• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

50 episodes mark, which series was the best?

Which was the best series after around 50 episodes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DankOverlord

Komodo Dragons Rule!
I think people are confusing the latter half of XY or XY&Z, because the first 50 episodes of XY weren't that good.

At least they had better group chemistry and character development before we went into the staleness of the later episodes

DatsRight

At least they had better group chemistry and character development before we went into the staleness of the later episodes

It was basically a case of 'more generic stories but with better characterisation and dynamic' or 'more developed arc stories but with blander characters and dynamic'. Execution is as much a play into these things.

Also the later points still shoved in earlier cliches nearly every episode like Team Rocket interruptions and Clemont and Serena's running gags, just earlier on they hadn't gotten stale yet and were given more variation due to getting actual plot focus (eg. Team Rocket actually being a challenge through the bulk of some early episodes, often with Clemont's tech smarts helping stop them, while later on both were just gags that wasted screen time or even interrupted plots).

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I love XY, but Serena didn't do enough during the first part. AG/DP/BW are all out of the question for varying reasons, those reasons being Max, Paul, and the competency reset. OS (OI and Johto) are out because although that's what I first watched regularly, i don't remember it clearly enough to judge. That puts it between OS (Kanto) and SM. OS (Kanto) has the really out there and memorable episodes (School of Hard Knocks, Ghost of Maiden's Peak, the shipwreck two-parter with subtitles, Sabrina arc, the Jynx episode that got banned later, Go West, Young Meowth, etc.) and it was over 60% done at the 50 episode mark. SM has more of an overarching plot and some of the comedy is too exaggerated (though that's a matter of taste) and I hate that one scene in SM006. However, Ash is far more competent than he was at the beginning. I also feel it's too early to call SM the best series at 50 episodes since it's still fresh while Kanto still hasn't dimmed in my mind after over a decade. So, I'll give it to OS, but I mean Kanto alone, I lump OI with Johto.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
OS/DP would win for me. OS for the pacing, we were pretty much through most of the gyms, the characters were developing well. Ash had obtained some fairly decent pokemon with good personalities.

DP takes the win though, I adore the first season of DP, those first 50 were gold! Ash and Dawn were a good way into their quests, Dawn's development arc started where her first struggles in contests were beginning. Ash, Brock and Dawn had some great pokemon. I loved the interactions of the pokemon, Pikachu, Aipom, Staravia, Turtwig, Piplup, Buneary, Pachirisu, Buizel, Sudowoodo, Croagunk and Happiny were a good cast. They were getting good treatment in terms of the trainers pokemon. Plus Cacnea had a good release.
And the rivals were developing nicely, both Paul and Zoey, plus we'd been introduced to some other rivals, Nando and Kenny for example.
And we were just about to begin the Hearthome Tag Battle too.
The pacing was great.

I don't understand why XY is so high up......especially the first part of the series was pretty lackluster, Serena had not long captured his second pokemon. Had she even competed in her first showcase? Had anything notable happened other than captures?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
OS/DP would win for me. OS for the pacing, we were pretty much through most of the gyms, the characters were developing well. Ash had obtained some fairly decent pokemon with good personalities.

DP takes the win though, I adore the first season of DP, those first 50 were gold! Ash and Dawn were a good way into their quests, Dawn's development arc started where her first struggles in contests were beginning. Ash, Brock and Dawn had some great pokemon. I loved the interactions of the pokemon, Pikachu, Aipom, Staravia, Turtwig, Piplup, Buneary, Pachirisu, Buizel, Sudowoodo, Croagunk and Happiny were a good cast. They were getting good treatment in terms of the trainers pokemon. Plus Cacnea had a good release.
And the rivals were developing nicely, both Paul and Zoey, plus we'd been introduced to some other rivals, Nando and Kenny for example.
And we were just about to begin the Hearthome Tag Battle too.
The pacing was great.

I don't understand why XY is so high up......especially the first part of the series was pretty lackluster, Serena had not long captured his second pokemon. Had she even competed in her first showcase? Had anything notable happened other than captures?

Multiple gym battles had happened, but her first Showcase was ep 60, and the episode where she raced her mother was 53. The Summer Camp also happened in the first 50. XY is probably high up because people jumble all of XY together in their heads. Also, the shippers (well, the Amour group, who are probably largest atm) vote for it simply due to the first 7 episodes, specifically episodes 6 & 7.

SONW

You know the reason, seriously!

-amourshipping
-beautiful animation

the only two reasons.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Multiple gym battles had happened, but her first Showcase was ep 60, and the episode where she raced her mother was 53. The Summer Camp also happened in the first 50. XY is probably high up because people jumble all of XY together in their heads. Also, the shippers (well, the Amour group, who are probably largest atm) vote for it simply due to the first 7 episodes, specifically episodes 6 & 7.

While I voted for Kanto, XY S1 is underrated (it’s honestly better than DP S1 IMHO). Out of the first 50 episodes I really enjoyed 34 of them, and only have 6 episodes that I notably dislike. Many people rate XY S1 lower because it doesn’t conform to certain structures that long term audiences would be used to.

EDIT:Also while DP did technically have a low filler ratio, DP by a landslide, and I cannot stress this enough, was the king of padding!!

OS. A lot of big events seemed to have happened within 50 eps

Then I'd put XY, then DP followed by AG > OS Johto >>> BW

Fully agreed.

Last edited:

XY Rules

Pokemon Master
Honestly that's a pretty tough quezstion...As someone else said all of the sagas start off pretty slowly. But I'll just go with:

DP>XY=AG>Johto>>>>>>>>>>Kantol>BW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SM.

DP at least set up a lot of it's plot points early on, with Paul, Dawn's character arc, and Team Galactic. XY and AG both had some pretty cool fights, Johto had Ash taking his first steps towards using actual strategy, Kanto was meh, but it was the first season so the writing wasn't as good back then, BW at least had the only Team Rocket was actually handled well going for it, whereas SM has done lliterallly nothing of note so far so it's dead last.

Genaller

Silver Soul
Honestly that's a pretty tough quezstion...As someone else said all of the sagas start off pretty slowly. But I'll just go with:

DP>XY=AG>Johto>>>>>>>>>>Kantol>BW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SM.

DP at least set up a lot of it's plot points early on, with Paul, Dawn's character arc, and Team Galactic. XY and AG both had some pretty cool fights, Johto had Ash taking his first steps towards using actual strategy, Kanto was meh, but it was the first season so the writing wasn't as good back then, BW at least had the only Team Rocket was actually handled well going for it, whereas SM has done lliterallly nothing of note so far so it's dead last.

Correct me but wasn’t the only TG appearance in DP S1 in 1 episode where they were the people that hired TRio to steel the Adamant Orb? Battle Dimension (which was an awesome season) was when TG were properly introduced and their plot got rolling full throttle.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Correct me but wasn’t the only TG appearance in DP S1 in 1 episode where they were the people that hired TRio to steel the Adamant Orb? Battle Dimension (which was an awesome season) was when TG were properly introduced and their plot got rolling full throttle.

Yeah you're right. They appeared in a short cameo towards the end in a secret sphere of influence (DP036), telling TRio to steal the Orb. They finally appeared in full in Journey to the Unknown (DP060). It wasn't until Enter Galactic (DP069) that Ash and co encountered them for the first time.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia

What? Sun and Moon have brought two iconic characters we haven't seen a very long time and gave them amazing battles, Dealt with real life stuff such as PTSD, Ash has battled two Khuanas, got a rare version of a Pokémon that almost nobody has, introduced Aether and Nebby, developed Lana and gave her a Z crystal and the list goes on. Arguably SM has done more than any other series and it's not even on its 50th episode. Some characters like Mallow and Soph are a bit in the back but Lillie Lana Gladion and Ash are developed really well for a beginning series

Last edited:

SONW

What? Sun and Moon have brought two iconic characters we haven't seen a very long time and gave them amazing battles, Dealt with real life stuff such as PTSD, Ash has battled two Khuanas, got a rare version of a Pokémon that almost nobody has, introduced Aether and Nebby, developed Lana and gave her a Z crystal and the list goes on. Arguably SM has done more than any other series and it's not even on its 50th episode. Some characters like Mallow and Soph are a bit in the back but Lillie Lana Gladion and Ash are developed really well for a beginning series

For them.
because SM is bad:
-design of ash
-Mood
not to travel in search of insignias as all other serie
-without serena

because XY is good:

-serena
-Beautiful animation

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
For them.
because SM is bad:
-design of ash
-Mood
not to travel in search of insignias as all other serie
-without serena

because XY is good:

-serena
-Beautiful animation

I like how you conveniently ignore that user who rated SM dead last actually ranked DP first, over XY. And he even ranked XY second only because of good battles, and nothing to do with Serena. Seriously, it's not always XY fans who only dislike SM, since there are plenty of people who actually dislike XY, and are also iffy about SM.

SONW

I like how you conveniently ignore that user who rated SM dead last actually ranked DP first, over XY. And he even ranked XY second only because of good battles, and nothing to do with Serena. Seriously, it's not always XY fans who only dislike SM, since there are plenty of people who actually dislike XY, and are also iffy about SM.

The point is that the XY battles fit into the "beautiful animation" factor.

And you can not deny that the vast majority of SM haters are XY lovers.

SONW

Please avoid double posting!!

There are majority of people who love both the series and there are many who dislike both. And what does this timeline of events decide?

Double posting?

It just helps to remember what happened. Instead of staying in pure nostalgia.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Double posting?

It just helps to remember what happened. Instead of staying in pure nostalgia.

Lol what? How does a timeline remove nostalgia? If anything, it makes you more nostalgic as it makes you remember all the past details, such as remembering Ash getting Pikachu, Charmander, etc.

And secondly, your beef seems to be with XY, so nostalgia doesn't apply there when it comes to people preferring that series over SM. Infact, nostalgia isn't the reason at all for those people who do dislike SM currently. I have no idea what you're trying to get at here.

Status
Not open for further replies.