• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Help Thread

Bananarama

The light is coming

Bananarama

The light is coming
I shouldn't have said gifted... its a in-game trade for a fortress

Oops, I forgot :/

Edit: After a bit of research, I've actually found that all in-game trades have most characteristics preset, so they can't be shiny unless they are somehow intended to be.

Last edited:

BlankNull

Pokémon elitist
Breeding issues.

This seemed to be the most appropriate place to post this seeing as it has to do with SoulSilver...
I have been having a few issues when it comes to breeding. I read up on it a long time ago and did it quite often in 3rd gen, having varied results. More often than not, after I make a few eggs, I will check each of their IVs as soon as I can. What confused me about all this is that I was told they inherit 3 IVs from each parent Pokémon, but for some reason I got 3-4 different IVs for the same stat among the hatched Pokémon. I don't have any power items, so I can't really go that route...

Fazermint

General HG/SS Battle Tower tips

Hello, lurker here!

I was just looking for some fun tips/advice on creating a 3-mon team for the in-game battle frontier in HG/SS. Most team-building discussions on the internet assumes you play competitively with a team of 6, so I didn't get too much out of those.

A couple years back I made a bug monotype team centering around Butterfree. You might think WTF, but I solo'd Palmer with this little guy. He has 97,5% accuracy with Sleep Powder, and EVs and nature oriented towards speed. If a mon outsped Butterfree, I had the Focus Sash to prevent a 1HKO and thereby circumvent his problematic defensive stats. I put Dream Eater in the moveset for an incredible synergy. Not only is Butterfree a very reliable dream eater, it also helps him get back to full health if he has taken a hit, thus re-activating focus sash. Bug Buzz for STAB, and the fourth move is a matter of preference - could be stun spore for extra utility, or energy ball for coverage.

Naturally, as a monotype team I didn't do too well in the battle tower, only ever reached round 30 or so. My other teams members were Scizor who'd get a free Sword Dance or two while the opponent was still sleeping, and Heracross which generally just wrecked stuff.

The save got corrupted so I'm starting over now. I still wanna go with my Butterfree strategy, just not a mono-type team. What are things I should consider? Should I simply go with one physical and one special sweeper and make sure the coverage / defense is well-rounded?

My apologies if similar questions have been asked before.

tricky_fox

What's this gold, sparkling ball? (SS/HG Pokemon summary)

So I was looking into my starter summary and I found this icon which I never saw before. Tried to google and all, but I can't find anywhere what is this. Any lights, anyone?

Btw, the symbol is round, golden, it sparkles sometimes and it's close to where the pokerus face appears in the summary.
I would post a picture but apparently serebii limits this for newbies :/

Thank you in advance!

PS: it's not the shiny leaf icon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquarelle

Staff member
So I was looking into my starter summary and I found this icon which I never saw before. Tried to google and all, but I can't find anywhere what is this. Any lights, anyone?

Btw, the symbol is round, golden, it sparkles sometimes and it's close to where the pokerus face appears in the summary.
I would post a picture but apparently serebii limits this for newbies :/

Thank you in advance!

PS: it's not the shiny leaf icon.

When you say it's not the shiny leaf icon, do you mean it's not the single leaf icon? Like, is it possible that it's the leaf crown instead? The crown isn't that near the Pokerus face, but it's the only round, golden, sparkly thing I've ever seen in the Pokemon summaries.

If it's not that, can you think of anything you've accomplished with your Pokemon or anything special about it that might have lead to it getting this symbol?

BTW, your other thread would have been locked by a mod because you should post these questions in help threads like this instead of creating a new thread for them. ;)

tricky_fox

When you say it's not the shiny leaf icon, do you mean it's not the single leaf icon? Like, is it possible that it's the leaf crown instead? The crown isn't that near the Pokerus face, but it's the only round, golden, sparkly thing I've ever seen in the Pokemon summaries.
If it's not that, can you think of anything you've accomplished with your Pokemon or anything special about it that might have lead to it getting this symbol?
BTW, your other thread would have been locked by a mod because you should post these questions in help threads like this instead of creating a new thread for them. ;)

Thank you for letting me know ^^'
Well, it's not the crown either. I could pm you a msg with the picture link maybe? I can't sadly post here and is so complicated to explain (i couldn't find anywhere).
As for event that triggers it, im not sure. I don't check my pokemon summary much, I did after I was home and beat elite 4 as curiosity.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Thank you for letting me know ^^'
Well, it's not the crown either. I could pm you a msg with the picture link maybe? I can't sadly post here and is so complicated to explain (i couldn't find anywhere).
As for event that triggers it, im not sure. I don't check my pokemon summary much, I did after I was home and beat elite 4 as curiosity.
I'm not exactly sure what it could be, then. I just looked at a bunch of my HeartGold Pokemon and the only other symbol I found near the Pokerus is the shiny symbol, but that's star shaped...

You could try PMing me a picture if you can (not sure if you'll be able to yet though).

Edit:
tricky_fox sent me the picture, and it appears that the symbol in question is the dot that appears on the Pokemon's summary when you click on its ribbon screen to read the descriptions of the ribbons it's won.

Last edited:

Magianas

bunny obsessed
Best Eeveelution in Platinum?

I have an Eevee just sitting in my PC, and tbh since I love Eevees so much, I feel kinda bad. What's the best thing to evolve it into?

For the record, here's my main team and their moves:
Houndoom (Smog, Payback, Fire Fang, Faint Attack)
Lopunny (Drain Punch, Jump Kick, Cut, Grass Knot)
Gardevoir (Confusion, Magical Leaf, Teleport, Psychic)
Luxray (Tackle, Shock Wave, Bite, Thunder Fang)
Empoleon (Surf, Peck, BubbleBeam, Dig)
Altaria (Sing, Steel Wing, DragonBreath, Fly)

I'm thinking about Glaceon, but I don't know if it's any better than Froslass.

Some advice on my team's moves would also be appreciated! ^^

Bananarama

The light is coming
I have an Eevee just sitting in my PC, and tbh since I love Eevees so much, I feel kinda bad. What's the best thing to evolve it into?

For the record, here's my main team and their moves:
Houndoom (Smog, Payback, Fire Fang, Faint Attack)
Lopunny (Drain Punch, Jump Kick, Cut, Grass Knot)
Gardevoir (Confusion, Magical Leaf, Teleport, Psychic)
Luxray (Tackle, Shock Wave, Bite, Thunder Fang)
Empoleon (Surf, Peck, BubbleBeam, Dig)
Altaria (Sing, Steel Wing, DragonBreath, Fly)

I'm thinking about Glaceon, but I don't know if it's any better than Froslass.

Some advice on my team's moves would also be appreciated! ^^

I'd go with Glaceon as your Eeveelution, since you don't have any Ice-types on your team currently. It's got a great special attack stat, so it could be a good attacker, and it's got some solid defense stats too.

Nintendo543

I've recently started a new play through in HG. I need help with choosing team members. I want a Electric type as well as an Eeveelution that isn't Umbreon/Jolteon. I've used them before and I really want to change it up.

My current team members that I'm going to keep:
Totodile
Zubat

After the Electric type and Eeveelution, I have 2 spots left. I was possibly thinking Arcanine. This leaves me 1 spot, and I honestly can't think of anything that I would want to use, that I haven't used before. I need advice on the Eeveelution, the Electric type, and the last team member.

Thanks!

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
I've recently started a new play through in HG. I need help with choosing team members. I want a Electric type as well as an Eeveelution that isn't Umbreon/Jolteon. I've used them before and I really want to change it up.

My current team members that I'm going to keep:
Totodile
Zubat

After the Electric type and Eeveelution, I have 2 spots left. I was possibly thinking Arcanine. This leaves me 1 spot, and I honestly can't think of anything that I would want to use, that I haven't used before. I need advice on the Eeveelution, the Electric type, and the last team member.

Thanks!

The eeveelution is a tough choice. I se espeon right now and it does fantastic. And try electrode as your electric. I'm using it now, it's surprising really REALLY good.

Nintendo543

I recently tried trading a Chimchar from Diamond to Platinum. I went through the Wireless Club Union Room, but my Diamond character didn't show up at all. I couldn't trade because my character didn't show up. I tried using my DS and 3DS to trade. Didn't work. Then I tried my 2DS and 3DS. Still didn't work, what gives?

Aquarelle

Staff member
I recently tried trading a Chimchar from Diamond to Platinum. I went through the Wireless Club Union Room, but my Diamond character didn't show up at all. I couldn't trade because my character didn't show up. I tried using my DS and 3DS to trade. Didn't work. Then I tried my 2DS and 3DS. Still didn't work, what gives?
Are you going to the union room on both games or just one? Because both games need to enter the room.

Nintendo543

Are you going to the union room on both games or just one? Because both games need to enter the room.

Yeah, I've been entering on both games. I'm pretty sure that trading from Platinum to HeartGold works, though. I will check if trading with Heartgold works. I don't think I have had problems trading before.

Edit: it worked when I traded from Ds to 2ds. I think my 3ds infrared is broken/messed up

Thanks for your help though!

Last edited:

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Question about the pokéwalker. Are the wifi obtained courses attached to the game they're obtained in (for example HG), or are they stored in the pokéwalker and can restart the game the course was in without losing the wifi obtained course?