• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Generation Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperMariofan64

<- Fabio Montorez
@D-World Yeah I know that. I just wanted a few pokemon to work with since I'm still early on in the game.

@AZX I'm pretty sure that it is allowed to train something that will turn into the type. I've seen other posts where people trained a prinplup doing a steel run.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I think I am going to take on the Fire Pokemon challenge, thanks to you Supermariofan64~! :]

However, I am not going to use Chimchar as my starter, because I don't want a starter Pokemon on my team this time around. I am going to catch a Growlithe off the bat (because I have FireRed to insert).

Okay! I'll update y'all on this later today. :] This challenge is exciting!

That won't work. You need the National Pokedex for the insertion method to work.

I have a question, can you catch a pokemon that WILL turn into the type we're using?

Ex. You go on a Flying Type run in X game and you get Charmander.
Ex. You go on a Steel Type run in X game and you get Piplup.

Is that allowed? If so, Im game! If not... Im game!

Yes.

I just beat Clair on my Normal Monotype for SoulSilver, so far so good. She was a challenge for Tauros, but after a few Sp. Def's and Thunderwave powering up Facade, I got my badge.

Clefable level 41
Wigglytuff level 40
Tauros level 41
Miltank level 40
Slaking level 40
Ambipom level 40

poke-lord

Just got pff the cycling road on Diamond

Monferno Lvl-27
Meditite Lvl-24
Machop Lvl-21

twiggilala

fairy trainer
I forgot about the National Dex. XD

Ah well, I went with a lovely little Ponyta first. :]

I sort of skipped most of the trainers with my Piplup (who I have now boxed for HM use later) and rushed ahead to Route 207 to get a Ponyta.

So, my first fire 'mon on my monotype journey: Ponyta!

Papaya the Ponyta
;077;
Modest nature
Capable of taking hits

Time to go backwards, train her up against the trainers I didn't fight! <3

PS: I'm going fruit salad style for naming my Pokemon. <3

Update:

I have added my second 'mon to my team: Apple the Flareon.

I spent a good portion of my game time yesterday underground searching for a Fire Stone, and I found it! Yay. After finding it I went to Bebe's to pick up an Eevee there, and I received a little girl with a timid nature, who is highly curious.

So my team now consists of...
;077; Papaya the Ponyta
;136; Apple the Flareon

Platinum has very few Fire 'mon from the get go, but meh, I am enjoying my fire run through. :]

Last edited:

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I just beat the Elite Four with this final team;

Clefable level 46
Wigglytuff level 45
Tauros level 47
Miltank level 46
Slaking level 47
Ambipom level 47

Clefable and Wigglytuff's Thunderwave, combined with Tauros' Intimidate, and flinching moves got me the win against a very tough Lance.

Corbulo

= Hydro Cannon
going to do a poison monotype in pearl as i dont tend to use poison pokemon and haven't seen anyone on this thread do one yet, the team will probably be along the lines of:
Crobat
Tentacruel
Roserade
Drapion
Toxicroak
Dustox

Dashing

I started a Steel monotype challenge in Diamond. It's going to be hard since they're not very common, but I think it'll work.

I started out with Piplup and trained him up until he evolved. At level 16, I beat Roark. Next, I want to beat Gardenia and then get a Bronzor. The other members of my team are going to be Lucario (once I get to Iron Island), Steelix (Iron Island too) and hopefully Magnezone and Skarmory.

I have, however no way to get those last two before the E4, so if anyone wants to trade a newly hatched Magnemite or Skarmory, I'd be very happy.
I know it's kind of breaking the rules, but since the Steel type is so rare, I figured it's not too bad.

Corbulo

= Hydro Cannon
Up-date time for my poison mono-type challenge in pearl:
2 badges
Flaps the Dustox ;269; lvl26
Thorn the Budew ;406; lvl27
Wings the Crobat ;169; lvl27

Dashing

Update for my Steel Monotype Challenge.

I beat Gardenia with my Prinplup alone. It was quite hard, but a X-Attack and a few Super Potions helped me defeat her. After that I battled Team Galactic, got a Bicycle and went down Cycling Road. There, I caught a Bronzor, which I called Bronze and then trained it up. I got a Magnemite in a trade and trained that one as wel. I got to Hearthome and then to Solaceon.

The next route is full of Fighting type Trainers, so I can train up my Bronze. I hope it'll evolve soon because its Special Attack is not that good. It's quite cute though and I love it =)
After that I'm going to level up my Prinplup until it evolves (and truly becomes a Steel type) and Magnemite, though not higher than level 30 because he will start to disobey me and I need him to defeat Wake.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I restarted my Platinum last night, named myself Steven, and talked to my rival Alex. Eventually picked Chimchar so Empoleon would be a challenge. Met with Rowan, he gave me a Pokedex and a few PokeBalls. Caught a few random wild pokemon. and traded over three pokemon from my SS Arceus Ruins Of Alph Event:

;483; Lv. 1
Dragonbreath/Scary Face
;484; Lv. 1
Dragonbreath/Scary Face
;487-o; Lv. 1
Dragonbreath/Scary Face

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Gunna start a Poison Monotype in Firered. Weeee!
As you'd expect, I'm starting with bulbasaur.

Pollen, Level 5
Tackle
Growl

This is the 4th Generation Monotype Challenge.

You want to go here

Last edited:

Corbulo

= Hydro Cannon
Up-date poison monotype on pearl:
i just got the 5th badge.
I dropped Dustox from my team and gained 2 new pokemon.
so now my team is looking like this:
Thorn the Roselia lvl38
Wings the Crobat lvl40
Toad the Toxicroak lvl39
Scraps the Skorupi lvl20

so now i am about to go get a Tentacool/Tentacruel.

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
I've finished my Rock Monotype ages ago, though i never posted it. ^^ Anyway, it was simple, but i'm going for the type with the least pokémon: Ghost. So far this is how i've planned it.

Giratina (the Arceus event one)
Gengar
Spiritomb
Mismagius
Rotom
Frosslass

Hopefully it's gonna be good (this is on SS)

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I've started a mono UBER Dragon team of sorts, and just beat Roark. I'm actually kinda bored of it already, because its so easy. I may even try a Nuzlocke challenge.

;483; Lv. 13
Dragonbreath/Metal Claw/Scary Face
;484; Lv. 11
Dragonbreath/Water Pulse/Scary Face
;487-o; Lv. 11
Dragonbreath/Ominous Wind/Scary Face

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
Maybe you should try using only one legendary.

Anyway, i've started my ghost monotype (yipee). I chose Tododile as my starter, and immediately caught my first Pokémon (Gastly). I then traded my Starter for my Arceus and recieved my second Pokémon, Giratina. I then did a bit of training here and there and got my Togepi Egg, who i traded for a Rotom. So my team so far is smoothly good.

;092; Lvl 14 (Hypnosis/Lick/Curse/Spite)
;487-o; Lvl 13 (Dragonbreath/Scary Face/Ominous Wind/Ancientpower)
;479; Lvl 14 (Thunder Wave/Thundershock/Confuse Ray/Uproar)

Dashing

Update time!

I beat Maylene with my Bronze. Iron Defense + a few X Specials and he just destroyed her team with Extrasensory. (He did evolve into a Bronzong, yay. He's my favourite now.) After that I trained up Napo but only got to level 35 so he didn't evolve yet. I went to beat Wake, which my Magnemite did. (Although Napo had to defeat his Quagsire). Magnemite evolved and I searched for a Heart Scale, taught him Tri Attack and then went to Mount Coronet to evolve him. A level later, Napo became an Empoleon.

My next objective is to get to Canalave, battle Byron and get Flash Cannon =)
On Iron Island I hope to get a Steelix and Riolu.

My Current team:

;462; Magnezone
;395; Napo
;437; Bronze

Last edited:

Corbulo

= Hydro Cannon
small up-date for my poison montype on pearl,
just level grinding a bit before i go for the 7th gym badge.
my team is looking now like this:
Thorn the Roserade lvl44
Wings the Crobat lvl43
Toad the Toxicroak lvl44
Scraps the Drapion lvl41
Wraps the Tentacruel lvl43

D-World

Robo-Cascoon's angry
-Got through Union Cave
-Got through Slowpoke Well
-Traded Over Snorunt and dawn stone
-Traded over Spiritomb
-Traded over Misdreavus and dusk stone
-Ghastly evolves
-Beat Bugsy
-Got through Ilex Forest
-Breeded Spiritomb, Snorunt, Misdreavus, Rotom and spent hours leveling them.
-beat Whitney and got the bike.

Team:
Haunter ;093;
Giratina ;487-o;
Misdreavus ;200;
Spiritomb ;442;
Rotom ;479;
Froslass ;478;

Status
Not open for further replies.