• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh rights terminated; 4Kids sued for fraud

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
This is karma for the One Piece dub.

YO! Yayoyaoh I'm dreaming, 4kids is sinking, I'm dreaming, 4Kids keep sinking, I'm dreaming, 4Kids don't stop sinking... I can't go on anymore.

I can't believe that horrible rap opening is still remembered by me. Excuse me while I listen to We Are to clear my head.

YES! I freaking hated that pathethic excuse of a dub.

And, oh god that opening...

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Didn't Digimon help as well or am I way off the mark.

Make anime widespread? As far as I know, it may have left an impression, but it wasn't as popular, even though it still did well here. Blame FoxKids or whoever it was that dubbed Digimon for being just as bad if not worse than 4KIDS.

Mainly it's through the gift of marketing that something becomes a big hit, but Digimon has always been marked as a rival with Pokémon. And that's usually all people remember about Digimon is that they're knock-offs of Pokémon. But I'm not an expert at this, so I probably shouldn't have opened my mouth (figuratively speaking) about this.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Blame FoxKids or whoever it was that dubbed Digimon for being just as bad if not worse than 4KIDS.

Digimon was dubbed by Saban Entertainment and unlike 4Kids Saban kept it closed to the Japanese version with the names of the DigiDestined or were shortened to Americanized nicknames same with the Digimon. Hell they kept the location based in Japan and kept 90% of the scripts which was rare back in the 90 especially for a children cartoon. And this something that 4Kids would never do in a million Years.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Digimon was dubbed by Saban Entertainment and unlike 4Kids Saban kept it closed to the Japanese version with the names of the DigiDestined or were shortened to Americanized nicknames same with the Digimon. Hell they kept the location based in Japan and kept 90% of the scripts which was rare back in the 90 especially for a children cartoon. And this something that 4Kids would never do in a million Years.

Well yeah, but the dialogue itself is laughable at times, and they took out scenes that are "violent" or "traumatizing to kids", like Wizardmon's death. Heck, they never even used the word "die" when it came to Digimon. Myotismon in the original version killed Pumpkinmon and Gotsumon, but in the dub it was said they were sent to the dungeons.

And don't forget the movie. Now THAT was terrible.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
Make anime widespread? As far as I know, it may have left an impression, but it wasn't as popular, even though it still did well here. Blame FoxKids or whoever it was that dubbed Digimon for being just as bad if not worse than 4KIDS.

Wha!! The Digimon dub was amazingly well done for back then. They even said that the kids lived in Japan (something which was "taboo" back then) and the names of the kids were very similar to the original: Taichi became Tai, Yamato became Matt, and Sora became...Sora!

Chris

Old Coot
Save for the puns, changed music and dancing around the subject of death, Digimon was pretty damn close to its original format. Just the fact that they kept everything located in Japan, along with Japanese names (for the most part) kept intact was mind-boggling. The only other dub I can think of that was on Saturday mornings that was closer to the original was Robotech's Macross saga. Save for the whole thing being three god damn different anime series' spliced together and music being changed, Robotech and Digimon were the closest you could get to a near perfect dub that aired on broadcast stations on Saturday mornings.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Okay, I'll give it that, but the dub is still silly, at least with Digimon Adventure and Zero Two. They got better with it by Digimon Tamers, even though I unfortunately don't remember much about it except that I knew it was hard to follow. I love Digimon, I really do, it's just that I find it hard to watch the English dub knowing that it was made a little more suitable for kids. Granted, it's a kid's show, but even with its talk of death and other taboos it was still for kids, but it at least expanded to a bigger audience that way.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Well yeah, but the dialogue itself is laughable at times,

True that the dialogue was cheesy at time but it didn't ruined the show that much.

and they took out scenes that are "violent" or "traumatizing to kids", like Wizardmon's death.

Actually they didn't. They kept it pretty much the same from the original

Heck, they never even used the word "die" when it came to Digimon. Myotismon in the original version killed Pumpkinmon and Gotsumon, but in the dub it was said they were sent to the dungeons.

True they did they that but it was pretty clear that they were dead. Other why would Matt get so worked up if they where simply sent to the dungeons.

I don't know about that Digimon: Our's War game was dub OK as well as the first part of the movie. It is just the last part where movie start to fail.

Could we say that Digimon was responsible for making Animé become more closer with their Japanese counter part.

Last edited:

Aquadon

TCG Trainer

I refuse to even admit the existence of the dub Movie. Thank god I've actually watched the Subbed ones.

So, 4Kids has finally been sued, huh? While i never actually paid attention to the shoddy work behind it, I used to be a YGO Fan back in the day and it's weird thinking that the company that did YGO, along with getting Pokemon started (trust me, living with people who have only seen the old show means that they're all ripshit about the voice changes) seems weird. Well all things must come to an end at some point, and if 4Kids is really as bad as it's been said, they truly did have it coming.

Farewell 4Kids, and thank you to TPCi for getting Pokemon at the right time.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
True that the dialogue was cheesy at time but it didn't ruined the show that much.

Y-Yeah... but again, this is more of my pet peeve of it. Okay, yeah, it appeals to the kids, but some of it did go over our heads quite a bit.

Actually they didn't. They kept it pretty much the same from the original

Not from what I remember :/.

True they did they that but it was pretty clear that they were dead. Other why would Matt get so worked up if they where simply sent to the dungeons.

I was dumb enough to believe they were sent to the dungeons. I may have been seven-eight at the time, but still.

I don't know about that Digimon: Our's War game was dub OK as well as the first part of the movie. It is just the last part where movie start to fail.

Yeah, I do like watching the first part of the movie, it's gripping. I just find it bad they shoved three movies together like that. I don't think Zero Two was finished on the airwaves before they brought it to theaters, so it was rather dumb and/or confusing.

Again, I'm a little picky about these things. It could be because I have watched the original (Filipino-dubbed) and thus I know what's missing/changed and all, but as I got older, I noticed the show was rather dumb, yet still entertaining. Though some parts are just cringe-worthy.

ForeverFlame

Heck, they never even used the word "die" when it came to Digimon.

Are you kidding? I watched Adventure like a month ago, and I clearly recall Myotismon saying that he intended to kill the eighth child (he even used the word "die").

And in other instances, even though he didn't use the word die or kill, he threatened to "destroy" numerous children.

The characters mentioned death several times during the Dark Masters arc.

02 had even more instances of death. Cody mentioned his father dying about three times an episode, and he also brought up the moral dilemma of killing a Digimon. Also, the death in the last episode.

Tamers. Leomon.

Evilchibi_pichu

Entertain me minions
Huh. I never really expected this to happen. I figured 4Kids would be one of those companies that slowly and quietly died and no one would look back or notice until it's already dead. I should have known 4Kids wasn't going down without one last brawl. I can't help but wonder how this will be handled and where. In Japan's courts or America's.

Though, why did Japan bring Funimation into everything? What do they have to do with the whole thing? I can't see 4Kids and Funi working together that much; they're pretty much on opposite sides of the river now.

Taichi

Tamers frightened me as a child. Even though it was toned down slightly.

Oh god, J-Reaper gave me nightmares. DAT FACE. Sometimes I still get shivers down my spine.

Well they had a pretty crap run, but 4kids will be legendary (And not in that good way.) when it comes to talks of dubbage come up.

Though, why did Japan bring Funimation into everything? What do they have to do with the whole thing? I can't see 4Kids and Funi working together that much; they're pretty much on opposite sides of the river now.

They didn't. FUNimation is not being sued here, they were simply mentioned in the information. I wouldn't worry too much, FUNimation is likely an unknowing 3rd party that has very little chance of being harmed in this. Don't worry I thought the same thing at first as well.

GaZsTiC

Alternating
Funimation were the ones who paid to release the uncut DVDs. The Japanese noticed the loss or revenue and believe that Funi were co-involved with the fraud. Whether or not this is true remains to be unclear -- however it is important to note that Funi have been dropping many court cases this past month, such as the One Piece pirate case.