1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

4th Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by bobandbill, Jul 17, 2015.

1. SubtleVVeirdoh

SubtleVVeirdoh Unova Enthusiast

Made it to Blackthorn City on SS. Haven’t challenged the gym, though, I’m assuming my Pokémon are not up to par with Claire’s. Tangela is still fresh on the team and though I may not need it to beat the Gym, I’d like a Tangrowth before I enter.

So, currently I’m exploring Dark Cave and the outlying routes, hopefully I’ll have the willpower to grind my team and get my last and latest memeber to evolve.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  2. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

Today, I finally got to battle Arcade Star Dahlia for the Golden Print in HeartGold. She started by sending out Blaziken, who outsped and took out Gyarados with Thunder Punch. I sent out Latias, who easily defeated it with Psychic. Dahlia then switched in Zapdos, and Latias was faster and hit it hard with Draco Meteor. Zapdos was still able to fight and used Signal Beam, but Latias finished it off with Psychic. Dahlia's last Pokemon was Togekiss, who easily took a Thunderbolt and knocked out Latias with Air Slash. I sent out Jolteon, who took out Togekiss with Discharge. I got the Golden Print and 20 Battle Points, and then I saved the game.

3. SubtleVVeirdoh

SubtleVVeirdoh Unova Enthusiast

Clair was a chump. Combo of Mamoswine and Pikachu took her down. Caught a Jolly Lugia and a Quiet Seadra. Scaled Mt. Mortar, found the Karate King whom I beat. After his defeat, and quite a few resets o acquired an Adamant Tyrogue, didn’t get the Nature I was hoping for. As the Hitmontop I’m planning to evolve it into will have Technician and not Intimidate. Decided to save after that.

On Platinum I took down Team Galactic for the last time, ascending Mt. Coronet; caught Giratina who’s stats and Nature I haven’t checked yet. Afterwards I visited a concerned Rowan in Sandgem; made it to the route just outside Sunnyshore. Decided to catch a couple of Electabuzz, before passing out. Planning on switching Pikachu with an Electivire. Saved the game when I woke up; went to work.

Edit:
    Team (SS): Feraligatr, Electivire, Mamoswine, Tangrowth, Gallade, Honchkrow

Team (Pt): Infernape, Mismagius, Nidoqueen, Kingdra, Togekiss, Scizor

Beat the League in SS; only needed to use 1/2 Pokémon per member, until I faced Lance. Was 0-2 victory for me. This team was definitely, more, balanced than others. The grinding in Victory paid off too. Currently beat Surge and Sabrina in Kanto. Going to the Power Plant when I play next.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  4. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

I have returned to my Heart Gold playthrough. Erika's Bellossom was complete agony to deal with because of Chlorophyll, Sunny Day, Solar Beam and Giga Drain. Brock was so ridiculously easy I felt bad for him. Misty and Lt Surge were decent challenge. I'm going to go after Janine next. All my Pokemon have reached Level 50.

When I don't have much to do, I might consider searching for a white Eevee in the Celadon Game Corner. Because I must get one of each shiny Eeveultion if I can SR for it

5. JohnLynch

JohnLynch Well-Known Member

I've resumed my HeartGold playthrough. I'll be concentrating on this game to the exclusion of all others (except occassional forrays into Hoenn under Sapphire) until I finish it and catch the legendaries. Sapphire has left me at post game with no idea what legendaries even exist (other than latios) and I don't want to have the same problem in HeartGold.

When I resumed my HeartGold game my initial lineup was: Totodile, Flaffy, Butterfree, Bellsprout, Furret, Wooper (with two gym badges). I had to remove Wooper from the lineup as I'm using him in Platinum and I don't want my lineup always looking the same from gen to gen, so I limit which pokemon I can use. After a thorough analysis of the available pokemon (which precluded spinarak and parasect) and the possible combinations I can be put up against, I have made the lineup: Totodile, Flaffy, Butterfree, Bellsprout, Furret, Drowzee.

Bellsprout is not going to make the final cut in my lineup. The only pokemon it can attack that my other pokemon can't attack is a rock/grass pokemon (which I'm highly unlikely to face). Furret is also completely superfluous although I do enjoy trying to get a normal pokemon into the Elite 4 (I came closest with Raticate in FireRed). I'll get rid of Bellsprout before I get rid of Furret. And if I manage to teach Furret some interesting moves via TM then I could end up justifying keeping it permanently.

Speaking of teaching pokemon moves, in my Sapphire run I was severely hampered by not having any ice pokemon. With how ice pokemon are so often restricted to late/post game, I decided to take the initiative and teach Totodile an ice move. It's only got 5 PP. I'll be looking to get a more powerful ice move at a later date.

I'm just about to get my radio and then (hopefully) face the third gym leader. Knowing my luck I don't have a super-effective pokemon against it, but I haven't been able to get any better additions to my lineup yet.

SubtleVVeirdoh likes this.
  6. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Cursed by the Darkness Staff Member

Been working on soft resetting for a shiny Turtwig in my copy of Platinum. It's being very stubborn, but I'm not giving up. Hoping to do more of it tonight.

Ignition and SubtleVVeirdoh like this.
  7. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

Yesterday, I learned that a Beldum swarm had appeared on Route 228. I decided to try catching a shiny one and put a Magnet Pull Magnezone in the first slot of my party. I took down 40 Beldum, and then I saw a grassy patch glowing white. I walked into it, and a shiny one appeared! I sent out my Haunter, who weakened the critter, and then I started throwing Ultra Balls and Timer Balls. Sadly, the Beldum kept breaking out and eventually knocked itself out with Struggle:mad:. Then, a Rhydon ended up breaking my chain. Hopefully, I'll reclaim the critter one day.

8. PikaSnap

PikaSnap Joan Ranger

I am working on trying to get that illusive 5th star on my trainer card on my SoulSilver version. I am having difficulty getting past a streak of 35 or so in the Battle Tower, and a streak of 100 is required to earn a star. Does anyone on here have any good tips on building a good team? The AI is insane here. I have had the most luck with an EV trained team of Infernape (Focus Sash), Starmie (Expert Belt), and Togekiss (Kings Rock), but the AI always seems to knock me out pretty soon after beating Palmer. Any suggestions on how to master the Gen IV Battle Tower??

9. Shiny Venusaur

Shiny Venusaur The Prodigal Son

The last post on page 42 (by me) details out the 100 streak. But as a general suggestion, you need to do two things. The first is you need to make the AI predictable and the second is you need to design a way to take as much abuse as possible. If you can do both of those, you wont be guaranteed to win, but it will give you the best odds at pulling off so many games in a row.

Also, there exist a hub that will give you a breakdown of all possible pokemon and move sets for each person. That can help you determine how you want to potentially play around with some threats you may experience. I would not rely on it too heavily though as it is easy to stop thinking your moves out.

edit:

Forum post: 4th Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Battle tower team website: http://www.psypokes.com/dp/battletower_teams.php