• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Help Thread

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
In Pokemon Diamond. If I let Dialga defeat me, will I be able to SR for a shiny when I go back to it or will it's stats be already set from my previous encounter?

I don't think they will have the same stats as before hence it may or may not be shiny on the encounter after you go back. But it's more efficient to save right before the encounter and SR if it's not shiny.
I have to agree with Mega Altaria on Soft Resetting for the Ledgendary. At worst, a Soft reset takes a minute between encounters. fainting will return you a Pokémon Centre, and there is no quick way to return to the Spear Pillar, you'll need to run back up the mountain, which will be either Repel Consuming or takes over 15 minutes to reach a second encounter.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Hi, I need your help with something and I hope this thread is suitable.

I am playing SoulSilver right now, and my intention
was to make a semi competitive team, with high IV overall and good EV spreads, that can win at the Johto Battle Frontier.

However, I don't have the patience to breed competitively in any generation prior to Gen VI, as it is too annoying, so instead, I decided to soft reset until I got decent Pokémon.

My main issue is with my Charizard. I was soft resetting for the Charmander that Professor Oak offers. I decided to settle for a Charmander that, according to the Judge in the Battle Tower is "excellent", and has perfect IVs in SPECIAL ATTACK, and SP. DEF.

So this Charmander is now a Charizard:

level 53

Serious Nature (doesn't boost not hinder his stats).

HP 163
Attack 97
Def. 102
Special Attack 170
Special Def. 111
Speed 154

My question is: why doesn't he hit hard enough? There is no visual table of EVs like in XY/ORAS, but if I am correct, I have invested 252 EVs in Special Attack, around 236 EVs in Speed, 8 EVs in HP, 4 EVs Def., and zero EVs in both Attack and Special Defence.

So for a level 53 Charizard with
perfect IVs in Special Attack, and 252 EVs invested there, does 170 Special Attack seem correct? Or is it possible I have screwed with the EV Training?

I mean, today, this level 53 Charizard couldn't even One Hit KO Clair's level 52 Dragonair with Dragon Pulse! A Super Effective Attack! WTF?

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Hi, I need your help with something and I hope this thread is suitable.

I am playing SoulSilver right now, and my intention
was to make a semi competitive team, with high IV overall and good EV spreads, that can win at the Johto Battle Frontier.

However, I don't have the patience to breed competitively in any generation prior to Gen VI, as it is too annoying, so instead, I decided to soft reset until I got decent Pokémon.

My main issue is with my Charizard. I was soft resetting for the Charmander that Professor Oak offers. I decided to settle for a Charmander that, according to the Judge in the Battle Tower is "excellent", and has perfect IVs in SPECIAL ATTACK, and SP. DEF.

So this Charmander is now a Charizard:

level 53

Serious Nature (doesn't boost not hinder his stats).

HP 163
Attack 97
Def. 102
Special Attack 170
Special Def. 111
Speed 154

My question is: why doesn't he hit hard enough? There is no visual table of EVs like in XY/ORAS, but if I am correct, I have invested 252 EVs in Special Attack, around 236 EVs in Speed, 8 EVs in HP, 4 EVs Def., and zero EVs in both Attack and Special Defence.

So for a level 53 Charizard with
perfect IVs in Special Attack, and 252 EVs invested there, does 170 Special Attack seem correct? Or is it possible I have screwed with the EV Training?

I mean, today, this level 53 Charizard couldn't even One Hit KO Clair's level 52 Dragonair with Dragon Pulse! A Super Effective Attack! WTF?

Some Good news: you didn't Mess up on the stats.

Using This: https://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml I've managed to work out your IV. (In a effort to check your work.) IVs: 31 / 6, 7 / 27 / 31 / 30, 31 / 23, 24

Since That's sorted out.. Time to fireup Pokémon showdowns's Battle Calculator: Sadly, It's actually very close to a guaranteed 1 hit KO. It's actually depends on the stats of that Dragonair, as The tipping point is about 85 SpDef for the match up for 1 OHKO.. that 85 SPDef just at the lower end of the stats that a Dragonair could be.

In this case, I'm not surprised. Most Competitive Pokémon matchups won't result in the battle being over in 1 turn.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
Some Good news: you didn't Mess up on the stats.

Using This: https://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml I've managed to work out your IV. (In a effort to check your work.) IVs: 31 / 6, 7 / 27 / 31 / 30, 31 / 23, 24

Since That's sorted out.. Time to fireup Pokémon showdowns's Battle Calculator: Sadly, It's actually very close to a guaranteed 1 hit KO. It's actually depends on the stats of that Dragonair, as The tipping point is about 85 SpDef for the match up for 1 OHKO.. that 85 SPDef just at the lower end of the stats that a Dragonair could be.

In this case, I'm not surprised. Most Competitive Pokémon matchups won't result in the battle being over in 1 turn.
I appreciate your help! Thanks a bunch :)

That said, could you please write me down the IVs in each stat more clearly? I see more numbers than stats?

Also, is it possible that a slight misremembering in the EV spreads could result in different IVs? Because, for example, I might've invested 255 EVs in Special Attack, and less in Speed? Same for HP and Defense, could be a few EVs up and down...

By the way, do you know how many EVs a single Iron/Protein/Carbos, etc raises and how many EVs one single EV reducing berry reduces? Because I used some of those as well.

Last edited:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I appreciate your help! Thanks a bunch :)

That said, could you please write me down the IVs in each stat more clearly? I see more numbers than stats?

Also, is it possible that a slight misremembering in the EV spreads could result in different IVs? Because, for example, I might've invested 255 EVs in Special Attack, and less in Speed? Same for HP and Defense, could be a few EVs up and down...

By the way, do you know how many EVs a single Iron/Protein/Carbos, etc raises and how many EVs one single EV reducing berry reduces? Because I used some of those as well.
According to what you've given me:
HP: 31
Attack: 6 or 7
Defence: 27
Sp Attack: 31
Sp Def: (30 or) 31
Speed: 23 or 24

The reason why I can't get more accurate results is partly, down to the fact I'm going on what you've said.

As for the "Vitamins" such as Iron and Protein etc, adds 10 EVs to a stat until you reach 100. As for EV berries, it subtracts 10EVs to a stat.

Mudkip97

Something's been bugging me for a while.
In HG/SS your Pokemon can get Pokeatholon Medals and the Gold Crown. If you trade that Pokemon to D/P/Pt and then back to HG/SS the Pokmeon still retains those things in it's data.

Here's thing. Does your Pokemon still have those things in its data once it's traded into Gen 5 and up?

BCVM22

But for select cases, Pokémon aren't typically stripped of data when they're sent to a next-generation game, so I would imagine the answer is yes with a "but." The "but" is that no game beyond HG/SS notes or displays the medals or the Gold Crown, so it's completely invisible.

Mudkip97

But for select cases, Pokémon aren't typically stripped of data when they're sent to a next-generation game, so I would imagine the answer is yes with a "but." The "but" is that no game beyond HG/SS notes or displays the medals or the Gold Crown, so it's completely invisible.

Hypothetically if we were to send a Pokemon originally from Gen 6 to Gen 4 do you think it would still retain the data?

BCVM22

The hypothetical is itself flawed, because the Generation VI Pokémon would have all manner of extra data that the Generation IV game wouldn’t be able to interpret and the game would be left scratching its head. That is in part why the jump to the next generation is always a one way trip.

Mudkip97

In this video for example

The guy sends data from Gen 7 to 6.

Would it even be possible to do that and send one to Gen 5 or 4 using some kind of software?

BCVM22

It's possible to do anything with "some kind of software." Software is just numbers and code. If you have the means to manipulate those properly, you can make the game dance if you want. But none of that is anything that occurs in normal gameplay.

Mudkip97

I know

I was just wondering if future games still remember about the crown and medals. I hope someone tests it out someday.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Since my Mew from gen 3 that was transferred all the way to gen 7 still has the medals it earned for winning contests in Emerald, I assume the newer games are able to retain all that older data. However, it doesn't really matter if they retain that info, because we won't ever have access to it again unless they bring back old mechanics in future games.

mewlax

I need some expertise here as I’m starting to doubt myself...I’ve read lots of contradicting information on swarms in HGSS. Most sources say that swarms only occur after receiving the National dex which is obvious since it includes non Johto/Kanto Pokémon.

The one I’m interested in is the Qwilfish swarm. I’m currently in Azalea Town working on my dex. I’ve got Fisherman Ralph’s phone number. I’ve read some sources that you can get the call from him about Qwilfish swarms before the National dex and you can catch Qwilfish with the Old Rod. Can anyone confirm this? I don’t want to hang around forever for a call that might not be possible. I’m only interested in catching one at this stage in the game, I know you can come back with the Good Rod and catch it with a low encounter rate. I want to know if it’s possible to do it before my second badge. Also, does it work like regular swarms (one full day)? Like if I switched my DS on each day it might be a Qwilfish swarm day?

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I need some expertise here as I’m starting to doubt myself...I’ve read lots of contradicting information on swarms in HGSS. Most sources say that swarms only occur after receiving the National dex which is obvious since it includes non Johto/Kanto Pokémon.

The one I’m interested in is the Qwilfish swarm. I’m currently in Azalea Town working on my dex. I’ve got Fisherman Ralph’s phone number. I’ve read some sources that you can get the call from him about Qwilfish swarms before the National dex and you can catch Qwilfish with the Old Rod. Can anyone confirm this? I don’t want to hang around forever for a call that might not be possible. I’m only interested in catching one at this stage in the game, I know you can come back with the Good Rod and catch it with a low encounter rate. I want to know if it’s possible to do it before my second badge. Also, does it work like regular swarms (one full day)? Like if I switched my DS on each day it might be a Qwilfish swarm day?
In HG/SS, unlike in Generation II, the swarms only occur after obtaining the National Dex. So Ralph won't call you to tell about Qwilfish outbreaks.

I'm trying to catch Darkrai on Platinum right now, but I forgot that you can't leave New Moon Island until you catch, run, or beat it, and I accidentally saved on the island. I want to leave, and come back later.

My question is, if I make Darkrai faint, or run away from the battle, will I be able to re-encounter it after beating the League? Or will it be gone forever? I can't seem to find a unanimous answer online, so I figured I'd come here and ask you guys.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I'm trying to catch Darkrai on Platinum right now, but I forgot that you can't leave New Moon Island once you go there, and I accidentally saved on the island. My question is, if I make Darkrai faint, or run away from the battle, will I be able to re-encounter it after beating the League? Or will it be gone forever? I can't seem to find a unanimous answer online, so I figured I'd come here and ask you guys.
Similarly to other Legendaries, you should be able to reencounter it once you beat the League again if you accidentally faint it.

Similarly to other Legendaries, you should be able to reencounter it once you beat the League again if you accidentally faint it.
Thank you! I actually just tested it out - it turns out you don't even need to beat the league, you simply just need to go into the same house again to re-trigger the event. Not what I expected but it's interesting!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Thank you! I actually just tested it out - it turns out you don't even need to beat the league, you simply just need to go into the same house again to re-trigger the event. Not what I expected but it's interesting!
Cool! At least you found out yourself. Kind of weird too but at least it saves a lot of time from having to defeat the Elite Four again to catch Darkrai.