• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Recent Happenings Thread

Drummerdude

Upon arriving in Canalave City I defeated Barry and sailed to Iron Island. I trained my team quite a bit here evolving both Monferno and Hippopotas. I could not accept the Riolu egg, not like I really need it though. Next stop was the Canalave Gym which wasn't much of a challenge for Infernape, Bibarel, and Hippowdon. I attempted to thwart Team Galactic at two of the three lakes of Sinnoh but it was too no avail. While traversing the snowy routes my game kept freezing which is the reason I haven't posted in a bit. It ended up taking so long to get through that I got annoyed and stopped for week or more at a time. I eventually made it through and arrived in Snowpoint City where Infernape practically swept the entire gym by itself.

After watching Barry do just as poorly at stopping Team Galactic as I did I flew to Veilstone and got to explore their hideout where Murkrow finally evolved thus completing the team. I also defeated Cyrus and Saturn which allowed me to free the 3 Pokemon of the Lakes. A long trek through Mt Coronet awaited me next but at the top I was able to defeat Cyrus once more and capture the legendary Pokemon Dialga. Since I saved the day and all I figured now would be a good time to go get my 8th badge so I set out for Sunyshore City.

392.png
Lv43
400.png
Lv43
430.png
Lv43
437.png
Lv42
450.png
Lv43
455.png
Lv42

Aquarelle

Staff member
Spent some time on SoulSilver tonight since there are a few things I want to do on my current file before restarting it. One thing I want to do is catch a few SoulSilver version exclusives in Apricorn balls. So, I worked on building up my SS's Apricorn collection today by picking Apricorns all over Johto & Kanto. Once I was done, I gave some to Kurt, who gave me some Lure Balls from Apricorns I must've given him the last time I played.

Next, I managed to catch a few Pokemon using the few Apricorn balls I already had. While Headbutting trees, I found a Ledyba, and caught it in the only Fast Ball I had. On Route 45, I caught a Teddiursa in a Level Ball. Then, after quite a few more encounters on that route, I ran into a Skarmory. Trying to catch the Skarmory was really annoying, since even after weakening it and putting it to sleep, its low catch rate meant it broke out of a lot of balls. I tried several types of Apricorn balls on it - Heavy, Friend, Moon, Lure - but it always broke out. Eventually, I got a Love Ball to work.

There are still a few other Pokemon I want to catch on SS, but some of them will have to wait until I have more Apricorn balls. That Skarmory really depleted my already small supply.

Drummerdude

I honestly didn't explore much of Sunyshore City but headed right for the gym...only to remember Volkner isn't there. Well after finding him in a lighthouse I managed to defeat the gym trainers, solve the puzzle, and defeat Volkner in a rather simple fight. Now that Bibarel could use Waterfall I headed around the region climbing the few I could remember before surfing north and oh my goodness the Surf speed is so slow in these games. I did eventually arrive at Victory Road which honestly felt like a slog to get through. Sooner or later I made it to the Pokemon League and decided to try my hand at challenging them with a team at Lv48. The first 3 members were chores to battle and I struggled so much against Lucian that I didn't even bother using healing items so I could spend some more time training before trying again. Turns out training is a real chore in these games.

392.png
Lv49
400.png
Lv51
430.png
Lv48
437.png
Lv49
450.png
Lv49
455.png
Lv50

Aquarelle

Staff member
Did some more Apricorn collecting on SoulSilver today. I went to nearly every tree across both regions before returning to Azalea Town. I picked up some Heavy Balls from Kurt, and have him some Ylw Apricorns IIRC in return.

I didn't catch any SS exclusive Pokemon in Apricorn Balls today, since the two main ones I need, Mawile and Gulpin, are swarm Pokemon and I haven't gotten their swarms yet. I did try to look for a Delibird, though, since I don't believe I've caught one in an Apricorn Ball yet, but I didn't find one when going through Ice Path and I didn't feel like looking any longer. Maybe another time.

I did catch a couple of non-version exclusive Pokemon, though. In the Ilex Forest, I found a Weedle using Headbutt and caught it in a Level Ball. South of Pallet Town, I used a Friend Ball to catch a Tangela.

ThisIsPatrick

Started my journey once again in the Johto region and received Chikorita from Professor Elm. As I set off under the clear night sky I encountered a HootHoot whilst training and couldn't help but love the bird type. Two tackles and a pokeball later, HootHoot joins the squad. I found my way into Violet City and after a quick stop at the local Pokemon Center I then proceeded to the spiralling Bellsprout Tower. With the combined power of Chikorita and HootHoot Elder Li stood no chance. As I climbed down the tower the ghost type Ghastly decided it would make an appearance. The team is now three strong as I save before taking on Falkner and his bird types. ,

Drummerdude

After getting everyone to Level 51 I gave the Elite 4 another go and had a much simpler time. Honestly the actual Elite 4 was rather dull so I'll only focus on the champion. Honchkrow was up first against Cynthia's Spiritomb and ended up knocking it out after a few Night Slash's thanks a critical hit. She switched to Gastrodon which fell to Carnivine's Grass Knot. She surprisingly used Roserade next but was no match for Infernape's Flamethrower. So far so good. Her Garchomp came out so I used Bibarel in hopes of at least getting off one Super Fang....unfortunately Garchomp's Dragon Rush one shotted it. I decided to go to Bronzong in hopes of putting it to sleep with Hypnosis.

Here's the thing about Bronzong. My Bronzong does not have Levitate because I could not find a Bronzor with the ability. Garchomp never used Earthquake. It kept spamming Dragon Rush and Giga Impact any turn it was awake all the while I was spamming Psychic and Gyro Ball. Because both of us were healing (and D/P battles being so slow) the battle ended up lasting around 8 minutes. Unfortunately for her I had more healing items and Bronzor prevailed. Hippowdon came out against Lucario and won with Earthquake leaving Cynthia with just Milotic.

I left Hippowdon in to waste a turn healing Carnivine but here's the thing.......Milotic used Mirror Coat..........against a freaking Hippowdon. I was dumbfounded but decided to use Earthquake because why not. Every single turn she used Mirror Coat before eventually using Aqua Ring on it's last turn before fainting. What a weird ending to a play-through.

392.png
Lv53
400.png
Lv51
430.png
Lv51
437.png
Lv52
450.png
Lv52
455.png
Lv52

Aquarelle

Staff member
On SoulSilver today, I mostly just collected Apricorns again.

After that, I went back to HeartGold. I decided to pass the Pokerus onto the four Pokemon I've bred recently, so that I won't have to worry about it later. That didn't take too long fortunately, and I was able to give Pokerus to a few other Pokemon in my PC as well. While spreading it, I rematched a few trainers in Johto to earn some money. I'll probably buy some vitamins when EV training later.

ThisIsPatrick

Made it to the elite four on Soul Silver today, slightly underleveled and I'd like to say without a worry in the world but that would be lying. Will and Koga were close battles, Bruno is next and is causing quite the problem.

My team is
Meganium
Noctowel
Umbreon
Pupitar
Ursaring
Poliwhirl

Choice Scarf Noctowel is the lead spamming air slash, but machamps cross chop is destroying everything

Aquarelle

Staff member
I rematched a few more trainers in both Kanto and Johto on HeartGold today. Defeated them all using just my Typhlosion and Politoed. After one of the battles, I received a free Carbos, which will definitely come in handy for EV training later. My money is sitting at over 430,000 now.

While battling, I spread the Pokerus onto several other Pokemon from my PC. I now have the virus preserved on a dozen or so extra Pokemon.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Oh boy, lots to update! Been berry farming for the last month or so, had to bring my EV berries, pinch berries, type berries, and some poffin berries up in stock. I've also been going to all the daily events each day to get extra stuff (the berry lady in Pastoria is oh so helpful as is the Daily Lotto in Jubilife!). Finally got enough berries to make the poffins I need (RNG makes this difficult to get the right levels) but I was able to max out a contest stat. During this time I also bred for said contest pokemon - I decided to go with Lickilicky just for a good laugh. Now I have my 4th trainer star (Gold) and a Master Rank champion Lickilicky!

While waiting for berries, I also started devising teams to take on the 100 streak in Battle Tower. I finished my first team (breeding in the old day's takes so many eggs, we're so blessed now) and also got it EV trained. In the process of leveling them up before I start my painful climb.

This is all on my original Diamond file, btw. Sinnoh is my favorite region and while Platinum is objectively better in every way, my Diamond file is original and holds a lot of memories, figured it would be fun to try and get the Black 5 star trainer card.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
On Platinum, I managed to transfer a couple of Pokémon, which were the entire Regi trio, a Nuzleaf, a Spheal and a Chimecho, from a save file from a preowned Sapphire cartridge that I obtained today. After transferring the Pokémon, I flew to the Pal Park and I caught all of the Pokémon that I transferred in one go at the Pal Park, transferring them to the PC. Before that, I obtained a decoration but I can't remember what it was but anyway I got 3093 points from the Pal Park catching game. After getting them transferred, I saved at the Pal Park.

Aquarelle

Staff member
On SoulSilver, I received some Fast Balls from Kurt in Azalea. I was playing close to when the date changed over, so I was able to pick up some Love Balls eventually, too. I picked a bunch of Apricorns from trees as well.

I didn't get any interesting swarms tonight, but I did catch a couple of other Pokemon in Apricorn balls. While looking for a Mareep on Route 32, I found an Ekans. I'm pretty sure I hadn't caught one in an Apricorn ball before, so I ended up catching it, choosing a Heavy Ball as I don't use that one that often. After moving to Route 42, I found a Mareep, and caught it in a Fast Ball.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Current streak (also first streak) is at 35 before I had to stop. Went from battle 1-Palmer's first fight with Garchomp never leaving the field. I've had one bout of hax but was able to still secure the victory to keep moving forward. Haven't had a chance to play again as I want to make sure I'm not rushed or distracted.

I realized I didn't post my team in the original post. I'm running lead SD Sub Yache Garchomp, 4 attacks LO Starmie, and Toxic Blissey as a pivot/stall option.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Got a Mawile swarm on SoulSilver tonight. I went to Route 9 and got Mawile as my first encounter in the grass. After weakening it, I decided to catch it in a Fast Ball, which I eventually managed to do after it broke out of seven of them. Once that was done, I returned to Johto, heading to the Ruins of Alph to catch a Smeargle. Again, I found one in the grass right away. I nearly lost it after it damaged itself with Struggle (found out it was faster than my Farfetch'd lead, so Sketch failed), but fortunately I caught it in my first Level Ball.

Back on HeartGold, I EV trained my Chinchou. I bought 10 vitamins and used them on Chinchou, then filled its remaining EVs by fighting wild Pokemon using Power items. When I finished, I got an Effort Ribbon for Chinchou in Blackthorn City.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Well, my first streak came to an end at 38 (won 37). That battle was exceedingly haxy against me but in hindsight, I could have played more safe and gave myself better odds. If I want to get to 100, I need to play smarter and weigh all options. I got back to 21 and beat Palmer. Haven't had a chance to continue.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I checked my daily swarm on SoulSilver tonight, and it was Gulpin, the last Pokemon I wanted to catch in an Apricorn ball before restarting! I hurried over to Route 3, found a Gulpin in the grass after a few encounters, and caught it on the first turn in a Friend Ball.

With Gulpin caught, I headed over to the Pokemon Center in Pewter City to check my PC. I found that, between my Apricorn ball and a couple of legendaries, I had 10 Pokemon ready to transfer to Gen 5. I wanted to transfer 12 Pokemon, so I then decided to catch a couple more at the Safari Zone in Johto. Over there, I quickly managed to catch a Marill and a Wooper.

Finally, I sent my 12 Pokemon to my White 2. I'm almost ready to restart SS now, just need to trade my main team to another game, maybe along with some other Pokemon I still have (there are a few other legendaries in my PC that I haven't decided on trading to another Gen 4 game vs transferring to another gen yet).

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Starting a "fight through all the Regions" Thing with Johto and Heart Gold. Mostly for the Battle Frontier.

Started with a Cyndaquil named Quill. After the trip to and Back from Mr Pokemon, I went and caught a Geodude on route 46. Named her Meatball. Being a Rock type, Meatball swept through all the Trainers on the way up to Violet City. Spent some time in Dark Cave Looking for a Dunsparce. No Luck, so i decided the Trade Onix would take its place as HM slave. Caught a Hoppip named Spyre on route 32 while training. Wont use it for my team, but might be handy in Pokéathlon. Will evolve it to Skiploom at least. Quill burnt down Sprout Tower with almost no problems. Had Meatball handle the Hoothoot's, just so she'd get some experience.

Will have to start up Soul Silver eventually, so i can evolve Meatball.

Quill - Cyndaquil lvl 11
Meatball - Geodude lvl 10

Aquarelle

Staff member
On HeartGold, I spent some time battling in order to earn money to purchase vitamins. At the Fighting Dojo in Saffron, I rematched Morty several times. When I had enough of that, I went through the Pokemon League again.

After those battles, I went to the department store in Goldenrod and bought enough vitamins to EV train my Pidgey. I used them, then battled wild Pokemon until Pidgey's EV spread was complete. It didn't take that long overall, faster than Chinchou the other day since I used more vitamins this time.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Finally had some time to play again. I was able to get another 7 streak in to bring my current streak up to 28. Playing much slower this time around to really weigh out my options. So far, my team of Garchomp, Starmie, Blissey hasn't had any issues. Even with the insane amounts of double team Pokemon that the Battle Tower has thrown at me. Hoping this luck carries on.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Caught some more Pokemon in Apricorn balls on HeartGold recently (today & a couple of days ago). The Pokemon I caught included Seel, Horsea, and Slugma. I got a Snubbull swarm today, so I caught one of them, too.
I've now transferred all the Pokemon I caught all the way to Ultra Sun.

Also, I EV trained my Houndour today. I hope to EV train my Cubone next time, but I'll need to earn some more money for vitamins first.