• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

50 episodes mark, which series was the best?

Which was the best series after around 50 episodes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SONW

Lol what? How does a timeline remove nostalgia? If anything, it makes you more nostalgic as it makes you remember all the past details, such as remembering Ash getting Pikachu, Charmander, etc.

And secondly, your beef seems to be with XY, so nostalgia doesn't apply there when it comes to people preferring that series over SM. Infact, nostalgia isn't the reason at all for those people who do dislike SM currently. I have no idea what you're trying to get at here.

Do you remember everything that happened in the first 50 episodes of the previous series? including xy?
This is my point.

Anyone here actually compared the series in the first 50 episodes?

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Lol what? How does a timeline remove nostalgia? If anything, it makes you more nostalgic as it makes you remember all the past details, such as remembering Ash getting Pikachu, Charmander, etc.

And secondly, your beef seems to be with XY, so nostalgia doesn't apply there when it comes to people preferring that series over SM. Infact, nostalgia isn't the reason at all for those people who do dislike SM currently. I have no idea what you're trying to get at here.

Nostalgia applies to anything in the past

Genaller

Silver Soul
Nostalgia applies to anything in the past

Yeah nostalgia would formally apply to a statement like “I wish SM Ash looked more like his XY or DP self” though I doubt SONW was using that word formally in the first place. Also what Akkipeddi actually meant was that XY didn’t evoke much nostalgia since as you know it had minimal continuity (this forum loves berating XY for that) unlike DP or even SM recently that were rife with continuity and hence able to evoke much more nostalgia.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
The big problem I personally have with SM are the very lack of battles and the pacing. We're already done with half of Alola and we only got about three major battles. And since there's no other person with an active on screen goal, it even lacks some conflicts while Lillie is probably the only person providing something like that. It would've been not much of a problem if we're only by the third trial by now but we're done with for out of probably eight trials and two of four grand trials. So left are two islands while one is pretty much reserved for AF climax.

Rajas

Skimming the arguments above, saying that XY 'lovers' are the majority of the SM haters would make sense wouldn't it? The current season will always be compared to the preceding one similar to why BW is in between DP and XY and why people tend to scrutinize it so much. Now I am someone who actually liked each season because it's Pokemon and the niggles here and there I eventually get over (even BW lmao). SM is a big change for a lot of people though and it must be taken into account that some people don't like drastic change when it comes to things like tv shows/movies. The sense of familiarity is something most people hold dear to them so it's understandable why they'd not be too accepting to things like new art style. It also shows in the people who are upset Misty and Brock aren't main characters in the M20 even if it's alternate timeline.

That being said, some of their problems are acceptable because SM is taking on a whole new approach to what we were used to, the journey and adventure aspect has been severely restricted to the usual free flowing Ash we were used to which would take time to get used to but there is solace in knowing that I believe that will change with Lillie's outfit change etc.

Also relating to this thread title now, these last 10 episodes of SM has propelled it up highly to me especially this mini arc, I will definitely have it up there will XY as my fave first 50.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Skimming the arguments above, saying that XY 'lovers' are the majority of the SM haters would make sense wouldn't it? The current season will always be compared to the preceding one similar to why BW is in between DP and XY and why people tend to scrutinize it so much. Now I am someone who actually liked each season because it's Pokemon and the niggles here and there I eventually get over (even BW lmao). SM is a big change for a lot of people though and it must be taken into account that some people don't like drastic change when it comes to things like tv shows/movies. The sense of familiarity is something most people hold dear to them so it's understandable why they'd not be too accepting to things like new art style. It also shows in the people who are upset Misty and Brock aren't main characters in the M20 even if it's alternate timeline.

That being said, some of their problems are acceptable because SM is taking on a whole new approach to what we were used to, the journey and adventure aspect has been severely restricted to the usual free flowing Ash we were used to which would take time to get used to but there is solace in knowing that I believe that will change with Lillie's outfit change etc.

Also relating to this thread title now, these last 10 episodes of SM has propelled it up highly to me especially this mini arc, I will definitely have it up there will XY as my fave first 50.

So people wanted the show to stay vanilla? It's okay to dislike SM because you're afraid of change but it's stupid it to accuse SM of not having anything major in its first couple of episodes like some others have implied here.

Yeah nostalgia would formally apply to a statement like “I wish SM Ash looked more like his XY or DP self” though I doubt SONW was using that word formally in the first place. Also what Akkipeddi actually meant was that XY didn’t evoke much nostalgia since as you know it had minimal continuity (this forum loves berating XY for that) unlike DP or even SM recently that were rife with continuity and hence able to evoke much more nostalgia.

Nobody is saying people prefer XY over SM because it had nostalgia, that poster is implying you like XY DUE to nostalgia.

Last edited:

Rajas

So people wanted the show to stay vanilla? It's okay to dislike SM because you're afraid of change but it's stupid it to accuse SM of not having anything major in its first couple of episodes like some others have implied here.

This is also if you consider previous seasons Vanilla, which it was not to a lot of people in that was far from boring/bland etc. In relation to to SM not having anything major in the first couple episodes, what exactly do you mean? Plot wise? My whole explanation was just in reference to those who cannot get used to the changes that were drastic this season, whether it be art style or the whole concept of a journey.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
This is also if you consider previous seasons Vanilla, which it was not to a lot of people in that was far from boring/bland etc. In relation to to SM not having anything major in the first couple episodes, what exactly do you mean? Plot wise? My whole explanation was just in reference to those who cannot get used to the changes that were drastic this season, whether it be art style or the whole concept of a journey.
The show itself wasn't/isn't vanilla but by the time XY rolled around we've already got about close to 2 decades of traveling the region with 3/4 characters as Ash challenges gyms and eventually defeats the regional villains. It got vanilla and while I'm not exactly siked about the school setting, I can appreciate them trying something new. In relation to SM I wasn't directly talking about you hahaha, but I mean the people who insist nothing plot wise has happen since SM started just because they don't like it.

Saying anything about XY as "underrated" is hilarious. It's probably passed DP-levels of overratedness.

Basically.

Last edited:

Rajas

The show itself wasn't/isn't vanilla but by the time XY rolled around we've already got about close to 2 decades of traveling the region with 3/4 characters as Ash challenges gyms and eventually defeats the regional villains. It got vanilla and while I'm not exactly siked about the school setting, I can appreciate them trying something new. In relation to SM I wasn't directly talking about you hahaha, but I mean the people who insist nothing plot wise has happen since SM started just because they don't like it.

Oh I get what you mean now, well yeah doing something new isn't bad but I guess some people don't really like the school aspect of it. Maybe doesn't feel like an adventure enough. I also appreciate what they are trying albeit there are downsides at times for me anyways, doesn't stop me from truly enjoying SM mostly though.
In the case of the whole plot thing, it basically began at episode 1, same as it always does imo. Just because certain aspects that may lead to the main plot take time to happen, everything else is also important imo to address some character or at least the theme of the series itself. Don't really get that excuse by anyone :/

Genaller

Silver Soul
Saying anything about XY as "underrated" is hilarious. It's probably passed DP-levels of overratedness.

I’ve said this before though; yes there is a significant portion of the fandom that overrates XY but there’s also a significant portion of the fandom that underrates XY hence in a net sense it actually isn’t all that overrated unlike DP where there is also a significant portion of the fandom that overrates it, but to the best of my knowledge there isn’t a significant portion of the fandom that underrates it. I recently rewatched both (for the purpose of compiling Ash’s battle record), and I straight up found the first season of XY to be superior to the first season of DP. Matter of fact I think the reason I initially didn’t rate the first season that high in the favorite saga thread was because of the negative influence from comments about XY on this very forum, so from my point of view XY S1 is more underrated than overrated. There were 34 good to great episodes, 6 bad to horrible episodes and 10 subpar to decent episodes when I made a mental note of how much I liked each episode in XY S1.

dp045

Considering the scoop of the first 50 episodes, the one that was "best" (between big quotes) was XY. Anyway, the same bad season.
XY> DP >> OS> AG >>> SM

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Oh I get what you mean now, well yeah doing something new isn't bad but I guess some people don't really like the school aspect of it. Maybe doesn't feel like an adventure enough. I also appreciate what they are trying albeit there are downsides at times for me anyways, doesn't stop me from truly enjoying SM mostly though.
In the case of the whole plot thing, it basically began at episode 1, same as it always does imo. Just because certain aspects that may lead to the main plot take time to happen, everything else is also important imo to address some character or at least the theme of the series itself. Don't really get that excuse by anyone :/
Exactly, it's just silly to think just because they're not travelling, progression isn't occurring.

DatsRight

If anything I feel like taking out a lot of stipulations like the travelling and COTD/TR formula takes away a lot of distractions and short cuts from before and forces them to look more at the actual protagonists and how to make them likeable. Sure their goal progression isn't much better, if not worse, but the personalities I feel are driving the series more than ever before besides maybe the OS.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
SM is top for me. OS was fine but to me it just hadn't really found its focus yet in the battling, which really puts it back. Especially most of the gym leaders being completely incompetent yet still having to give Ash pity badges really didn't help much. In characters it was great though. AG just didn't really have much for me to stand out. DP was fine but I was getting very sick of Brock by that point, whose story really didn't seem to go anywhere and his gag of always flirting with girls was really getting annoying, it's again the same creepiness over and over again. XY had great gym battles but I just couldn't really get into the characters that much and I don't care much for Serena. And in BW I really got sick of Cilan very quickly, he just seemed very bland and boring as a character, not really having much life or character, and his food pun dialogue was more cringeworthy than anything.

SM just has great writing for me, the characters bounce off well with each other and can carry a story. A lot of the development feels natural and I love the development they're doing for characters like Lillie. I also love how much comedy they have without making it repetitive, there's always a creative twist there instead of just repeating a joke episode after episode in the same fashion. Bewear always takes Team Rocket away in a different way, Nebby's teleporting is used in various different ways, Rowlet is a doofus in different ways, and so on. And the animation is just so good now, it's so fluid and smooth, and there are so many subtle things in the background that they pay attention to. Most of the pokémon being out of the balls a lot of the time really adds to the atmosphere.

Last edited:

SONW

I also love how much comedy they have without making it repetitive, there's always a creative twist there instead of just repeating a joke episode after episode in the same fashion. Bewear always takes Team Rocket away in a different way, Nebby's teleporting is used in various different ways, Rowlet is a doofus in different ways, and so on. And the animation is just so good now, it's so fluid and smooth, and there are so many subtle things in the background that they pay attention to. Most of the pokémon being out of the balls a lot of the time really adds to the atmosphere.

exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!

Observer

Mostly watching
well for me I'm going to say XY(Z) I just enjoyed it a bit more.

I'll give credit to DP as second and third goes to BW.

Status
Not open for further replies.