• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Monotype Challenge Thread!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Once I had stocked up on items, I headed west from Jubilife City, towards Canalave City. I arrived at the sea area in between the two cities, and I used Surf. I surfed towards the other side, and I encountered a wild Tentacool along the way. I captured that, then I arrived on land again. I battled some trainers there, then I surfed some more until I reached the coast again. I collected some berries there, then I battled some more trainers. I entered the gate, then I arrived in Canalave City. The first thing that I did was heal my Pokemon at the Pokemon Center, then I started to talk to all the NPCs around town. As I was heading towards the other side of the city, I met my rival. He requested another rival battle, so I did that. Once that was done, I entered the Canalave Library, then I set off to Iron Island to begin training for the Gym battle.

;395; - Empoleon level 38
;130; - Gyarados level 37
;055; - Golduck level 37
;419; - Floatzel level 36
;400; - Bibarel level 35
;423; - Gastrodon level 35

ashgirl92

Blazing Glory...
Once I saved the scientist from Team Galactic, I actually turned off my game and looked at my DS time. Why? To see if the date was accurate, and it was. Now, I know that Friday I can go and pick up my newest member, Drifloon.

I started my game back up, and headed toward Eterna Forest. There, I met Cheryl, and I completely took advantage of her wonderful healing abilities and grinded several levels. Along the way, something phenomenal happened. Leann, my... not so strong Zubat actually defeated a pokemon her level by herself! My little Zubat is growing up...

Current Team:

;397; Vanessa Lvl 20

Still my main Poke. Does a great job attacking and I am excited to see what will happen with her.

;041; Leann Lvl 20

The underdog. But getting better. Wing Attack is a blessing for her, it really is.

Lorde

I wandered around Iron Island, then I entered the main cave. I battled some of the wild Pokemon there, then I encountered some trainers as I entered a smaller cave. I went back and entered another cave, and I encountered Riley there. He asked if he could travel around the cave with me, and I said yes. We found more trainers there as we moved on, and we battled them together. I collected some items after battling, then I found another cave. That one was a bit bigger, and me and Riley spent a good 10 minutes battling wild Pokemon and trainers there. We then reached a lift, and we battled some Team Galactic grunts. Afterwards, I got a Riolu egg from Riley, and I headed out to Canalave City. I healed at the Pokemon Center, then I deposited the egg and withdrew Empoleon. I then entered the Canalave City Gym.

;395; - Empoleon level 38
;130; - Gyarados level 38
;055; - Golduck level 37
;419; - Floatzel level 37
;400; - Bibarel level 37
;423; - Gastrodon level 37

ashgirl92

Blazing Glory...
It's Friday! I started up the game and headed straight towards Valley Windworks. There, I met and captured my newest team member, Oliver the Drifloon. He was a few levels lower than everyone else, but I already believe he is going to be a strong asset in my journey.

After getting acquainted with my newest member, I went back to Eterna Forest to train. There, I leveled everyone to around 20-22. I then exited the forest into a new city. Eterna City to be exact. I explored a bit, and I also battled the trainers on Routes 205 and 211. (Those gosh dang Magikarps were SOOO annoying!) I met Cyrus and Cynthia for the first time, and I grinded just a tad before the gym battle. During this time, a miracle happened... evolution!! Leann, my Zubat who... hasn't been doing the best finally evolved! I looked at her stats.. and really, she is technically stronger than Vanessa now. I am finally excited to see how she will turn out.

I healed, and walked into the gym where I plan to get my 2nd badge.

Current Team:

;397; Vanessa Lvl 22

I like her strength. She finally has competition now, and I can't wait to see her final form.

;042; Leann Lvl 22

She is no longer the underdog. Her stats now and what they were... is astounding.

;425; Oliver Lvl 22

My newest member, and now my first special attacker. I think he is going to turn out great! : )

Lorde

I got inside the Canalave City Gym, and I began to challenge the Gym trainers on the ground floor. I was able to defeat them using mostly Gastrodon and Empoleon, then I switched things up as I got to the second floor of the Gym, and I used Golduck, Bibarel and Gyarados. I reached the third floor after battling some more trainers, and then I healed at the Pokemon Center. I returned to the Gym, and I reached the top. I then challenged Byron. He sent out his Bronzor, but I defeated it easily with Golduck's Surf attack. Once that was down, Byron sent out his Bastiodon. I switched to Gyarados, but Bastiodon used AncientPower, and Gyarados was knocked out. I used Floatzel against it, and then I defeated it with Gastrodon's Mud Bomb attack. I then fought Byron's Steelix, but I was able to defeat it easily with Empoleon's Brine attack. I got the Mine Badge from Byron, as well as the Flash Cannon TM.

;395; - Empoleon level 40
;130; - Gyarados level 38
;055; - Golduck level 38
;419; - Floatzel level 38
;400; - Bibarel level 38
;423; - Gastrodon level 39

Drummerdude

Since I just completed my Grass monotype (Which you can read about in the Recent Happenings Thread in the Black/White Forum) I decided to do another monotype. I wanted to do it in Heartgold and I wanted it to be a little different than normal so I chose the Rock type.

I did all the beginning stuff and chose Chikorita so my rival would have Cyndaquil. I got the Mystery Egg and Pokedex, beat my rival, and returned to New Bark Town. Once I was able to actually start my journey...I did. Route 46 was my first destination because I wanted to capture my first team member, a Geodude. I began training the Geodude on Route 29 all the way up to lvl 8. I stood before the first trainer on Route 30 and saved the game.

Current Team
74.png

Teebird

Sorry I haven't posted, school started this past week and AP classes and band are kicking my ***. Anyway, I found my Platinum game, so later today I'll be starting a Bug type mono. My planned team is:

Kricketune
Beautifly
Dustox
Scizor
Yanmega

I'm too impatient and don't like messing with the honey trees which is why I'm not going to try for a Heracross.

EDIT: My Platinum was left in my moms boyfriends truck, and he lives four hours away, so I'm changing it to Soulsilver. Somebody suggest a type besides Bug because I'm saving that for Platinum. Ground, Poison, Psychic, Fighting, or Electric.

Last edited:

GrassTypes.

EDIT: My Platinum was left in my moms boyfriends truck, and he lives four hours away, so I'm changing it to Soulsilver. Somebody suggest a type besides Bug because I'm saving that for Platinum. Ground, Poison, Psychic, Fighting, or Electric.

I'd go with Psychic . You have Espeon , Starmie , Slowbro and Alakazam to use .
You also have Wobbufett .

Charoshi

Charmander is best
And Xatu as well. Give's you surfer, and an optional flyer. Psychic would be my suggestion as well.

7 tyranitars

Gonna do a Mono on my Soulsilver soon, if I can decide which one Grass, Psychic, Rock, Fire or Bug.

Last edited:

Drummerdude

I beat the few remaining trainers on Route 30 before heading into Violet City. The first thing I did upon entering the city was talk to Primo and recieve a Slugma egg which I hatched into Slugma. I spent a little while training up the Slugma before heading to Sprout Tower. I beat all the Sage's with Slugma and Geodude and recieved Flash. I trained my two Pokemon a little more before taking on the gym. I decided to let Slugma defeat the gym trainers and let Geodude battle Falkner. The actual gym battle was pretty dull thanks to Rock Throw. I exited the gym and was on my way towards Azalea.

I took on all the trainers south of Violet City, including the fishermen. Soon I was in the Union Cave training my team. I beat everyone inside and came out near Azalea Town. Team Rocket was there harrassing the citizens and talking about Slowpoke Tail. I met a man named Kirk and he told me to follow him to the Slowpoke Well. I saved before entering the well.

Current Team
74.png
218.png

Teebird

Good job so far Drummer, I like that you're using Slugma.

Anyway, the only problem I see with a Psychic mono is not being able to get a Pokemon until Azalea town, since I have no way to trade. I think I'll just zoom through up until then to nab a Slowpoke skipping as many trainers as possible and then just train him up. Unless anyone else would rather see another one. Anyway, I'll start tonight.:)

Charoshi

Charmander is best
Good job so far Drummer, I like that you're using Slugma.

Anyway, the only problem I see with a Psychic mono is not being able to get a Pokemon until Azalea town, since I have no way to trade. I think I'll just zoom through up until then to nab a Slowpoke skipping as many trainers as possible and then just train him up. Unless anyone else would rather see another one. Anyway, I'll start tonight.:)

Technically, there is Unown ;) (I jest, I jest)

I think I want to do a mono, and I'm leaning towards doing one where I don't trade Pokemon in (ala, no trading a Medicham to SS for a fighting mono) problem is, I can't decide on the type. I'm probably going to do SS though, and I'd prefer a Pokemon that can learn surf and maybe fly. Any suggestions?

Teebird

Ahh, I forgot Unkown. :) I'm going to use that until Slowpoke.

If you want a flyer and surfer, you could do a Poison type and have Tentacruel or Qwilfish and Crobat. or Flying and have Gyarados for your surfer. I'm not sure you can have both a flyer and surfer in a mono on SS without trading though.

EDIT: Rank up.(;

Charoshi

Charmander is best
Hmm, well I've done flying before on LG, but Poison sounds kind of intriguing...
Let's see...
Crobat
Tentacruel
Victreebell/Vileplume
Weezing (Or Beedrill/Venomoth) ((More likely Weezing)
Gengar
Nidoking/Queen

Heh, despite Poison being a lousy stab, that's not a bad team at all. 5/6 dual types, couple of resistant pokemon to ground types, and if I use Venomoth/Beedrill I have a psychic stopper, but Crobat's speed combined with attacks could do that too.

I think I'll use that. Now, should I use a bug, or Weezing?

Teebird

I'd go with Weezing thanks to it's defense, Crobat's speed should be enough to help with Psychic's. Plus Gengar if he can outspeed them. Of course, there are other type's that could learn surf and fly. Like normal could have both. I just look for ones that had both Flying and Water types. Though I would like to read a Poison run on SS and I like the team you've decided on. :)

Charoshi

Charmander is best
I'd go with Weezing thanks to it's defense, Crobat's speed should be enough to help with Psychic's. Plus Gengar if he can outspeed them. Of course, there are other type's that could learn surf and fly. Like normal could have both. I just look for ones that had both Flying and Water types. Though I would like to read a Poison run on SS and I like the team you've decided on. :)

Well it's decided then :)

I shall be starting it later tonight, so I don't have to cheat the clock to get Gastly. Ill catch Zubat in Dark Cave, Gastly in sprout tower and Bellsprout outside Violet. Whomever I see first will effectively be my "Starter Pokemon."

7 tyranitars