• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Aquarelle

Staff member
Continued at the Battle Hall as I really wanted to reach 100 wins in my current streak. I chose to fight Normal and Fire type Pokemon and pretty much just Outrage spammed my way through all the battles. There was maybe one battle where I needed two turns to win (against a Dunsparce duo maybe?), with all the other battles ending in one turn.
So, I got up to 100 wins pretty easily. Going to continue next time to see how much further I can go. I think my best ever Doubles streak at the Battle Hall was somewhere in the 110-130 range with Lucario on Platinum, though I don't remember exactly...

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
A week or so in my more Pokemon mood, I picked up my old Platinum and restarted it. Currently have five badges and a team of Infernape, Crobat, Floatzel, Ambipom and Cherrim (always wanted to use Cherrim). As one can see it is a heavily physical team, so I'm wondering what's a good sixth Pokemon that I can pick up without needing to grind too much and can fit a special attacker role. Thinking of either an Ice or Electric type but am open to anything. Ideas would be appreciated. :eek:

Zephraxe

So I've been playing Soul Silver and from the point I started playing, I knew I wanted to capture the Latios you can find with a Heavy Ball. What I didn't know is how that would change the capture rate. So I finally get to Latios after going through the game, collecting as many Heavy Balls from Kurt as I could. I found a capture rate calculator online after weakening him some... only to find that using a Heavy Ball on Latios makes all damage done and status conditions inflicted pointless. Basically, it would have been no different if I had not done any damage on Latios and were using Pokéballs. I caught it in a few hours time, though, so it wasn't so bad. Currently, I'm capturing Zapdos. I've beaten all 16 gyms and will transfer the Pokémon I've trained, plus my legendaries, to Omega Ruby in preparations for their transfer to Sun when I get it.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Today was the Hoenn Sound on the Pokémon Music radio channel, so I took the opportunity to catch all the find-able Hoenn Pokémon around Johto and Kanto. I used a combination of the Hoenn music (Route 101) and my Umbreon's Headbutt to search out Hoenn Pokémon. I went to Viridian Forest to catch Seedot, Shroomish and Numel, the Burnt and Bell Towers to catch Zigzagoon and Spinda, Cherrygrove City to catch Taillow, Union Cave to catch Makuhita and Absol, and Route 35 to catch Whismur. I also caught a Magmar inside the Burnt Tower while I was searching for a Zigzagoon, collected Apricorns around Johto, re-battled Jasmine and her Steel team at the Saffron City Fighting Dojo, and re-battled Hiker Anthony on Route 33 and Fisherman Ralph on Route 32.

Baggie_Saiyan

Just scooped up a copy of Platinum sealed. Only ever played through Sinnoh once when Diamond came out and with so many good memories on that save never thought of over writing it. So here I am so a good deal and decided it'll tide me over until Sun and Moon esp after Europe getting it late.

Unsure whether to Nuzlocke or do a regular play through.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Increased my Battle Hall Doubles streak by another 10 wins today. Most of the Pokemon I fought ended up being Fire types, mostly because I just kept selecting that type when I was not paying attention and was just mashing buttons. The majority of the Fire Pokemon were easy Outrage OHKOs, though a Torkoal duo gave me a bit of trouble as they were bulky enough to survive a hit and then paralyzed one of my Garchomp with Body Slam, which was annoying. Aside from that, though, every trainer was pretty simple. I finished the round of 10 trainers by fighting a few Electrics and defeating them with Earthquake.

Baggie_Saiyan

Eurghh forgot how bad early game grinding can be. Shinx can't learn anything decent until it practically evolves and Starley has a pretty good early moveset still taking forever to grind up.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Continuing with the Battle Hall, I fought Pokemon from several different types today: Electric, Ground, Steel, Ghost, and Flying IIRC. Just trying to get my streak to last as long as possible at this point, so I'm picking types that seem easiest and/or are at the lowest ranks.

Anyway, getting through the next 10 battles was still pretty easy overall, though things are getting a bit tougher. The Garchomp I'm using aren't the same level, with one being 56 and the other 50, and some of the Pokemon I faced today were higher levelled than my lv. 50 Garchomp. Really should level up the weaker one, but I'm too lazy...
Also, I had one annoying battle against two Sandslash. They survived my Outrages and set up Sandstorm, causing both of my Garchomp to miss on the next turn due to Sand Veil evasion. Both of my Garchomp became confused after that turn, which could've been really bad for me, but fortunately one Garchomp was able to get off an Earthquake on the next turn and KO both Sandslash while they were trying to use Dig.

Once I defeated all 10 trainers, I checked how much BP I currently have - up to 435 now.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Today, I was searching for a Pikachu holding Light Ball in Viridian Forest in HeartGold. I put a Pikachu in the first slot to make Static attract Electric Pokemon. Suddenly, I encountered a shiny Pikachu and caught it in a Nest Ball. Eventually, Linoone managed to snatch a Light Ball from one using Covet. I then flew to Olivine and boarded the boat. After resting my team, I checked the PC and found out the new Pikachu had a Lonely nature. I then visited the Captain to collect a Nugget from him and got off the boat. Then, I saved the game.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Today at the Battle Hall, I fought Dragon, Electric, and Psychic Pokemon and cleared all three of those types at rank 10. The Dragon and Electric Pokemon were the easiest for me, with Kingdra being the rank 10 Dragon I faced (glad I didn't have to deal with an opposing pair of Garchomp) and the Electric types being weak enough defensively to take down with Outrage instead of having to use Earthquake.
Some of the Psychic Pokemon took a little longer to take down, but they weren't too bad overall. The fight that had the potential to be the toughest was against a pair of Wobbuffet, but fortunately they just kept spamming Mirror Coat against my physical-attacking Garchomp duo.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Today in SoulSilver, I re-battled Bugsy at the Fighting Dojo in Saffron City using my Ninetales (Neepawa) and Penticton (Pidgeot). After our battle, I went to the Power Plant on Route 10 (Kanto) to find and catch a male Electabuzz, whom I named Estevan.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Yesterday, I wanted to take a break from the Battle Hall, so I went over to the Battle Arcade. I checked my records there and saw that I'd never tried to Doubles option on HeartGold, so I figured it would be fun to try it. I started a streak with a team of Pinsir, Garchomp, and Typhlosion. Pinsir & Garchomp were my lead Pokemon and took care of the opponents' Pokemon no problem, so I never had to use Typhlosion. I did okay at stopping the roulette before each battle as none of the events I got were particularly bad for me, though I hit the "no event" square a little more often than I wanted to.

So, I now have a streak of 7 going at the Battle Arcade in Doubles. I might continue it next time instead of returning to the Battle Hall.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Today in SoulSilver, I re-battled Janine at the Saffron Fighting Dojo using my Ninetales (Neepawa), Starmie (La Malbaie) and Meganium (Ottawa). My Meganium had Earthquake to deal with Janine's Drapion, since Poison/Dark is not affected by its usual weakness of Psychic. After fighting Janine, I re-battled Bug Catcher Rob on Route 2 (Kanto) with my Pidgeot (Penticton), then battled a wild Ponyta at Mt. Silver. Fire Blast burned Penticton, so I healed her burn with a Rawst Berry.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Decided to do some more Double Battles at the Battle Arcade. This time, I had Politoed on my team in place of Typhlosion. I wsn't planning on that at first, but I selected Politoed by accident and didn't feel like changing. Anyway, Politoed was fun to use with Garchomp as its partner. Those two won the first six battles very easily. Politoed was KOed during the final battle by a Magneton's Thunderbolt, but I won on the next turn anyway so it didn't make much of a difference. I was really good at stopping the roulette this time and landed on every spot I wanted. So, it was a pretty simple day at the Arcade.

DracosWulfgar

what ever........
I've been playing Platinum and decided to restart it.
So far I got 5 badges, seen/caught 143 pokemon, and have just been Training my team to 47s for our battle with Bryon.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Today in SoulSilver, I re-battled Janine at the Saffron Fighting Dojo again, using my Starmie (La Malbaie), Pidgeot (Penticton), Ninetales (Neepawa) and Meganium (Ottawa) for her Drapion. After winning the fight, I went to Celadon to meet Falkner in the Department Store, where he was talking to Janine, and I registered his phone number in my Pokégear. Then I did a little bit of shopping, buying some spare TMs and a few Nest Balls to catch lower-levelled Pokémon, and trained Ottawa on a wild Ponyta at Mt. Silver, dealing super-effective damage with Earthquake. (I love Earthquake on Meganium, it deals with the tricky Fire, Poison and Electric types. :D)

Aquarelle

Staff member
Took a break from the Battle Frontier today and went to the National Park. It had changed to Tuesday on my game, so I was able to enter the Bug Catching Contest. I brought along my Typhlosion as my partner. The first Pokemon I caught was a Pinsir, which was a bit of a pain to catch. Right after that, I encountered a Beedrill and had an easier time catching it. I decided to keep the Beedrill as I liked it the best.

When the results were announced, I didn't place at all and got the Shed Shell consolation prize. The winner was someone who caught a Metapod. -_- I really thought I had a chance to win after seeing the Pokemon that placed second and third, but oh well.

DracosWulfgar

what ever........
In platinum I went a got my Staraptor( Falcon ) out and went chansey hunting on route 209 ( it hasn't falied me yet on producing chanseys) for lucky eggs ( 5% chance of wild holding ).Since Falcon knows thief, he can steal items for me (plus level up faster than Iron island training has done for him) Not to much going on, so far twelve oval stones out of twenty chanseys so still hopeful.

arceus03

I'm trying to complete my Villa in Platinum. So far, I have yet to buy the the Pokemon Busts, Masterpiece, Tea Set and Chandelier. So I'm hatching Magikarp eggs with a Magcargo in the team. Also, since I deposited the Meister's Magikarp in there with one of my own, they are making eggs like crazy XD After I get 30 of them I'll stop. Then maybe find a good natured one and train up to L50 for the Battle Frontier... maybe.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Left the National Park today and returned to Olivine City. The SS Aqua was running today, so I decided to sail on it to Kanto. While on the ship, I went to the captain's cabin and received a Splash Plate from him. I then checked my bag to see how many of the plates I had, and saw that I only had maybe one other one. I thought I had a lot more...really need to start working on collecting them all.

Once I arrived in Vermilion, I got on my bike and rode around to several places around the Kanto region. I picked Apricorns from the trees I came across and eventually saved in Viridian or something.