• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Help Thread

jginz1

Shiny Hunter
Hey guys!

I am currently playing a Pokemon SoulSilver Nuzlocke (details in my signature) and I was wondering whether I should replace my fallen Ampharos with Weepinbel or Voltorb (who will eventually become an Electrode). Thanks!

Hey,
I am playing heart gold again at the moment, and need some help deciding a 6th party member, its moveset, and held items for my other pokemon.
The team so far is:

Typhlosion
-eruption
-blast burn
-solarbeam
-focus blast

Tyranitar
-crunch
-stone edge
-earthquake
-ice fang

Salamence
-outrage
-dragon claw
-double edge
-fly

Lapras
-ice beam
-surf
-thunderbolt
-body slam

Gengar
-hypnosis
-shadow ball
-sludge bomb
-dream eater

Please could someone help me find a 6th pokemon? prefereably one to cover the psychic/electric/fighting/steel types that i dont have, I was thinking electivire for a while, but it isnt too versatile, metagross could work, or possibly gallade?
Thanks for the help!

I always found Ampharos too be a helpful asset to my team.

A good moveset would be
- Discharge
- Thunderpunch (for coverage against special walls)
- Signal Beam
- Thunder Wave

Last edited by a moderator:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Hey guys!

I am currently playing a Pokemon SoulSilver Nuzlocke (details in my signature) and I was wondering whether I should replace my fallen Ampharos with Weepinbel or Voltorb (who will eventually become an Electrode). Thanks!

I'm not a fan of "look in my signature" posts within help threads, partly as it can change and void the question a few months down the line.

So:

Pokemon SoulSilver Nuzlocke
Team: ;157; ;075; ;080; ;176; ;221;
Box: ;165; ;021; ;014; ;063; ;185; ;052; ;072; ;066; ;130; ;024; ;100; ;095; ;133; ;024; ;070;
Fallen Warriors: ;019; (Sprout Tower, defeated by a Bellsprout) ;042; (defeated by Morty's Gengar) ;032; (Route 37, defeated by a wild Stantler) ;109; (Burnt Tower, defeated by a wild Rattata) ;016; (Burnt Tower, defeated by a wild Rattata) ;181; (defeated by Clair's Kingdra)

Given that I don't know your Moves, I'll be making guesses as I based on the PokéDex, not your actual Party.

I'd go with Weapingbel/Victrebel, as your party is currently weak to water and has very little to counter it. Poliswine Ice-type moves and Gravler's Rock type moves can take on Flying types. Not unless you know you're going have to fight another Water/flying type.

jginz1

Shiny Hunter
I'd go with Weapingbel/Victrebel, as your party is currently weak to water and has very little to counter it. Poliswine Ice-type moves and Gravler's Rock type moves can take on Flying types. Not unless you know you're going have to fight another Water/flying type.

Thanks for your help! I am not planning on evolving Weepinbel due to the Leaf Stone being only available on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays (I can't play again until spring break due to school)

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Will I still be able to battle/trade with people on Gen4 multiplayer?

Only Locally, as in your partner must be sitting next to you. I've regularly traded with my New 3DS and my OG DS.

Via Wifi, as in trading over the internet to some anther continent, was turned off some time ago in May 2014. (There is also a limitation that you couldn't use the current Standard of WPA security encoding for Gen 4 games, it was being phased out almost soon after Gen 4 got started.)

mamoswine_123

what does my fifth and sixth teammember be

note: tis is for soul silver
my team exists of:
typhlosion
vileplume
heracross
lanturn
(im thinking of using jynx but it cannot learn psychic by leveling up and
dragonite but it takes way to long to rais)

can someone please help and!?!

Thaumiel

Egg Moves For Kanto

So I'm replaying Heart Gold, and I've just arrived in Kanto. I feel like re-designing my team somewhat. My current moves (and team) do have their flaws, and I understand it isn't the best set but I'm not too hot on the competitive aspect. After all, you don't really need such tactics when playing against AI. I feel like exploiting the breeding process, and thus I want to explore some bizarre or unusual egg moves.

For reference, this is my team and moveset:

Gliscor lv:56
Night Slash
Poison Jab
Swords Dance
Toxic

Honchkrow lv:56
Fly
Feather Dance
Nasty Plot
Dark Pulse

Kangaskhan lv:56
Facade
Reversal
Dig
Crunch

Slowking lv:57
Psychic
Nasty Plot
Shadow Ball
Surf

Steelix lv:56
Double Edge
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Crunch

Dragonite lv:57
Extreme Speed
Dragon Dance
Aqua Tail
Dragon Pulse

Like I said, I'm well aware of gaps, this is just a team of Pokémon I like.

stormValkyrie

Fourth gen games not working on my 3DS

I'm new here, so I'm not sure if there is a better place to post this.

Recently, I've been having problems with my copy of Platinum, where it loads as normal but shows nothing except a black screen when I load my save file. I tested this with my other fourth generation games and found the same issue in all of them, while fifth, sixth and seventh gen games work fine.

I searched for a solution but couldn't find my exact problem.
Does anyone know what exactly is wrong with my games and/or my 3DS?

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Very strange situation. Do you happen to have access to another system to see if the problem is with your system or your games? How have you stored your gen 4 games? I would try playing them on a DS or a different 3DS and seeing if you still get the same problem.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Sounds like a question for Nintendo Customer Support then. Have you noticed any other games that it has issues with?

One thing you could try if you haven't purchased anything from the eshop is formatting your 3DS. It could be an issue with software and restoring the factory settings may help. I've only ever done this with a backup 3ds, not my main one, so if you do go this route, do some research to see what all will be lost during formatting. You'll be able to redownload games and apps from the eshop, but you'll most likely lose all save data from them.

I'd probably try contacting Nintendo about the issue and finding out if they have any idea what the problem is and how to solve it.

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
Does anyone one know when the Pokemon Center trainers start appearing in Pokemon Platinum? Cause I restarted my game and checked and there should be one in Jubilife City on a Monday. I'm currently in Floraoma Town btw
https://www.serebii.net/platinum/centrebattles.shtml

Aquarelle

Staff member

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
I couldn't find one clear-cut answer, but the person in this thread got them to appear after getting the VS Seeker.

Ok thank you it seems weird that i checked bulbapedia and they have it listed that the pokemon center trainer can be fought as low as level 6 but that wouldn't make much sense considering the point in which you get the V.S seeker

Aquarelle

Staff member
Ok thank you it seems weird that i checked bulbapedia and they have it listed that the pokemon center trainer can be fought as low as level 6 but that wouldn't make much sense considering the point in which you get the V.S seeker
Yeah, I saw those low levels on Bulbapedia too and thought it was kind of odd.
However, I just checked my old Platinum official guidebook and it also says Pokemon Center battles are triggered by the Vs. Seeker: "Once you have the Vs. Seeker, Trainers will start appearing inside the Pokemon Center to battle."

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
Another question. Regarding the V.S seeker do you know when the rematches trigger? For example on Route 202 immediately when you get the V.S Seeker you're able to rematch Youngster Tristian and his Lv. 5 starly has now evolved into a level 24 Staravia. It also lists that eventually it becomes a lvl 35 Staraptor during a rematch and the final is when the Staraptor becomes lvl 45. Do you know when these are? And does the same apply to every rematch trainer?

Aquarelle

Staff member
Another question. Regarding the V.S seeker do you know when the rematches trigger? For example on Route 202 immediately when you get the V.S Seeker you're able to rematch Youngster Tristian and his Lv. 5 starly has now evolved into a level 24 Staravia. It also lists that eventually it becomes a lvl 35 Staraptor during a rematch and the final is when the Staraptor becomes lvl 45. Do you know when these are? And does the same apply to every rematch trainer?
The trainers' levels increase as you make certain progress within the story (from my experience, it seems to be based on things like badges, number of times you've fought the trainer, etc., though I don't know the specifics), with the final levels being reached once you finish the Stark Mountain stuff (I don't remember if that includes facing Heatran, but it might). You also might have to battle a trainer an extra time or two before the level up happens.

Some trainers will only level up slightly or not at all, though. This might be useful; it shows the final teams of all the rematchable trainers in the game by level, so you can see who levels up, who doesn't, etc.

Last edited:

cascadethewarrior

~Ðiva and Lucariϕ~
The trainers' levels increase as you make certain progress within the story (from my experience, it seems to be based on things like badges, number of times you've fought the trainer, etc., though I don't know the specifics), with the final levels being reached once you finish the Stark Mountain stuff (I don't remember if that includes facing Heatran, but it might). You also might have to battle a trainer an extra time or two before the level up happens.

Some trainers will only level up slightly or not at all, though. This might be useful; it shows the final teams of all the rematchable trainers in the game by level, so you can see who levels up, who doesn't, etc.

Ok thanks you

kenny358

Hey ive been trying to do the cute charm glitch on soul silver and im having a lot of issues. ight so my rng reporter is so messed up so i cant use it on eontimer so i gotta find all that info on my own. i tried using youtube videos to plug in all the info to my game but they are all for diamond pearl and platinum can someone give me all the info for a id and ssid compatible for the cute charm glitch. i need 1. Calibrated Delay 2. Calibrated Sec. 3. Target Delay 4. Target Sec. 5. The date and time the ds needs to be on (im using 2ds if that makes a difference)

softpixels

Migrating VS Trading: Which do I want?

Hi folks -

A quick background that might help explain what I want.

I played R/B/Y when they first came out, but no other games. My niece has become a fan recently, with X/Y/OR/AS her first games, and she's about to start S/M. The internet has shown me I can theoretically carry my Pokemon from game-to-game, so I decided in January to start from FR/LG and catch up to my niece so we can play together.

What I want is to carry "my" Pokemon from FR/LG all the way to S/M.

I've so far played FR/LG and R/S/E. I'm currently playing SS and have gotten to the Pal Park and started migrating. I was surprised to see that my migrated Pokemon get boosted xp.

Does the game internally make any distinction between Pokemon that have been migrated and ones that are traded? (Aside from not triggering trade evolutions?)

I had an idea in my head that the game would think any Pokemon "migrated" through Pal Park or the Poke Transfer Lab (or Poke Bank, I guess) would still be "mine". But behind the scenes does it just think they're traded Pokemon and treat them as such?

If migrating still somehow makes the game associate the Pokemon as "mine" then I'll keep migrating/transfer labbing/banking. So... what's the game thinking?

- sp