• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
4th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

Games in this gen: Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver

What is a Monotype Challenge?

A Monotype challenge is one in which you can only use Pokemon of a specific type to beat the game from start to finish (ie beating the champion and seeing the credits or with HGSS, beating Red). For instance if you say try a Grass Monotype Challenge, you can only use Grass Type Pokemon found in the game.

Rules

• Please read the Challenge Forum rules before posting.
  • Pokemon are allowed to have two typings. For instance, Butterfree would be acceptable on both a flying team and a bug team.
  • Legendaries and traded Pokemon (not counting in-game trades or trades for evolution purposes only) are not allowed.
  • Note some types (like Dragon types typically) are not viable to use for such a challenge due to a lack of availability of them early in the game, or at all.
  • If you pick a starter that is not of your type, then it may not be used after you have obtained one Pokemon of your chosen type.
  • You may have Pokemon of another type in your team, but only as HM slaves - they may not be used in battles.
  • Post only on this thread to either state which type you are doing, your current progress or to ask for suggestions on which Pokemon to use.
  • If you wise to impose any other restrictions on yourself feel free to do so and mention them!

Last edited:

TheEpicGoomba

Im planning to do a Monotype run but could I have some suggestions

Which type (It could be any but Im currantly thinking of a Fighting or Steel type run)
which game Platinum or HG

SilverMorty

I think if you want diverse types, Platinum is the way to go.

There are only 6 steel types in HG (counting Magnemite and Magneton separately) and you have to trade for Scizor. For a Fighting in HG, Poliwrath and Heracross are the only dual types, the rest are just plain Fighting (even then if you want to use a Hitmon, you have to wait until after the 8th gym).

Also it depends on your playstyle as well, if you're more offensive Fighting is the way to go. Steel could be more interesting since Fighting types will be mostly excelling in the Attack stat and can be boring after a while.

TheEpicGoomba

I have started my Steel type Monotype run on Pokemon Platinum

I started my adventure picking Piplup(Pretty Obivious) I beat Barry got the Running Shoes and went to the lake met Cyrus and raced Barry to Sandgem town to Thank Rowan. When I arrivied I was asked to give a Nickname to Piplup which was Emperior. I went back to Twinleaf to tell my mother and I got the Parcel. When I got to route 202 I took on all the trainers and I made it to Jubilife and met Looker. I then went to deliver to parcel to Barry. I went to take on the route above Jubilife for some extra training. I then got my next to team members which i traded from Diamond. Goliath the Aron and MetalFenix the Skarmory. I then destroyed Barry went through the route and arrived at Orughburgh City.

;393; Emperior 14
;227; MetalFenix 15
;304; Goliath 14

Last edited:

Finch.

Sunlight, sunlight~
cool. I'm gonna do one on HG. a fire monotype challenge!
Can anybody tell me what to name my rival? I never know what to name the rival....

Last edited:

TheEpicGoomba

cool. I'm gonna do one on HG. a fire monotype challenge!
Can anybody tell me what to name my rival? I never know what to name the rival....

On HG I just name him Silver since its real name.

Not much I just got through the mines and beat all the trainers and met Roark
Went back to the gym beat the trainers and easily beat his team OHKOing all his Pokemon.

Team
;394;Emperior lv 16
;227;MetalFenix 16
;304; Goliath 14

Last edited:

Finch.

Sunlight, sunlight~
Meh...i'll name him Adam! But anyways, i just started the game. I'll keep you peoples posted!

YES I AM A BOY, USE YOUR NOODLE PROF. OAK!

Last edited:

Finch.

Sunlight, sunlight~
Ummm.....use the flying type! You can catch pidgey, Hoothoot, and spearow at the beginning of the game! AND you can use butterfree and zubat.

Finch.

Sunlight, sunlight~
You can only use tododile as an HM slave once you can catch pokemon.

On a side note, my Mono type challenge is going great! the only problem was that I left a slave in my party, and it Koed falkner's pidgeoto when my cyndaquil died.

crazysteve1001

How can you hate it?
ummm, in monotypes runs, are you aloud to use pokemon with two types. Like using Lucario (fighting/steel) in a fighting mono?

Finch.

Sunlight, sunlight~
Yes. you can use dual types. As long as one of it's types fits. Like I plan on ending the game with:

Charizard. Fire/flying
Houndoom Fire/Dark
Blaziken Fire/Fighting
Typhlosion Fire
Rapidash Fire
Arcanine Fire

crazysteve1001

How can you hate it?
Alright, im probalby going to do a Fighting monotype in platinum, but i cant start until monday

Finch.

Sunlight, sunlight~
Ummm..I don't think that will work. Not to rain on your parade, but I don't think oyu can get any fighting types early enough in the game. what about a water monotype?

crazysteve1001

How can you hate it?
I was planning on using chimchar and machop until i get far enough in