• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Help Thread

The Red Thunder

Backwards thinking?
Changing the clock should NOT lock the Gym Leaders out. I just tested this on my games. On my SoulSilver, I changed the clock a couple of times and was able to get Blaine's phone number just fine once I set my DS to Tuesday. On my HeartGold, I was still able to get Gym Leaders to leave their Gyms for pictures after changing the clock. So, I think all that matters is that you have your DS set to the right time/day.

Getting Blue's phone number could be affected by the clock, though, since you have to get Daisy to massage your Pokemon like 5 times first, and I'm not sure if changing the time locks you out of massages.

Coincidentally, Blue's number is the only one I don't typically go for since I don't use his number for power leveling. I'm glad to hear that I can change the time and not be locked out.

Feline

Why?
I don't know if this was answered. PM me if you can answer cause I don't go on serebii that much. Anyway, there are two spots on the map in D/P on the top left corner. They're dots literally. I don't know what they are. What the heck are they and how do I get to them? Sorry I don't have a screen shot.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I don't know if this was answered. PM me if you can answer cause I don't go on serebii that much. Anyway, there are two spots on the map in D/P on the top left corner. They're dots literally. I don't know what they are. What the heck are they and how do I get to them? Sorry I don't have a screen shot.

Looking at the map here, are you talking about the very tiny dots located below Fullmoon & Newmoon Island (located above Iron Island)? If so, there's no way to get to them.

Houka

Been a while anyway, I'm wondering about the safari zone and the Object level up. How do I know when they do level up and how do I do it, your page is very vague on it. Like Do I have to play the game or go into the safari to count or can I just wait/time skip and it should work?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Been a while anyway, I'm wondering about the safari zone and the Object level up. How do I know when they do level up and how do I do it, your page is very vague on it. Like Do I have to play the game or go into the safari to count or can I just wait/time skip and it should work?

I had a look at this, which provides more information on the main site but I think time skipping works to help level up blocks. It depends on the type of block and Baoba will notify you via Pokégear whenever a block levels up.

Houka

I'm a bit unsure what they mean by "used" like do I have to go into the safari for it to count?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm a bit unsure what they mean by "used" like do I have to go into the safari for it to count?

They probably mean that it's when you put a Safari Block in an certain area of the Johto Safari Zone. You don't have to go into the Safari to count. Just to note that you can't save in the Safari.

Houka

Ah OK. I have to check on it. Should I save just outside (the gate area) or should I be fair far from the place for him to call me?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Ah OK. I have to check on it. Should I save just outside (the gate area) or should I be fair far from the place for him to call me?

I don't think the place to save really matters but as long as a block levels up, Baoba will call you.

I am about to do another HG playthrough, and would like some opinions on my team.
Feraligatr
Crobat
Jolteon/Ampharos
Dragonite
Alakazam
Gengar
I am not sure whether to keep both Alakazam and Gengar for my team, but I want to keep at least one of them. I'm leaning towards having Jolteon instead of Ampharos, as Ampharos is very, very slow and Jolteon is very fast and has a nice SpAtt stat. Please tell me what is good on my team and what are parts I should fix. Thanks :)

Houka

You have good set up for a normal play. I would keep both Alakazam and Gengar since they both do wonderful job at sweeper the trainers and they are easy to get in HG. As for Jolt vs Amp well Speed with low defense vs A lot of defense but slowness. The only problem I would have is that thunderstone issue but other wise both are good. Which style do you prefer it come down. Good luck with your playthrough.

Thanks very much!

Twizted25ID

HGSS Safari Zone - Question. Please Help.

So, I've once again gotten a couple of DSs for myself and my fiance as we rebuild our Pokemon game collection (slowly).

I've reached the point where I'm ready to start completing my female ball pokedex. Specifically the apricorn balls and the safari balls, primarily. So that when I do eventually get up to speed on my games, I'm rolling in with full near-full versatility on breeding.

My question is as follows (I have two) ...

Firstly: I'm going to assume that it is 100% true that there is no possible way for time manipulation on the safari zone block aging process. Ive seen mixed answers, and please only respond if you have experience.

Secondly (And more importantly): Riolu in the Meadow area requires 70 days time with 10 Forest and 14 Peak Objects. Peak Objects will age to x3 efficiency at 70 days and Forest will do the same at 60 days. What this means is, and here is my question,: Will I be able to place 4 Forest (4 x 3 = 12) objects and 5 Peak (5 x 3 = 15) and on Day 70, they will age to 12 Forest and 15 Peak, along with unlocking Riolu and satisfying all the requirements for him to appear.

This is correct, I assume? I'd love for confirmation, as I would hate to waste 70 days to find that my assumptions are untrue.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Serebii is not clear in its guide on the safari zone. Bulbapedia cleared things up for me. Serebii states that for Riolu, you need 70 days time and 10 Forest and Peak Objects. What that means is at 70 days, they mature to the actual requirement for Riolu. They being the blocks. Which means the actual requirement for Riolu is 42 Peak and 30 Forest. Because of the 30 block limitation, this means that you must wait 70 days time because you can only place 10 blocks for forest and 14 peak. I just thought I'd clear that up for anyone else with similar questions.

My first question is still up in the air, however. Although, I believe I know the answer to that one.

Last edited:

Houka

OK from what I can tell I think you need to have the block active for a certain amount of time (In-game time) I've spend weeks on just turn it on or off but it does really work like that so no you can't change the time via DS clock. It appears you have to put the poke block in and just live the DS on and it would upgrade once it hits the certain about of hours. I can't be 100% accurate this but it clearly doesn't used the DS clock for it.

As for two, All you need is leave on block in there and it will upgrade so number of block does not mater as for upgrading but you do need 10 Forest and 14 Peak black for Riolu to appear. In other words you can leave one Forest and Peak block til they upgrade twice (70 days) then put up the require black to get your Pokemon to appear.

coadyham24

Early Game Shiny Hunting?

Hi Everyone!

I'm picking back up my old platinum version and I know about the pokeradar method for cathing shiny pokemon, but I was curious if anyone knew of any methods I can use without having to beat the game first.

Thanks!

Houka

Well ya got the normal way (find it in the bushes/Water) or the Breeding way other wise you have to wait to the the radar.

I assume you don't have a different region Pokemon on your game?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Hi Everyone!

I'm picking back up my old platinum version and I know about the pokeradar method for cathing shiny pokemon, but I was curious if anyone knew of any methods I can use without having to beat the game first.

Thanks!

Pretty much Masuda Method is the only way, if you have foreign Pokémon. If you don't, you'll have to depend on random encounter luck.