• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Recent Happenings Thread

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Still working on soft resetting for a shiny Turtwig. It's being very stubborn. Not giving up though. Just hoping that it shows up sooner rather than later as I really want to start out on my adventure.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Since I've received a copy of SoulSilver Version I'd like to repeat the things I did in Platinum Version. So that means following a set of rules which are:
  1. All the Pokemon on my main team will be given a nickname that's themed after mythological characters and deities.
  2. Whenever I challenge a gym I'll only use the same number of Pokemon the gym leader has.
  3. Since this is a longer game I'd like to complete it at a slower rate. So in theory I can play it over several weeks instead of rushing through it.
Upon starting a new game I chose Cyndaquil as my starter and named him Vulcan. Afterwards Professor Elm instructed me to go visit a friend of his on Route 30. With Vulkan at my side we ventured through Route 29 and Cherrygrove City to reach Mr. Pokemon's house. After receiving the Pokedex and mystery egg I headed back to Cherrygrove City where I met a stranger who challenged me to a battle. I returned to Professor Elm's Lab to investigate the robbery that occurred. After talking to the police I officially began my journey!

I transferred a Pichu egg from Platinum Version since I wanted to use something other than a Mareep for my electric type. After some time it hatched and I nicknamed the newborn Thor.

First thing I did in Violet City was visit Sprout Tower and do some training. Both Vulcan and Thor leveled up significantly thanks to the monks only using Bellsprout. After talking to the head monk he gave me a TM.

Second I challenged Falkner in the Violet City gym. Thor defeated his Pidgey with a few thunder shocks and then Vulcan beat his Pidgeotto with a combination of leer and ember. The match came down to one last turn, Pidgeottos health was yellow and Vulcans in the red. One last move could finish either of us, Pidgeotto used Tackle and missed, Vulcan used ember one last time and got its health down to red but then a burn status activated and successfully defeated the bird. With that I cheered and happily accepted the badge.

Current Team:
155.png
Vulcan (Cyndaquil)(M)
172.png
Thor (Pichu)(M)

Last edited:

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Today in Soul Silver Version I headed south down Route 32 and talked to a fisherman in the Pokemon Center outside Union Cave. He gave me an Old Rod which I used in the various ponds to find a Poliwag, who I captured and named Neptune.

Next I explored Union Cave to give Neptune some training. Along the way I caught an Onix who I named Terra. Upon entering Azalea Town I saw a Team Rocket grunt guarding the Slowpoke Well who told me to move along. Knowing I couldn't do anything proceeded into town and talked to Kurt. He ran off and fell down the well so I had to fight off the grunts. Battling Proton was easy since most of my Pokemon were over leveled due to looking for an Onix.

I challenged the gym with Vulcan, Thor, and Terra. I started with Terra and Bugsy sent out Scyther who got the first hit but didn't do much damage. I countered with a few Rock Throws and easily defeated the mantis. I used both Vulcan and Thor to defeat his Metapod and Kakuna. At this point I've decided to hold off on evolving Vulcan because the moment doesn't feel right.

I headed towards Ilex Forest next and was stopped by my rival who proceeded to battle me. It was a tough battle since I didn't have too many heavy hitting moves that could defeat his Croconaw. But through perseverance I achieved victory and proceeded to enter the forest. Someone asked me to find two Farfetch'd that ran off so I chased them down. Next I had Vulcan learn Headbutt from the move tutor in the forest.

Next I reached Goldenrod City, acquired the bike, and headed north to Route 35 to do some training. Most of the trainers weren't to difficult so I went to the grass to battle wild Pokemon. I then encountered a Nidoran and decided to capture it and nickname her Athena. Figure she can come in handy for the upcoming gym battle with Whitney.

Current Team:
155.png
Vulcan (Cyndaquil)(M)(Charcoal)
172.png
Thor (Pichu)(M)(Soothe Bell)
060.png
Neptune (Poliwag)(F)
095.png
Terra (Onix)(M)
029.png
Athena (Nidoran)(F)

Last edited:

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Made it to Jubilife City earlier this morning. Caught a Shinx along the way. Can’t ever remember beating the league with one or Luxray for that matter so I added it to the team. Saved and went to work after that.

Team:
Pullup Pen/Piplup
Shinx

Last edited:

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Today in Soul Silver Version I only played for a little bit to explore Goldenrod City. I did some shopping at the department store, gave Thor a haircut to raise it's affection, and visited the radio tower to acquire the radio card for my Poke Gear.

The next day I headed back to Route 35 to focus on training certain members of my team. With enough hardwork Thor evolved into Pikachu, Vulcan into Quilava, and Athena into Nidorina.

Before challenging the gym I've decided to invoke the Whitney Clause, which means I can use a full team of six to battle Whitney since her Miltank is notoriously difficult. I started the match by having Athena use Double Kick on her Clefairy who was defeated in two turns.

Next came the demon cow of Goldenrod City, Miltank... I switched Thor in to paralyze it with Thunder Wave so it'll use its berry. Miltank used Rollout which knocked Thor out in one hit. I then switched Athena back who avoided the next rollout attack. Athena used Poison Sting and luckily poisoned the beast. Figure every little bit of health I can chip away will help. Next turn Athena got hit by a stomp and flinched. Same thing happened next turn but sadly she got knocked out. I sent out Terra next who while falling for her attract was able to land a Rock Tomb, which lowered the cows speed. I was able to do it again the next turn while taking very little damage from stomp. By now Miltanks health was in the yellow due to poison, but of course next turn she used Milk Drink to recover the majority of her health. This routine of me dealing damage to it and it healing itself went on for a while. Eventually Terra, Neptune, and Vulcan fell to its rollout or infatuation. Finally tired of this dance I sent out Polaris (Level 55) whom I borrowed from my Platinum playthrough and it beat the demon cow in one hit with a Bubblebeam.

Having rightfully claimed victory I acquired the badge from her and proceeded to go next door to get the squirt bottle.

After capturing Sudowoodo I decided to head back to New Bark Town to tell my mom to stop buying me berries and other useless items with my money! She keeps calling after every battle to say she's bought something.

I headed back west through Violet City and decided to stop at Route 36 before calling it a night.

Current Team:
156.png
Vulcan (Quilava)(M)(Charcoal)
025.png
Thor (Pikachu)(M)(Soothe Bell)
060.png
Neptune (Poliwag)(F)
095.png
Terra (Onix)(M)(Quick Claw)
030.png
Athena (Nidorina)(F)

Last edited:

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Today in Soul Silver Version I reached Ecruteak City and talked to Bill in the Pokemon Center. I went over to the PC to review my current team and realized I dont have enough powerful moves and type coverage. So I decided nows the best time to add some new members to my team.

First I caught a Spearow by headbutting several trees. I named her Hera and after some training she evolved into a Fearow.

Secondly I had to return Polaris over to Platinum I decided to transfer over another egg I prepared. After some time a Sneasel hatched from the egg and I decided to name him Loki.

Thirdly while back in Goldenrod City I stopped by Bill's house to receive an Eevee. After soft resetting a few times I finally got a female Eevee and decided to name her Freya. I immediately gave her the Soothe Bell since I want to evolve her into an Espeon.

I spent the rest of the day raising Loki and Freya to be around the same level as the others. I plan on challenging the Ecruteak City gym soon!

Current Team:
156.png
025.png
Thor (Pikachu)(M)
060.png
Neptune (Poliwag)(F)
095.png
030.png
Athena (Nidorina)(F)
022.png
Hera (Fearow)(F)
215.png
Loki (Sneasel)(M)
133.png
Freya (Eevee)(F)(Soothe Bell)

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Not much to post. I’ve beaten the 1st gym on both Platinum and HG. On HG I progressed a little further. Received a mystery egg from Elm’s assistant. Battled everyone but the fishermen, on my way to Union Cave.

Teams:
Pullup Pen/Prinplup
Shinx

Quilava
Bellsprout

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Today in Soul Silver Version I visited the Ecruteak City gym but was told the leader is currently away and I could find him at the Burned Tower. I was promptly kicked out of the gym and proceeded towards the tower. There I met Morty and Eusine who has a weird fascination with Suicune. Disregarding him I then battled my rival who was fairly easy due to my team having the type advantage. His Croconaw was a bit tougher due to it using Ice Fang and easily defeated Thor. Before falling Thor was able to use a Thunder Wave and thundershock to slow it down. Luckily its health was down to yellow at this point and I sent in Freya to finish it off with a few tackles. After beating my rival I went downstairs to encounter the three beasts who ran off.

Next I challenged the Ecruteak City gym with Vulcan, Loki, Terra, and Hera. Loki was able to easily defeat every ghost type Pokemon he NPC's had. For the battle against Morty I started with Hera who defeated Gastly in one hit with an Aerial Ace. Terra was able to beat the first Haunter with a combination of Rock Tomb and Sandstorm. Next he sent out Gengar who beat Terra with a single Shadow Ball. Hera fell shortly afterwards and it was now I decided to send out Loki to finish it with a Faint Attack. Morty then sent out his second Haunter who cut its health in half with Curse, Vulcan was able to beat it with a single Flame Wheel.

After claiming my fourth badge I headed towards Olivine City and encountered my rival by the gym. He told me the gym leader was away taking care of an Ampharos in the lighthouse. While climbing the lighthouse Neptune gained enough experience to evolve into a Poliwhirl.

After claiming my fourth badge I traveled west towards Olivine City. I encountered my rival outside the gym and he said the gym leader was away taking care of an Ampharos in the lighthouse. After he ran off I started climbing the lighthouse and beat enough trainers for Neptune to evolve into a Poliwhirl. Additionally Freya is starting to gain a few more levels so hopefully her happiness will be high enough to evolve soon. After talking to Jasmine she told me to visit the pharmacy in Cinnawood City

After surfing down Route 40 and 41 I reached Cinnawood City. I visited the pharmacy to get the medicine and decided to retire for the night.

Current Team:
156.png
025.png
Thor (Pikachu)(M)(Magnet)
061.png
Neptune (Poliwhirl)(F)
095.png
030.png
Athena (Nidorina)(F)
022.png
Hera (Fearow)(F)
215.png
Loki (Sneasel)(M)
133.png
Freya (Eevee)(F)(Soothe Bell)

Last edited:

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Played last night. Beat the remaining fishermen I had previously spared. Afterward I healed my Pokémon at the PC outside of Union Cave. There, I acquired the Old Rod and some Lure Balls went back to Violet City to catch a Poliwag. One popped up on my first encounter. Bellsprout’s Sleep Powder and a Lure Ball did the trick.

Afterwards I dashed through Union Cave, sparing no one. At one point I caught an Onix and Sandshrew. Onix was viable but I’m only using it in the event I can’t get Cubone or Yanma.

Arrived in Azalea Town to see Team Rocket up to no good. After some scenes I beat them with ease and challenged the gym. Quilava made quick work of everyone. Had some trouble with my rival though. Some reason Bite kept getting critical, so his Croconaw was putting in work, to say the least. But we did it.

Saved after making it halfway through Ilex.

Team:
Quilava
Bellsprout
Poliwag

Last edited:

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Today in Soul Silver Version I did some more training in the ocean. Most of my team is around level 25 now and Freya finally evolved into an Espeon.

During this training I wasn't satisfied how Hera was turning out so I decided to remove her from the team. I know she could come in handy for the Cinnawood City gym but I feel that slot could be better utilized by a different member. As a replacement I caught a Heracross who I named Hercules.

I decided it was time to challenge the Cinnawood City gym with Freya and Hercules. Chuck was pretty easy to beat since Freya beat Primape with Confusion and Hercules beat Poliwrath with Aerial Ace. Afterwards I flew back to Olivine City to give the medicine to Jasmine. Amphy was miraculously cured and illuminated the lighthouse. Feeling grateful Jasmine promised to return to the gym and await my challenge.

Despite being underleveled I wanted to at least try challenging the Olivine City gym with Vulcan, Neptune, and Hercules. Vulcan easily beat the first Magnemite with Flame Wheel and she sent out Steelix next. I sent out Neptune in response since she had the best type advantage. Neptune was able to attack first with a Surf and Steelix responded with a Screech. I attacked with another Surf, it used Iron Tail in response and missed. Steelix's health was right on the edge of going red so I was able to hit it with one more attack and knock it out. Hercules was able to beat the second Magnemite with a Brick Break. With that I received my second badge for the day.

Afterwards I went to the Pokemon Center and traded with Platinum to evolve Terra into a Steelix. I figure Jasmine gave me a Metal Coat after saving Amphy so I wanted to use it on Terra. After he returned to SS I decided to retire for the night.

Current Team:
156.png
025.png
061.png
Neptune (Poliwhirl)(F)
208.png
Terra (Steelix)(M)(Quick Claw)
030.png
Athena (Nidorina)(F)
215.png
Loki (Sneasel)(M)
196.png
Freya (Espeon)(F)
214.png
Hercules (Heracross)(M)

Last edited:

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
So I’ve hit a roadblock. Gardenia was already expected to be SOME trouble. But her having a type advantage over my mains wasn’t enough. Grass Knot, Magical Leaf, and Razor Leaf are all hitting me for Crit. Damage. In Razor Leaf’s case it’s every time.

I’ve quit twice because it’s just ridiculous. But I’m thinking if it continues I’ll just level up and take the L’s till we’re strong enough to overcome the anti-RNGesus.

Primo’s Slugma was a dud, over in HG had a calm nature. Togepi was useless as well with an Impish. These games hate me and it shows.

Team:
Luxio
Pullup Pen/Prinplup
Buneary

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Back to Classics: Platinum.

Just beat Crasher Wake and on my way to Route 212. I'm enjoying Underground a lot, actually. I've never tried it before when it was the 'thing', the amount of Heart Scales and Shards make me revisit the place often.

6apz8YK.png
Margot ♀️ — Lv. 30.
1ojPfMQ.png
Emperor ♂ — Lv. 32.
YmBExWb.png
Paragon ♂ — Lv. 34.
EF3MneT.png
Raptor ♂ — Lv. 35.
MaDCfUD.png
Ken ♂ — Lv. 36.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
So I believe I chose the more arduous option in restarting Platinum. I tried a couple more times but I swear this is the single hardest battle ever. I can only pray I get as many critical hits in my life time, successively.

I transfered Pen and Shining over to HG, before doing so. Chose the FC, again, but named her PC DOOM. Also chose Turtwig. Impish first time, so I decided to keep it and move on. Thinking of a name as I head to Rowan’s.

Gardenia’s about to get hoed.

(pun intended).

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Beat Cynthia today. Quick Claw Empoleon with critical-hit Ice Beam OHKO'ing Garchomp has never been so satisfying. Still, the battle was hard as usual given I play in SET mode, add the Cynthia factor as bonus. I'll be spending some of my free quarantine time to grind Battle Frontier until Isle of Armor drops.

YmBExWb.png
Paragon ♂ — Lv. 50.
EF3MneT.png
Raptor ♂ — Lv. 51.
MaDCfUD.png
Ken ♂ — Lv. 51.
6apz8YK.png
Margot ♀️ — Lv. 51.
UzupnaD.png
Kaze ♀️ — Lv. 52.
2ck9oZJ.png
Emperor ♂ — Lv. 52.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Sadly I've been busy with other things and haven't had time to post regular updates on my playthrough of Soul Silver. So for now I won't go into to much detail regarding my recent adventures.

I successfully acquired the last two badges in Johto, defeated Team Rocket in Goldenrod City, participated in a few Pokelathons, caught Lugia, and reached the Indigo Plateau. Additionally I've spent a significant amount of time on Route 26 and Victory Road to train everyone.

I've decided to challenge the Elite Four with Vulcan, Terra, Athena, Loki, Freya, and Hercules.

First battle was against Will who's psychic types didnt stand a chance against Loki's speed and Night Slash. Vulcan defeated Exeggutor and Jynx with a single Flamethrower.

Second battle was against Koga who's Ariados, Forretress, and Venomoth was defeated by Vulcan. Muk had a lot of bulk but was defeated by Freya's Psybeam. Crobat was trickier since it kept using Double Team and Terra didn't have accurate moves. Slowly I was able to chip away at its health.

Third battle was against Bruno who didnt stand much of a chance against Freya and her non-physical attacks. Funny part is his Hitmontop kept trying to use Counter but the move kept failing. Sadly his Machamp was able to defeat Freya so Hercules had to finish it off with an Aerial Ace.

Fourth battle was with Karen who had a very diverse team. Hercules broke through confusion status to beat Umbreon with a Brick Break. Loki beat Murkrow and Gengar without any issues. Vulcan beat Vileplume with two Flamethrowers. Her Houndoom was able to defeat Hercules before he could use a move. So in response I sent out Athena who beat the dog with an Earth Power and Superpower.

The fifth and final battle was against the Lance, the Champion. Honestly this battle was frustrating because of how resilient his dragon types are. I had to restart the system several times to try different strategies. It was only through chipping away at their health with attacks, poisoning, and health restoration items that I was able to beat him. With that I claimed victory over the Pokemon League!

After the credits were finished I saved and called it a day. Soon I'll be heading towards Kanto!

Current Team:
157.png
Vulcan (Typhlosion)(M)(Charcoal)
025.png
186.png
Neptune (Politeod)(F)
208.png
Terra (Steelix)(M)(Quick Claw)
031.png
Athena (Nidoqueen)(F)
461.png
Loki (Weavile)(M)(Never Melt Ice)
196.png
Freya (Espeon)(F)(Amulet Coin)
214.png
Hercules (Heracross)(M)

Last edited:

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Finally got around to beating Gardenia. It wasn’t as satisfying as I’d hope, only because I waited so long to play the game.

Her Turtwig got some critical hits on ThundaFANG but ‘FANG bested Turtwig with a combo of Leer and Bite. Cherrim was no problem. tHe World took care of it, after a couple of Curses and Rock Smash. Roserade was another story. Bested my Grotle with Magical Leaf; it was up to ‘FANG, as my last Pokémon was Pullup Pen and he wasn’t going to stand a chance. Came down to the wire Hp in the red, went for Bite and what do ya know Quick Claw kicks in.

Beat Gardenia with only two Pokémon, first try and like 90% less shenanigans. Decided to get the Explorer Kit afterwards. Got a Skull Fossil, some shards and heart scale(s), my first visit. Saved and put my DS on the charger.

Team:

ThundaFANG/Luxio
tHe World/Grotle
Pullup Pen/Prinplup

Last edited:

I'm still on my quest to defeat the 6th Gym leader in Diamond! However I am currently exploring Iron Island and leveling up my Pokémon with the help of Riley.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Caught Rotom recently. Named it BASEDmotor, it’s a place holder till I get Froslass. May use it in HG after I make it to Kanto. Taking on Team Galactic atm.

Finally got through the Iron Island cave after defeating the two Team Galactic Grunts and acquiring an egg from Riley. Headed back to Canalave City where I took on the 6th gym battle against Byron and beat him easily!