMON OVERALL.

*theres no spoiler tag* :/

SHINY TORCHIC!!!!

*Uploading pictures has changed around here since I got a shiny..*
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae93/Ceecee-typhlosion/f2ccfa65-9b62-4c2a-8063-ea334e9686ff.jpg
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae93/Ceecee-typhlosion/fcc55b36-3c07-4b39-b111-98824209e272.jpg

It only took me 5 years..

85 SR into a new file. 841 on that game overall.. now I just have games that have over 8000 SR without a shiny to show for it :/ (Originally I was only hunting on one game, then gradually added as I got more annoyed)

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
After my sassy shiny ratata, I finally got my second shiny on Leaf Green: Natu! Female, lax, caught in a master ball (since natu can use teleport, I freaked out and threw a master ball right away, but, who cares?). Second shiny achieved! Still hunting for the shiny horsea!

Last edited:

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
And first off I don't like the idea nor practice RNGing myself, and yet I'm facing a dilemma that ups my respect for those that do it and it requires ASAP attention.
I'll copy/paste this to three other threads to hit the proper one handling this situation of mine and to abide by forum rules.

It's on a burned-out (dry battery) Sapphire, I was planning on just doing a 'fun' playthrough not taking more details seriously, with a hopeful chance of (E) encountering nice moment shinies.

Yet I had thought of this theory of Saving at a stationary each time I first power-on my GBA and Save after a soft reset, as a way of building up the time letting seconds go by, I called it a step-by-step ladder method because I was Saving and time was going by even on this dry game.

I wasn't doing this a few minutes ago of this writing and was just playing thru when I found a very, very, early shiny Zigzagoon above Oldale, at a part of the game I'm not carrying Poke balls but I'm so excited just knowing that I have a great early shiny frame ID number (I saved this good ID number and before I selected a starter! I'm saved at 3 minutes about to go out the professor's House.). I won't update my save just yet, even to maybe bring me closer in passed time to the Treeko I do want now.

I'm real happy 'bout this and I know my desired shiny Treeko must be somewhere in the 2 hour (tops!) timeframe. I've been trying to click on him at different intervals of time but this is hard, every micro-second.

That footprint fossil guy hasn't moved yet so I'm thinking those further doorways to thousands of more frames not opened yet is good and will limit where the wonderful shiny frame pops at it's pre-set, designated time (2 hours hopefully, no more.). Where the Zigzagoon was was on the top grass patch of two grass patches that's left to the guy beside water on Route (103?), where you also find Wingulls. It was around the playtime of 18-19 minutes. When I saw that orange Zigzagoon I knew what it meant, that I have a very early ID number for shinies between those two routes and that I can go for Treecko at the correct givin' time.

I'm calling to RNG experts to please help me determine when shiny Treecko, or any starter, will take place. My Trainer ID number which I've been referring to is: 58455.

Around what minute (if determined) would a shiny starter appear? Please assist.

Also it was hard to reset on that orange Zigzagoon, but I had no balls anyway and I know what frame it was & around what time it was when it happened. I could go get him again, but I want a starter. Treecko shiny in particular.

Hey I had a little trouble disseminating your post but from what gather you're. Using the game's playtime counter to determine your shiny frame. That's a unique method, it'll give you a range but not an absolute time for your frame.

And there's no way of determining the time that your shiny starter would appear... you could try choosing your starter after 3-4 minutes have past (so at times in between 3-4 minutes inclusive) but that's a very time consuming method and has a high a mount of error so it's unlikely to work unless you get pretty lucky.

My advice would be to restart the save file and save before you choose Treecko. Then SR and immediately choose Treecko. In other words, as soon as you SR pump that A button until you get a shiny. If this doesn't work after 500-600 SRs restart your file and rinse and repeat. I say 500-600 because this means if you have an early frame around 19-22 seconds you are likely to hit this frame if you SR 500-600 times on that file. Even more encouraging is that of you find the Pokémon attacking Prof. Birch is shiny, KEEP THAT SAVE FILE, and keep soft resetting. This because the opponent is generated slightly before/after (can't remember) the starter. This requires a ton of patience , since that early a frame may not roll around for ages.

The more sure fire way is to get someone to determine your SID for you by quoting your ID. They'll the use an AReplay to find your SID. Then you can use the method a couple of posts above to find the frame. If you find a desirable one keep the file; if not restart and get your SID again. I don't really condone this action since it requires you use an external device on your game, and I'd your Pokémorals don't comply with this then that sweet.

Okay that's me. I hope that helped somewhat. If you're interested I have never RNG'd a shiny, but I have found a RE shiny and used that to find my SID accurately and so I am able to use the RNG Reporter to find mu first shiny frame, which for me is around 6:36:24 or whatever. I tried really close and got really close (within 20 frames if I remember right).

SpoinkyPearl

I haven't found a single shiny in my Emerald or Sapphire but in my FireRed I had super luck few years ago. I was still playing my old file and breeding and hatching Eevees to transfer into my Diamond. And one of them was shiny! I had never had shiny before so I was super happy and I was even more happy because I got Eevee which is one of my fav Pokémon. I transferred it to Diamond and I choose to transform it to Glaceon because shiny Glaceon is much more nice looking than original and (to me) best looking shiny Eeveelution alongside shiny Umbreon.

Later I transferred it to my Platinum because I started a new game in Diamond and now it is at Lv 60.

Since my last post..
YAY!!

27165 bought.

....then I got this :(

Mew_is_awesome

shiny hunter
OMFG!! I was soft reseting for a shiny rayquaza on my emerald and after 83 srs I got one, quickest hunt ever!! Still can't believe how fast I got it, I began soft reseting for it today and in about 30 minutes a shiny rayquaza appeared! Haven't felt this happy in a long time.

ShinyGoogleplex

Guess who!?
Hey I had a little trouble disseminating your post but from what gather you're. Using the game's playtime counter to determine your shiny frame. That's a unique method, it'll give you a range but not an absolute time for your frame.

And there's no way of determining the time that your shiny starter would appear... you could try choosing your starter after 3-4 minutes have past (so at times in between 3-4 minutes inclusive) but that's a very time consuming method and has a high a mount of error so it's unlikely to work unless you get pretty lucky.

My advice would be to restart the save file and save before you choose Treecko. Then SR and immediately choose Treecko. In other words, as soon as you SR pump that A button until you get a shiny. If this doesn't work after 500-600 SRs restart your file and rinse and repeat. I say 500-600 because this means if you have an early frame around 19-22 seconds you are likely to hit this frame if you SR 500-600 times on that file. Even more encouraging is that of you find the Pokémon attacking Prof. Birch is shiny, KEEP THAT SAVE FILE, and keep soft resetting. This because the opponent is generated slightly before/after (can't remember) the starter. This requires a ton of patience , since that early a frame may not roll around for ages.

The more sure fire way is to get someone to determine your SID for you by quoting your ID. They'll the use an AReplay to find your SID. Then you can use the method a couple of posts above to find the frame. If you find a desirable one keep the file; if not restart and get your SID again. I don't really condone this action since it requires you use an external device on your game, and I'd your Pokémorals don't comply with this then that sweet.

Okay that's me. I hope that helped somewhat. If you're interested I have never RNG'd a shiny, but I have found a RE shiny and used that to find my SID accurately and so I am able to use the RNG Reporter to find mu first shiny frame, which for me is around 6:36:24 or whatever. I tried really close and got really close (within 20 frames if I remember right).

I settled on a shiny poochyena where zigzagoon was before at a 19 minute mark. I found shiny sandshrew at the 95:33 mark in the desert. I powered off and went back two hours where my last save was. In these two hours I'm attempting a (for now) secret project until it's time to get a desert shiny @ 95:33. If the secret project works out at some point, this theory is then tried and true. A few posts below the 'good file' advice you gave me seemed to happen to another. I hope that person is hanging on to that file and keeps on chuggin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.