• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Recent Happenings Thread

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Caught Rotom the other day. Good nature, too bad I’m restricting myself to Ground types. Currently in Wayward Cave. The “main section” you could call it. Caught an Impish Gligar, also obtained EQ. I’ll most likely use it on Nidoqueen, she needs the fire power. My team of three have been going pretty solid, I honestly don’t expect much problems from gyms outside of Crasher Wake and Candice. I’m probably going to switch back to HG after Veilstone and acquiring a Water Stone.

Team:
  • Grotle/BIG PA-PI
  • Nidorina/KillaKween
  • Gligar/Lil sCorpi

zolios

I got another two Gym Badges since the last time I posted and my team also changed a lot thanks to some evolutions and a new Pokemon that I caught.

I explored Hearthome City since that's where I stopped in the last update and I talked to everyone in the City and even obtained an Egg before I continued my journey towards Solaceon Town. I battled every trainer on the Route 209 before finally reaching Solaceon. I explored the town and everything it had to offer for now, the Egg from Hearthome also hatched into a Happiny but I didn't add it to my team. I did consider adding a different baby Pokemon to my team before leaving Solaceon but then after catching a Bonsly just outside of town, I somehow changed my mind and decided that I don't want to use a Sudowoodo on this team so Bonsly was stored in my PC Box. I continued my travels and after battling many trainer I finally reached Veilstone City.

I made my way towards the Veilstone Gym and battled all of the trainers inside and on the last trainer before I reach a Gym Leader my Machop had an "anime moment" because he managed to defeat three Machoke in a row so he leveled up and evolved into a Machoke after that battle. With my newly evolved Machoke the Veilstone Gym wasn't hard to beat and I won my third Gym Badge. After winning the Badge and dealing with some Team Galactic stuff I continued my journey towards Pastoria City. Before I reached Pastoria my Magby finally evolved into a Magmar after defeating a few trainer we ran into along the way. I also encountered a Girafarig and decided to catch it for my team since I never used a Girafarig before and I thought that it would be fun to use one.

I reached Pastoria City and explored it a little until I reached the Pastoria Gym. I battled all of the trainers inside the Gym with my newly caught Girafarig and that helped it catch up in levels to the rest of the team. I healed and challenged Crasher Wake. His Gyarados was tough so my Girafarig wasn't able to beat it before fainting, especially after Wake healed it with a Super Potion. I sent out Grotle next and used Curse before beating Gyrardos with Razor Leaf. Floatzel was next but Grotle won again with a couple of Razor Leaf attacks. Crasher Wake's last Pokemon was Quagsire so the battle was over on the next turn and I won my fourth Gym Badge. After the battle my Grotle evolved into a Torterra.

After the Gym battle I had to chase and battle a Team Galactic Grunt before returning to Pastoria City and then going left to try and make my way back to Hearthome.

The Team:

spr_dp_389_1.png
Galapagos Lv. 32 (M)
Nature: Quirky
Moves: Razor Leaf, Bite, Earthquake and Curse
spr_dp_067_1.png
Khabib Lv. 31 (M)
Nature: Adamant
Moves: Vital Throw, Revenge, Foresight and Focus Energy
spr_dp_198_f-1.png
Bonnie Lv. 30 (F)
Nature: Jolly
Moves: Drill Peck, Pursuit, Fly and Haze
spr_dp_126_1.png
Joker Lv. 30 (M)
Nature: Modest
Moves: Ember, Faint Attack, Fire Punch and Confuse Ray
spr_dp_203_m-2.png
Two-Face Lv. 31 (M)
Nature: Serious
Moves: Psybeam, Stomp, Agility and Baton Pass

zolios

I didn't have a lot of free time to play Pearl since the last update but I still managed to get another two Badges so I'll just quickly recap everything since there weren't any team changes this time around.

After doing some sidequest with Cynthia and her grandma, I was finally able to challenge Fantina in Hearthome City. The battle wasn't hard since I had Dark type moves on a few of my Pokemon and I also have a Murkrow on top of that. I beat her Pokemon with my Magmar, Murkrow and Torterra and won my fifth Gym Badge.

Before challenging the sixth Gym I decided to go to the Iron Island first and train my team a little more by battling all of the trainers I find there. I also got an Egg before leaving the Iron Island. I felt ready so I challenged Byron and won my sixth Gym Badge easily because my Magmar and Machoke were to strong for Byron's Steel types.

The Team:
spr_dp_389_1.png
Galapagos Lv. 38 (M)
Nature: Quirky
Moves: Razor Leaf, Bite, Earthquake and Curse
spr_dp_067_1.png
Khabib Lv. 36 (M)
Nature: Adamant
Moves: Wake-Up Slap, Revenge, Submission and Foresight
spr_dp_198_f-1.png
Bonnie Lv. 36 (F)
Nature: Jolly
Moves: Drill Peck, Faint Attack, Fly and Haze
spr_dp_126_1.png
Joker Lv. 36 (M)
Nature: Modest
Moves: Lava Plume, Faint Attack, Fire Punch and Confuse Ray
spr_dp_203_m-2.png
Two-Face Lv. 36 (M)
Nature: Serious
Moves: Psybeam, Stomp, Agility and Baton Pass

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
I’ve continued a fair bit on both HG and Platinum; HG, I’ve been playing the most recent of so I’ll post on that.

I continued my file by challenging Morty. His trainers were easy, however, Morty’s RNG was not. Gengar landed just about every Hypnosis it fired off and to add icing to the cake. All it’s Shadow Ball’s were OHKOs thanks to crit hits. It was disgusting, to put it simply.

Instead of rage quitting or anything, I took my L like a champ. Decided to give my then Croconaw a chesto berry and Prinplup too. Wasn’t even needed the second battle, Bc this time around Morty’s RNG wasn’t as bad. And I secured the W.

After gaining the ability to Surf the seas even though I have a team of Water Pokémon, I went to Slowpoke Well and got the King’s Rock and Rain Dance. It was Friday so I caught a Lapras whose qualities secured it a spot on the team. Also added a Poliwag.

Made it to Chuck’s town, today, I forget the town/city’s name. Just encountered Suicune and battled Eugene. Jeeeeeeezus, that Electrode hit me with me Thunder every time. CHomped was able to tank one, before getting a crit Shadow Claw and fainting, with Lapras cleaning up with Ice Shard.

Team:
  • Lapras
  • Poliwhirl
  • CHomped/Feraligatr
  • Slow Gyal/Slowpoke
  • big Cuz/Prinplup

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Years ago, I had the hankering to replay Platinum again (my favorite game in the series) and I stupidly reset over my initial playthrough game instead of just buying a new cart. I made a big list though of everything that I needed to do in the game and have really enjoyed slowly chipping away at it while constantly evolving my team and what not. Anyway that's a long winded way to get to why I have things to still do in the game.

The other day I tackled Regigigas, which proved to be one of the more challenging Legendary Pokemon I've caught simply because it just would not stay in the ball. Went through 62 Ultra balls and 25 Luxury balls before I finally could got it in a Timer Ball. Got really lucky with Paralysis to keep extending the battle. The frustrating things is I had Synchronize fail on me (or rather I lost the 50/50) 3 times prior; all of which were an easy and quick catch (go figure).

Gonna do some chaining now as it's my favorite way to shiny hunt and just kind of relax. Not sure what my target will be though yet.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
I hope double posting in an older forum doesn't break the rules, I checked the rules thread but the link errors. Mod's I do apologize if this isn't appropriate. Please feel free to merge with the above if needed.

That out of the way, been an interesting day of chaining. Couldn't really settle on what I wanted and had a lot of chains break randomly. After looking at the list of everything I finally settled on Pachirisu; which has a beautiful shiny. I figured this wouldn't be a huge issue as it's an electric type (so static works) and is found in an area that makes chaining easy (Valley Windworks). It took a long time to even get the chain started; was flooded with Shinx and Mareep. I finally got the chain going and on number 35, it broke to a random Shellos. Unfortunate but it happens. I believe even at 4 away and using the catch trick, your odds are still only about 98% to have it continue (it's been a while but I believe if you catch, the immediate next grass shakes add an extra 10% and I believe that you normally max out at 88% to continue.) I started the next chain and it broke at 37 again to a Shellos.

Now I like Shellos and Gastrodon, don't get me wrong. Some of my favorites actually, but this wasn't too cool. Decided then that I'd 'revenge' radar Shellos. Got to 40 easy enough. Was a bit time consuming as I had a stretch from 18-23 where I couldn't get patches I liked but that's part of the game.

Ended up with three shiny Shellos before I chose to end my chain at 43. Two of them are Quiet natured (no syncro fwiw) and the other is Quirky. Always fun to hunt something that doesn't have a bonus of sorts (static for example).

The radar in GenIV is my favorite method to shiny hunt, and while I'm not a shiny hunter myself, I find it relaxing to do from time to time. I like it more than other methods because it's involved and feels earned due to the skill require to execute a long chain. I'll probably give it a bit before I go back to hunting Pachirisu.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
I battled Chuck yesterday and narrowly won. I don’t go in these gyms prepared. It’s also been so long idk what strategies they use either. His Primeape almost demolished me with Double Team/Focus Punch. After +2 Evasion I was already missing more than I’d like and having neutral Focus Punch Damage was hell. But DragnSlaya revenged KO’d Primeape and his Poliwrath couldn’t best mine.

Jasmine wasn’t even remotely hard, none of my team fainted. Saved after trading Shock Wave to HG and some Star Pieces over to Platinum; continued my journey, on Platinum.

Currently have Platinum next to me, I haven’t done anything significant. Revived a Helix Fossil I acquired on HG, though I’m opting not to use the Omanyte, Bc I don’t wanna part with anyone of my established team. I do love me some Omastar though.

I’m at the Battle Cafe? if that’s what it’s called, restaurant at that resort area midway to Pastoria. Training this fresh Rhyhorn.

Teams:
HG
  • M I T C H/Poliwrath
  • DragnSlaya/Lapras
  • Slow Gyal/Slowpoke
  • big Cuz/Prinplup
  • CHomped/Feraligatr
Platinum
  • KillaKween/Nidorina
  • BIG PA-PI/Torterra
  • Lil sCorpi/Gliscor
  • EartHa/Rhyhorn

Last edited:

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Did a handful of things today in Platinum. Went and caught Regirock and Regice (I already had caught Registeel from earlier when I was completing the 100 battle tower wins) and it was quite a pain. I lost the 50/50 on synchronize more that I would have cared too. With all of the regi's out of the way, I did some leveling of a few team members to also pad my money - every time I max out I buy a bunch of vitamins, so I stocked up handsomely.

Figured it would be a good time to take a more detailed look at my three new shiny Shellos. Picked the best of the three IV wise and went to work EV training it. I have a few more levels to go and it will be a Gastrodon.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Oh man, it has been a doozy of a day in Platinum. Set out to gather the Lake Trio finally (thanks to other games I was able to register Dex credit without having to catch them for the National Dex). Azelf hits like a truck at +6 from Nasty plot but I caught it easy enough (went Ultraballs for all 3). Next up was Uxie and while it wasn't a big fight, I lost the 50/50 synchronize coin flip 3 times. Normally it would be whenver but when you have a catch rate of 3, it does get tedious. Mesprit though, let me tell you. 12 attempts to get one. 12!

Turns out, Mesprit can't be synchronized even though you start/set the roaming event. I learned that after the 3rd time of failing the synchronize. But oh man, it got rough. I crit-killed it multiple times in trying to weaken it before I went with my False Swipe user just so it didn't take forever. On three other attempts, I put a poison status on it accidently while trying to weaken in, etc, etc. I finally got a nature I can deal with, though not ideal. Ah well, it's not leave the GenIV cart and there is a Smogon set that uses the nature. But what chore that was.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
KillaKween learned Toxic Spikes, so I evolved her. I defeated Crasher Wake yesterday. As predicted is was close. He gave me major problems, compared to any other gym leader. It was his Floatzel tbh. Torterra somehow tanked his Gyarados’ Ice Fangs but couldn’t survive against Floatzel. Gliscor fainted after 1 Ice Fang, yet has higher defense than Torterra so idk what’s going on with the damage calcs.

Didn’t matter. Rhyhorn got lucky with its Quick Claw and Secret Powered Floatzel into a KO. Grabbed my badge and left Pastoria. Watched on as TG detonated a bomb in the Marsh. Defeated the grunt that I trailed and Cynthia sent me to Celestic Town.

At Solaceon, where I decided to pick up the seal case, since I’m also using it in HG I decided to spruce up my Platinum team. This should’ve been a recurring feature. Maybe even permanent.

Team:
BIG PA-PI/Torterra
Shellos
EartHa/Rhyhorn
Lil sCorpi/Gliscor
KillaKween/Nidoqueen

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Haven’t done TOO much since my last post. After acquiring Surf, I revisited areas I couldn’t access before. Afterwards, I went to Canalave where I battled my rival, once again beating him. Trained on Iron Island, where my Rhyhorn finally evolved. Keen to evolve it further, I headed back to the PC in Canalave. Now I need Swinub to finish off the team. Decided to give myself Thunderbolt, on HG, I’m sure Lapras will appreciate it.

Since I have HG open and my team is not nearly completed/evolved, I’m going to continue.

Platinum:
  • EartHa/Rhyperior
  • BIG PA-PI/Torterra
  • Lil sCorpi/Gliscor
  • KillaKween/Nidoqueen
  • Gastrodon
HG:
  • DragnSlaya/Lapras
  • M I T C H/Poliwrath
  • Slow Gyal/Slowpoke
  • CHomped/Feraligatr
  • big Cuz/Prinplup

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
I took the time and got the Kanto birds that I wanted. Was a very tedious process and while I'm not the biggest fan of the Master ball, it was what I went with since otherwise I'd still probably be there trying to get them. At the very least, the Master ball send out animation isn't too bad. I also got my post game team to level 100. It was fun using a team for the in game and then mixing it up for the post game.

For anyone curious, my in game team was:
Empoleon​
Staraptor​
Roserade​
Spiritomb​
Espeon​
Gliscor​
Post game team was:
Empoleon​
Starpator​
Electivire​
Heatran​
Abomasnow​
Claydol​

Been doing a lot of EV training of some of the things I've caught; Shiny Magnemite, Shiny Buizel, and then one of my shiny Shellos, along with Azelf, Mesprit, Uxie, and Zapdos. I know these are never leaving GenIV but the competitive battler in me has a hard time not letting stuff that I'm not just using on the initial ingame team be random EVs. Plus, these will be able to help out in the Battle Frontier.

Speaking of Battle Frontier, I had to grind for some more BP for Frontier TMs so I could complete some of the above Pokemon's move sets. Also got my third silver print. Which is nice as I haven't really started doing anything with the Battle Frontier yet. Leveled up Magemite > Magnezone, Buizel > Floatzel, and Shellos > Gastrodon to 45+ and then have been adding levels to the three Lake Guardians and Zapdos, and have been reclaiming a lot of the money I've lost in vitamins and coins from the Game Corner.

Been spending a lot of time underground too. I wish I would have known about Gem/Sphere gardens much earlier into DPPs life. It makes the underground experience so much better. Easily spending an hour down their because the wall pings just feel endless. Been nabbing a lot of useful items and evolutions stones. I will say that I'm really bummed even after all of these years that the new stones introduced are not available in the Battle Frontier or found in the underground. It makes them a really limiting resource.

Also decided to randomly throw Magneton (before I evolved) into some contest, so I was able to get the first two ribbons in the Cool contest on it. Need to start farming berries for poffins but I'm not excited to do that just yet. I did it a few years ago with a different berry and it was such a time synch amassing the amount of berries I wanted. We'll see how that goes, but I will need the trainer star at some point.

I /think/ that covers everything.

Drummerdude

Not sure if I am just inept with computers or what because I can't figure out how to upload the picture but....

AFTER NINE MONTHS OF MISERY I FINALLY GOT SHINY LUGIA!!!!!!

I ended up chucking the Master Ball at it because I was too terrified to attempt to attack it. Naive nature which isn't that big of a concern to me. I had to get used to this team again since it had been so long but I made my way into Kanto and through Victory Road to challenge the Pokemon League. I trained everyone up to Lvl 44 because I wasn't feeling confident.....mostly because of Ledian. But I did manage to defeat the Elite 4 and Ledian defeated Will's Exeggutor and Karen's Vileplume! Really the only Pokemon that gave me issues were Karen's Houndoom and Lance's many Dragonites. Feels good to finally finish this one even though I do plan on going through Kanto and beating Red with a freaking Ledian to assert my dominance over this game.

157.png
Lv46
166.png
Lv44
195.png
Lv45
462.png
Lv46
203.png
Lv45
217.png
Lv44

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Just now finished the Johto League. And I must say I’m so happy I stayed with the team I wanted, for the most part. Whole team was under leveled when we challenged the E4 but they were pretty easy. Only had seven revives so I definitely had to be careful.

Lance was the only one who I could say gave me anything close to a problem.

Team:
  • big Cuz/Empoleon Lv. 45
  • CHomped/Feraligatr Lv. 38
  • DragnSlaya/Lapras Lv. 37
  • Slow Gyal/Slowbro Lv.42
  • my Mans/Mantine Lv. 35
  • Sea Dragon/Kingdra Lv. 36
Mantine was just fodder after Koga, which is why I brought it along; I’ll be using Suicune once I get it. Empoleon was clutch and to a lesser extent Slowbro. Yawn, Stealth Rock, and Perish Song were my best non damaging moves they really helped control most of the E4 battles.

Excited to get through Kanto. I always lose steam at this point; I promised myself I’d start a Gen 5 mono-run so I may or may not start that...after I decide what type I’m using.

MurasakiAlex

Agatha's Apprentice
I just restarted my SoulSilver version and attempted at trying a soft resetting for a Shiny starter. Finally got a shiny Cyndaquil and named it Carnelian. After somehow being lucky enough to encounter Athena, a shiny Hoothoot on Route 32, I decided to attempt my first shiny hunt on my game.

Play time: 14:30
Player: Alex
PokeDex: 12
Badges: 1
Trainer ID: 08089

Location Route: Route 33

TEAM:
Slot 1: Staryu Lv. 10 (fainted with Illuminate ability.)
Slot 2: Athena Lv. 7 (Shiny Hoothoot)
Slot 3: Abra Lv. 15 (with Synchronize ability)
Slot 4: Carnelian Lv. 17 (Shiny Quilava)
Slot 5: Ekans Lv. 7 (in case Athena faints or to more successfully Run Away.)
Slot 6: Mysterious Egg

I'm trying to Repel Trick for a shiny Ekans on Route 33. Used my Pokewalker to bring over a Abra with Synchronize and a Staryu with Illuminate. Also sold some Big Pearls I found on Beautiful Beach to get plenty of Repels, PokeBalls, and Potions. Oh yeah and Antidotes while also soft resetting so I won't have to buy more Repels. I'm not sure which is best using Synchronize or Illuminate to attempt shiny hunting? I have no idea what my SID is but I think that the personality "Mischievous" is connected to a Pokemon possibly being shiny since both Carnelian and Athena have the "Mischievous" as their personality trait. Carnelian is Male with Jolly Nature and Athena Female with Calm.

Would love to try Cute charm but cant find my Platinum at the moment to trade over a Jigglypuff or Clefairy and they aren't found until post game. so that option is out.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Just finished a dual playthrough of Pokemon: Platinum and Soul Silver Version. Gotta say it was a fun experience switching between the two games. It took a month to complete the story for both games but I'm happy to have spent the time doing it. I decided to give each team a theme for their nicknames, Platinum being the colors each Pokemon mainly has and Soul Silver after the planets of our solar system.

Platinum:
392.png
Scarlet (Infernape)(F)
398.png
Silver (Staraptor)(F)
130.png
Indigo (Gyrados)(M)
065.png
Saffron (Alakazam)(M)
055.png
Sapphire (Golduck)(M)
470.png
Olive (Leafeon)(F)
409.png
Cobalt (Rampardos)(M)
359.png
Ivory (Absol)(F)

Soul Silver:
157.png
Mars (Typhlosion)(M)
022.png
Venus (Fearow)(F)
076.png
Saturn (Golem)(M)
212.png
Mercury (Scizor)(F)
197.png
Luna (Umbreon)(M)
131.png
Neptune (Lapras)(F)

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Doing a Mono Poison Run on Platinum. Started last week. Seeing how as how I’m off tomorrow I’m going to try and get through as much as possible. Currently outside of Eterna Forest.

Team:
StenCHii/Muk
MOUf TRAP/Bellsprout
Zubat
Budew

Muk is from HG (Bellsprout too) but I decided to use that instead of Grimer Bc it’s only Lv 15. Basically serves as fodder as Zubat is the only caught Pokémon on Platinum I intend to keep. She’s pretty clutch now that I’ve got Pluck in her move set. Tryna blow through and get a decent Gastly so I’ll at least have two members that’ll obey me. Lol.

zolios

Since I didn't get into the competitive side of Pokemon until Gen 6, I never actually did much in the famous Battle Frontier so I recently decided to change that and try to get the Gold Print from Battle Tower in my Heart Gold. It took some time to get the team ready but I managed to do it and now I got my team with their right natures and I also EV trained them, I couldn't be bothered to try to IV breed in Gen 4 tho so their IVs are all over the place.

I didn't want to look up guides on best teams for this so I just picked the team I liked and thought that could work well together. My team is:
- Alakazam (Timid), Focus Sash, Moves: Psychic, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball and Focus Blast
- Garchomp (Adamant), Choice Scarf, Moves: Earthquake, Outrage, Rock Slide and Fire Fang
- Gyarados (Jolly), Lum Berry, Moves: Waterfall, Ice Fang, Earthquake and Dragon Dance

I just finished the first session and it's going great for now. I beat Palmer after 21 battles and won the Silver Print. I actually just won battle 28 before saving and stopping for the day. Planning to continue in the next couple of day and hopefully I can get the Gold Print on my first try but I doubt it since there is a lot of luck involved in these battle facilities so it might take me a few tries.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
As of now I’m currently in Hearthome City. Haven’t caught any Pokémon and I was a little disappointed when I found out Budew was was not one of the Pokémon able to walk in Amity Square? I only really wanted Secret Power, as I have a Luck Incense; I may back track. I do however need to go back and explore both sections of Wayward Cave.

The team has been going quite well. After my last post I realized I didn’t need Gastly but.... then I checked the availability of Skorupi, and saw it’s limited to binoculars in The Great Marsh. So I decided to keep Gastly in case I don’t find a Skorupi.

Team:
DOO-Pom’s/Gastly
MOUF TRAP/Weepinbell
STenCHii/Muk
frOOt BAT/Golbat

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
A few days ago, I boarded the boat to Iron Island in Platinum to pick up all the respawning Star Pieces. After collecting them all, I headed towards the exit, and suddenly encountered a shiny male Graveler. Because I had no Pokemon with Damp on my team, I worried he'd blow up, but luckily, a single Quick Ball was enough to catch him. I nicknamed him Gravy and found out he was Naive. I then saved the game.