• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Generation Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

spra92

I thought this would be fun to start again. I'd really like to have it active. I love posting as well as following other people's stories.

Rules

1. The Pokemon may be double-typed, e.g. Butterfree would be acceptable on both a flying team and a bug team.

2. All the Pokemon must be based around one type. Here's an example of a water type team:

empoleon
floatzel
octillery
gastrodon
quagsire
gyarados

3. Ubers may be used but keep in mind this is supposed to be a challenge. A team with both Mewtoo and Lugia wouldn't offer much of a challenge.

4. Your challenge ends upon beating the Elite Four in Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. Or Beating Red in Heart Gold and Soul Silver. But you are encouraged to try your team in the Battle Tower.

5. You may not have two of the same pokemon or two in the same evolution line (e.g buizel+floatzel)

6. If you pick a starter that is not of your type, then it may not be used after you have obtained one pokemon of your chosen type.

7. The pokemon may learn moves through TMs, but you are not allowed to use two of the same TM (e.g. teaching two pokemon solarbeam)

8. You may have pokemon of another type in your team, but only as HM slaves, NOT to be used in battle.

9. If your type is something that is not present at the beginning, you may trade something over, but once again this is supposed to be a challenge. Please do not teach the traded Pokemon additional moves or attach items prior to being traded.

10. Have fun!!!

I will start by saying I have Diamond, Platinum, and Soul Silver. I am going to attempt a bug challenge in Platinum due to the fact that I haven't used many of those before.

I am also open to suggestions for the other two games.

I'm not gonna restart my game for this...but I will use my monotype Grass against the Gym Leaders in the Survival Area, as well as the other trainers, including my rival. I'll keep track of who I've beaten, and once they're all defeated at least once, I'll take on the E4.

I want to do this, just not at the cost of my game and the hours I've spent. So here's my compromise. Take it or leave it if you wish.

SneaselClaw

It's pretty limited to what types you can have to make it worth the challenge, I just started Platinum really, and I would choose an Ice type. But without trading I'd have to wait until I head towards Snowpoint City before I get one in my team.

EDIT: Just saw the trading clause in the rules, but I think that ruins the game. I don't trade until after I've beaten the E4

7 tyranitars

I'm gonna do a bug mono on Heartgold I don 't know what I'm gonna take exactly but
these are the ones I can confirm:
-foretress
-ariados
-butterfree

I'll post here to keep you guys up to date :p

spra92

Link: I don't mind. I'm just glad to see some action on this forum.

Sneasel: I think it's kinda fun. If I were to do ice, I would trade over something simple. Like Swinub. But don't put any extra moves on it. Raise it as a starter.

7 Tyrantitars: I feel ya. Bug is gonna be somewhat difficult. On Platinum, Roroak is pretty difficult.

Anyone have any suggestions for my other two games?

UPDATE: I started off my journey by doing the usual tasks. I chose Piplup for no reason in particular. I didn't use Piplup much as it was a Bug Challenge. I caught Kricketot as soon as I received Pokeballs, and deposited my Piplup for good. I immediately started the vigorous training of using Bide against low level Pokemon. I evolved it into Kricketune at level 10 and went to take on the Gym. By the time I had fought my way to the leader, I was level 16 and knew it would be a difficult fight. I loaded up on potions and acquired a metronome from another Kricketot. I fought Roroak and won by singin her pokemon to sleep followed by spamming fury cutter. Overall, it was one of the most difficult fights I have encountered. I then fought my way to Florama town and set up the honey to catch my second Pokemon, Combee.

Pokemon

Kricketune "Bach" Lvl 19
Sing
Return
Bide
Fury Cutter

Last edited:

Starbreaker

I would like to do the monotype challenge on SoulSilver, but i've got no idea on which type to choose, so why doesn't somebody here choose a type for me to use if that's okay?

spra92

StarBreaker: I'm in the same boat. Wanna do one together with the same type. It might be interesting to compare strategies. I also have SS, but I have no idea what type to choose.

As far as in Platinum, Ive accomplished alot. I just beat Crasher Wake to earn my fifth badge and My team is nearing completion. I can't seem to get my hands on a Heracross though.

Kricketune "Bach" lvl.37
Ariel Ace
X Scissor
Return
Slash

This was my starter. He's come along way. He is starting to lack usefulness though.

Vespaquen "Vespa" lvl. 39
Power Gem
Attack Order
Slash
Thief

My Powerhouse right now. Power Gem is a savior against fire types and flyers. Thief is for taking items.

Scyther "Stryke" lvl. 35
Return
Pursuit
Wing Attack
Steel Wing

A heavy hitter who I'm beginning to love.

Yanmega "Meta" lvl. 35
Ancient Power
Silver Wind
Uproar
Pursuit

Going to end up being my strongest. Waiting to gain access to some new moves.

Scroupi "PredatorX" lvl.32
Acupressure
Bug Bite
Toxic Spikes
Scary Face

My work in progress.

Overall, Bug has been kinda hard. I don't have much to hit the water, and rock types with. Not looking forward to the Elite Four.

Sprintking

Hmmm well why don't both of you try normal? I'm currently doing one in my original Silver game, and there are plenty of options, and plenty of options early.

Koriosko

I've restarted my heart gold (I have both ss and hg) for the 2nd time the other day and these are the strategies i've taken so far,

First playthrough,
Eevees,
Flareon, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Glaceon, Leafeon and Espeon
All were hatched with no special moves, except for Espeon who I evolved from the Eevee recieved from Bill.

Second playthrough,
Starters - No Medicine
I used the 3 Johto starters' final forms, but did not use any medicine or repeat items. I also used egg moves, since I worked hard to get the egg moves, and no medicine was very challenging.

Current playthrough,
Small Legendaries
Shaymin, Mew, Jirachi, Celebi, Rotom and Manaphy
Again, no medicine, but still it is a relitively easy playthrough

I like to look for a challange though, and I've done monotypes before (in platinum, I did steel, fire, ice and dark), but if there are any other challanges someone can think of I would love to try tackle them. Well, playthrough challenges anyway lol

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Greetings! This is my second monotype challenge, after a Poison challenge in Fire Red. I had a great time, so I'm now doing a Steel team in Diamond. I am about to challenge Roark.

My current team is:

Prinplup - "Feathrclaw" (Female) - Level 16 - Careful - 49/28/26/29/33/24

I also plan on using Bastiodon, Probopass, Magnezone, Lucario and Bronzong, but I may switch out for Steelix or Wormadam Trash Cloak just for fun.

bulbasaur14

Bulbasaur line ftw
i just finished fighting in platinum my final team was

Infernape
Lucario
Toxicroak
Heracross
Hitmontop
machoke

it was alot of fun and i recomend it to anyone

TheodoreTM

Poké-luthier
After I trade my Bulbasaur to HG I'm probably gonna do a Grass Monotype in Pearl, mind you without that same Bulbasaur ;) perhaps I'll trade one Eevee to Pearl for a Leafeon, but that'll be my only trade.

spra92

Glad to see this thread getting some action.

I beat the Elite 4 on Platinum with my mono-bug team. It was incredibly difficult at times, but it was interesting using a set of Pokemon I would usually not give a second look. Yanmega was my saving grace as he tore apart a mahority of the Elite Four.

So does anyone have any suggestions for restarting Platinum?

TheodoreTM

Poké-luthier
What about Poison or Ground? There are a fair amount of them out there in Platinum.

7 tyranitars

I'm gonna do a ground mono on platinum and this time I hope I can complete it :/

team now:

turtwig lvl 7

I'm not gonna spoil every suprise but I already say I atleast add graveler and gliscor to my team :)

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
i think i might do a fire monoype in HG, i mean, there not very common. Here are some people i might have.

cyndaquil->Typhlosion
Magby (via pokewalker)->Magmar(->magmortar?)
Eevee->Flareon
Growlithe->Arcanine
Entei
Ho-oh

i'm not 100% sure i'll take these ones, though.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I beat Gardenia and Maylene today, and brought over a few Pokemon to add. I'm headed to challenge Wake now, here's my team:

Prinplup (Feathrclaw) - Level 30 - Careful -
Onix (Naga) - Level 28 - Quirky -
Shieldon (Illich) - Level 34 - Impish -
Bronzor (Jade) - Level 28 - Relaxed -
Nosepass (Mrs Nesbit) - Level 27 - Calm -

And, what do you know, I got Pokerus somewhere beyond Hearthome.

Kudos to anyone who gets the joke behind my Nosepass' name.

Status
Not open for further replies.