• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

4th Generation Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corbulo

= Hydro Cannon
Been a while since i up-dated my poison montype on pearl.
i am now attempting the Elite4 and now my team is looking now like this:

;407;Thorn the Roserade lvl55
- Giga Drain
- Toxic Spikes
- HP(Fighting)
- Shadow Ball

;169;Wings the Crobat lvl55
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- U-turn
- Cross Poison

;454;Toad the Toxicroak lvl55
- Faint Attack
- Brick Break
- Poison Jab
- Stone Edge

;452;Scraps the Drapion lvl55
- EQ
- Thunder Fang
- Ice Fang
- Crunch

;073;Wraps the Tentacruel lvl55
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Wring Out

Edit: just bet the E4 which was surprisingly easy and now to go get a Nidoran(m) and to evolve it in to Nidoking to complete my team. Time: 70:07, i did a lot of berry growing and i had to breed to get the right nature for Toad and Scraps

Last edited:

X~Power

I'm thinking of starting a challenge for either Bug, Flying, Ground, Water or Normal in HeartGold. I may start off with a Bug team of the following:

Heracross
Yanmega
Forretress
Venomoth
Parasect
Pinsir

#1TransendTrainer

PANDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
hmm,mayb i'll do Water on my HG & Flying on Diamond

X~Power

I've decided to go along with my aforementioned Bug Monotype challenge, except I'll drop Pinsir and Parasect and use Croconaw and Skarmory as HM Slaves instead.

alakazam_1

Alakazam used WIN
I'm doing a Steel monotype on Platinum.

I chose Piplup as my starter. I got through to Roark with few difficulties and, Piplup being my only Pokémon, I managed to evolve it in time for Roark. I think from memory it was actually L17.
I had to have a few attempts against Gardenia. I could have caught my Bronzor first, which would have helped so much, but I didn't realise it was available before Cycling Road, plus I originally planned to have Empoleon, Lucario, Magnezone and Scizor plus 2 HM slaves. I've now changed my mind and I will have Bronzong as well.
Anyway, against Gardenia, Prinplup was like L30, and I still had to use my X Attack and X Sp. Def. to win. I just managed a KO. I want to destroy Cherrim's Leech Seed though.
So now I'm training up Bronzor, ready for Cycling Road.

Prinplup L33
-Bubblebeam
-Brine
-Metal Claw
-Fury Swipes

Bronzor L14
-Confusion
-Imprison
-Hypnosis
-Confuse Ray

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I started a Ice Ghost type challenge, and have just beaten Roark. Gonna go to Gardenia later tonight.

Lapras Lv12
Smoochum Lv10
Glaceon Lv11
Shuppet Lv10
Duskull Lv10
Spiritomb Lv10

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
My Ice/Ghost monotype Platinum file is going well, no major bumps yet. I've got 6 badges now, and going to Snowpoint City soon.

Jynx level 40
Glaceon level 40
Lapras level 40
Banette level 40
Dusknoir level 40
Spiritomb level 40

Gardenia: Glaceon + Icy Wind = death
Fantina: Spiritomb + Ominous Wind = death
Maylene: Duskull/Shuppet + WOW = death
Wake: Jynx + Nasty Plot + X Speed = death
Byron: Dusknoir + Fire Punch + WOW = death

Armando Payne

Scrap that, I instead realized that I'm already doing a grass type monotype challenge on Pearl. So, I'm gonna stick with that.

Last edited:

Evil Quagsire

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny
I've never done a Monotype Challenge in 4th Generation before, so I decided to do Water-type on my Platinum.

So far:
Bonaparte the Piplup - Lv. 9
Jefferson the Bidoof - Lv. 7

Just arrived in Jubilife.

Unfortunately it'll just be these two for a while, until I pick up a Psyduck. After that, Buizel and Shellos are possibilities.

PokemonOwn

I'll pick a Steel Run. Youtube, here I go! I can trade with DPHGSS.

Planned Team:

Piplup
Bronzor
Onix
Nosepass
Riolu
HM Slave

Last edited:

Evil Quagsire

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny
Got significantly further. Haven't had significant problems yet, but Gardenia will probably be agonizingly tough. I'm in Floaroma now, having got my first badge. My team:
Catherine the Psyduck - Lv. 15
Bonaparte the Piplup - Lv. 15
Ferdinand the Shellos - Lv. 10
Jefferson the Bibarel - Lv. 15

Lucked into finding a Shiny Shellos. Holy crap I have never before encountered a shiny in any 4th generation game. Unfortunately, it had lousy stats compared to Ferdinand.
Haven't seen a Buizel yet, gonna get on that ASAP.

Evil Quagsire

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny
Ohhhhh, yes, Eterna Forest is the best training ground. Apart from Wayward Cave and Iron Island, of course. Let's backtrack a little. Got a Buizel around the Windworks, and tried to take down Mars with the newly evolved Bonaparte the Prinplup, but Bonaparte had NOTHING that could hit Purugly for much damage, so he was KO'd. But Jefferson came through with Rock Smash, finally showing me that stupid beaver had some redeeming value. Which it continued to prove along the way to Eterna.

Catherine the Psyduck - Lv. 18 (Confusion/Water Gun/Scratch/Tail Whip)
Astor the Buizel - Lv. 20 (Swift/Quick Attack/Pursuit/Water Gun)
Jefferson the Bibarel - Lv. 18 (Headbutt/Rollout/Water Gun/Rock Smash)
Bonaparte the Prinplup - Lv. 20 (Pound/Metal Claw/Bubblebeam/Pluck)
Ferdinand the Shellos - Lv. 16 (Mud Bomb/Mud Sport/Hidden Power/Water Pulse)

Biggest priorities are picking up Remoraid and Wooper as soon as possible. I'll probably ditch Shellos, although Gastrodon is really good, because Quagsire is one of my all-time favorites. As is Octillery, so obviously they must be on the crew. Frankly, Bonaparte isn't performing up to expectation, but I don't have anything to fill the void that would be left by his absence at the moment. Catherine and Astor are probably with me until the end, and Jefferson will continue to get play as an HM Slave/heal staller long after his battle use is over.

Zenosparadox

Happiny<3
Im just restarting my HG from a failed Nuzlocke challenge. So I decided to do a bug type monotype challenge. YAY! So anyways, I will post updates here about everyday as long as I did something. ^.^ Until tommerow, good bye!

Zenosparadox

Happiny<3
Changed the bug type to a grass type. I started my game and traded my pokemon for a tropius, a lotad, and a Shroomish. Beat the first gym, evoled my lotad, and cought a bellsprout. Im now in Slowpoke well.

Evil Quagsire

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny
Okay, so Gardenia proved agonizingly tough. I was forced to power-level Astor the Buizel and Bonaparte the Prinplup, AND semi-cheat. What I did was catch a Bronzor and use it as a heal wall, allowing me to Super Potion Bonaparte while Roserade hammered away at Bronzor. I knocked out Turtwig with one Pluck, switched to Buizel and Swift'd Cherrim to death, then put up Bronzor and healed Bonaparte. After Bronzor fainted, two Plucks was all it took, as with the leveling, the Prinplup survived a Grass Knot. I dodged most trainers, thinking ahead to when I'd need them to level up future captures, and got to Hearthome, where I set down the game for a few days.

Bonaparte the Prinplup - Lv. 28 - Cut/Metal Claw/Bubblebeam/Pluck
Doing pretty well, but needs a stronger water move badly.
Astor the Floatzel - Lv. 26 - Swift/Aqua Jet/Water Gun/Crunch
Godly. Will probably solo Fantina with Crunch.
Catherine the Psyduck - Lv. 23 - Confusion/Scratch/Tail Whip/Water Pulse
Disappointing, but I have faith she'll get better
Jefferson the Bibarel - Lv. 21 - Headbutt/Rollout/Water Gun/Rock Smash
Needs a better water move, but doesn't have access to any yet. :(
Ferdinand the Shellos - Lv. 16 - Mud Bomb/Mud Sport/Hidden Power/Water Pulse
dumping for Wooper ASAP. Its attacks hit with the force of a quadriplegic baby.

Zenosparadox

Happiny<3
Traded in the gasme the stones I needed to evolve mmy pokemon. So now I have a ludicolo and a new bellosum.Im right now looking for a sunkern before challenging whitny

Ajax the tropiuslv 21-Solo'd bugsy

Sanchez the ludicoloLv18-Amazing

Pothead the Shroomshlv16-Meh. I need to evolve it

Chris the bellsproutlv17- Its attack is so high. I taught it swords dance with adament nature

Danielle the bellosum lv21-Havent really used it yet outside of oddish.

Bad Dreams

If I were to do a mono fighting run, is it okay if I start with Chimchar? This sounds like a fun challenge to take part in. The only rule I don't like is not being able to use more than one of the same TM. Raising Meditite is hell without brick break. Machop more than likely benefits from BB too. I would have liked to breed close combat onto Machop as well. The rule about TM's doesn't seem to add any sort of challenge and serves as an annoyance instead.

This could be a fun way to use Pokemon I haven't used before (like Toxicroak).

Last edited:

Avion

The Anomaly
This sounds like quite a bit of fun so I think I'll try my luck at an electric run in Platinum. I'll start later tonight after i trade over my pokemon to diamond, and will post all updates here
Hopefully I will be able to finish before black and white come out.

What do you know, I started a monotype grass run of Platinum yesterday for the lulz. Team so far is Grotle and Budew.

Pokémon Trainer Xande

Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist
Will do a monotype dragon challenge to defeat the battle frontier on platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.