• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Nuzlocke Challenge Thread!

Grassmen

Novice Breeder
HeartGold14.png

Feeling tired, so a shorter post. Beat Pryce, headed to the Rocket Tower, where Petrel's Weezing killed Fable with Explosion (completely forgot about that move >.< ). After defeating my rival and clearing out Team Rocket for good, I travelled towards the Ice Cave, catching Gustaf the Lickitung on the way. He's become a major powerhouse since joining the team and evolving.

On the other side of the Ice Cave, in Blackthorn City, I narrowly avoided any deaths to earn my 8th and final badge, but Clair refused to part with the badge, demanding I enter the Dragon's Den. There, unfortunately, a trainer's Dragonair killed Hovver with a critical hit Thunder.

(Hovver and Silk were/are becoming less and less useful anyway, but its still a big loss, since he had been such a great help).

Got my badge, and saved. Now need to find a 6th member for the team... I have an entire box full of randoms caught along the way, but they're all so underlevelled, I think it's probably better to concentrate my efforts on raising the other 5 to appropriate levels rather than take away experience training someone else who will still end up underlevelled at the end of it. Again, the grinding rule limits my options somewhat.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Disaster struck. The Kimono Girls ripped most of my team to pieces. If it weren't for the 15 Lemonades I'd bought prior to the battles, I'd have lost everyone. Espeon killed my Fly Slave (I had to switch into someone, but no-one could reliably take the attack). Flareon critical'd Gustaf with Fire Blast for a OHKO, then Jolteon OHKO'd Silk with Thunderbolt. Neither Herali or Cocora had enough HP to take a thunderbolt, but Wyse did (even with the super effective hit, his SpDef and HP were both high) - Wyse just failed (literally by 1 or 2 HP) to defeat Jolteon with silver wind. I couldn't switch, and even if I healed Wyse, I would have run out of lemonades before I would have died, so I healed Herali instead and watched Wyse fall. Healed, Herali was able to finish Jolteon off. Vaporeon nearly killed Herali too - Herali had 1HP left at the end of the battle.

Now I really don't know what I'm going to do. I have two Pokemon left (Cocora and Herali), and with the no grinding rule, I can't train anyone else up properly. Cocora defeated Ho-oh (wouldn't catch it, too risky AND I don't really want to have to resort to legendaries) but I'm still at a loss. I think this run is over :(

-------------------------------

Damn, it's over :(
I managed to make it all the way to Lance with my new team (consisting of Lactia the Miltank, Equatic the Kingdra, Scorro the Gligar, and Sumome the Machamp), and after defeating 4 of his team, with 4 of mine left, I felt I had a chance. Then one of his Level 49 Dragonite's just kept getting critical after critical. I probably would have won otherwise. I only had that Dragonite and Charizard left to go. Very frustrating :(

---------------------------------

(Wow, this thread died...)
Anyway, started a new run on Platinum. Grinding is allowed this time, but I have to play on 'set mode'. I'm also not allowing dupes. Just beat the first gym. Team consists of Monarquin (Prinplup) and Eleline (Luxio).

Last edited:

Eivui

Uses of Psychics
I've lost the challenge. I did the battle against Morty underleveled and Gengar swept me.

I don't think I'll be doing another run anytime soon. I'm not skilled enough to complete one...

jacobii

Third Wheel in J#+IB
This is my first Nuzlocke challange. I am playing on Heartgold and am using the standard rules except I am not going to catch duplicates. (With my luck I'll end up with 20 raticates.) I don't know if I will use legendaries. I'll just see if it becomes to difficult. Another rule that I am using. I am allowing myself to use ONE single revive since this is my first challenge.

Grassmen

Novice Breeder
Currently in Solaceon Town, just preparing to leave for Veilstone.

I've had three deaths so far - Eleline the Luxio fell to a critical Grass Knot from Gardenia's Roserade. A trainer's Gastly in Hearthome Gym got major confusion hax against Alloy the Bronzor and killed it. Then, Barry's Buizel killed Helia the Drifloon with a Pursuit critical; I'd purposely not switched the turn before incase it had pursuit, which it didn't use on that turn. I healed Helia up, and then as I went to switch, there's the pursuit crit. OHKO. She was going to be my secret weapon against Maylene :(

Somehow, I've ended up with possibly the girliest team ever.

Monarguin (Prinplup) Lvl. 31
Luna (Clefairy) Lvl. 27
Bebbit (Lopunny) Lvl. 27
Gene (Flareon) Lvl. 29
Nutrili (Cherrim) Lvl. 29
Grace (Gardevoir) Lvl. 30

jacobii

Third Wheel in J#+IB
I started my challenge yesterday and picked cyndiquil AKA Big Ben as my starter. I caught a Pidgey AKA YYZ and raised it to level 9 by grinding and repeated for my Geodude AKA RochE II. Today I plan on getting the first badge and do more if I feel like it.

My goal is to have no deaths until I face Whitney (I have nightmares about that Miltank.)

Team
Cyndiquil AKA Big Ben lv 10
Pidgey AKA YYZ lv 9
Geodude AKA RochE II lv 9 None deceased so far!

bbbrrritcold

Crazy Trainer
I must be the riskiest/luckiest Nuzlocke trainer ever.
I decided, against my normal credo, that I didn't need to grind for the next gyms. Once AgentSmith evolved (na dI brought back a Dusk Stone for Joaquim), I knew I could take on all of Pryce's gym. But first was Jasmine. And I did so, but decided to take on Jasmine before taking down Pryce.
Serenity 1HKO'd the first Magnemite after a turn of confusion. Steelix came in then and Amy took over the fight. I used surf first, guessing I would outrun it's Sandstorm. And I was exactly correct, so second turn I used Rain Dance and Surfed it again third turn. Even a crit Iron Tail didn't bother Amy. The last Magnemite came in and, not wanting to waste time, Beans wasted it with a Flamethrower.
After getting the badge, Jenna flew us back to Mahogany where I took on Pryce without grinding any more. AgentSmith started against his Seel and took it down with some Thundershocks. In a risky move (but I had nothing better), Beans came in for his Piloswine. It used Hail, allowing for safe a 2HKO with Flamethrowers. Finally was his Dewgong. AgentSmith took it down with two Charge Beams (the first boosting the stats to make the KO past Pryce's Hyper Potion.

Afterwards, I decided to do at least some of the grinding I should have done. I took Joaquim to Cianwood and mushed up Tentacools until level 35, where he could learn Faint Attack before evolving and Nasty Plot after. He also knows Psychic, as I brought the TM to him from Pearl (I item traded, handing over a Shadow Claw TM and my King's Rock from Slowpoke Well for the items [so I am not just giving myself extra stuff]). Due to this, the boxed pokémon may be boxed for a while, as Joaquim with Psychic, Faint Attack and Fly covers all of their moves except the normal type ones (like Strength...but I can either find someone else or have Nick be strictly physical and Joaquim strictly special). I am currently deciding where to train the others, as I want my team to be 35 before the Rockets so I have less grinding to do for Blackthorn.

Progress: 7 badges.
Current Team:
;061; Amy - Lvl 30
;153; Timas - Lvl 30
;038; Beans - Lvl 30
;195; Serenity - Lvl 30
;462; AgentSmith - Lvl 33
;430; Joaquim - Lvl 35

Boxed but Noteworthy:
;015; Bella - Lvl 21
;128; Nick - Lvl 30
;169; Jenna - Lvl 30
;176; Silver - Lvl 30

Deceased:
;180; Victor - Lvl 16 - 20
;074; Cecelia - Lvl 3 - 24
;017; Gideon - Lvl 2 - 29

FlairGuy77

A New Start
Haven't posted in a while due to me not finding the time or playing on Heartgold. Grinded Budew, Chimchar and Starly to level 16. Obviously Chimchar and Starly evolved at level 14. Abra is now level 15.

Swept Roark using Monferno and Budew with no casualty's. I beat the Galactic Grunts outside in Valley Windworks and he ones in Floroama Town. I saved after applying Honey to a tree.

Team
;391; - level 17,
;397; - level 16,
;406; - level 16,
;063; - level 15,
;399; - level 8 - HM slave

Dead:
None Yet

jacobii

Third Wheel in J#+IB
I easily breezed through the bellsprout tower with Quillava. I dominated Falkner with Geodude and got my first badge. I have no deaths so far. (The evil Miltank in Goldenrod City still haunts my dreams. I hope Geodude will be able to take it.)

Last edited:

(Shuckle)

Fav.Poke EP #172
Okay, I started my Nuzlocke challenge in my Diamond.

Got my starter Pokemon as a Piplup. After beating the wild Starly I encountered at the very beginning of the game, went to Prof. Rowan and nicknamed him 'Pengu'. Went to Route 2, encountered a Shinx. Caught it and nicknamed him 'Lio'. Battled the last trainer on Route 2, then I got defeated from that trainer.

Game over.. :(

Typhoon_HG

Returning User
Custom rules:
- No Repels.
- Can catch things like the Red Gyarados but cannot use them.

I just started an SS nuzlocke challenge. I chose Chikorita as my starter and named her 'Sunshine.' I made my way to Mr. Pokemon's house and received the 'Mystery Egg.' On the way to my first rival battle, Sunshine grew to Lv. 6. I took out Silver's Cyndaquil, gained a Level, and proceded to Elm's lab.

I went to Route 29 and caught my first (well, second) pokemon - a Hoothoot. I named her 'Rythm' and proceded to Violet City. On the way here, I caught a Geodude, simply named him 'Rocky', and boxed him. Right before I went into Sprout Tower I caught a Mareep on Route 32 and named her 'Static.' I breezed through Sprout Tower where I caught a Gastly named 'Spook.'

I then trained all my pokemon to Lv. 10 and challenged the gym. Static OHKO'd both gym trainer's pokemon as well as Falkner's Pidgey, and 2HKO'd his Pidgeotto. Afterwards I received the Mystery egg from Elm's assistant and here I saved my game.

Current team:

;152; Sunshine Lv. 10
;163; Rythm Lv. 10
;179; Static Lv. 13

Boxed:

;074; Rocky
;092; Spook

Last edited:

psyrose3

I started my fourth Nuzlocke challenge in HeartGold a week ago. I chose Chikorita. I'm doing the basic rules, but I included no dupes and one Pokéwalker Pokémon as well. We've gotten two badges; I've successfully murdered half of my potential catches. I have no clue when I can get a water type.

Our first fallen member died during grinding for Bugsy. It turned out I didn't really need to grind much at all, as Rock Throw pretty much murdered his Scyther lead. Said Rock Throw also destroyed Falkner; however, Gust did a bit of damage due to Brianna being Naughty.

I'm regretting starting with Chikorita/not realizing there are Wooper at Route 31 at night. I don't have anyone who can reliably counter my rival's Cyndaquil/Quilava. Shonda's very good at support, so this might help later on... Hopefully nothing will go wrong during grinding; I very much want John to live, unlike Flan in my first Nuzlocke. Since I'm getting everyone up to level 25, I (can?) at least have a Golem to smack people around with. Trapeeze got delegated to an HM slave role, despite having a good attacking nature (Modest, and no special moves to attack with). Chris...I feel he's gonna be the next to die, what with my mass grinding and all. I just need to watch out for Pursuit, that's all.

I just got Kenya. I giggled a little when I read Webster's letter: "Zubat was the one thing I wanted to avoid". John was in the front of the party, and he was still a Zubat.

Current Team (before the grindan):

;042; John Lv. 22
;240; Chris Lv. 12 (Pokéwalker mon, since the RNG hates my guts)
;074; Brianna Lv. 18
;153; Shonda Lv. 18
;162; Trapeeze Lv. 18
;021; Kenya Lv. 20

Noteworthy Boxed Mons

;029; Wanda Lv. 12
;214; Klepto Lv. 3

;092; Ross Lv. 4-15

bbbrrritcold

Crazy Trainer
I have no clue when I can get a water type.
I'm regretting starting with Chikorita/not realizing there are Wooper at Route 31 at night. I don't have anyone who can reliably counter my rival's Cyndaquil/Quilava.

Don't worry about that so much. As long as it isn't underleveled, your Geodude (or anything you teach dig) will do fine until you get to the point where you can get the good rod. Then you can fish for things other than Magikarp. Also, if you skipped Ruins of Alph, surfing there will get you a Wooper or Quagsire, which is nice.

I had no water type (other than a Magikarp, which I hate) until Olivine, but once I got the good rod I had two Krabbys and a Poliwag before surfing and two Tentacools and a Wooper after learning that.

Grassmen

Novice Breeder
HeartGold21.png

I had started Platinum, but I couldn't get into it, so I'm trying HG again.

This is my team after defeating Falkner. For the most part, it's been pretty plain sailing. I've had 2 deaths however, from a wild Bellsprout >.<
It killed Avessa the Pidgey and Caterat the Rattata with Vine Whips, as my moves kept missing. Falkner was pretty easy. Now I'm going to move on to Azalea Town.

I'm playing by the following optional rules.
1. Set mode.
2. Cannot exceed the highest level of an enemy in official matches. Same number of Pokemon must be used (e.g. Falkner, 2v2 battle)
3. Duplicates allowed.

Typhoon_HG

Returning User
Well, I went through Route 32. I mainly used Sunshine due to all the fisherman. I had the chance to catch a Rattata in Union Cave, but had to run due to having no pokeballs. I took a quick trip back to Violet City to stock up on Pokeballs and healing items. I went into the grass after the Union Cave and caught an Ekans. I named her Jessie for obvious reasons. I headed to Azalea and saw Kurt run to the Slowpoke Well.

Right when I was about to enter the well, Togepi hatched. I named him Tiny and proceded. I caught a Zubat and named her Supersonic, since she annoyed me with it. After growing to level 5, Tiny swept everything in here with Extrasensory. He took out Rocket Executive Proton at only level 9.

I then headed to Bugsy's gym. Here, Static evolved. After I defeated all of the trainers, I healed and came back to challenge Bugsy. I was unprepared for his level 17 Scyther, which 2HKOed Rythm with Quick Attack... I then sent out Static, who paralyzed it. It got a Thundershock in before it used U-Turn. He sent out his Kakuna, who didn't give me much trouble. I healed while it Tackled me and Static's ability paralyzed it. I took it out along with his Metapod. When he sent out Scyther again. One final Thundershock knocked it out and we got our Hive Badge.

I went straight to the pokemon center, deposited Rythm into the PC, and healed. I moved Jessie to the front of my party so she could gain some levels. I forgot about my rival and was a bit unprepared. Static defeated his Gastly and then he sent out Quilava. I almost lost Static (stupid Smokescreen + Leer). I switched Static with Sunshine and finished it with a Tackle. I sent Static back out for his Zubat and KOed it with a Thundershock. I healed and saved here.

Current Team:

;153; Sunshine Lv. 16
;180; Static Lv. 18
;175; Tiny Lv. 10
;023; Jessie Lv. 8

Boxed:

;074; Rocky Lv. 2
;092; Spook Lv. 4
;041; Supersonic Lv. 6

Cannot use:

;163; Rythm Lv. 13

Grassmen

Novice Breeder
HeartGold22.png

This is my team after beating Morty. I've decided to train multiple pokemon, so that I can suit my team to each major battle. It's more interesting this way too. I'm going to complete the Mahogany side first. Since my last update, I've only lost Minerva the Rattata, so it's all gone pretty well so far.

Using the same number of Pokemon as the gym leader (and at the same level) is also pretty interesting. Against Bugsy, Locere (Butterfree) put Scyther to sleep, Herbi (Bayleef) came in and set up a Reflect, then Sherew (Sandshrew) took Scyther down, then easily beat his Kakuna and Metapod. For Whitney, Dextra (Aipom) Headbutted Clefairy twice to get the KO, then reduced Miltank's abilities with Tickle and Sand Attack, to allow Spearmint (Beedrill) to take it's berry with Bug Bite and get the win with Twineedle. Locere, Dextra, Prowess (Fearow) and Loreine (Stantler) were all used and each easily defeated a member of Morty's team.

Last edited:

psyrose3

Everything that could've gone wrong almost did.

Whitney turned into an utter wuss. She only used Stomp; Shonda walled that cow to death, even after Taunt wore off. I didn't use any of my grinded mons for Whitney. I decided, oh hurr durr, to go to Ecruteak, Olivine, and then Mahogany.

You see, I can ninja past trainers just fine. I came out of Mt. Mortar and went straight for the grass. It was a Mareep; I got a second chance at catching a Mareep. You better believe I caught him. I named him Lewis. I was so happy, thinking how it was so fun to have a Mareep in the two games you're Nuzlocking...and then it happened. I went up to the Lake of RAEG. The first trainer, he had a Sandshrew, a Zubat, and a Sandslash. And then he killed off another team member. I...that sucked so hard. I didn't believe it, he was the one who set up the Taunt for me against that Miltank. I looked at my death box, and wondered how those same Pokemon, who'd been utter bros in my LeafGreen Nuzlocke, were the first ones to die in HeartGold.

Had it not been for the fact that we were heading out for lunch, I would've lost Lewis as well; I forgot that sometimes, severly underleveled Dugtrio can have the Arena Trap ability. But we reached the restaurant. I corrected that mistake when I got back in the car. Then the thought hit me. It hit me like a train, with magnets everywhere for no reason. As I made my way back to Ecruteak, I realized that I could go get myself an Eevee. You see, the other game that I'm Nuzlocking (or in this case, catching everything to prevent FFFFFF since the computer cheats SO MUCH) is Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness. Since I played that game so many times, one of my rules was to use either Vaporeon or Ampharos, but not both.

I don't have that restriction in HeartGold. (Complacent gaming syndrome, anyone?)

I hurried back to Goldenrod, and then I thought, "Meh, I don't have to get a Vaporeon. I'll see the nature and take it from ther-QUIET. OH NO WAY MAN THIS IS AWESOME YES." And so I was finishing up Lewis's GRINDAN and beginning Wes's. I now realized, as I was forced to go to Burned Tower, that Brianna could essentially plow through my rival's team. This helped immensly. Then I decided to train Wes in Morty's gym. You have no idea how many times Lewis nearly died. I really hate Curse now.

At least I have a solution to the water type issue, but how am I gonna beat Chuck? And Pryce? :\ I guess I'ma hafta grind forever.

Also, if you skipped Ruins of Alph, surfing there will get you a Wooper or Quagsire, which is nice.

GAH! T_T At least I have a Helix Fossil, and two Old Ambers...

Current Team:

;133; Wes Lv. 16
;180; Lewis Lv. 25
;162; Trapeeze Lv. 25
;153; Shonda Lv. 25
;169; John Lv. 25
;076; Brianna Lv. 26

Noteworthy Boxed/Daycare Mons

;029; Wanda Lv. 12
;214; Klepto (in daycare. iunno what level he's at.)
;022; Kenya Lv. 24
;130; Natalie Lv. 21

;092; Ross Lv. 4-15
;065; Blitzy Lv. 15-21 (If only I had switched out to prevent confusion hax. Brilliant.)

Last edited:

ashgirl92

Blazing Glory...
My goodness it's been forever. I am sure no one remembers my nuzlocke anyway...

So, I think I left at exploring the Safari Zone. I went through some of the zones, and bought a few things at the market. (Most notably, Quick Balls. Those things are amazing!) I defeated the remaining trainers and grinded until all my Pokemon were level 35. I then headed over to Olivine City to get my 6th badge.

At the gym, the trainers refused to battle me. (Which is a shame, I always need exp!) I marched directly up to Jasmine and challenged her with confidence. After all, I did have my Quilava, Quill, and my Heracross, Vinny, ready to kick some steel butt. My confidence was well deserved, as Quill quickly destroyed the two Magnemites, and would have O.H.K.Oed her Steelix with a burn if she didn't heal it. After about 2 minutes, the entire gym battle was won. I exited the gym and flew to Ecruteak City to surf to Mahogany Town, where I saved.

Current Team:

;156; Quill Lvl 35
;181; Chase Lvl 35
;079; Sadie Lvl 35
;197; Isabel Lvl 35
;214; Vinny Lvl 35

Crocker

Let's Roggenrola!
Ok, I've decided to restart my Platinum Nuzlocke after 2 weeks...but my team is so weird...

Team:

;392; Vossebelt lv. 39 (!)
;315; Rose lv. 23
;113; Shalala lv. 20

Gotta level up, but I don't feel like it now :/

ashgirl92

Blazing Glory...
At Mahogany Town, I looked around a bit before I headed up north to the Lake of Rage. I battled all the trainers along the way, and two of my Pokemon leveled up! Quill evolved into Typhlosion, and Sadie FINALLY evolved into Slowbro. Upon arriving at the lake, I noticed something peculiar. There was a Gyarados in the middle of the water... but it was red. I knew something was up, so I went closer to get a good look, but it attacked me! Chase took care of it quickly, and when I reached the shore, I met an odd but powerful fellow, named Lance. He requested my help, so I immediately responded and went back to Mahogany.

After healing, I went inside where the weird signal was, and I found Lance taking care of the goons quite nicely. He found the hidden staircase, and I followed him. I promptly began taking out all the Rocket grunts with ease, and I quickly got the two passwords and went into the locked room. There, I fought Petrel, who was actually quite easy to defeat. I followed the Murkrow, where he opened the door to where the signal was coming from. However, I didn't get inside, because a few people blocked my way.

Silver, my rival met me at the door, ranted about Lance, shoved me, and left. (How rude!) I continued, but then Ariana and a grunt challenged me to a battle. Lance came, and helped me out. Afterwards, we went into the room, and made the Electrodes faint. I made it out of the Team Rocket place, and healed up. I saved right before the gym.

Current Team:

;157; Quill Lvl 37
;181; Chase Lvl 35
;080; Sadie Lvl 37
;197; Isabel Lvl 35
;214; Vinny Lvl 35