• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Nuzlocke Challenge Thread!

Frozen Ghost

Cool! This is my first Nuzlocke challenge! If I do something wrong let me know. ;p

Ok, so my rules are going to be-
-A "dead" pokemon must be placed in the PC box, and never be used. Ever.
-Only heal using Potions and Pokemon Centres, 1 revive per Gym battle, E4, Champion allowed.
-Only catching the first Pokémon encountered in each area when I have Pokeballs (e.g. before I get Pokeballs it doesn't count), none else.

So, I started out with Carmen, my Cyndaquil, to collect the Pokemon egg from Mr Pokemon. That's it for the moment, will post more later. XD

Team
-;155;Carmen Lvl 5

Last edited:

EagleEye

Awesome to see some others some others doing the challenge at the same time as me.

@vicz1998 which game you playing? HG or SS? Hope it's as fun for you as it has been for me so far.

Frozen Ghost

Awesome to see some others some others doing the challenge at the same time as me.

@vicz1998 which game you playing? HG or SS? Hope it's as fun for you as it has been for me so far.

Oh I'm playing HG, and thanks!

So, I collected the egg, battled Silver, and then went out to head to Violet City. Along the way, on route 29, I killed a Rattata accidently with a critical. Oh well.
Next I went on to Cherrygrove City, healed at the Pokemon centre, then went to route 30 and caught a Spinarak (Sticky) and I battled the trainers there. Next is route 31, where in the Dark Cave I caught a Geodude (Rockina). Back on route 31, I caught a Pidgey. I then battled the bug catcher there, and beat him. I then went on to Violet City, I went to Bellsprout Tower, where I caught a Rattata. I then went on to the gym leader, and defeated him almost instantly.
I also did a bit of levelling up before hand, so... Ooh! I also received the egg from the Pokemart!

Team
-;155;Carmen Lvl 11
-;167;Sticky lvl 10
-;074;Rockina lvl 11
-;016; PIDGEY (NN pending) lvl 10
-;egg;"Egg"

Boxed
-;019;Rattata lvl 5
Dead
None yet...

Last edited:

Ninja Dog

Banned
So Just a small update this time, After training my team I battled Roark and Otis and Rose defeated every pokemon in one shot, Also while training in the grass Sweet evolved into a monferno and Henry evolved into a Staravia!

Current Team

;391; Sweet Lv14
;406; Rose Lv15
;397; Henry Lv14
;066; Otis LV14

Boxed

;399; Oh noes Lv2

R.I.P

;403; Electro Lv3

Last edited:

EagleEye

Update:

I went to the bug catching contest and entered, first pokemon i see is a catterpie, I aleady got one so on to the next which is a kaukuna, I capture him and name him Buzz, he is then boxed.
After the contest I go to Ecruteak city and talk to people. I then enter the Burned tower hoping to catch a magmar in place of Blaze my growlithe. It turned out Silver was there, We had a battle and I beat him. but Blaze got beat by his magnimite and is now gone.
After the battle I found a koffing and caught him and named him smog. so I'm now out of fire types. I hope I can get a ponyta later. I battled some other trainers and saw the three legendaries run away.
I then went to Mt. Morter and found a Machop I caught and named Champ and boxed him.
I went on route 38 and found a farfetch'd and caught her and named her Onion.
I next went to route 39 hoping for a magnimite, I found one, but Cutter ended up critical hitting him with his second attack. So now have no fire or electric type on my team.
I trained my koffong a little bit and gave him the tm fire blast.
I'm about to take on Morty for gym badge 4.

Current Team

;159; Lv 25 Tide
;042; Lv 25 Cutter
;074; Lv 20 Rocky
;109; Lv 18 Smog
;083; Lv 16 Onion
;133; Lv 9 Merlin

Boxed

;019; Rascal ;010; Summer ;096; Sleepy ;175; Egg
;163; Hoot ;046; Spore ;066; Champ ;014; Buzz

Killed in Action R.I.P

;017; Ace ;058; Blaze

Last edited:

Ninja Dog

Banned
Ok just a small update this time, I made my way to floroama town and defeated team galactic at the Valley windworks, This however was not without loss with Otis The machop passing away due a critical hit from a Puruglys Scratch, In brighter news I caught Slime the Shellos, I am on the route just before the forest.

Current Team

;391; Sweet Lv16
;406; Rose Lv16
;397; Henry Lv15
;422; Slime Lv11

Boxed

;399; Oh noes Lv2

R.I.P

;403; Electro Lv3
;066; Otis Lv5-Lv15

EagleEye

Update:
Battled Morty four my fourth gym badge, but ended up with a casualty. Tide got beat by Gengar. mean look, shadow ball and his sitrus berry was what got Tide beat.
I then did some training and went to the next city.
I got a good rod and went fishing on route 40. I caught a krabby that I then traded for a voltorb named Billy in Olivine city.
I noticed I didn't have any pokemon that could use surf left, so I went back to Ecruteak city and fished in the pond, I caught a poliwag and named him Bubble.
I then made my way to Cianwood city and fished on route 41. I caught a chinchou and named her Shockwave.
My golbat, geodude and voltorb also evolved along the way.
I next beat the Cianwood gym easily with Cutter and Billy. I got the HM fly.
I'm currently delivering the medician to Jasmane.

Current Team

;101; Lv 32 Billy
;042; Lv 31 Cutter
;075; Lv 25 Rocky
;109; Lv 27 Smog
;170; Lv 20 Shockwave
;133; Lv 12 Merlin

Boxed

;019; Rascal ;010; Summer ;096; Sleepy ;175; Egg
;163; Hoot ;046; Spore ;066; Champ ;014; Buzz
;060; Bubble ;083; Onion

Killed in Action R.I.P

;017; Ace ;058; Blaze ;159; Tide

Last edited:

Ninja Dog

Banned
So I began my journey into eterna forest I found a wild buneary but cheryl's chansey KOed it with egg bomb so I was unable to catch it. In eterna city I challenged the gym straight away, WIth Henry and Sweet managing to defeat every pokemon except for roserade in 1 shot. I cuaght a builzel and a geodude un eterna city and route 211

Current Team

;391; Sweet Lv20
;406; Rose Lv18
;397; Henry Lv19
;422; Slime Lv16

Boxed

;399; Oh noes Lv2
;74; Evil Rock Lv13
;418; Otter Lv10

R.I.P

;403; Electro Lv3
;066; Otis Lv5-Lv15

Last edited:

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Started up a SS Nuzlocke the other day during boredom with my FR Nuzlocke

Rules:

1.Box Dead Pokemon, never used again
2. First pokemon per Area
3. Nicknames
4. can catch shinys even if they arent first in route

Started With a Cyndaquil named Torka and Began the Beginning nonsense. Skip ahead to getting Pokeballs, and the First Pokemon i find is Frodo the Sentret. Trained Torka upto lvl 10 for ember then headed to route 46 in hopes of a Geodude. Caught a lvl 2 Spearow named Lipton instead. Healed up and headed up route 30 and knocked out the Pidgey i could have captured. Stopped in Dark Cave and Grabbed BatGirl the Zubat. Once in Violet, i headed straight for the Sprout tower. Since it was night time the pokemon i caught was a Gastly named Diablo. Almost lost Diablo to the Elder though, Because his Hypnosis missed 4 turns in a row.

Team:

;155; Torka lvl 10
;021; Lipton lvl 10
;161; Frodo lvl 8
;092; Diablo lvl 8

Box:

;041; BatGirl lvl 3

kingofeds

Swampert Master
Game: SoulSilver

Rules:
- Catch First Pokemon in each area only once I have the ability to catch Pokemon
- "Dead" Pokemon will be put in a box
- All Pokemon are nicknamed
- No Repels
- Can catch Shiny pokemon, even if not the first one in the area
- Can catch Legendaries freely, but not allowed to use them

Team:
;155; - L5 Cyndaquil (Inferno) [Lab]

Last edited:

bones090

< brav man i is sick
Restarting this - Game: Diamond

Rules:

1. Release dead pokemon
2. Only catch First pokemon
3. Nicknames
4. No repels
5. No legendaries

Starter: ;390; (Beast)

Verity Lakefront- First appearance was Starly (as usual) and couldn't catch it - what a waste of time. :/

Route 201- No pokeballs but i encountered a Bidoof as my first, couldn't catch it again.

Route 202- After Dawn gave me the pokeballs, I encountered a Bidoof, caught it and called it Heinz (after the brand).

Jubilife City- Beat the kids in the school with the abras. Went to route 204

Route 204- Caught myself a Kricketot which I ingeniously named Bug.

-:Current Team:-
;390; Beast Lv10
;399; Heinz Lv8
;401; Bug Lv8

I shall begin my challenge now.

Game: Heartgold.

Rules: If it faints, it's dead. I can only catch the first pokemon I encounter. I can only have 6 pokemon at a time. I will make exceptions for shinies. Cyndaquil must not evolve.

So far, I've obtained my starter, and started on the errand.

Team: ;155; Arashi, lv 9.

Wish me luck!

Grassmen

Novice Breeder
Started a new nuzlocke on HG and have just beat Whitney to earn my third badge. I'm playing by the following additional rules:
1. Play using set mode. Adds an extra bit of difficulty to the tougher matches, particularly gym battles where I need to strategise.
2. Train all pokemon caught. This is just so that I have much more versatility, and a lot of pokemon I can transfer over to the 5th gen when I'm done.
3. Cannot use my starter, or the Togepi from the Mystery Egg.
4. Pokemon can only star in one gym battle, and at the time, cannot exceed the level of that gym's highest levelled pokemon. Number of pokemon that can be used must equal that of the gym leader.

I haven't had any losses yet, and it's all been pretty plain sailing. I've also managed to capture a pretty wide range of pokemon (I've actually been incredibly lucky in some ways).

Violet City Gym: Columbus, Wattam:
Fairly standard match. Columbus took out Falkner's Pidgey, and Wattam easily handled the Pidgeotto.
Azalea Town Gym: Inerva, Daphne, Clarissa:
Probably the hardest match so far, but that's hardly saying much. Inerva took a critical hit quick attack, but then was able to whittle Scyther down once she was asleep, and then was finished off with Daphne's Rock Tomb. Clarissa took down both Metapod and Kakuna to end the match.
Goldenrod City Gym: Herald, Victoria:
Herald OHKOd Clefairy, then got a crit on Miltank and got a second OHKO, so Victoria didn't even get to participate. Seeing as the match lasted two turns, and neither opponent even got a chance to attack, this was painfully easy.

Last edited:

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Starting from last time i went straight to route 32 in hopes of a mareep to face Falkner with. Ended up with a Bellsprout named Nokia instead, which was all well and good since i could now trade for Rocky the onix. Once rocky Learned Rock Throw he almost swept through the Whole Gym. Only problem i had was Pidgeotto constantly using roost, but Torka managed to finally take it down with a Burn. Caught a rattata named Carlos and an ekans named Kobra on the way to Azalea town. Went to Ilex forest in hopes of an oddish, since my team is greatly weak to Rock at the moment, but got a Paras instead. Got a Slowpoke in the Well and named it Speedy. Saved in the pokemon center after the fight with proton and Misty the togepi hatching from its egg.

I Dont think Bugsy or whitney will be much problem for Torka and Rocky but, i guess we will see.

Team:

;155; Torka lvl 13
;021; Lipton lvl 13
;161; Frodo lvl 13
;092; Diablo lvl 14
;095; Rocky lvl 13
;079; Speedy lvl 8

Box:

;041; BatGirl lvl 3
;019; Carlos lvl 8
;023; Kobra lvl 7
;046; Aries lvl 6
;175; Misty lvl 5

Last edited:
I decided to dust off the ol' Diamond Version game card for my first ever Nuzlocke challenge. Sticking to the basics, no duplicates, nickname everything, no breeding.

I started with Turtwig (Titan), then quickly added Starly (Raven) and Bidoof (Lotta) to my team. However, I almost ended my game before obtaining even one badge. In the Pokemon Trainers School, Lotta fell to the 2nd trainer's Abra, and I foolishly headed east to try and catch more pokemon BEFORE I healed my remaining 2 partymates. So my rival comes tearing out of nowhere and starts to battle me, quickly disposing of Raven, leaving a slightly damaged Titan at level 11 to fend for itself. A couple of Growls from the rival Starly leave Tackle useless, and Absorb sure isn't doing jack squat against a Starly/Chimchar combo. So I steadily plugged away, using all of my remaining Potions to keep Titan alive and eventually I won the battle. At this point I was desperate for new Pokemon. After healing Titan and saying goodbye to his fallen comrades, the first catchable Pokemon I encountered was a lv. 6 Shinx. Not wanting to risk a critical hit, I threw several Pokeballs, but to no avail. Finally, a Heal Ball I had bought on a whim managed to secure its capture.

See below Pokecharms card for current team/badges.
In order as seen on card:
Zoobs (Rt. 207)
Pie (Oreburgh Gate)
Ramses (Rt. 203)
Titan (Rowan)
Busta (Oreburgh Mine, knows Rock Smash).

Last edited:

Nakashima

Little update on my Nuzlocke..
I've lost 2 pokemon now, but I'm at the 4th gym so it's not all too bad.
Instead of writing my updates on here I actually make videos about them. I record every second of gameplay and do live narration on all of it.
You can check out the playlist for my SoulSilver Nuzlocke in the link below ^^

Link to my Nuzlocke run on Youtube.

Toyo

Wandering Caretaker
Winds of a new begining

Well this is my first nuzlocke challenge. SS if anybody was wondering.Here the rules.
1)If it's dead, it's boxed. FOREVER.
2) I can't catch the pokemon unless it's the first on a route, or it's shiny. also, I must be able to buy pokeballs, so after the little Mr.Pokemon quest.
Mine will be written in a journel-type style from my character, and I'll be trying to be funny. Also he keeps track of his pokemon at the end of his entry. It is somewhat like a fan fic though. tell me if there happens to be a better place for this.

Day One
My name is Dion, and I live in New Bark Town. I woke up one day when some old man is in my room and starts telling me things that I already know. Then he asks me if im a boy or a girl. I'm tempted to punch him in the face, but I just reply that i'm obviously a boy. Then he asks me what my name is. Creep. So I just tell him my name. Then he just disappears. Freak. Well after that scarring event, I went down stairs. My mom told me Elm needs me, so I walk over there like a boss. He talked about his reasearch about things, then got some random email. He let me have a pokemon, which I chose a chikorita, nicknamed Cell. I thanked him and left. I headed out and went to Cherrygrove City.

Pokemon

;152; Cell, Lvl 5.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Quick Question for HG/SS nuzlockes. Does the Nuzlocke end when you beat the E4 or when you defeat red?

just seems unclear to me since most games end at the E4, but in these 2 you have 8 more badges to go.