• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Help Thread

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Yes, in Platinum there's a checker in the Veilstone Game Corner prize building (no such NPC in DP, though, IIRC), and in the Celadon Game Corner prize building in HGSS.

I can confirm that the Hidden Power person is not in Diamond or Pearl.

Just to add if you battle a Kekleon, it's ability will tell you what type your HP Type is, as it matches type from the last hit. It's Possible to work out the type by battling certain type of Pokémon and noting the effectiveness. (For example, HP-Fighting will be super effective against on Normal types and not very effective to Psychic types.

PsyPokés has a guide, intended for LGFR, that can help narrow down your type: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/hp.php

Rockapheller

A Pokémon Enthusiast
I have defeated Elite 4 for the second time after receiving 16 badges. So my next goal is to defeat Red and receive Kanto/Hoenn starters from Professors. Therefore I challenge elite four repeatedly in order to make Lv. 85 my all Pokémon. However I have only 4 Pokémon trained so far.

1. Typhlosion (FlameThrower/Eruption/Rock Climb/Double Edge)
2. Lapras (Surf/Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Perish Song)
3. Haunter (Shadow Ball/Destiny Bond/Hypnosis/Dream Eeater)
4. Kadabra (Psychic/Future Sight/Psycho Cut/Recover)

With which Pokémon should I complete my team? I think one Flying, one Dragon type could be useful. But I am open to new ideas.

Also I have some cool TMs in my bag such as Earthquake, Flamethrower, Psychic, Overheat, Dragon Pulse, Poison Jab. I am totally going to need Earthquake to defeat Red's Pikachu. Which Pokémon should learn Earthquake, plus do you have any suggestions to use these moves on Pokémon?

PS. Heart Gold, not Soul Silver.

Anyone tries to help me - Thanks in advance!

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I have defeated Elite 4 for the second time after receiving 16 badges. So my next goal is to defeat Red and receive Kanto/Hoenn starters from Professors. Therefore I challenge elite four repeatedly in order to make Lv. 85 my all Pokémon. However I have only 4 Pokémon trained so far.

1. Typhlosion (FlameThrower/Eruption/Rock Climb/Double Edge)
2. Lapras (Surf/Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Perish Song)
3. Haunter (Shadow Ball/Destiny Bond/Hypnosis/Dream Eeater)
4. Kadabra (Psychic/Future Sight/Psycho Cut/Recover)

With which Pokémon should I complete my team? I think one Flying, one Dragon type could be useful. But I am open to new ideas.

Also I have some cool TMs in my bag such as Earthquake, Flamethrower, Psychic, Overheat, Dragon Pulse, Poison Jab. I am totally going to need Earthquake to defeat Red's Pikachu. Which Pokémon should learn Earthquake, plus do you have any suggestions to use these moves on Pokémon?

PS. Heart Gold, not Soul Silver.

Anyone tries to help me - Thanks in advance!

You could have Dragonite which could serve as both Flying and Dragon. Plus has great attack stat so Earthquake would work well with it.

Rockapheller

A Pokémon Enthusiast
You could have Dragonite which could serve as both Flying and Dragon. Plus has great attack stat so Earthquake would work well with it.

I actually was training a Dratini. It was around level 40~ but it seemed too weak - capable of fainting by one hit. Then I left it in PC. Should I complete training?
As for the second slot, what Pokémon or type would you suggest?

The Flash

I like shorts!
Any way to get Event stuff?

So I recently restarted Heart Gold for another play through. And unfortunately I lost my Yellow Forest Pokewalker course. Is there a way to re-download it and the other event courses? I feel like I'm handcuffed because the games are now 2 (almost 3) generations old.

I'm Hoping there's a legitimate way to unlock them as I don't have an AR and I'm not skilled enough to install them through back door means.

Any ideas? I'm considering emailing the pokemon company themselves and seeing if there's anything.

Ive recently been trying to evolve my shiny kadabra on HG and I can't seem to set up my DS wifi settings. Im trying to get a FC and it won't let me until I connect to wifi. I guess DS wifi settings only links to WEP wifi instead of WPA wifi? Ive also noticed that a lot of people have this same problem. Has anyone else had this issue?

Aquarelle

Staff member
So I recently restarted Heart Gold for another play through. And unfortunately I lost my Yellow Forest Pokewalker course. Is there a way to re-download it and the other event courses? I feel like I'm handcuffed because the games are now 2 (almost 3) generations old.

I'm Hoping there's a legitimate way to unlock them as I don't have an AR and I'm not skilled enough to install them through back door means.

Any ideas? I'm considering emailing the pokemon company themselves and seeing if there's anything.

Any events for the 4th Gen games are long over by now (plus in the case of WiFi events, there's no longer any WiFi internet support for DS games anyway), so there wouldn't be any way to legitimately get those courses now.

The only one you might be able to get would be the Night Sky's Edge course, if you just happened to have a Jirachi on another (compatible) game and could trade it to your HeartGold.
Other than that, though, it seems like the window of availability for the other event-only courses has closed.

Ive recently been trying to evolve my shiny kadabra on HG and I can't seem to set up my DS wifi settings. Im trying to get a FC and it won't let me until I connect to wifi. I guess DS wifi settings only links to WEP wifi instead of WPA wifi? Ive also noticed that a lot of people have this same problem. Has anyone else had this issue?
All WiFi features for DS games were shut down quite a while ago, so you simply cannot do anything requiring connecting to the Internet on the Gen 4 and 5 games.
(Now yes, I have read that the DS could only use WEP - see here - but it's irrelevant as the DS/Wii WiFi services have been gone for over two years now)

Last edited:

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I actually was training a Dratini. It was around level 40~ but it seemed too weak - capable of fainting by one hit. Then I left it in PC. Should I complete training?
As for the second slot, what Pokémon or type would you suggest?

Possibly a Tyranitar or Gyarados. I could suggest a legendary but you probably don't use them. If you want a Dragonite then training it further would be needed.

Any events for the 4th Gen games are long over by now (plus in the case of WiFi events, there's no longer any WiFi internet support for DS games anyway), so there wouldn't be any way to legitimately get those courses now.

The only one you might be able to get would be the Night Sky's Edge course, if you just happened to have a Jirachi on another (compatible) game and could trade it to your HeartGold.
Other than that, though, it seems like the window of availability for the other event-only courses has closed.

All WiFi features for DS games were shut down quite a while ago, so you simply cannot do anything requiring connecting to the Internet on the Gen 4 and 5 games.
(Now yes, I have read that the DS could only use WEP, but it's irrelevant as the DS/Wii WiFi services have been gone for over two years now)

I know wifi services got shut down years ago. I not trying to use the wifi for anything but getting a friend code so I can trade evolve my kadabra. You're telling me I can't do this at all? unless I transfer them to 6th gen? I can't use wifi service for the gamen but that doesn't mean i can't use wifi services in general? cause thats the problem.

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
I know wifi services got shut down years ago. I not trying to use the wifi for anything but getting a friend code so I can trade evolve my kadabra. You're telling me I can't do this? pretty sure people on here are able to trade evolve their 4th gen pokemon still...
You can still trade locally with another game physically next to you, though I don't know why you're trying to get a friend code for it? You can just go to the union room on both games via local wireless and trade your Kadabra. I've never had to set up WiFi settings or friend codes or anything like that to trade between my own games.

You can still trade locally with another game physically next to you, though I don't know why you're trying to get a friend code for it? You can just go to the union room on both games via local wireless and trade your Kadabra. I've never had to set up WiFi settings or friend codes or anything like that to trade between my own games.
Thank you!! I tried the union room before and it didn't work, but i'll try it again. I think I know what i did wrong.

Danko

Natures for my squad?

Assembling a squad for SoulSilver, what natures would be good for this team?

Typhlosion,
Kingdra,
Electabuzz/Electrivire,
Mamoswine,

And then 2 of these 4
Tyranitar/Gengar/Lugia/Skarmory

Tyranitar has decent ground moves but Mamoswine could replace him in that aspect.
Gengar will have hypnosis to help catch legendarys...
Could do with a flying type and Lugia seems the best choice, while adding a psychic type.

What natures would people recommend for this team?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Assembling a squad for SoulSilver, what natures would be good for this team?

Typhlosion,
Kingdra,
Electabuzz/Electrivire,
Mamoswine,

And then 2 of these 4
Tyranitar/Gengar/Lugia/Skarmory

Tyranitar has decent ground moves but Mamoswine could replace him in that aspect.
Gengar will have hypnosis to help catch legendarys...
Could do with a flying type and Lugia seems the best choice, while adding a psychic type.

What natures would people recommend for this team?

Thanks!

Depends on what you want to do with them, and what kinds of sets you want to run. Do you want to run competitively or in-game? As a sleep inducer I think Butterfree with Sleep Powder is better than Gengar, neither has bulk but Butterfree has Compoundeyes Sleep Powder, which is way more accurate. Butterfree also has lower offences which you generally want when catching stuff so you can get their HP bar more reliably to the red.

bags

Team for Battle Frontier?

Alright so guys, I am wondering what pokemon should I use for battle frontier?
So who should my third teammate be if I use these 2?

Scizor
Nature: Adamant
EVS: 252 HP and 252 Attack
Item: Life Orb
Moves: Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
X-Scissors
Roost

Rotom- Wash Form
Nature: Timid
EVS: 252 Special Attack and 252 Speed
Item: Leftovers
Moves: Thunderbolt
Confuse Ray
Shadow Ball
Hydro Pump

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I don't think you can use Rotom's appliance forms in the battle frontier, if I recall correctly Rotom reverses to its normal form in there.

Also replace X-Scissor with Bug Bite on Scizor, it hits harder when you use Technician and has a nice Berry-eating effect. Scizor doesn't really have the speed to take advantage of Swarm, Technician is more reliable and also boosts Bullet Punch. Technician Bullet Punch is what makes Scizor so good.

Last edited:

bags

I don't think you can use Rotom's appliance forms in the battle frontier, if I recall correctly Rotom reverses to its normal form in there.

Also replace X-Scissor with Bug Bite on Scizor, it hits harder when you use Technician and has a nice Berry-eating effect. Scizor doesn't really have the speed to take advantage of Swarm, Technician is more reliable and also boosts Bullet Punch. Technician Bullet Punch is what makes Scizor so good.

You are right. I am probably still gonna use him but gonna use willo wisp instead of hydropump and I know bug bite is better, but I don't have Heartgold or Soulsilver so I can't get it ;( and my scizor has technician :D I just forgot to mention it. So do you have an idea of a teammate for me? I am thinking about using

Spiritomb
Nature: Bold
EVS: 252 HP and 252 Defense
Item: Leftovers
Moves: Calm Mind
Dark Pulse
Sleep Talk
Rest

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Oh yeah, you're right, Bug Bite is a move tutor move, not a TM, and it's also not an Egg move for Scizor unfortunately, so you can't breed it to Scizor either.

Spiritomb isn't really the pokémon I know most of, it's good decent defences, but I'm not sure if RestTalk is going to keep it alive, I think Pain Split might work better with Spiritombs low HP stat. I think with Rotom and Scizor, you'll need some coverage against Swampert, Steelix, Gastrodon, and Quagsire. Preferably some special attacker. I think Ludicolo might work well, it gets both grass and water moves to cover the aforementioned pokémon, as well as a nice water, steel, and ground resistance, and it doesn't have any major crippling weaknesses. Ludicolo can also set up rain to reduce Scizors fire weakness and give Rotom an accurate Thunder to abuse.

Something like

Ludicolo @ Damp Rock
Swift Swim
Bold nature
not sure on EV's
-Rain Dance
-Surf
-Grass Knot
-Ice Beam

Lotad gets Rain Dance by levelup (Serebii's pokedex misses it as a pre-evolution move on Ludicolo), Grass Knot is a replaceable TM through Pickup, and Ice Beam is replaceable at the Game Corner, and can also be bred to Lotad if you don't want to grind at the game corner (breed with Dewgong, Lapras, or Remoraid). In fact, if you don't want to hold off on evolving Lotad for Rain Dance (Lotad learns it at 37), you can also breed Rain Dance from Lapras as well.

Sprinter1988

It depends entirely on what you have available.
I haven't played these games in a while, but the last time I did I made sure to start with a Nidoking that knew Stealth Rocks and Earthquake. Stealth Rocks damages everything that comes in, especially the Charizard, while Earthquake destroys Pikachu. It doesn't have to be a Nidoking - a Gliscor, Donphan, Mamoswine or any other decently levelled Ground type with those two moves will be an excellent lead. I usually avoid rock types though as they won't appreciate an Iron Tail from Pikachu.
Apart from that, all I can really say is build a decent, all round team. Bring something with decent fighting attacks (such as Close Combat) to hit Snorlax and Lapras hard (Heracross can be useful here). A strong electric type, such as Jolteon or Ampharos, with Thunderbolt or Discharge will deal well with Blastoise, Charizard and Lapras. Then have something with Flamethrower (Typhlosion, Ninetales) or Psychic (Espeon, Jynx) to hit Venusaur as hard as you can.

The first time I battled Red in Soul Silver, I used a team of Mamoswine, Meganium, Espeon, Kingdra, Ninetales and Ampharos and I got by him on my first attempt, though it wasn't easy. Just make sure your team's levels are near his.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I used Nidoqueen to set up Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock against Pikachu, Nidoqueen is bulky enough to take a couple of Iron Tails if she's around level 65 or higher (bring some X Defend). Once Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock were down I eliminated Pikachu with Earth Power and then I just stalled out Red with Calm Mind Suicune (he tends to send out Blastoise or Lapras against Nidoqueen on which Suicune can easily set up). Red has high level pokémon but really lacks in the moveset department, he can't deal with stall as he only has offensive moves, he doesn't have any status moves or stat boosts at all. I think his movesets in 2nd gen were better.

Last edited: