• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Help Thread

Aquarelle

Staff member
If migrating still somehow makes the game associate the Pokemon as "mine" then I'll keep migrating/transfer labbing/banking. So... what's the game thinking?

- sp
Both traded and migrated Pokemon are considered "outsiders" by the current game as they do not have the same OT/ID number combination as the current game.*
They are treated pretty much the same as far as I can see, aside from the not triggering trade evo thing when migrating and the message on the Pokemon's summary screen mentioning where it came from.

So if you want to transfer Pokemon up to later generations, you'll just have to accept that they won't be considered "yours" by the game they end up on.

*Traded & migrated Pokemon could, in theory, be treated as "yours" if the current game has the same trainer name, ID, and Secret ID as the game the Pokemon originated on, but it's highly, highly unlikely the IDs match in your case.

My pokemon ranch

Do you know if it is still possible to buy and download this on wii/wii U?

BCVM22

Only if you hurry. You have until March 27th, 2018 to purchase points for the Wii Shop Channel, and until January 31, 2019 to use them, pursuant to accessing the Wii Shop Channel on both the Wii and Wii U.

Transferring Pokémon in Pal Park

(I know that there's a forum for Pal Park but it says closed)

I bought a used game of Fire Red and I was wondering when I do gain access to Pal Park can I send the same type of Pokémon (specifically talking about legendaries) if I fully reset the Fire Red game?

Ex: transfer Mew onto Diamond
Restart the game completely on Fire Red and eventually catch Mew again and then send another Mew onto Diamond

Or will the game limit me to only one of each legendary?

Thank you!

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector

I bought a used game of Fire Red and I was wondering when I do gain access to Pal Park can I send the same type of Pokémon (specifically talking about legendaries) if I fully reset the Fire Red game?

Restart the game completely on Fire Red and eventually catch Mew again and then send another Mew onto Diamond

Thank you!

The Pal Park won't limit the number of each species you can transfer, it just has the daily limit on the number of pokemon you can transfer per GBA game.

That said, Mew isn't available in FireRed without local trading with someone that has one or using a cheating device.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!

Thank you!

The Pal Park won't limit the number of each species you can transfer, it just has the daily limit on the number of pokemon you can transfer per GBA game.

That said, Mew isn't available in FireRed without local trading with someone that has one or using a cheating device.

The Limit is 6 Pokémon from a Box at a time. Pokémon to be Transferred must not know a HM move. Also, For Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, You can only send one transfer Per day, for each GBA game. Heart Gold and Soul Silver the daily time limits do not apply.

As for Getting a Mew, there is a way to get one, which will soon become unavailable for new players, Using Diamond and Pearl with My Pokémon Ranch for the Wii.

LordHitchhiker

Soul Silver Team Help

Ok so I'm building a team for just in game in soul silver, and was wondering if anyone could solve a dilemma for me.

I need a ghost or dark type to cover ghost and psychic but I can't think of any solution that doesn't have a major disadvantage. Obviously I can only do gen iv or earlier, and I have platinum so I can trade in from there, but no other gen iv games.

My team so far is: Golem, primape (traded), Lapras, Ampharos, fearow

The problem is every dark type apart from drapion, honchkrow, sableye or Spiritomb are weak to fighting, and Golem and Lapras are already weak to that. However I need a fast pokemon as otherwise I only have 2 which can outspeed being fearow and primeape, neither of which are special attack heavy, but having drapion means 3 weaknesses to ground (Drapion, Golem and Ampharos). However ghost types are annoying as I have to wait until late game for a mismagius, and Gengar is weak to both ghost and psychic, the two types I need to cover.

Any ideas?

LordHitchhiker

Honchkrow would be replacing my fearow though, which has much better speed (honchkrow Base is 71 but fearow is 100), plus murkrow is way too late game for when I need him.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Honchkrow would be replacing my fearow though, which has much better speed (honchkrow Base is 71 but fearow is 100), plus murkrow is way too late game for when I need him.

just use a high special attacker with Shadow Ball then. Alakazam or Espeon are great. They'll be resistant to other psychics. They're weak against ghost, but they are usually faster.

LordHitchhiker

Sorted it now. Replacing primeape with heracross and fearow with honchkrow, and piling speed EVs on them by trading to platinum and using vitamins. Also using Gengar for 6th member.

Tony20014

Hi everyone! I just restarted my pokemon platinum and I wanted to use a Rotom-Heat on my team, but I don't have the secret key. If anyone is willing to share their secret key with me, I would gladly appreciate it!

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Hi everyone! I just restarted my pokemon platinum and I wanted to use a Rotom-Heat on my team, but I don't have the secret key. If anyone is willing to share their secret key with me, I would gladly appreciate it!

Sadly, this is not possible. The Secret Key is a Key item and not tradable.

There is no way that we can share the Secret key over the internet. The WFC option was for a system that was ran by Nintendo which was discontinued in 2014, and the Secret Key was only given out during an event in 2008 (for Japan) and 2009 (everywhere).

The Japanese event was unique in that you could share it with up to 5 other players, LOCALLY. The US and European events did not have the share option enabled.

So in short, If I had a Japanese Secret key, I would need to go and visit you in person perform mini event. That is assuming that I've not reached the share limit in the last 9 years, or deleted it due to the many events that happened since 2008.

(While it's possible with hacking, but Serebii.net has a strict policy on this, so I won't cover any of the possible methods that may exist.)

Tony20014

Sadly, this is not possible. The Secret Key is a Key item and not tradable.

There is no way that we can share the Secret key over the internet. The WFC option was for a system that was ran by Nintendo which was discontinued in 2014, and the Secret Key was only given out during an event in 2008 (for Japan) and 2009 (everywhere).

The Japanese event was unique in that you could share it with up to 5 other players, LOCALLY. The US and European events did not have the share option enabled.

So in short, If I had a Japanese Secret key, I would need to go and visit you in person perform mini event. That is assuming that I've not reached the share limit in the last 9 years, or deleted it due to the many events that happened since 2008.

(While it's possible with hacking, but Serebii.net has a strict policy on this, so I won't cover any of the possible methods that may exist.)

Ok thank you for the quick response!

gentwoer

Which Sinnoh starter should I pick and why?

Since I'll be playing my first Sinnoh game soon I'm not sure which to go with? Right now I'm thinking Chimchar or Turtwig since water pokemon are a dime a dozen in Pokemon games

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Since I'll be playing my first Sinnoh game soon I'm not sure which to go with? Right now I'm thinking Chimchar or Turtwig since water pokemon are a dime a dozen in Pokemon games

Which game though? If you're playing DP I would suggest picking Chimchar because of the lack of Fire types prior to the postgame with you only having access to Ponyta and Rapidash. But for Platinum though because there are more Fire types available before beating the game, it really depends what you want from your starter. If you want a fast attacker, pick Chimchar. Choose Turtwig if you want to use a slow physical attacker or Piplup if you want a slow special attacker although Empoleon (Piplup's full evolution) is a bit faster than Torterra (Turtwig's full evolution).

ArcanineRaichu77

Shiny Hunter,Bookworm and BVB fan~
Hi, I was planning to learn how to rng once I beat my Platinum. Is there a general or 4th gen rng thread to help me with this? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Apologies if this is not the right place for this! I couldn't find a Gen 4 RNG help thread.

Hey guys! I'm new to this rng thing. I got quite a few chained shinies on my Platinum and decided to try it out. I used RNG Reporter to find my SID:12224. I followed Youtube videos about catching a high leveled Magikarp to determine my seed from stats with the rng reporter. This then gives me spreads that should give me a shiny( I have my ID, SID in the RNG reporter and the shiny only box is ticked), after a certain number of happiness taps. This is what I've been doing: 1.Synch my 3DS clock with my pc's clock. 2.Have five pokemon in my party with the poketch app that shows my team selected. 3. Fly to the resort area, with the super rod registered. Save my game. 4.Soft reset, noting the time that I hit continue so I can put that in the Stats to Seed window. 5.Catch the Magikarp, level 50+ and input it's stats to give me a seed. 6.Transfer the seed to the main window and click generate. 7.Right click on the nature I want and select the Find Happiness taps option. 8.Make note of the happiness taps and coin flips I have to do. 9.Fly to Solaceon Town, going inside the daycare. Switch to the Happiness Checker Poketch app. 10.Tap the screen and watch my Pokemon jump up the required number of times. 11.Switch to the Coinflip app, going backwards so I don't go onto the happiness checker again. Flip the coin the required amount of times. 12.Deposit my parents, wait until the daycare man has an egg and save in front of him in case I wanna reset for IV's.

I've been following the videos exactly, but when I hatch the egg not only is it not shiny but it's also a nature that RNG reporter didn't even show to me(I'm not using an Everstone). I am a noob to this and would love to hatch some shiny Pokemon, so I would appreciate any help! Thanks guys :)
EDIT: My problem is now solved :). A helpful person on the Smogon discord helped me get my SID, I calculated it wrong xD I know have some cool hatched RNG shinies but they just don't feel the same as my hunted ones. Still cool though!

Last edited:

BlueEew

PokeProject - GO!
In Pokemon Diamond. If I let Dialga defeat me, will I be able to SR for a shiny when I go back to it or will it's stats be already set from my previous encounter?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
In Pokemon Diamond. If I let Dialga defeat me, will I be able to SR for a shiny when I go back to it or will it's stats be already set from my previous encounter?
I don't think they will have the same stats as before hence it may or may not be shiny on the encounter after you go back. But it's more efficient to save right before the encounter and SR if it's not shiny.