• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I explored the basement of the Burned Tower some more after the Legendary Beasts departed, then I went back to the Ecruteak City Pokemon Center to heal my Pokemon. I then wandered east toward the gatehouse that led to Route 42 and Mt. Mortar. I found the Shadow Claw TM outside of the mountain which would be helpful for later, then I ran into some Hiker who came out of Mt. Mortar and he gave me the Strength HM. I couldn't explore Mt. Mortar fully yet so I went back to Ecruteak City, then I went south to National Park and I participated in the Bug Catching Contest for fun. I won second place, then I went to Route 37 in order to train my Pokemon for the upcoming Gym battle. After 30 minutes I saved.

;159; - Level 25
;195; - Level 22
;130; - Level 23
;072; - Level 21
;079; - Level 21

Ganjasaurus

I headed towards Route 203 and ran into Barry. He was anxious to prove himself after losing our first battle in Route 201, But his Starly and Chimchar found HammerTime to be too strong. After beating all the trainers on Route 203, I entered Oreburgh Gate. A Hiker approached me and gave me HM06, Rock Smash. He said I would need it on my adventure, but I must first beat the Oreburgh Gym Leader, Roark, in order to use it out of battle. I thanked the Hiker and beat both trainers in Oreburgh Gate. After exiting Oreburgh Gate i found myself in Oreburgh City. i wandered around, finding a few ítems in the process, aswell as the gym. Barry had beat me to the gym, and said that Roark is in Oreburgh Mine. I returned to Jubilife City to find the Quick Claw and saved after returning to Oreburgh.

Team Ganja

;387; - HammerTime, Level 14
;406; - Bouquet, Level 11

Lorde

I returned to Ecruteak City after training and I headed to the local Gym. Once inside I taught Shadow Claw to Croconaw since I thought it would be useful against Morty's Ghosty-types. I started to battle against the Gym trainers inside, all of whom were Medium class trainers. They used Ghost-types like Gastly and Haunter which were a bit tricky to beat. I mostly used Gyarados and Quagsire against them, then I challenged Morty. I used Croconaw's Bite against Morty's Gastly, then I used Gyarados against his first Haunter. Bite was enough to beat it, then I used Croconaw's Shadow Claw against Gengar but it survived and used Hypnosis. I switched to Gyarados since Croconaw was now asleep, then after beating Gengar I awoke Croconaw and used him against Morty's second Haunter. I defeated Morty despite the issues and I obtained the Fog Badge and the Shadow Ball TM.

;159; - Level 26
;195; - Level 23
;130; - Level 25
;072; - Level 21
;079; - Level 21

karl3550

Squirtle! that's it
I want to do a monotype SS run but i don't know what type to choose. (I might not continue after like 2 gyms or so :p)

RevolutionStorm

Revolutionist
MAN, it has been a while since I posted here... Well, haven't really made much progress since I only recently just found my SoulSilver cartridge, so may as well continue where I left off!

Team at the start of update:
(Hayate);016;
(Kazaashi, soon to be renamed);021;
(Yozora, may be renamed);041;
(Reichi);163;
(Tampopo, soon to be renamed);187;

After I did a bit of grinding, ready to take on the Gym Leader, I decided to conquer the mysterious Sprout Tower. Which I did, using my Pidgey, Hoothoot and Zubat as the primary strike force, reaching the top just to see Riku (just as arrogant a jerk as he was when I last met him) defeat the Sage and flee before I could report his presence to the police... Why nobody else did that, I do not know... I thought there would have been a notice out by now, about a thief who broke into Elm's Lab... *sighs* I must remember to look further into this.

So, once Riku had left, I knew the time had come for me and the Sage to do battle... and it was EASY. VERY easy. So, with a rather disappointingly quick victory at hand, I left the Sprout Tower, finally ready to face my idol and inspiration in battle for my first Gym Badge. Just taking those first steps into Violet Gym made my heart soar. As Flying-Type Pokemon swooped down onto my team, as I fought my way through the Gym Trainers, I felt ecstasy flow through my veins. Until finally... I was there.

Face to face with Falkner himself. I knew it wasn't his true Pokemon roster - instead a weaker team assembled for Gym Challengers - but I did not care. I was finally going to battle my role model... and, finally, I would see how I fare up against the Master of the Skies...

VS. Falkner
VSFalkner.png

The first Pokemon he released was his Pidgey. Smaller than mine, no doubt, but that did not mean it was any less efficient in battle, so I retaliated with Reichi. My first objective was to lull it to sleep with Hypnosis, which I did, before delivering a swift Peck barrage. However, Pidgey woke up after the first Peck attack before it began to lower Reichi's accuracy with a Sand-Attack. In spite of this, he persevered until Reichi managed to connect one last Tackle to finish the job.

Next came Pidgeotto. And I knew, just by the glare in its eye, that this would be far from easy. I recalled Reichi, deciding to lead the assault with Kazaashi. However, to my dismay, she was not fast enough. While she landed two hits with Fury Attack, a Critical Hit Gust soon grounded her.

So, next, I brought Reichi back out, his Accuracy back to normal. However, his first attempt of Hypnosis missed, giving Pidgeotto an opening for a Tackle. The second time, in contrast, I got lucky, and began to try and hit as hard as I could with Peck. After two turns, to my misfortune, Pidgeotto awoke and healed itself with Roost. From there, it finished off Reichi with a Gust once more. So, I decided now was the time to sic my first Flying-Type on him... and sent out Hayate to do battle with his own evolved form.

It was intense. Pidgeotto was faster, but Hayate was determined. Gusts and Tackles were exchanged, with Pidgeotto occasionally healing with Roost, until - once it looked like Falkner was going to heal Pidgeotto again with Roost - I remembered my Pidgey had one advantage that Pidgeotto did not--Quick Attack. Without hesitation, I used the attack... and, finally, Pidgeotto fell. It was amazing! I had defeated Falkner, and he even acknowledged that he was impressed as he handed me the Zephyr Badge and a TM for Roost!

ZEPHYR BADGE OBTAINED!

After I left Violet Gym, Professor Elm called me up regarding Mr. Pokemon's Egg. Before I could ask him why he had not sent notices about Riku, however, he hung up. Oh well... So, after heading to the Poke Mart to restock, I found Professor Elm's aide waiting for me with the Egg in question, asking if I could take it with me. An Egg? A Pokemon I can hatch and raise from infancy, to one day take to the skies, as I am sure it will do? How could I refuse?! I accepted without a second's hesitation and became the proud owner of a Pokemon Egg, boxing Spearow so I could take it with me, before heading down on my journey towards Azalea Town.

After battling the Trainers on Route 32, the highlights of the long road including obtaining a Miracle Seed and the TM for Bullet Seed, which I used on my Hoppip, in order to make the little guy more battle-ready, I received a Fishing Rod from a local fisherman and decided to catch... a Magikarp. Yes, I know, some call 'em useless, but just you guys wait... He'll be flying with the rest of 'em in no time, I'm sure of it! So, with my new buddy (who I will name when I reach Goldenrod) at hand, I headed towards the Union Cave...

And will go through there, after a short break at the Pokemon Center...

CURRENT PARTY:

Spr_4h_016.png

Hayate/Pidgey Lv. 15
Nature: Serious
Personality Trait: Capable of taking hits
Hold Item: N/A
- Tackle
- Sand-Attack
- Gust
- Quick Attack

Spr_4h_041_m.png

Yozora/Zubat Lv. 13
Nature: Rash (+Sp.Atk, -Sp.Def)
Personality Trait: Somewhat vain
- Leech Life
- Supersonic
- Astonish
- Bite

Spr_4h_187.png

Tampopo/Hoppip Lv. 12
Nature: Lonely (+Atk, -Def)
Personality Trait: Somewhat vain
Hold Item: Miracle Seed
- Bullet Seed
- Synthesis
- PoisonPowder
- Tackle

Spr_4h_163.png

Reichi/Hoothoot Lv. 11
Nature: Jolly (+Speed, -Sp.Atk)
Personality Trait: Loves to eat
- Tackle
- Peck
- Foresight
- Hypnosis

Spr_5b_129_m.png

Magikarp Lv. 10
Nature: Rash (+Sp.Atk, -Sp.Def)
Personality Trait: Loves to run(?)
- Splash
-
-
-

Lorde

I left the Ecruteak City Gym after I defeated Gym Leader Morty and his Ghost-type Pokemon and earning myself the Fog Badge. I healed my team at the local Pokemon Center, then I headed north to the Dance Theater place. I saw a Team Rocket grunt who was harassing a Kimono Girl inside, and I battled and beat his weak Koffing with Slowpoke and he left the building. A man walked up to me and gave me the Surf HM for my heroic achievement, and I left to National Park afterwards. I participated in the Bug Catching Contest for fun, then I stayed at National Park to train my Pokemon some more. I headed back to Ecruteak City and I saved the game when I walked through the gatehouse and arrived at Route 38.

;159; - Level 27
;195; - Level 24
;130; - Level 25
;072; - Level 22
;079; - Level 22

karl3550

Squirtle! that's it
I'm doing a monotypechallenge (poison) and this is whati've done:

Just all of the starter stuff, beating the sprout tower and i have FINALLY beat falkner after losing 5 times.

My team so far:

Stinger: lvl13 ;015;
Church: lvl10 ;069;
Fire: lvl11 ;023;
Rapper:lvl10 ;041;

Lorde

I walked along Route 38 and battled against a Bird Keeper nearby before arriving at a White Apricorn tree. After getting a White Apricorn from it, I headed into the tall grass and battled many wild Pokemon including several Magnemite which were annoying to beat given that my team was all Water-types. I battled trainers after leaving quickly to Ecruteak City to heal my Pokemon, and I registered a couple of said trainers in my Pokegear for rematches later. I wandered into Route 39 after traveling on Route 38, and I met Safari Warden Boaba there. I got his Pokegear number and I battled a few more trainers on the route before arriving at MooMoo farm. I fed Oran Berries to the sick Miltank in the stable and saved.

;159; - Level 28
;195; - Level 25
;130; - Level 25
;072; - Level 23
;079; - Level 23

RevolutionStorm

Revolutionist
Okay, I have... sort of gone so far in SoulSilver on my Flying run, that I am not even sure how to recount it at this point... ^^; So, instead, I will start another Monotype run on another Gen IV game. Either HeartGold, Diamond, Pearl or Platinum, I can do them all...

But I wanted to ask if anyone had any suggestions for a good Type to run with? Please do not say Bug, however, as a friend of mine is doing a similar challenge on his copy of SoulSilver.

Lorde

I left MooMoo Farm after feeding the sick Miltank and I picked a Green Apricorn outside. I headed south on Route 39 and I battled a few trainers and explored the tall grass and battled more wild Pokemon. I then arrived in Olivine City and as I walked towards the Olivine Gym, I spotted my rival who told me that the Gym Leader was out. I headed over to the Pokemon Center to heal my team, then I went to the Poke Mart and bought items. I visited some houses around the city and I got the Good Rod from a Fishing Guru in one of the houses. I fished around the water by the harbor and I caught a wild Krabby. I didn't add it to my team though. I just wandered over to the Glitter Lighthouse to find Jasmine.

;159; - Level 28
;195; - Level 26
;130; - Level 25
;072; - Level 24
;079; - Level 23

Charizardfan900

Charizard King!
Hi, I'm planning on doing a SoulSilver Poison type challenge for my first monotype challenge. After much consideration (i thought of doing a Emerald Dark or Grass type or a SS Bug type but I decided on this) i thought Poison type for SS would be best due to the fact that they are relatively abundant in SS and it allows me to appreciate my new found love for the type.

Planned team

1. Gengar
2. Crobat
3. Victreebel
4. Tentacruel
5. Arbok(?)
6. Unsure

If someone could recommend a sixth pokemon and, if possible, a better choice than arbok (never used it so i don't know how powerful it is)

Lorde

I climbed the Glitter Lighthouse and I battled some trainers as I rose higher towards the summit of the building. I had to jump out of the side at one point and I arrived at Gym Leader Jasmine's location eventually. I spoke to her and she told me about the sick Ampharos and how she didn't want to leave it to find medicine. Instead I was given the task of obtaining the SecretPotion for the Ampharos, so I headed down the elevator and I prepared to leave Olivine City after stocking up on items. I headed west towards Route 40 and I walked along the coast. I Surfed and moved along the water and I battled some Swimmers and wild Tentacool along the way. I headed south towards the Whirl Islands and battled more trainers.

;159; - Level 29
;195; - Level 26
;130; - Level 25
;072; - Level 25
;079; - Level 24

Charizardfan900

Charizard King!
So I've started a Poison Monotype challenge.

Only rule (excpet for the poisons only) is I must nickname all Pokemon

;069;
Vinnie the Bellsprout
Level: 10
Moves: Vine Whip, Growth

;015;
Martin the Beedrill
Moveset: Poison Sting, String Shot, Harden, Fury Attack

;092;
Spooks the Gastly
Moveset: Hypnosis, Lick, Spite, Mean Look

;041;
Zusan the Zubat
Level: 9
Moveset: Leech Life, Supersonic, Astonish

Last edited:

Lorde

As I approached Route 41 and the Whirl Islands, I battled against more wild Pokemon and some Swimmers. I soon arrived at the sandy shore of Cianwood City and I healed my Pokemon at the local Pokemon Center upon arrival. I then visited the local pharmacy and I picked up the SecretPotion key item that Jasmine's sick Ampharos needed. I explored some more houses around Cianwood City, then I wandered north and spotted Suicune sitting alone by some rocks. I approached it, but it fled and Eusine showed up again. I battled him and I had a hard time against his Haunter and Electrode, but I defeated him eventually and healed my Pokemon again. I then returned to Route 41 to do some extra training there.

;160; - Level 30
;195; - Level 27
;130; - Level 26
;072; - Level 26
;079; - Level 25

Charizardfan900

Charizard King!
Update 1

Beaten the first two gyms and now in goldenrod. early levels were a pain due to very weak moves but now each team member have decent moves.

Falkner was the toughest challenge so far. His pidgey lost quite easily to Martin the Beedrill, but Pidgeotto took out Martin, Vinnie and Spooks before losing to Zusan the Zubat.

Bugsy was easier. Scyther provided a somewhat difficult challenge, almost fainting new team member Trevor the Tentacool. Spooks, using Hypnosis and Curse, managed too take his health down to orange, before he woke up and used u-turn, hurting spooks quiet badly. He switched to Kakuna and i switched to Venom, the new ekans, who took out the entire team from there by spamming bite.

Current Team

;023;
Venom the Ekans
Level: 16
Moveset: Wrap, Glare, Poison Sting, Bite

;041;
Zusan the Zubat
Level: 16
Moveset: Leech Life, Supersonic, Astonish, Bite

;015;
Martin the Beedrill
Level: 15
Moveset: Poison Sting, Focus Energy, Harden, Cut

;069;
Vinnie the Bellsrpout
Level:16
Moveset: Vine Whip, Growth, Posionpowder, Sleep Powder

;072;
Trevor the Tentacool
Level: 14
Moveset: Poison Sting, Supersonic, Constrict, Acid.

;092;
Spooks the Gastly
Level: 15
Moveset: Hypnosis, Lick, Night Shade, Curse.

Lorde

After Surfing around Route 41 and the Whirl Islands, I headed back to Cianwood City in order to finally challenge the Gym trainers within the Cianwood City Gym. I walked around the shallow water and since I couldn't challenge Chuck yet given that he was sitting under a waterfall, I walked over to battle the Gym trainers. I defeated their Fighting-type Pokemon easily with Gyarados and Slowpoke mostly, then I pressed a button and I finally got to challenge Gym Leader Chuck. I used Feraligatr against his Primeape and I defeated it with Surf. I then switched over to Slowpoke to battle Chuck's Poliwrath and I defeated it with a couple of Confusion attack which were super effective. I then won the Storm Badge and saved.

;160; - Level 31
;195; - Level 28
;130; - Level 27
;072; - Level 27
;079; - Level 27

ThijmenHo

A suggestion for some people: ground type in diamond.
Starter turtwig for tortera (grass/ground)
And you can catch 2 other ground types before the first gym.
(After the 6 gym you can also catch gible)

I'm sorry for my bad english.

Lorde

After winning the Storm Badge, I got the Fly HM from Chuck's wife and I Surfed back to Olivine. I headed back up the Olivine Lighthouse and I took the time to re-battle one of the trainers there. I then set off for the summit so that I could give the SecretPotion to Jasmine. I finally arrived at the top of the lighthouse and after handing Jasmine the potion, she healed Ampharos. With that settled, she returned to the Olivine City Gym and I followed after her. I got out of the lighthouse and I healed my Pokemon at the PC and I also purchased several items at the Mart. I got inside of the Olivine City Gym after training a little bit at the route north of the city and I saved before challenging Jasmine for the Mineral Badge.

;160; - Level 33
;195; - Level 30
;130; - Level 28
;072; - Level 28
;079; - Level 27