• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Nuzlocke Challenge Thread!

Rules:
- No ledgendaries (may be caught, but cannot be used).
- One must only catch the first Pokemon found on each route.
- Pokemon that faint are qualified as dead and will be sent to the box forever.
- Nicknames are mandatory.
- No items aside from Pokeballs
- Getting a Pokemon down to 1 HP while poisoned qualifies as it dying.
- Pokeballs are the only form of capturing device allowed (and Kurt's).

I chose Totodile as my starter and promptly decided on the name Oliver, quickly departing from my hometown with this beloved crocodile and proceeding to grind him up to level 10. Unfortunately, due to my lack of a Pokeball so early in the game I am not able to catch another Pokemon to pair with this wonderful beast, so it is up to him for a bit. I made it to Mr.Pokemon's house and then received my first Pokeballs after speaking with the police officer regarding the theft of a Chikorita. I first ran into a Sentret and decided to capture it, choosing the name Scrappy. Boxed the Sentret as soon as possible and went to route 46 in hopes of a Spearow, of course, I was only rewarded with a Rattata who fell to a critical hit. Killed a Caterpie on the next route as well

Deceased:
None

Team:
Lvl. 11 - Oliver/Totodile

Boxed:
Scrappy - Sentret

Stylinson

After finding my lost Platinum, I decided to Nuzlocke it. I took Turtwig, named Twiggy, from the professor.
~My Rules~
-Catch 1st pokemon
-Nicknames for everyone
-NO duplacates. Period. If that little pokeball is there, no catch.

I then went to tell my mom that i was leaving her. In response, she gave me the runing shoes(because you cant run in regular shoes :/ )I run into Route 202 and caught a Bidoof. Awesome. I named him Dr Doof. After i beat the crap out of some trainers, I arive in Jubilife City where some dude named Looker told me about stuff I dont remember. Went up to Route 204 and caught a Wurmple which I named Derpbug. Trained up a bit, then battled Barry. He managed to kill Dr Doof, sadly. I was planing on using him as an HM slave. Oh well. Caught a Starly, Ms Beast. Trained a bit then went in the cave. Surpizingly(not), I caught a Zubat, Azula in the cave.
I went into the gym, but no one was there. So I ceck out the Mines see an Onix but run out of balls before i could catch it :( . Battle a bit, then talk to the leader(whose name im forgeting right now). He shows me how to break rocks, then runs off to the gym.
I basicly murder him. Killed Geodude in one hit, Onix in two, Cranidos in one due to a critical hit.

M Team So Far:
;387; Twiggy lvl 15
;396; Ms Beast lvl 11
;269; Derpbug lvl 10
;41; Azula lvl 5
;74; Gaia lvl 5

Dead:
;399; Dr Doof

Last edited:

Nakashima

I've started a Nuzlocke run through SoulSilver, and I've decided to keep my progress updated by filming it for youtube. Yes, that does mean I'm using an emulator, but the way I see it, thats not a problem since I do actually legally own both SoulSilver and HeartGold. So I support the official release, and just also choose to enjoy my games in a different way.

Anyways, for anyone that'd like to follow my nuzlocke run through Johto, here is part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2KwHXmKjx4&feature=channel_video_title
I currently have 4 parts uploaded, and I try to add a part every day.

ashgirl92

Blazing Glory...
Oh goodness.. it has been so long. I guess summer offers me zero free time,... oh well.

I leveled up my pokemon a bit, and after 4 massages... Isabel evolved! To an Umbreon of course : ) I went to Burned Tower, and defeated my rival with ease. I explored the rest of the Tower, and saw Suicune. I then stayed in the tower and kept grinding. All of my pokemon reached 25, so I thought I was ready to battle Morty.

In the gym, Isabel basically destroyed all the trainers. Morty was a slightly different matter. Isabel had no trouble with his first three pokemon, but his Haunter was a pain. It kept putting Isabel to sleep, and eventually got her to the red. I put in Quill, but the stupid Haunter used Curse and killed itself...The 4th badge is now mine: )

Current Team:

;197; Isabel Lvl 27
;156; Quill Lvl 25
;180; Chase Lvl 25
;079; Sadie Lvl 25
;214; Vinny Lvl 25

bbbrrritcold

Crazy Trainer
which is more fun, a Platinum or SS nuzlocke?

I wouldn't say that one is more fun than the other. You certainly have more options in SS due to having more places, but I would say that you should go with the one that has pokémon you find more fun.

I am certainly enjoying my SS nuzlocke though.

bbbrrritcold

Crazy Trainer
So I finally progressed enough to give another report.

After losing Victor, I went to train AgentSmith to get him to a good level. While doing this at the Lake of Rage, I missed catching a Pineco as it selfdestructed on AgentSmith (barely harming him...). After that, I trained Nick and Silver in preparation for Morty, planning to use the two of them and Jenna to take him on. I then worked on rounding off my other pokémon's levels, which resulted in me losing Cecelia to a Venonat of all things that poisoned and confused it and then took it out with a crit confusion. I added Amy (the Poliwag) to my team and started training her and also decided to stop traing Bella, using her as an official HM Slave until I get TMs that can make her actually usable.

After this, I headed for Morty. Jenna 1HKO'd his Gastly and first Haunter. Nick then took on the Genger, beating it with two paybacks after the Lum Berry sucked up a hypnosis. Jenna came back out for the last Haunter and took it down with ease.

I then saved and traveled to Union Cave, where I plan to train and then get to the Ruins of Alph. Only after that will I finally head to the lighthouse.

Progress: Four badges.
Current Team:
;169; Jenna - Lvl 25
;128; Nick - Lvl 25
;176; Silver - Lvl 25
;081; AgentSmith - Lvl 25
;061; Amy - Lvl 25
;153; Timas - Lvl 25

Can be called upon:
;017; Gideon - Lvl 25
;015; Bella - Lvl 21

Dead:
;180; Victor - Lvl 20
;074; Cecelia - Lvl 24

ashgirl92

Blazing Glory...
I explored and defeated all the trainers on Route 38 and 39. I also planted some Oran berries in the pots and fed them to the Miltank, allowing me to get the Seal Case. I then went to Olivine City, where I got the Good Rod and went to the Lighthouse. I traveled to the top, and accepted the request to get medicine.

I taught surf to Sadie, and traveled through Routes 40 and 41, where I battled trainers along the way. My Flaaffy, Chase, evolved to an Ampharos in one of the trainer battles. In Cianwood City, I got the medicine, and then explored a little. Eusine was waiting for me after I met Suicune, and he battled me. I actually had a bit of trouble with him. His Electrode and Haunter put three of my Pokemon in the red, but then I eventually defeated him.

After I trained a little at sea, I came back to Cianwood City and went to the gym. The trainers were no match to my Slowpoke, Sadie, but Chuck gave me some trouble. His Primape quickly went down to Sadie's Confusion, but Poliwrath put Sadie and Chase into the red. I knew I couldn't put in Isabel or Quill, so I decided to put in my Heracross, Vinny. He knew Aerial Ace, so I thought it wouldn't be too hard. He put Vinny to sleep... twice. He was in the red, but I decided to risk it and attacked once more. I made the right choice, because a critical hit later I got the fifth badge. : )

Current Team:

;079; Sadie Lvl 32
;197; Isabel Lvl 30
;156; Quill Lvl 30
;181; Chase Lvl 30
;214; Vinny Lvl 30

Current Location: Olivine City
Badges: 7
Body Count: 7

Egads! I've gone awhile without updating!

Before I got to Ecruteak City, I caught an Abra (Psy)! Soon after I got to Ecruteak City, I completed the Burned Tower. Then I trained and caught a Magnemite (Cyclone). I got to Olivine City before heading back. On the way to Olivine City, I evolved Abra into Kadabra. I soon found my friend wanting a Golem, so we traded and traded back. With my new Alakazam, I thought I would destroy all! Boy was my mind changed! Morty was trouble. Alakazam was faster than everything! Since Gastly, Haunter and Gengar all were part poison, I figured this would be a cake-walk. Gengar survived a Psybeam and killed Psy. I sent out Cyclone and it managed to take out Gengar due to its part steel typing. But Haunter kept putting it to sleep! I soon took it out by luckily waking up at the right times. I got the Fog Badge and moved on to Cianwood City. On the way however, Cyclone met its demise with Tentacruel.:( However one good thing came out of this. Ricksta took Tentacruel out and evolved into Graveler. Too bad my friend was away for the weekend. Oh well.

I got challenge to Eusine after chasing Suicune away. He took out Ricksta out with Drowsee, something I thought I could handle. After that, the fight was smooth. I fished for a Krabby. I caught one and it soon died. I fought Morty after catching a Tentacool on a different route. Morty was beaten with another loss. Tentacool was needed to win. It served me well.

I withdrew Zubat out of the P.C. using it as a fly slave. However I soon had to use it as a death otter for Bean. Too bad.:( I caught yet ANOTHER Krabby, hoping it could help. It learned Metal Claw and fought a hiker, thinking it would be easy. Sadly, Onix outsped Krabby and another one bites the dust. I was starting to lose hope. I caught ANOTHER Tentacool (Blooper) and then I entered a bug catching contest. I caught a Caterpie and it got boxed. I arrived in Mahogany Town and destroyed the Lake of Rage. I beat the Rocket Hideout rather fast and caught an Electrode (*smirk*) to use. I challenge the seventh gym before the sixth. Yes, that's right. The gym leader was easy except Bean died trying to help against Piloswine. I don't know why, but when I do a Nuzlocke, my starter always dies at some point. I think I'm cursed! Electrode took care of the rest. I got the seventh badge and gone to train a lot for Jasmine, for I don't have a fire type. This could cause problems for me. While training, Tentacool evolved into Tentacruel! I knew soon I would have a much better chance against Jasmine. I unexpectedly ran into Entei. Oh the torture that held!

After much training, Tentacruel dominated Jasmine. OHKO's were coming just like that! And this is where I am now. Sorry if this seems like a chapter to a novel, but I played WAAAAAAAAY too much since my last post.

Current Team:
;012;Louis Lv. 31
;101;*smirk* Lv. 27
;073;Blooper Lv. 33

Flame Mistress

I'm gonna start a Platinum Nuzlocke, and these will be my rules:
-Nicknames are compulsory.
-I can only catch the first Pokemon I encounter on each route.
-1hp down from Poisoning counts as Dead.
-No legendaries.
I'll be updating regularly, and I've already decided to have Chimchar as my starter... This is my first Nuzlocke ever, so I'm going a bit easy on myself and allowing healing items. =| But who knows, there might be some potion shortage or whatnot in the future... XD

Continuing on my quest to Nuzlocke all generations, I started my Diamond Nuzlocke yesterday.

-Normal Nuzlocke Rules
-All Pokémon must be nicknamed
-Duplicate species of anything previously obtained is forbidden
-Dead Pokemon to be permaboxed
-No purchasing healing items; can only use what is found/given

So I started out with Chimchar and named him Goku. /original After going through all the beginning game nonsense, I caught a Bidoof on Route 101 (named Slavka) and then a Starly on Route 102 (Avery).
Now I'm training up Goku and Avery on Rt 102 before continuing on to Jubilife City.

;390; Goku, level 10
;396; Avery, level 9
;399; Slavka, level 4

None, yet!

RiotFire

Currently Nuzlocking Platinum... it's been painful so far to say the least!
Exploding Geodudes!!!! I absolutely hate exploding Geodudes!!!! Taken three of my team already and I'm only at Hearthome Gym!

Remaining team:

;410; Hank Lv:24
;470; Bobby Lv:25
;130; Wanda Lv:20
;400; Betsy Lv:25
;207; Esme Lv:25

Badges: 2
Losses: 6

Sinnoh is a harsh place!

Flame Mistress

Okay, so I'm not even at my first badge yet, but oh well. I chose Chimchar as my starter, as I promised, and named him Alexander because his nature was Bold. Then I caught a lv3 female Starly on Route 201 and named her Stella. The first Pokemon I met on Route 202 was a Bidoof, which I decided to KO since I'm not really fond of these creatures. So I arrived at Jubilife City, got my Pokétch, yadda yadda. I have yet to battle my rival, Raldo (lolwut?). So here's my progress so far:

Alive
Chimchar, Alexander, lv8
Starly, Stella, lv7

Dead
None, yet!

After delivering my rival's parcel in Jubilife City, I received my complimentary Poketch. Then I fought my rival on route 203 and easily beat him. In the tall grass, I caught myself a male Shinx, named Lex. I trained for a while and also made a stop on route 204 where I captured a male Budew (Christophe). Passing through Oreburgh Gate, I stumbled upon a Zubat, but accidentally KO'd it. Unfortunate, but oh well. On Route 207, I came across a Geodude (although I was hoping for Machop), caught it, and named him Brock. He was quickly replaced though, as I found an Onix (Metalix) in Oreburgh Mine. I trained Metalix for a few levels, contemplating using a Steelix in my final team, but decided against it. I'm very indecisive about my team right now...
Anyway, I spent a while leveling up before fighting Roark. Avery evolved into a Staravia, Lex evolved into Luxio, and Goku evolved into Monferno. When I thought everyone was decently leveled, I took on Roark.
His entire team fell easily to Christophe's Mega Drain and Goku's Mach Punch.
With my first badge in hand, I headed back to Jubilife City.

;391; Goku, level 19
;397; Avery, level 15
;404; Lex, level 15
;406; Christophe, level 18
;095; Metalix, level 10
;399; Slavka, level 4

;074; Brock, level 8

None, yet!

Flame Mistress

So, I had my first Gym Battle with Roark, and unfortunately Choppa died right at the end, though we won. Poor Choppa... RIP, lv.5 ~ lv.13.
I caught a lv.9 Wurmple, which got boxed, a lv.10 Shinx, which unfortunately died on the hands of Team Galactic, and a lv.10 Buizel called Nathan which is still alive. I boxed Melissa too.

Alive
Alexander, Monferno, lv.16
Stella, Staravia, lv.15
Nathan, Buizel, lv.11

Boxed
Silky, Wurmple, lv.10
Melissa, Ponyta, lv.7

Dead
Lucy, Shinx, lv.10
Choppa, Machop, lv.13

RiotFire

Beat the 3rd Sinnoh Gym. Caught a Chansey (I know! how rare!), realised what a freakin chore it is to raise!!! Thankfully solaceon daycare was just up the road. Caught another gastly, an unown, a scyther and a ponyta (who soon met its end at the hands of a Buizel with aqua jet!) and just arrived in Veilstone.

Current team:

Bobby: ;470; Lv 27
Betsy: ;400; Lv 26
Esme: ;207; Lv 26
Wanda: ;130; Lv 26
Hank: ;410; Lv 26
Jean: ;123; Lv 20

Badges: 3
Losses: 7

bbbrrritcold

Crazy Trainer
Haven't done a whole lot.

With Surf in my hands, I went to catch something in Cherrygrove (a Tentacool (Morgan, boxed) with a bad nature) and decided to surf in the Ruins of Alph instead of trying for a Natu. I caught a Wooper (Serenity, party for Amy) who shall become my physical water type. Quagsire is one of my favorite pokémon, after all.
Continuing my surfing, I went to the Lake of Rage and got some items before AgentSmith took out the stupid Red Gyrados that could have KO'd him had it not started with Leer. Chatted with Lance and was going to head into the Rocket Hideout before realizing that training Serenity beforehand would be a good idea. I went to Olivine and, after surfing some more, I found that Tentacools are an amazing way to train a Water Absorb wooper/quagsire. And that is what I am currently doing. I still have to deal with the Rockets, lighthouse and lower levels of Union Cave before heading to Cianwood.
EDIT Commence!
So I finished that and quickly went into the rocket base and my team wiped the floor with EVERYTHING! I didn't even need Lance for the double battle, sadly enough, considering my level 27 Jenna (Crobat) was faster than his level 40 Dragonite and Silver took out Ariana's Arbok in one (critical) hit.
And I caught the first Electrode, since it counts as wild. I named him 1337 and he is in the box in case I lose another electric type.
Now to Union Cave (with Amy and Gideon)!

Progress: Four Badges (still)
Current Team:
;195; Serenity - Lvl 26
;176; Silver - Lvl 26
;153; Timas - Lvl 26
;169; Jenna - Lvl 27
;128; Nick - Lvl 27
;081; AgentSmith - Lvl 27

Upon which I can call:
;015; Bella - Lvl 21
;017; Gideon - Lvl 25
;061; Amy - Lvl 25

Dead:
;180; Victor - Lvl 20
;074; Cecelia - Lvl 24

Last edited:
I made it to Floaroma Town and immediately headed east to take care of the Team Galactic problem at the Valley Windworks. After the Grunt locked himself inside, I obtained the Works Key from the two in Floaroma, and charged through the place. I was up against Commander Mars, but it was easy with a Spark from Lex on Zubat, and a few Mach Punches from Goku to take care of Purugly. Once I ran TG out, I hunted in the tall grass on Route 205 and found Zoey, the Shellos. I happily added her to my team and proceeded to train her up to be on par with the others.
Then realizing it was Friday, I headed back to the Windworks and got myself a Drifloon (Floona). As it's my favorite Pokemon in the universe, I added her to my team as well (now let's hope she doesn't die or I will be sooo upset).
I still want to level up Zoey a bit more before finishing up Route 205 and taking on Eterna Forest.

;391; Goku, level 20
;397; Avery, level 18
;404; Lex, level 18
;406; Christophe, level 19
;422; Zoey, level 16
;425; Floona, level 22

;074; Brock, level 8
;095; Metalix, level 10
;399; Slavka, level 4

None, yet!

bbbrrritcold

Crazy Trainer
Back again. Another smallish update.

I blazed through the lower levels of Union Cave with my team and then headed to the lighthouse and blazed through there as well. I was sad that Gideon didn't even level up once, so I trained him via my standard "Flying Type Training," meaning I took him into the bug catching contest with no intention of catching a bug.
I then set sail for Cianwood. Serenity, Timas and AgentSmith mauled the trainers on routes 40 and 41. AgentSmith evolved and I got a usable Tentacool (Susan, boxed) before getting to Cianwood. I fought Eusine and beat each of his pokémon in two hits. I then went and got my Shuckle (Shuckie, boxed) from the guy who was apparently harassed by my rival. I then found another Shuckle (Desdemona, boxed) while Rock Smashing for items. I may actually use one on an Elite Four team. It'd be fun to wall Lance to hell...
I saved before taking to the gym to destroy all trainers.

Current Team:
;015; Bella - Lvl 21
;061; Amy - Lvl 27
;128; Nick - Lvl 28
;176; Silver - Lvl 28
;169; Jenna - Lvl 28
;017; Gideon - Lvl 29

Boxed but Ready:
;153; Timas - Lvl 30
;195; Serenity - Lvl 30
;082; AgentSmith - Lvl 30

Dead:
;180; Victor - Lvl 16 - 20
;074; Cecelia - Lvl 3 - 24

Question: is it considered cheating if I take my Magneton to Pearl to make it a Magnezone?
Just wondering. I was planning on allowing trading with myself for trade evolutions, so I was just wondering. If it is not, I'll probably also attach a Dawn Stone to it when trading it back to make Silver a Togekiss. Or not. Haven't decided that one yet.

Last edited: