• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

3rd Gen Shiny Discussion/FAQ [Read all of first post if you don't want an infraction]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Last Jedi

Stalling is Cowardly
Not trying to go off topic or anything if I do I'm sorry but the only shiny I ever caught in emerald was the shiny ralts at the beginning of the game, I tried to SR but still no luck after about 100 tries but I decided to just be happy with my shiny ralts in the end.

Shiny Rokon

my internal battery has run dry in ruby, will shiny pokemon still appear and can i soft reset for shinys?

ShinyGoogleplex

Guess who!?
my internal battery has run dry in ruby, will shiny pokemon still appear and can i soft reset for shinys?

Yes shinies are going to appear. They're in a 'fixed' location by the times so still invisible to PokeMorals. :) I won't cheat on a shiny frame but when I know where one is and what time (very delicate) it appears, I may try to get another natured one. I have one in Emerald 'waiting' for me in the desert, so I have 4 species to choose from. Sandshrew, Trappinch, Baltoy, & Cacnea.

On the last part of your question, probably only a time maneuvering method will work. I'm doing like a "save by the minute" method to let time pass by. There is no 'blind shiny' when you're constantly at the same save on a stationary or a gift pokemon. Best thing to do is GO DO Something, and try some more later. And lastly the only drawback with how I'm doing this is if I miss that split-second shiny at my spot and I've moved on thru saving. But no way to tell if you're doing it legit. It would still be possible to get that same-spot shiny after missed, cause it would be on a rotation basis. It just may take another 900 hours til you get it. About the most impossible shinies are the Latis. I'd suggest having a fresh Ruby & Sapphire to get those, or battery replace you're cartridge BUT get any shinies out of there onto a DS game cause it will erase and start over.

Shiny Rokon

thank you so much for that, now i've just got latios to catch, does the internal battery effect that? and any tips on catching it :) does it work like in g/s/c with entei and co. where once you see it, it appears on the map and you can just walk on and off a particular route until it appears back on that route? and wear it down bit by bit?

xKatie0391

Copied from the official shiny thread

Oh my gosh! I've just found a random shiny Whismur on Emerald! :O I was only looking for a Skitty to catch!

That was so unexpected! I saw the green ears coming across the screen and thought "No way!" Dunno whether to have her as a team member or not.

Last edited:

Magiclapras

Dragon Goddess Flyder
Got me a shiny Illumise on Emerald today while level grinding for Trainer Hill.

Blue_Ringed_Umbreon

Egg Count: 326
So, Father's Day proved great for me, as I caught a Shiny Golbat in Meteor Falls!!! Some points for consideration, though:
My Ruby cart is "dry".
Its the first Shiny I have on that cart.
Game time was approx 26hrs at point of capture.

I played through it all day without turning it off, starting from the New Mauville quest, through to beating the 8th gym (including capturing Groudon), specifically to shiny hunt for Bagon. 11 encounters after I beat Wallace, Golbat showed up. I also had to fight Groudon twice, as I forgot to save in front of him, and he knocked out my team.
Questions:
So, does this mean that I have a really, really, really late shiny frame?
Would I potentially have to play through another day, in order to land on my shiny frame?
Would the frame have been advanced due to the dialogue between NPCs, as per the story? (And thus effectively, approx double my "all day for a shiny frame" time?).
And lastly, if my late shiny frame theory is correct, in order to "SR" for Rayquaza, would this mean that I'd have to play through a day, then initiate battle to be a chance of having Rayquaza shine?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I need to start hunting for a Sableye and Mawile reclaim.

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
So, Father's Day proved great for me, as I caught a Shiny Golbat in Meteor Falls!!! Some points for consideration, though:
My Ruby cart is "dry".
Its the first Shiny I have on that cart.
Game time was approx 26hrs at point of capture.

I played through it all day without turning it off, starting from the New Mauville quest, through to beating the 8th gym (including capturing Groudon), specifically to shiny hunt for Bagon. 11 encounters after I beat Wallace, Golbat showed up. I also had to fight Groudon twice, as I forgot to save in front of him, and he knocked out my team.
Questions:
Would I potentially have to play through another day, in order to land on my shiny frame?
Would the frame have been advanced due to the dialogue between NPCs, as per the story? (And thus effectively, approx double my "all day for a shiny frame" time?).
And lastly, if my late shiny frame theory is correct, in order to "SR" for Rayquaza, would this mean that I'd have to play through a day, then initiate battle to be a chance of having Rayquaza shine?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I need to start hunting for a Sableye and Mawile reclaim.

Yes and no. You can have more than one shiny frame. Some may take hours to roll around (which may be your case), or some can happen just after you load the game. It's pretty much random (hence RNG). To answer your question more directly, have have at least one relatively late frame, but that sure as heck doesn't mean you have much earlier ones.

As above, so no. If you wanted to get a shiny with the Golbat's IVs, nature, Hidden POwer etc. you would have to wait for that frame to roll around, but there are other (hopefully) much earlier frames that you have.

As far as I understand, no. Think of the advancing frames like time on a everlasting stopwatch. Every couple of split seconds, a new frame is generated. Talking to NPCs logically shouldn't alter the frames.

As above again, so no. My advice would be to look at Smogon's RNG guides if you're still unsure. Though I think the link for their IV to PID applet is no longer available, I've been trying again after a couple of years to RNG and foolishly forgot to note down my SID. Hopefully my explanation was of help to you :)

thefirstcarter

Dragon Tamer
questions.

i'm doing a hunt for shiny mudkip on a dry ruby cart. I've seen multiple sources telling me that a dry cart's rng acts the same as emeralds. however, I believe this to be false. the reason being, I had one grouping of females (about 6 or 7) where I was hitting about the same frame (approximately, i'm judging based on when the game boots up) and they all had different natures. but if it worked the same as emerald, wouldn't they be rng clones? I understand that there are 60 frames I could possibly be hitting, but I was basically just button mashing at the same rate each time I soft reset. is it possible that a dry r/s cart is still completely random? or am I wrong??

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
questions.

i'm doing a hunt for shiny mudkip on a dry ruby cart. I've seen multiple sources telling me that a dry cart's rng acts the same as emeralds. however, I believe this to be false. the reason being, I had one grouping of females (about 6 or 7) where I was hitting about the same frame (approximately, i'm judging based on when the game boots up) and they all had different natures. but if it worked the same as emerald, wouldn't they be rng clones? I understand that there are 60 frames I could possibly be hitting, but I was basically just button mashing at the same rate each time I soft reset. is it possible that a dry r/s cart is still completely random? or am I wrong??

It's just you mate. When the battery runs dry, your essentially have Emerald's RNG on your Ruby. You may think your hitting the same frame each time, but you most likely aren't, simply because of human error.

Blazing Charmander

I've been reminiscing about my personal tales involving Shiny Pokemon recently, and the 3rd Gen has proven to be a very mixed bag as far as encounters are concerned. Hoenn hasn't been a happy hunting ground at all for me unfortunately, as I have not seen a single Shiny on Ruby or Emerald over the past ten years. FireRed is a different story though, having bumped into a handful on that game - then again, not every encounter has been a success story:

• Gloom: This was my first Shiny encounter since Gen 2, so I was obviously shocked when I ran into him on Two Island's cape. Gloom became a member of my Hall of Fame team and later evolved into Bellossom before being migrated to Diamond a few years later.
  • Kakuna: This is a huge contrast to the success story of catching Gloom. I had restarted my file and reached Viridian Forest only to run into a green coloured Kakuna without carrying any Poke Balls!! That experience was a harsh learning curve which has led to me ensuring that I always have enough Poke Balls in my inventory at all times.
  • Nidoran M: A few years after the disappointment of missing out on Kakuna, I was hunting for Chansey in the Safari Zone on a new file. Before I had any success in catching one, a blue Nidoran M showed up. I was only brave enough to throw one rock at it before chucking Safari Balls in the hope of catching it. Fate being as cruel as it is, the Nidoran fled after breaking out of a ball that shook three times.
  • Growlithe: On yet another new file, I unexpectedly found this little guy in the Pokemon Mansion on Cinnabar Island. Thankfully I was armed with plenty of Poke Balls this time, and after some training he is now a beautiful Arcanine that resides on my SoulSilver file.

Arcanine is the only one of those Shinies that I still have after I made the stupid decision of overwriting the Diamond file containing my Bellossom a few years ago. I can't wait to be able to transfer him to X and Y via Pokemon Bank in December so that he can be seen in full 3D.

Last edited:

Tyrantrum

I've gotten two wild shinies in Generation 3. Both were in different playthroughs of Fire-red. My first was a Shiny Onix in Rock Tunnel that I captured. (Later ported to My diamond via Pal Park). Second was a shiny Raticate in Victory Road? I think that was where it was. Both shinies were found in the wild as random events and successfully captured.

Oh, and a long time ago I ran into a shiny feebas on my sapphire but ran out of pokeballs and had to faint it.

Tyrantrum

I have three shinies caught from my fire-red. Shiny Onix, Shiny Steelix, and Shiny raticate. Actually it was two shiny onixes, but I evolved one so I wouldn't have doubles.

bonus41

Shiny Eevee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend went to pick up the free Eevee in LG and without expecting it it was a shiny :D He wasn't even SF for a shiny just got it first try!!!

I traded him my Masuda'ed bred shiny Houndour for it :D

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
That;s lucky of him, and I suppose in proxy you too since you traded for it.

I'll just merge your thread with the 3rd gen shiny Pokémon thread sticky over in the General Discussion section for older Pokémon games.

Dedenne1

6th generation lover
There were 3 for me and 1 i kinda caught and the other i got not to far into my adventure. The first was the Poocheyna you run into on the first route in hoenn I was so mad i couldn't catch it! The second i found out later in the game. When I evolved my combusken into a Blaziken i looked for a good set of moves I could teach it i noticed that it was different from the normal color and poof! Shiny Blaziken id had one all along! The third i was in the safari zone i beleive I was riding the Acro bike and I couldn't find a heracross i found 1 but it ran away from me :(. But literally. 26 minutes later a pink 1 appeared idk how i caught it but I did and now it's safely in my xy game!

Status
Not open for further replies.