• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4Kids will be dubbing the "Yu-Gi-Oh!" special and . . .

Vernikova

Champion
They're doing a whole lot more things too.

They've aquired a new animé, probably more to come as well, and will also be rebranding this fall. It's also been said that 4Sight may be the ones controlling the property as well.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-03-17/4kids-reports-us$21-million-loss-in-4th-quarter

The American licensing and distribution company 4Kids Entertainment released its report for the quarter ending December 31 and for the 2009 calendar year on Tuesday.

The company reported a net loss for the quarter ending December 31 of approximately US$21.3 million, compared to a net loss of US$19.6 million for the same quarter in 2008. The company posted a net loss for the 2009 calendar year of US$42 million, compared to a net loss of US$36.8 million for the 2008 calendar year. Net revenue for the quarter was approximately US$17 million, compared to US$12.8 million during the same quarter in 2008. Net revenue for the calendar year was approximately $36.7 million, compared to $57.2 million for 2008, a decrease of $20.4 million. Worldwide revenue for the Shaman King property was down US$0.4 million specifically. International broadcast sales for Yu-Gi-Oh! decreased to $0.5 million, but international broadcast sales for Dinosaur King increased to $0.8 million.

Bruce Foster, Chief Financial Officer of the company, said that the loss is attributed to "different accounting treatments with regard to advertising revenue under our agreement with The CW" television network, as well as decreased international broadcast sales from many of its franchises and the diminished popularity of the Chaotic franchise. There was a US$20 million impairment charge related to the Chaotic franchise

During 4Kids' quarterly conference call, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Alfred Kahn said that "this has been a hideous year for 4Kids and for our shareholders and for our employees." The company's workforce has been reduced by more than 50 percent from 223 employees to 111 employees since December 2008. Kahn said that 4Kids has "emerged from a perfect storm as a smaller, leaner and more focused company." He also personally apologized to the shareholders for the past three years, and said that he is "looking at strategic opportunities for the company, which could incorporate a number of variables, including capital infusion … a takeover or a sale or some types of mergers."

Kahn noted that "4Kids needs to return to its roots as a licensing and merchandising company [that] specializes in bringing wonderful Japanese programming and merchandising to the rest of the world." Kahn added that the company will be producing very little animated series on its own because it is much more costly than bringing over a Japanese franchise, even with the costs of dubbing, and so the "overall risk reward ratio is much more favorable."

Kahn said he has worked closely with his partners in Japan over the past year and a half, and on Monday the company signed an agreement for a "very important Japanese property" that the company will announce in the next few days. Kahn also said that they are rebranding the 4Kids TV network for the fall season with new series, with a number of the new series being "substantial Japanese hits."

Kahn noted that Yu-Gi-Oh! sales are remaining constant, and it "continues to be a mainstream of our licensing business." Kahn noted that they are participating in a brand new Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D movie.

4Kids' past and current anime licenses have included Pokémon, One Piece, Tokyo Mew Mew, Kirby: Right Back At Ya!, Sonic X, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Shaman King, and Dinosaur King.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
They willl destroy it like anything else.

Gentleman Skeleton

Eh, they probably got Fairy Tail, and nothing of value was lost.

It would be hilarious if they managed to get Reborn as well. I'd love to hear the fangirl squeels of displeasure.

mockingjay

swift and lol
are they dubbing the movie with the three main characters? cause i'm really looking forward to it, and yu-gi-oh is one of those anime that i don't wanna watch in subs.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Interesting to see that they will in fact be dubbing the Yugioh Special. I wouldn't have thought they'd do that because they've been quite inconsistent lately. What with them deciding not to dub the 4th season of Yugioh GX and all.

Wonder what new anime they're going to dub.

Last edited:

ForeverFlame

I think Fairy Tail would be an appropriate Anime for them to dub. I don't think anyone cares about that disappointment, so they would be free to do whatever they like with it.

pokemonmasterhustler

Pokemon Master
No! Their going to crop the special so much it'll go from an hour for 25 minutes! The Horror T_T

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
No! Their going to crop the special so much it'll go from an hour for 25 minutes! The Horror T_T
Unless they will keep violence scenes, you are right.
Wonder what new anime they're going to dub.
same here.
are they dubbing the movie with the three main characters? cause i'm really looking forward to it, and yu-gi-oh is one of those anime that i don't wanna watch in subs.
Probably yes, like the second movie of Yu-Gi-Oh, but we need to wait and see.

Giratina!

Backstreet's back
Well, now I know that there will be more demand for subbed versions of the movie now that people are going to refuse the monstrosity that is 4Kids' dubbing process.

Though is it possible that this money loss has sobered them up and they're actually planning on dubbing it accurately? Not likely, but we can hope.

I've never read or seen Fairy Tail. Yeehaw.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Ugh. Finish GX first.

Haha, I thought I was the only one who appreciated GX :p

I do love that the Yugioh Movie/Special will be dubbed since it means we'll see Yugi (Atem, Pharaoh, the artist formally known as Pharaoh, etc) again. And Jaden. I'm not 100% thrilled about 4Kids dubbing another anime since they don't exactly do a great job with some of them.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
You know Reborn and fairy tail wouldn't be a bad dub to do for them. Besides I rather enjoyed the fairy tail anime...

Gentleman Skeleton

You know Reborn and fairy tail wouldn't be a bad dub to do for them. Besides I rather enjoyed the fairy tail anime...

Well, I only mention Reborn because secretly I'm a robot powered solely by the tears of fangirls. Don't think it would work too well honestly, especially when the bullets start to fly. However Fairy Tail would work for them, and I care about that series too little to honestly give a rat's ass who does anything with it. It's a win-win.

SmartD

Interesting. I wonder what anime will it be. I can't wait to see the new Yu-Gi-Oh! movie.

Ambri

~Draco Rex~
A new Yu-Gi-Oh! movie IS awesome...but I guess this will be one to watch subbed since 4-Kids like to cut content and they don't always have the best voice actors >_< I'm looking at you Sonic X and One Piece...

ForeverFlame

4Kids-dubbed Reborn? HELL YES. I would love to see the fangirls' reaction to that. Especially if 4Kids takes out all of the Ho Yay and changes a few genders along the way.

Shugo Chara would be pretty appropriate for 4Kids to dub, but the fanboys would probably break out into crazy spasms if that were ever to happen.

(Notice how the shonen series has mainly fangirls and the shojo series has mainly fanboys? There's something up with Western fans...)

ijea4444

From what I hear K-on already got their own dubber right? I would hate to see 4kids try to dub K-on in attempt to get to its huge fanbase.

Vernikova

Champion
Has anyone ever heard of Tai Chi Chasers before? I haven't.

Cast picture

Logo picture

4Kids To Debut Tai Chi Chasers at MIPTV 2010
By Rick DeMott | Monday, March 22, 2010 at 11:12 am | AWN News
Posted In | News Categories: Anime, Television | Geographic Region: All | Site Categories: 2D, Anime, Television

Press Release from 4Kids

NEW YORK (March 22, 2010) – 4Kids Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: KDE), a global provider of children's entertainment, has set MIP-TV 2010 to offer for license up to 39 all-new half-hour episodes of “Tai Chi Chasers,” a popular fantasy adventure series, it was announced today by Brian Lacey, Executive Vice President, International.

“Tai Chi Chasers” represents the newest original Japanese animé kids’ series, which 4Kids Entertainment will adapt and launch worldwide (excluding Asia) since the 2008 debut of its successful “Dinosaur King” series, now broadcast in over 90 countries.

A distinctive combination of traditional cel and CGI animation, “Tai Chi Chasers” focuses on Rai, a young orphan, shocked to discover he’s a secret descendent of the Tigeroids: an ancient race of peaceful beings locked in struggle with the ruthless and cunning Dragonoids. In a parallel universe called Suhn, the Tigeroids and Dragonoids are locked in an age-old race to recover 500 lost tai chi symbols. Whoever recovers these precious and potent symbols will possess the ultimate power to rule their realm…and destroy their enemies. Rai must now hone his innate tai chi card skills to fight the Dragonoids, find the lost symbols and battle to become one of the champion Tai Chi Chasers.

“Tai Chi Chasers” will be available for airing in the fourth quarter of 2011 in all markets excluding Asia.

“In this competitive global TV market, we understand the broadcasters’ need to offer compelling kids’ programming that sets them apart,” said Lacey. “From ‘Pokémon’ to ‘Yu-Gi-Oh!” and “Dinosaur King”’ 4Kids has established a solid track record of filling that need over the past decade, and we’re confident that ‘Tai Chi Chasers’ will continue in this successful tradition.”

At MIP-TV, 4Kids Entertainment will be located at booth # R32.24.

About 4Kids Entertainment, Inc.
With U.S. headquarters in New York City, regional offices for its trading card business in San Diego, California and international offices in London, 4Kids Entertainment, Inc. (NYSE: KDE) is a global organization devoted to the creation, development, production, broadcasting, distribution, licensing and manufacturing of children’s entertainment products.

Through its subsidiaries, 4Kids produces animated television series and films, distributes 4Kids’ produced or licensed animated television series for the domestic and international television and home video markets, licenses merchandising rights worldwide to 4Kids’ owned or represented properties, operates Web sites to support 4Kids’ owned or represented properties, and produces and markets collectible trading card games. Additionally, the Company programs and sells the national advertising time in “TheCW4Kids,” a five-hour Saturday morning block on The CW Television Network.

Additional information is available on the www.4KidsEntertainment.com corporate web site and at the www.4Kids.tv game station site.

So this is what 4Kids is relying on.