• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Help Thread

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Last edited by a moderator:

Ant_TKD

Tying up loose ends - Red

After completing Alpha Sapphire and catching all the legendaries the game had to offer, I decided to re-visit Black, Pearl and Soul Silver (in that order), and finally beat the Pokemon league in each. As well as trade up the legendary Pokemon from each game to Gen VI. I have now reached the Soul Silver part of my task and, having now obtained all 16 badges, catching the two legendary trios an Ho-oh all that remains for me is Groudon.

But this means facing Red.

I'm sure you've been asked this before. I've read conflicting reports on the minimum level your team con be (as low as 65 and as high as 90). Looking at Red's team, I'd go for 90. So a lot of grinding is in my future.

So, any advice? Any team, Items, levels or training strategies you'd employ?

My team is; Feraligator, Vulpix, Ampharose, Beedrill, Pidgeot and Onix (Rocky from trading with an npc). All are level 61 at time of writing.

Thanks for putting up with the long post, and thanks in advanced for any advice!

Aquarelle

Staff member
I'm sure you've been asked this before. I've read conflicting reports on the minimum level your team con be (as low as 65 and as high as 90). Looking at Red's team, I'd go for 90. So a lot of grinding is in my future.

So, any advice? Any team, Items, levels or training strategies you'd employ?

My team is; Feraligator, Vulpix, Ampharose, Beedrill, Pidgeot and Onix (Rocky from trading with an npc). All are level 61 at time of writing.

Thanks for putting up with the long post, and thanks in advanced for any advice!

Training to level 90 is a little excessive imo. I trained my team to level 70 on my most recent HGSS playthrough - which took forever - and couldn’t imagine trying to get all the way to lv. 90 just for Red. :p
On my first SoulSilver playthrough, my entire team was still in the 50s and I defeated Red without losing a single one of my Pokemon.

I can’t give you an exact “minimum” level for your team, but if you feel that they’re too under levelled at lv. 61, then training them to the lv. 65-70 range would be good. You can save before fighting Red and then just soft reset and continue training if he’s too difficult.

When it comes to training Pokemon, I usually rematch Gym Leaders and the Elite Four over and over, plus fight any regular trainers who might phone for rematches.
While training, definitely get your Vulpix to evolve (Fire Stones can be obtained in several ways, including buying them at the Pokeathlon Dome) and evolve Onix if you have another DS and game to trade with.

For items, I just buy a bunch of healing items like Hyper Potions, Revives, Full Heals, Full Restores, etc. How many of each I buy depends on how much money I have, though I usually end up with 30+ of the Hyper Potions, Revives, & Full Heals (which is way more than I’ve ever needed).

Ant_TKD

Thanks, I'll find a fire stone and give that a try!

Also, I have my Pearl team I could bring over. They are Ghastly, Bastiodon, Rappidash Starraptor, empolyon and Luxray. They are all 68 ish.

I did it! I beat red! I ended up using Ho-Oh, Steelix ( by your recommendation, who turned out to be amazing against Pikachu), Feraligator, Mewtwo, Ampharose and Gengar (even if Gengar fainted instantly).

The hail helped me, allowing me to spam Hyper Potions whilst his Pokemon took damage. It was a pain when he kept healing his Charizard but I got through.

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

james19

Hi to everyone! I'm playing HG and I want to make some sort of "competitive team" for Kanto (I won Johto League yesterday) but above that I want to fight Battle Front. Am I in the right post to request help?

Thanks and sorry if my spelling is awful, english isn't my native language

Aquarelle

Staff member
Does anyone know any good Pokemon to use for the Battle Hall? I want to get all gold symbols if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've seen a lot of people use Garchomp to get the Battle Hall gold. I haven't gotten the gold symbol for the Hall, but my best record was with Garchomp iirc.

A useful resource for the Hall (and other Gen 4 Battle Frontier stuff) is this thread from the Smogon forums. You can find a list of the top Battle Hall records in the first post, with links to posts where the movesets, strategies, etc. used are described.

Jaramelon

question about trying to make my feebas a milotic

okai i have 3 pamtre berries in total (2 plucked out of berryplants). i heard you can only make a feebas with pamtre berries, plucked. one i didn't pluck and made a poffin of it. my feebas is mild nature. and i heard you need zero spills or burns for it. i don't know what they are and where you can get them.

question: 1. is it true you have to pluck them?
2. can i make my feebas a milotic with a few other berries too?
3. what are zero spills/ burns?
4. how many poffins can i use?

Aquarelle

Staff member
question: 1. is it true you have to pluck them?
2. can i make my feebas a milotic with a few other berries too?
3. what are zero spills/ burns?
4. how many poffins can i use?
1. No, berries picked from plants are the same as berries obtained in other ways. You can find Pamtre Berries in Amity Square (your partner Pokemon might pick one up, so talk to them every once in a while. Not sure if only specific Pokemon can find Pamtre Berries, though).

2. Yes, other berries can work. Pamtre is one of the best to use, but I've heard of other people using Wiki Berries and successfully evolving Feebas.

3. This means don't spill the batter or let it burn when making Poffins. During the early stages of Poffin making, the batter will spill out if you spin too fast. If you don't spin fast enough, the batter will burn.

4. You can use Poffins until the Pokemon's sheen is maxed out (you can monitor the sheen on the Contest stats page on the Pokemon's summary).

This page may be useful to you if you want to learn more about making and using Poffins.
I don't know which version you're playing, but if you have Platinum you can buy Poffins in the basement of the department store in Veilstone - they work pretty well and I always use them instead of making my own.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
I'm not sure where else to ask this, since it's more of a hardware question. But it directly pertains to Heart Gold and Soul Silver, so I am going to ask it here. Does anyone know, or can link me to a page that knows, what kind of batteries the PokeWalker uses, and if they're replaceable. I just restarted my old Heart Gold, and I would like to use the PokeWalkers I have, but they're both dead.

Last edited:

Winter Breeze

formely joseph.
I'm not sure where else to ask this, since it's more of a hardware question. But it directly pertains to Heart Gold and Soul Silver, so I am going to ask it here. Does anyone know, or can link me to a page that knows, what kind of batteries the PokeWalker uses, and if they're replaceable. I just restarted my old Heart Gold, and I would like to use the PokeWalkers I have, but they're both dead.
Here you go :)

blue bug

I'm having bicycle trouble! In Victory Road I can't get over the jump in the NW chamber of the second level up; North of the Resort Area it's the two long slides without lead-up room. Changing the gear hasn't helped, in any of the three spots. What am I missing?

Aquarelle

Staff member
I'm having bicycle trouble! In Victory Road I can't get over the jump in the NW chamber of the second level up; North of the Resort Area it's the two long slides without lead-up room. Changing the gear hasn't helped, in any of the three spots. What am I missing?

I don't remember Victory Road offhand, but by "north of the Resort Area" I assume you're talking about Route 228 (the sandstorm route)? For the slides on that route that don't have lead-up room, you have to build up speed (with the bike set to the faster gear) on a nearby strip of land, then make a sharp turn(s) without losing any speed to get up the slope. You have to be pretty quick and it may take you a few tries. If you're familiar with the RSE games, it's similar to how you had to make fast turns with the Mach Bike in the Sky Pillar to get over the cracks in the floor.

blue bug

Thanks for confirming my discouraging guess. Alas! This is also why I don't have a Rayquaaza: I picked up the system too late in life for some of the tricky moves.

Since I'll never get into that sector, can you tell me what I'm missing? Like, who's in the building I can only glimpse, what Pokémon I won't catch, and what nifty game items I won't find.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Thanks for confirming my discouraging guess. Alas! This is also why I don't have a Rayquaaza: I picked up the system too late in life for some of the tricky moves.

Since I'll never get into that sector, can you tell me what I'm missing? Like, who's in the building I can only glimpse, what Pokémon I won't catch, and what nifty game items I won't find.

I don't remember exactly where every item on Route 228 is located, but you can find a list of them on the route's Pokearth page.

For the building, who you find in it depends on whether you're playing DP or Platinum, and it's really quite interesting imo:

(typing this just from memory)
If you're playing Diamond or Pearl, then the house will have a man who talks about having son or grandson who's into reading. There are a bunch of books scattered around the house, and if you check them you'll see they are all about psychic related topics.

If you're playing Platinum, then the house has a man who mentions having a grandson who lived in Sunyshore, liked machines, and had parents with ridiculously high expectations. He then says something about wishing that he stepped in and took care of his grandson himself.

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Does changing the DS/3DS internal clock cause a 24 hour lockout on Gym Leaders? I know that you can still re-battle the ones you have already logged in your PokeGear, but I'm not sure if I can change the clock to cause them to leave their Gyms at a time that's more convenient for me.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Does changing the DS/3DS internal clock cause a 24 hour lockout on Gym Leaders? I know that you can still re-battle the ones you have already logged in your PokeGear, but I'm not sure if I can change the clock to cause them to leave their Gyms at a time that's more convenient for me.

Changing the clock should NOT lock the Gym Leaders out. I just tested this on my games. On my SoulSilver, I changed the clock a couple of times and was able to get Blaine's phone number just fine once I set my DS to Tuesday. On my HeartGold, I was still able to get Gym Leaders to leave their Gyms for pictures after changing the clock. So, I think all that matters is that you have your DS set to the right time/day.

Getting Blue's phone number could be affected by the clock, though, since you have to get Daisy to massage your Pokemon like 5 times first, and I'm not sure if changing the time locks you out of massages.