• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Gen Recent Happenings Thread

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Since my last post I’ve made it Lost Tower. Traveling through Sinnoh so far has been going pretty well. Bellsprout evolved, Gastly is fully evolved, Golbat has still been coming in clutch. Though I suspect Gengar will be just as helpful now. Slapped Dark Pulse and Shadow Ball on it while I had it in HG when I did it’s trade evolution.

DS is charging but I’m hoping I make it to Pastoria later and find my last two or possibly three members.

zolios

So I managed to get the Gold Print from Palmer in Heart Gold's Battle Tower on my third attempt. The first one ended at battle 43 to a Double Team Umbreon and the second attempt ended at around battle number 30 to a Curse Lapras with Ice Shard, I had the wrong Pokemon in the lead for that Lapras set and that allowed it to set up and beat me. The third attempt however went great and I beat Palmer at battle number 50 and won the Gold Print. The Pokemon I used to beat the Battle Tower were the Red Gyarados, Garchomp and Alakazam. I talked more about my team for this challenge in my previous post so you can check that out if you want to know the movesets and other details of my team.

Edit: I just realized that I didn't put the EV spreads of my Pokemon in my previous post but that's probably because the spreads are very simple and you can probably guess them already. Alakazam had 252 EVs in Special Attack and Speed and Garchomp and Gyarados had 252 EVs in Attack and Speed, the last 4 EVs were put into HP for all three of them. Very simple but very effective EV spreads imo since I didn't feel the need to get to fancy with the EVs when they didn't have the perfect IVs anyways.

Last edited:

Nyter

Island Challenger
In light if the Diamond/Pearl remakes, I decided to start a new game file on my Diamond version (I didn't want to erase my Platinum game file as it contains A LOOOOOOOOT of saved data in there). I forgot a lot of this game's plot and want to relive it before I venture through BD/SP.

I chose Chimchar as my starter as I know there is a lack of fire type Pokemon in the regional Dex for that game.

So far I have Chimchar, Pachirisu, and Buizel on board. We just beat Gardenia, the Eterna City gym leader.

I have several Pokemon in my Box for back-up and support, such as Kricketune, Zubat, Meditite, Hoot-Hoot, Shinx, Bidoof, and Chingling.

I am on my way to Eterna Forest to explore the Old Chateau.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
So I managed to get the Gold Print from Palmer in Heart Gold's Battle Tower on my third attempt. The first one ended at battle 43 to a Double Team Umbreon and the second attempt ended at around battle number 30 to a Curse Lapras with Ice Shard, I had the wrong Pokemon in the lead for that Lapras set and that allowed it to set up and beat me. The third attempt however went great and I beat Palmer at battle number 50 and won the Gold Print. The Pokemon I used to beat the Battle Tower were the Red Gyarados, Garchomp and Alakazam. I talked more about my team for this challenge in my previous post so you can check that out if you want to know the movesets and other details of my team.

Edit: I just realized that I didn't put the EV spreads of my Pokemon in my previous post but that's probably because the spreads are very simple and you can probably guess them already. Alakazam had 252 EVs in Special Attack and Speed and Garchomp and Gyarados had 252 EVs in Attack and Speed, the last 4 EVs were put into HP for all three of them. Very simple but very effective EV spreads imo since I didn't feel the need to get to fancy with the EVs when they didn't have the perfect IVs anyways.
Congratulations on the Gold print!

Are you planning on going for the 100 streak for the Trainer Card star? If so, this post of mine from earlier and this link to Battle tower teams might be of interest to you.

My post

Battle Tower Opponent Teams

zolios

Congratulations on the Gold print!

Are you planning on going for the 100 streak for the Trainer Card star? If so, this post of mine from earlier and this link to Battle tower teams might be of interest to you.

My post

Battle Tower Opponent Teams
Thanks, I'm not planning to go for the 100 wins at the moment since my first goal is to get a Gold Print in all 5 facilities, I actually got a Gold print in Battle Hall as well recently (I did it with Garchomp) so I have 3 more facilities left but I'm not in a hurry so I don't know how long it will take me to do it. But the Battle Tower streak is at 50 so I can easily continue it if I ever decide to go for the Trainer Card star and I'll definitely use the link for Trainers that you linked. :)

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Had some time to kill so I decided to boot up and do some chaining. I'm not really a shiny hunter by any means but every now and then I'll enjoy the chase or the thrill of it. I know there are easier methods but my favorite way is the radar since it's involved and takes some level of skill. Lately I've been somewhat fascinated with Shiny Lunatone. I really like the blue color and I've always been a space junky. Saw that it was a Sapphire insert and an 8% encounter and went to work. This one was frustrating to say the least - hard to get the chain started, and no field effect to help you out. I got a chain up to 25 last night and it broke randomly on a grass patch 4 away with the same shake. It happens, not mad, but definitely gonna be something that I pace out and take break on before I go back to it.

Had some more time this morning since it's going to rain all day so I figured I'd warm up with a hunt that's escaped me for the better part of a decade. I've always really like Shiny Pachirisu. You'd think this would be easy. Big open grass patch by Valley Windworks, and you get a field effect to help you out. Yet some how, this one just hasn't happened for me. Chains continually break at the ~35 range, even using the catching trick. It's like I'm cursed. Had two chains today break, one at 35 and one at 33. I'll have to try again another day. V_v

I'll ask though, does anyone else have a Radar chain mon that they just can't seem to get no matter how skilled they are at chaining?

EDIT: Had some extra time tonight while watching some playoff basketball - finally got the chain to 40 and got 3 shiny Pachirisu! The 3rd shiny square was right on the edge so I knew there was a risk the chain would break, but that's okay.

This has been an on-off hunt since late '07 early '08. Nice to finally have it completed!

Last edited:

NeganTheSavior

I'm attempting my very first Nuzlocke in Platinum. There's a very good chance this is going to be a disaster since I've had difficulty with some of the trainers in this game in the past (Cyrus and Cynthia in particular) but I figured I'd give it a shot and see what I think of it.

If I don't like it, I can always stop and play like usual. That works, too.

Madison M

After almost 12 years of playing Pokémon, I finally got one Battle Frontier print yesterday. It was the Silver Print from the Battle Factory, but it's still great even though I typically don't like battles. A Gliscor with Guillotine really carried my team since it always landed (except one time) and helped a lot in the battle against Thorton. I called him Robespierre.

Now I'm working on building a team for the rest of the Battle Frontier. I'm thinking Snorlax, Empoleon, and Salamence. Though I know very little about competitive battling so I'm nervous. Especially since I should get EVs but I hate battling and have never EV trained before.

Martinat388

He did the thing!
I got a copy of Heartgold from a friend recently, and I've been playing through it.
I've defeated all of the Johto gym leaders and almost all of the Kanto gym leaders. This is my team currently:
Greg the Feraligatr (named it that cause I watched the artlocke) Level 73
Wooloo the Ampharos (named it that cause it's a sheep) Level 52
Dream the Dragonair (went with that name cause I got a Chansey with a lucky egg 1st try, and then on my first try fishing at the dragon's den I encountered a Dragonair, which is so lucky it's insane) Level 51
Eusine the Suicune (since he'll never get it I named it after him) Level 50
Oh-ho the Ho-oh (I didn't know what to name it so one of my friends told me to name it this)
Tidal King the Lugia (that's what I named it in Alpha Sapphire) Level 70

Martinat388

He did the thing!
This morning I got to Argenta in Heartgold with Feraligatr, but unfortunately, she had Mesprit, and due to reflect, crunch wasn't strong enough to defeat it.
Just now, I was able to get back to it, and this time she had a Glaceon, and since waterfall crit twice in a row, I was able to win!
Dream must've given his luck to Feraligatr in that fight
I'm currently saving up BP to teach Feraligatr ice punch, and after that I wanna get a choice band, and once I get those two items, I'll go back to grinding

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Was grinding some BP in Battle Tower on Platinum since I needed some TMs. Figured to make it mindless, I'd use my team designed for the 100 streak since it's built to handle the hax that Battle Tower likes to throw at you. I casually made it to battle 40 before I had some of the most insane hax I've ever had in one battle. This team could take a lot of nonsense but let me tell you, I got taken out back and put down.

Not even mad, almost comical how much junk got thrown at me. I saved the battle video just to log the turns and let me tell you, it's ugly. Looking back, I see a play I could have made that would have changed the outcome, but nothing you can do about it now.

Bought the TM's I needed and then finished EV training my Articuno and Moltres. I battled the gym leaders in the Survival Area café and then called it a day.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Had some time this morning and got myself a streak in Platinum's Battle Tower since I'm short on BP; currently at a 42 streak with no real close calls. I have traded all of my Pick Up pokemon to different games so I decided to start leveling up some new Pokemon so I can start to farm the three new evolutionary stones. Ended my playtime with spending time in the Underground - creating a sphere farm has really made the underground an enjoyable experience, I highly recommend doing it.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Had some time this morning so I went to continue the next set of 7 on my Platinum Battle Tower streak. Cruised through the first six battles with ease. Battle 7 against Palmer wasn't necessarily difficult but he got two untimely critical hits which complicated things a bit. Took the win, my 20 Battle Points, and Gold print and went on my way.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I'm wrapping up my Platinum game and preparing to start Soul Silver.

This week, I got my last few evolutions done. I had to evolve Mamoswine, Weaville, Mantine, and Dusclops. I still need to evolve the Mareep I just caught to Ampharos, but I might just trade that to Soul Silver. I am also catching the Regis - I only need to catch RegIce.

I've basically used Poke Transfer to move most of my captures over to White 2 and into Bank from there. I still need to move my core team, reserves, Legendaries, and Unknown out to Bank and trade a few Level 1 Pokemon into Soul Silver (Lvl 7 Glaceon and Leafeon since I can't evolve those in Johto, Lvl 1 starters, and a few other low-level Pokemon).

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
So I’ve completely wrapped my Platinum game this week. I‘ve captured all of the legendaries in the game and sent them up to Bank through one of the 5th Gen games I have. I had to change my plans briefly when I learned that I could get the other two members of the Creation Trio. They were surprisingly easy to catch.

Started my Soul Silver game yesterday. I’m using Cyndaquill as my starter, and my team will mostly consist of Pokemon I bred in Platinum and traded over. These include:
  • Riolu - Lvl. 1
  • Turtwig - Lvl 1
  • Piplup - Lvl 1
  • Chimchar - Lvl 1
  • Eevee - Lvl 1
  • Eevee - Lvl 1
  • Glaceon - Lvl 7
  • Leafeon - Lvl 7
  • Ralts - Lvl 1
  • Shinx - Lvl 3
My goal is to minimize captures, so I will be using this group as my core team. I have a few gaps I need to fill (like a flying type), but outside of that and any rare, Legendaries, and pseudo-legendaries, I don’t really plan to capture too many Pokemon. The traded Pokemon also help ease the difficult level curve. I know that makes the game less challenging, but I don’t have that much time to grind and level up.

zolios

I just defeated Dahlia in my Heart Gold to get the Battle Arcade Gold Print. I also got the Battle Castle Gold Print a while ago but I forgot to post about it on here. This means that with the Battle Tower and Battle Hall Gold Prints from before (I talked about them on here earlier this year), I now have 4 Battle Frontier Gold Prints and I'm very close to reaching my goal of having all 5 Gold Prints on my Heart Gold. Only Battle Factory left and tbh I'm not looking forward to having to leave my team that helped me win first 4 Gold Prints behind and being forced to use random Pokemon. Hopefully it won't be too hard to get the last Gold Print.

The team I used to get these 4 Gold Prints was: Red Gyarados, Garchomp and Alakazam (for the Battle Hall challenge I went with Garchomp out of these three).

Edit: Also if anyone has done the Battle Factory challenge, do you have any advice for me? Do both Lvl. 50 and Lvl. 100 challenges give you a Gold Print or just Lvl. 100? If both give out the Gold Print then which one is better/easier to do, Lvl. 50 or 100?

Last edited:

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Edit: Also if anyone has done the Battle Factory challenge, do you have any advice for me? Do both Lvl. 50 and Lvl. 100 challenges give you a Gold Print or just Lvl. 100? If both give out the Gold Print then which one is better/easier to do, Lvl. 50 or 100?
If memory serves, it's important to switch pokemon constantly due to your starting pokemon having less/no IVs or EVs and the farther you go, the better the rental pokemon's hidden stats are.

Could be wrong and it's been a while, but I remember it being important to pick a strong team to start but to also be prepared to dump it quick.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
took a recently learned trick from crystal digital version. beating the generic team in the 1st useful kanto town. the 3 johto starters are a bit annoying to beat as the meganium is a pain in the butt. i used sword dance Fetch'd in crystal for easy peezy win. i did that trick in HG also, EVPZ win if i avoid too much leech seed, protect stalling and toxic damage (pecha berry held) can sweep all 3 easily or atleast get down to typholsion with 5 members at full health on my team.