• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Generation Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

spra92

WQ-Very nice. It looks like you're killing it. I never though of Shieldon as an offensive powerhouse, but it seems to be doing well. Is the fifth memeber of your team possibly going to be Lucario? HA

I think I will begin another one of these tonight. Maybe Normal on SS or Rock on Platinum. I have a boring day tomorrow and look to get alot accomplished. BTW, I'm not very experienced with 4th gen. and my Bug mono was my first playthrough. How difficult is it to find the fossils?

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Well, ive oficially restarted HG and ive got two badges and three Pokemon already (Trying a monotype fire), tell me what you think: (Since i only have three, they get strong pretty fast)

Quilava Lvl 23-Timid @charcoal
Ember/Quick Attack/Smokescreen/Flame Wheel.

Magby Lvl 22 Naughty
Ember/Fire Spin/Faint Attack/Rock Smash

Growlithe Lvl 22 Adamant
Flame Wheel/Bite/Leer/Ember

I also have a HM slave Bellsprout with Cut/Flash, but that's not really the team.

Spa92: You should find a fossil more or less everytime you go underground. (I remember sending an Old Amber from my Pearl to my Platinum si i could start wit a lvl 20 Aerodactyl)

spra92

Thanks. I'm liking your challenge. I'm actually thinking about restarting all three of my games and doing monotype normal. I think it would be cool to use different pokemon on each one. We'll see.

DarkLikeTheNewMoon

Sleepy Pyromaniac :3
Hmm, this looks fun. Any ideas for me for Platinum after I trade my babies over to SS? I was thinking Flying, Psychic, Electric or Ghost...Most probably psychic as I want a male Gardevior again....

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
WQ-Very nice. It looks like you're killing it. I never though of Shieldon as an offensive powerhouse, but it seems to be doing well. Is the fifth memeber of your team possibly going to be Lucario? HA

I think I will begin another one of these tonight. Maybe Normal on SS or Rock on Platinum. I have a boring day tomorrow and look to get alot accomplished. BTW, I'm not very experienced with 4th gen. and my Bug mono was my first playthrough. How difficult is it to find the fossils?

He's Bastiodon now, and he's doing quite well. Actually, his Take Down was pretty mean even before he evolved, and his Swagger took out Wake's Floatsel... or rather, made it take out itself. XD Most anticlimactic gym battle ever.

Anyway, just beat Wake, and I've evolved a few of my Pokemon. Here's the team:

Clawfeathr (Prinplup) Level 32 - Careful - Return/Peck/Bubblebeam/Metal Claw
Illich (Bastiodon) Level 30 - Impish - AncientPower/Swagger/Take Down/Iron Defense
Jade (Bronzong) Level 33 - Relaxed - Extrasensory/Grass Knot/Flash/Confuse Ray
Mrs Nesbit (Probopass) Level 29 - Calm - Tackle/Harden/Rock Throw/ Thunder Wave
Naga (Onix) Level 28 - Quirky - Stealth Rock/Rock Smash/Rock Throw/ Slam

And yes, I do plan on having a Lucario, and probably will eventually switch out Onix/Steelix for Probopass. There just aren't a lot of steel team options, really. I thought about Trash Cloak Wormadam, but I don't have the patience to look for the right Burmy to use.

I'm trying to decide what sort of challenge to do next. I'm thinking about doing a single-stage only challenge in Emerald or Ruby. Or, since this challenge isn't taking long, I may do a Diamond scramble.

Last edited:

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Well, your team's getting on well.

My Team's doing brilliant. Typhlosion, Magmar, Flareon, Arcanine, and i put my whole story on hold when trying to get entei, but he's MINE now, MINE!!! Anyway, i'm off to the rad tower to kick some rocket butt. (Those Houndours/Houndooms will be annoying)

Typhlosion @ charcoal Lvl 38 (Timid)
Lava Plume/Quick Attack/Swift/Focus Blast

Magmar @ Quick Claw Lvl 37 (Naughty)
Lava Plume/Fire Punch/Cunfuse Ray/Rock Smash

Arcanine @Shell Bell Lvl 39 (Adamant)
Fire Fang/Reversal/Flamethrower/Extremespeed

Flareon @King's Rock Lvl 38 (Jolly)
Fire Spin/Bite/Sand Attack/Shadow Ball

Entei @ Wide Lens (Bashful, didnt have the choice)
Fire Spin/Stomp/Flamethrower/Will'o Wisp.

Next up, HO-OH

spra92

My First Pokemon

I began my mono-type challenge tonight. I selected Turtwig as my starter, though it would not be around for long. After learning how to catch Pokemon, I caught my true starter, a lvl. 2 Bidoof, affectionately named Chomper. I spent a while raising him to about level 9 and then ventured to fight the trainers on the way to Jubilife. I also caught my second Pokemon, a lvl. 4 Starly named Apache. We beat Barry again and fought through all the trainers along the way to Oreburgh. We got Rorark from the mine and Bidoof evolved and learned water gun. With him, I was able to beat the first gym rather convincingly.

Bibarel "Chomper" lvl. 16
Return
Rollout
Defense Curl
Water Gun

Starly "Apache" lvl. 11
Tackle
Quick Attack
Wing Attack
Growl

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Looks tough. Good luck. Which game are you using? It would be alot easier if you had platinum, you already get Togepi, Porygon, and Eevee, to a lesser extent.

I'm finding it hard to catch Ho-oh. I usaully send out Flareon since he has flash fire, but Extrasensory sure is annoying. I should have taken a Houndoom...

EDIT: I actually caught it shiny!!! (i cursed myself for not having my master ball at first. Should have done more lottery XD)

Another thing i remember doing a while back, I caught a golbat (Lvl 46 i think) from Mt. Silver and traded it over to my blue. and i only used that Golbat. By the time i finished the game, it was level 72. Pity it couldn't evolve...
I was thinking about doing that with my old Diamond: I send over something like a Misdreavus level 30 and i only use that.

Last edited:

spra92

Yeah. I actually am using Platinum which is fortunate. But I'm not sure what else I'll use. We'll see as it rolls around. I'm also gonna start the same type on Soul Silver to see how things compare.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Well, Sentret/Furret has a MASSIVE move-pool (Flamethrower, surf, Shadow claw, ect...). You can get Rattata and Pidgey, AND Jigglypuff ,if you know where to look, early. Plus Kangashkan with the Pokewalker, she'll be pretty tough, i bet, though the ghost gym migt be annoying. Hooray for Bite!!!
For your Platinum, i'm sure there's plenty to go around: Munchlax and Aipom can be aquired pretty fast and Lopunny is a good option. Chansey, Eevee and Porygon can be taken later aswell (Though Eevee isn't all that good since it can't evolve, though Healing Wish is useful. Blissey is a good wall and porygon Z rocks with adaptability). Togekiss will definately take some time, but Extremespeed, aura sphere, Sky attack and a 60% flinch Air Slash makes it worthwile, Girafarig will get a good hit on Fighting types and the rather annoying ghost-type too, though it's not all that powerful, luckily it has power swap. And there's Lickilicky and Chatot aswell, though i don't recommend them.
But i'd say:

Bibarel (All round pretty good. Super Fang/Brine works amazingly well.)
Staraptor (Can do damage with Brave Bird/Roost)
Snorlax (Good HP and Better offensive stats than Blissey)
Porygon-2/Z. (Good pokemon. Z is more offensive than 2, but i'm not sure where you find the dubious disc)
Togekiss (Too good to not have, serene Grace is destructive.)
and either Ambipom (a Technician Nasty Plot Swifter deals a hell lot more than good), or Blissey (Very good defensively, as you probably know).
I'd go for Ambipom, but you choose.

Anyways, i'm gonna get that league!!! Hopefully, My team is good enough. was thinking of evolving Magmar but i decided it wasn't fair.

Typhlosion Lvl 47 @ Charcoal (timid)
Swift/Flamethrower/Hidden Power (Grass)/Focus Blast

Magmar Lvl 48 Muscle Band (naughty)
Fire Punch/Confuse Ray/Thunderpunch/Low Kick

Arcanine Lvl 47 @ Life Orb (Adamant)
Fire Fang/Thunder Fang/Extremespeed/Reversal

Flareon Lvl 48 @ Choice Scarf (Jolly)
Fire Fang/Bite/Shadow Ball/Headbutt

Entei Lvl 46 @ Quick Claw (Bashful)
Secret Power/Stone Edge/Flamethrower/Will-o-Wisp

Shiny Ho-oh Lvl 48 @ Wide Lens (Hasty)
Extrasensory/Sacred Fire/Brave Bird/Roost

I Might give Gyro Ball to Typhlosion, because i have an Iron Ball and i think it helps.

Last edited:

spra92

haha. I appreciate the help. I had forgotten about some of those.

Your team is looking pretty stacked though, even though I'm not much for fire types. I'm really liking the Magmar. It's a shame you can't evolve it. I think the league will go pretty smoothly, though Lance is a pain in that game. I could never handle him as a kid. But then again I wasn't the most adept team builder. i think my Typhlosion ahd three fire attacks back then and my only other useful pokemon was Ho-oh. ha.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Well, as far as i see it, Flareon takes on Will, Shado would destroy them, but if not, i do have the specs. Koga will fall to Ho-oh's Extrasensory and Sacred Fire. Bruno will surely also die to Ho-oh's Extrasensory, safe for Onix who dies to Magmar's Low Kick or Typhlosion's Hidden Power. Karen will be slightly harder, i'll need to switch in more: Umbreon and Houndoom will be taken out by Typhlosion and Focus Blast, and Vileplume will fall to Flamethrower. Gengar will die to Flareon and Shadow Ball, or Ho-oh's Extrasensory. Murkrow will take Thunder Fang or Thunderpunch. Lance will be tricky, and i hope to take out Gyarados and possibly Aerodactyl with a single Thunder Fang (Luckily i have a Power herb to stop Intimidate), eveything else shoud suffer Entei's Stone Edge.

Well, as far as i see it, Flareon takes on Will, Shadow Ball would destroy them, but if not, i do have the specs. Koga will fall to Ho-oh's Extrasensory and Sacred Fire. Bruno will surely also die to Ho-oh's Extrasensory, safe for Onix who dies to Magmar's Low Kick or Typhlosion's Hidden Power. Karen will be slightly harder, i'll need to switch in more: Umbreon and Houndoom will be taken out by Typhlosion and Focus Blast, and Vileplume will fall to Flamethrower. Gengar will die to Flareon and Shadow Ball, or Ho-oh's Extrasensory. Murkrow will take Thunder Fang or Thunderpunch. Lance will be tricky, and i hope to take out Gyarados and possibly Aerodactyl with a single Thunder Fang (Luckily i have a Power herb to stop Intimidate), eveything else shoud suffer Entei's Stone Edge.

And good luck for your team. And try getting the right abilities, they can save the day, and possibly, the whole pokemon world, ending.
Staraptor can oly have Intimidate, so that's fine.

-Snorlax should need Immunity, so maybe catch a budew to get the right one.

-Bibarel could use Simple, but it does'nt matter if Bibarel has Unaware.

-Porygon-Z Needs Adaptability and porygon 2 needs Trace (So, not download).

-If you go for Ambipom, then it MUST have technician: Pickup is good, but technician is better.

-Girafiarig would need Inner Focus, no flinching is better than early awakening.

-Klutz is the most useless ability in the game, so cute charm is for Lopunny.

-Togekiss MUST have Serene Grace, so that Air Slash (And possibly Water Pulse) rocks the world.

-If you go for eevee, then it would also need adaptability, for offensive reasons.

-Blissey's Natural Cure makes it good, and Serene grace is just as good, in this case, do what you want.

-The Chances of getting confused are much higher than the chances of getting infatuated of losing accuracy, so Lickilicky and Chatot need Own Tempo and Tangled Feet.

Last edited:

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Wow, everyone's teams seem to be coming along pretty well.

Okay, much needed update! I now have six badges and need only to add Magneton (he's a little overleveled, since I traded him from Platinum so I'm waiting until the team is more balanced, to be fair) to my team, and I'm currently delving through Mount Coronet north toward Snowpoint.

My team:

Aleric (Lucario) Lvl 35 Jolly - Rock Smash/Bullet Punch/Swords Dance/Sky Uppercut
Illich (Bastiodon) Lvl 36 Impish - AncientPower/Swagger/Take Down/Iron Defense
Clawfeathr (Empoleon) Lvl 39 Careful - Return/Aqua Jet/Surf/Metal Claw
Jade (Bronzong) Lvl 38 Relaxed - Extrasensory/Grass Knot/Gyro Ball/Shadow Ball
Mrs Nesbit (Probopass) Lvl 38 - Calm - Strength/Rock Slide/Shock Wave/Thunder Wave

Teknophile the Magneton is waiting in the wings.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Your Lucario's good, but you maybe should think about replacing Rock Smash with Drain Punch: It's more powerful and gives back HP. Your Bastiodon, Bronzong and Empoleon are just fine. (Though I don't see much point in Iron Defense, Bastidon already has monstrously high defense. Try finding The Rock Slide or Stone Edge TM). Probopass is good, you should get rid of strength. Flash Cannon or Secret Power would be better.

I managed to beat Lance, had to use my Max revive on Entei, Stone edge's Critical hit really saved me!
Now everything is cooling down. Still got Kanto to go through, and so much more! Like evolving Magmar and beating Red!

@Spra92, i'm so interested about the whole Normal Monotype that i might do it too! I'm Going For Bibarel, Ambipom, Togekiss, Porygon-Z, Staraptor, and Gifafarig.

Last edited:

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Your Lucario's good, but you maybe should think about replacing Rock Smash with Drain Punch: It's more powerful and gives back HP. Your Bastiodon, Bronzong and Empoleon are just fine. (Though I don't see much point in Iron Defense, Bastidon already has monstrously high defense. Try finding The Rock Slide or Stone Edge TM). Probopass is good, you should get rid of strength. Flash Cannon or Secret Power would be better.

I managed to beat Lance, had to use my Max revive on Entei, Stone edge's Critical hit really saved me!
Now everything is cooling down. Still got Kanto to go through, and so much more! Like evolving Magmar and beating Red!

@Spra92, i'm so interested about the whole Normal Monotype that i might do it too! I'm Going For Bibarel, Ambipom, Togekiss, Porygon-Z, Staraptor, and Gifafarig.

Well, I'm not going for competitive edge at the moment. I just need enough to get me through the game, and at the moment it's too troublesome to keep switching out for an HM slave. What I usually do is delete all HMs and teach with TMs just before the Elite Four, when they'll be needed. Until then, I'm getting along with no difficulty with what I have.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
yeah, i suppose, anyway good luck!

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Thanks! I've added and evolved Magneton, and everyone's hovering around the early level 40s, and I'm heading up Mount Coronet for the final confrontation with Cyrus. I'll probably go nuts with TMs after I get through Victory Road.

spra92

My First Pokemon

So I began my challenge in SS as well. I picked Totodile as my starter and after getting my Pokedex, dropped it off at the PC in favor of two recent;y caught Normal types, Sentret and Hoothoot. I raised them up by level grinding against trainers and wild Pokemon. I completed the Sprout Tower as well. I then was ready to challenge Faulkner. My Pokemon were both level 13 at that point, but the battle proved to be difficult. Roost was especially aggravating as Faulkner continuously healed his birds. I managed to take them both down thanks to Hypnosis from my HootHoot.

Pokemon

HootHoot "Tock" lvl 14
Peck
Hypnosis
Tackle
Uproar

Furret "Spotter" lvl 15
Scratch
Fury Swipes
Quick Attack
Growl

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
I have hereby finished my Steel monotype challenge, severely underleveled, but strategy, luck and stubbornness saw me winning the day.

I had a set strategy against Spiritomb: wear it down with Probapass' Flash Cannon and deliver the finishing blow with Magnezone's Discharge. This was fine, then Gastrodon came out. Bronzong's Grass Knot was my best option, but Earthquake proved a problem. Then Lucario came out. A shot of Thunder Wave by Probopass allowed me to take it out. Then, my nightmare: Garchomp. I had nothing that stood up well against it, but it being careless with Giga Impact brought me victory with Empoleon's Avalanche. Then came Roserade, a simple matter for Bronzong's Psychic attack. Then when Milotic came out, it was helpless against Empoleon, so I let it absorb some attacks while I brought some key members of my team back up into fighting order. I wore it down with a Discharge from Magnezone, then a critical hit from Lucario's Close Combat brought it down.

My final team:
Clawfeather (Empoleon) Careful Level 48 Aqua Jet/Surf/Return/Avalanche
Jade (Bronzong) Relaxed Level 50 Psychic/Gyro Ball/Grass Knot/Shadow Ball
Illich (Bastiodon) Impish Level 48 Stone Edge/Swagger/Iron Tail/Take Down
Mrs Nesbit (Probopass) Calm Level47 Thunder Wave/Shock Wave/Rock Slide/Flash Cannon
Aleric (Lucario) Jolly Level 50 Close Combat/Bullet Punch/Dragon Pulse/Shadow Claw
Teknophile (Magnezone) Modest Level 53 Mirror Shot/Discharge/Magnet Rise/Lock-On

Epilogue: All will move on to either storage or my main to be EV trained. I'll leave Diamond alone as is for a while while I begin a Nuzlocke challenge in Heart Gold.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I just started a Bug monotype on my Platinum, but its more or less just a test to see what is the best regional bug. Just to have them all somewhat on the same footing, they've all been given Bug Bite, except for Spinarak, who has Poison Jab, and the power difference is proving its visibly more powerful. Currently leveling them to level 8, then heading towards Jubilife.

Metapod level 8
Ledyba level 8
Spinarak level 8
Silcoon level 8
Cascoon level 8
Kricketot level 8 (this poke is so much easier to train now that I don't solely rely on Bide)

Status
Not open for further replies.