• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Help Thread

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Question about the pokéwalker. Are the wifi obtained courses attached to the game they're obtained in (for example HG), or are they stored in the pokéwalker and can restart the game the course was in without losing the wifi obtained course?

They're tied to the game save that has them, so you'll loose it. With receive Gift option, You can send Pokémon and items to another game that doesn't have it.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
They're tied to the game save that has them, so you'll loose it. With receive Gift option, You can send Pokémon and items to another game that doesn't have it.

You mean send wondercard to another game?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
You mean send wondercard to another game?

I wish.. No.. If you have a second game with a Pokéwalker you can send what ever you picked up from the first game's Pokéwalker, even if the second game doesn't have that Pokéwalker course.

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
I wish.. No.. If you have a second game with a Pokéwalker you can send what ever you picked up from the first game's Pokéwalker, even if the second game doesn't have that Pokéwalker course.
I thought there was a way to send wondercards to a save that didn't already have it. But there was like a limit to home many times you could give out a wondercard.

PokeUmbreon

Pokemon Diamond Team Help -

I find it really hard to create teams of Pokemon which I haven't used before, I keep falling into old habits. So, I was wondering if anyone could recommend either teams or Pokemon (which are available to catch in-game) which could be considered difficult to use? Avoiding ledgenderies.

Thanks in advance :)

Nintendo543

Pokemon Diamond Team Help -

I find it really hard to create teams of Pokemon which I haven't used before, I keep falling into old habits. So, I was wondering if anyone could recommend either teams or Pokemon (which are available to catch in-game) which could be considered difficult to use? Avoiding ledgenderies.

Thanks in advance :)

I do not know what Pokemon you have used before, but I am currently doing a playthrough with a Gastrodon. It is really slow but packs a punch! Also maybe Electivire/Magmortar!

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
I've been trying to catch a Vulpix in SoulSilver, but whenever I do it just Roars me away. Bulbapedia claims that if a wild Pokemon uses Roar against a Pokemon that's a higher level it will fail, but I've been using my level 22 Bayleaf and it still doesn't work. Is this a mistake on Bulbapedia's part, or does it have to be higher by a certain number, or...?

Houka

Yeah Roar will throw you away regardless of level. It's luck base rather it will use it or not. I suggest either Quick ball it or put it to sleep and then damage/catch it (Depending how far you are you may not have Quick ball yet).

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Yeah Roar will throw you away regardless of level. It's luck base rather it will use it or not. I suggest either Quick ball it or put it to sleep and then damage/catch it (Depending how far you are you may not have Quick ball yet).
Ah, ok, thanks. I'll just keep trying. (And Bulbapedia, why you lie)

ZEKKY AUDITORE

Help on building a new team

So i was playing Diamond and after capturong Dialga i came to realize that my team was fairly unbalanced so i decided to build another one and with my available pokes at the time this came to mind:
Lucario:
Swords Dance
Foresight (To be removed)
Close Combat
Aura Sphere
Golbat:
Bite
Wing Attack
Confuse Ray
Fly (Just to move around quickly)
Bronzong:
Iron Defense
Safeguard
Psychic
Gyro Ball
Ponyta:
Take Down
Tail Whip
Ember
Stomp
Sneasel:
Faint Attack
Fury swipes (to be removed)
Agility
Avalanche
6th pokemon open for consideration in thinking of an electric type

Rotom1598

Question about using Vitamins in Platinum.
From what I know, Vitamins only raise the EVs in a particular stat upto 100, and after that are unusable. Therefore you we can use maximum 10 vitamins for one stat on a pokemon.
I need to ask that if we can use 10 vitamins for one stat only or can we again use another 10 vitamins on ANOTHER stat.

Here's what I did. I used 10 Calcium on my Misdreavus in Platinum, which had just hatched and had no EVs at all. After using 10 Calcium, its Sp.Atk EVs rose to 100, and then I trained it all the way to 252 EVs manually. Now it has 252 Sp.Atk EVs and no other EVs, but if I now use Carbos on it, it says "it wont have any effect". I am confused as to why I cant use Carbos, as it has 0 EVs in Speed, and I should be able to increase them to 100 using Carbos. So is the limit to vitamins is only of a total 10 vitamins, or is it 10 vitamins per stat, if they are below 100??

A long time ago, I trained a Shinx in Attack and Speed using both Protein and Carbos both. I think I used 10 proteins and 10 Carbos, so why cant i do that now with Misdreavus? I would appreciate help.
Thank you.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Question about using Vitamins in Platinum.
From what I know, Vitamins only raise the EVs in a particular stat upto 100, and after that are unusable. Therefore you we can use maximum 10 vitamins for one stat on a pokemon.
I need to ask that if we can use 10 vitamins for one stat only or can we again use another 10 vitamins on ANOTHER stat.

Here's what I did. I used 10 Calcium on my Misdreavus in Platinum, which had just hatched and had no EVs at all. After using 10 Calcium, its Sp.Atk EVs rose to 100, and then I trained it all the way to 252 EVs manually. Now it has 252 Sp.Atk EVs and no other EVs, but if I now use Carbos on it, it says "it wont have any effect". I am confused as to why I cant use Carbos, as it has 0 EVs in Speed, and I should be able to increase them to 100 using Carbos. So is the limit to vitamins is only of a total 10 vitamins, or is it 10 vitamins per stat, if they are below 100??

A long time ago, I trained a Shinx in Attack and Speed using both Protein and Carbos both. I think I used 10 proteins and 10 Carbos, so why cant i do that now with Misdreavus? I would appreciate help.
Thank you.
Are you sure it's the same Misdreavus that hatched?

It's quite possible you've trained it in other stats, as any battle in which your Pokémon gains Exp also gains EVs. IF you have I recommend using EV reduction berries to reduce stats you don't want. These take over a day to grow.

Rotom1598

Are you sure it's the same Misdreavus that hatched?

It's quite possible you've trained it in other stats, as any battle in which your Pokémon gains Exp also gains EVs. IF you have I recommend using EV reduction berries to reduce stats you don't want. These take over a day to grow.

Thank you so much, I knew it that it should work. Thats a very good idea to use EV reduction berries and see what i did wrong. But yes I am sure i fed it with Calcium, and its the same misdreavus. I think that I should have used both vitamins at first, and then head on to battle in the wild. It may not be working because it has 252 EVs, or something. :/
I have already been farming on the EV reducing berries so I have them.
Thank you.

Aquarelle

Staff member
You're allowed to use up to 10 vitamins in each stat. So yes, you can use 10 Carbos AND 10 Calciums on the same Pokemon (I've done so many, many times). You can even max out a Pokemon's EVs using only vitamins through a 100/100/100/100/100/10 spread if you really wanted to.

I'll second what Nutter said above. Double check the Misdreavus you're trying to use the Carbos on and make sure it doesn't have more EVs than you think it does. I'd also make sure you're using Carbos and not Calcium by mistake.

EDIT: ninja'd...yeah, see if EV reducing berries make a difference. Something's definitely not right if your 0 Speed EV Misdreavus can't take Carbos if it hasn't reached the 510 cap yet (the fact that it already has 252 Sp. Att EVs doesn't matter - something I can vouch for based on EV training many Pokemon over the years).

Last edited:

Rotom1598

You're allowed to use up to 10 vitamins in each stat. So yes, you can use 10 Carbos AND 10 Calciums on the same Pokemon (I've done so many, many times). You can even max out a Pokemon's EVs using only vitamins through a 100/100/100/100/100/10 spread if you really wanted to.

I'll second what Nutter said above. Double check the Misdreavus you're trying to use the Carbos on and make sure it doesn't have more EVs than you think it does. I'd also make sure you're using Carbos and not Calcium by mistake.

EDIT: ninja'd...yeah, see if EV reducing berries make a difference. Something's definitely not right if your 0 Speed EV Misdreavus can't take Carbos if it hasn't reached the 510 cap yet (the fact that it already has 252 Sp. Att EVs doesn't matter - something I can vouch for based on EV training many Pokemon over the years).

Thanks very much to you too.
Firstly, its so difficult to check EVs in these games, as they are hidden, that once you've lost count of them, you really need to start over.
I used the berries to check if they are above 100 or not, followed by using a vitamin to see if it works.
Turns out i didnt make any mistake in the EVs but.... I was using the POWER ANKLET instead of the Power Lens. This was the mistake.
Thanks to the both of you for helping me out.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'm looking for a good Sun Setter for my Platinum Battle Tower team, the others are:

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Bold nature (can't really change this)
-Fire Blast
-Solarbeam
-Earth Power
-Dragon Pulse

Heatran is the nuke of the team, Fire Blast in the sun should annihilate almost anything that doesn't resist it. Good typing, great stats, great ability. Solarbeam hits most water types like Swampert and Slowking, Earth Power hits other Fire types, and Dragon Pulse hits Dragons.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Docile nature
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Hidden Power Ice (Base Power 61)
-Roost

Zapdos gets a boosted Heat Wave, and has good defensive synergy with Heatran. Hidden Power Ice covers Garchomp, Salamence, Flygon, Dragonite, Altaria, and Lati twins. Heat Wave covers Lucario and Scizor, and just hits hard. Thunderbolt is STAB and covers Charizard and Gyarados, among others.

As a sun setter I'm doubting between several options:

Lucario @ Heat Rock
Adamant/Jolly nature
Ability: Inner Focus
-Sunny Day
-Close Combat
-Extremespeed
-Blaze Kick

Lucario covers Tyranitar, Thick Fat Snorlax, and Blissey well (which my other pokémon have trouble with), but it shares a ground and fighting weakness with Heatran. It also requires Blaziken to breed both Blaze Kick and Sunny Day onto it (Leafeon to Blaziken to Lucario, with Leafeon providing Sunny Day).

Dragonite @ Heat Rock
Adamant/Jolly Nature
Ability: Inner Focus
-Sunny Day
-Superpower
-Extremespeed
-Fire Punch / Dragon Claw

Dragonite also covers Tyranitar, Snorlax, and Blissey with Superpower, as well as resisting fighting and ground. But it shares Ice and Rock weaknesses with Zapdos, and Sunny Day conflicts as a bred move with Extremespeed, so this set needs TM11 (unlike all the other options listed which can get Sunny Day by breeding).

Hariyama @ Heat Rock
Adamant nature
Ability: Thick Fat
-Sunny Day
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Fire Punch / Earthquake

Hariyama has bulk to set up sun, and it doesn't share any weaknesses with either Zapdos nor Heatran, but it's fairly slow.

Scizor @ Heat Rock
Adamant nature
Ability: Technician
-Sunny Day
-U-turn
-Superpower
-Bullet Punch

Scizor doesn't share any weaknesses either, and hits really hard, but it can't set up sun against fire types and it doesn't benefit from sun itself.

Gallade @ Heat Rock
Jolly nature
-Sunny Day
-Close Combat
-Psycho Cut
-Leaf Blade / Fire Punch / Stone Edge

Gallade doesn't share any weaknesses with Heatran or Zapdos, covers Tyranitar, Blissey, and Snorlax with STAB Close Combat, but it has terrible physical defence.

Garchomp @ Heat Rock
Adamant / Jolly nature
-Sunny Day
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Blast / Draco Meteor / Fire Fang

Garchomp is Garchomp, fast, hard-hitting, and fairly bulky, but it shares a nasty ice weakness with Zapdos, and it lacks a good fighting move to cover Blissey and Snorlax.

Infernape @ Heat Rock
Adamant / Jolly nature
-Sunny Day
-Close Combat
-Flare Blitz
-Stone Edge

Infernape shares a ground weakness with Heatran, but it resists fire and isn't weak to rock. It also gets STAB fighting moves and benefits from the sun. The main drawback is that Infernape is kind of fragile.

Last edited:

QueenUnfezant

welcome to the comedy zone
How to find the 5th Gym Leader

I'm in a bit of a struggle: finding the 5th Gym Leader. My NPC rival's already beat her (as it seems) but she's NOWHERE...

Aquarelle

Staff member
I'm in a bit of a struggle: finding the 5th Gym Leader. My NPC rival's already beat her (as it seems) but she's NOWHERE...
Are you playing Diamond/Pearl? If so, have you gone to Celestic Town and done everything you need to do there? You need to do that before the Hearthome Gym is open to you - IIRC, Fantina returns to the Gym once you've gotten the Surf HM.

Or, if you're talking about the Olivine Gym in HGSS (which is usually the fifth Gym you'll physically see on your journey), have you gone to the lighthouse and climbed to the top to find Jasmine?

Last edited:

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Is there a hidden power checker noc in gen 4? Refering to the npc like in Mistralton in Unova and the guy in Annistar in Kalos.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Is there a hidden power checker noc in gen 4? Refering to the npc like in Mistralton in Unova and the guy in Annistar in Kalos.

Yes, in Platinum there's a checker in the Veilstone Game Corner prize building (no such NPC in DP, though, IIRC), and in the Celadon Game Corner prize building in HGSS.

Last edited: