• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Breeding/Egg Moves FAQ & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
IIRC, Slugma/Magcargo from Pokémon XD had it, just like Razor Wind Scyther.
I looked, and yes, you would be correct on that. Transferring from the GCN to the GBA to the DS and then transferring to the B/W games would seem like such a feat, but you can do that. Keep in mind, though, that in some of my list of how to get fifth gen Pokemon to learn obsolete TM egg moves, you can get a Pokemon that already knew the move to breed. For example, if you caught a Male Snorunt in XD, then it would already have Water Pulse and you can trasnsfer it to breed with any Pokemon in the "Ice Cream" family. I still counted it thought.

Speaking of counting stuff, I may add Pokemon in the Ground breeding group to my list that I mentioned, even though they can learn the moves by trans-Smeargleing. I may look at that.

wolfylink

please!! anyone help about the natures of pokemon becuse its in japaness X_X i dont understand anything .

Rakurai

please!! anyone help about the natures of pokemon becuse its in japaness X_X i dont understand anything .

The page about natures on the main Serebii website has a Japanese to English translation for all of them,

Katharina27

Eeveelution Breeder
I've heard that some of the breeding mechanics around the Everstone have changed. On Gamefaqs, people have said that the Nature transfer works when breeding foreign Pokemon, now. Does the Masuda Method still work?

LV100

Retired Master
Has breeding been improved or even altered in any way? All I've noticed is that the everstone seemed to have a higher success rate when passing natures, which could just be dumb luck.

Rakurai

Has breeding been improved or even altered in any way? All I've noticed is that the everstone seemed to have a higher success rate when passing natures, which could just be dumb luck.

Supposedly, it's no longer possible to save before taking the egg in order to make sure you get a Pokemon with the right nature, gender, and ability, which is going to make getting that perfect Pokemon a bigger pain then it ever was before.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Supposedly, it's no longer possible to save before taking the egg in order to make sure you get a Pokemon with the right nature, gender, and ability, which is going to make getting that perfect Pokemon a bigger pain then it ever was before.

Huh. So then the Nature, gender, and ability of the Pokemon in the egg are determined the moment the egg is created in the game, rather than the moment you pick it up from the Day Care man in Black and White? That's such a shame. Game Freak's people really have been meddling with things they shouldn't have been meddling with. Getting certain stuff passed down from parent to offspring looks to be a bit tricky now.

... I have been doing it the wrong way in HG/SS all this time! xD I never realized that you could restart from picking up the egg to get a different one, so I've always been doing it the "hard way". :p I had a box and a half of Aerodactyls at one point. :(

Rakurai

Perhaps I should've worded it differently.

Before, when an egg was created, the nature, gender, and ability were fixed, but not the IVs, so you could save before taking the egg, check if it had the right traits other then IVs after it hatched, and if it did, then just keep soft resetting so the only random factor you had to deal with was the IVs.

Now, if that indeed isn't possible, it means you have to hope that all of those things end up the right way each time you take the egg, and with the addition of passing down Dream World abilities getting added into the mix, getting that perfect Pokemon is going to be more time consuming then ever.

Last edited:

LV100

Retired Master
So breeding actually got worse then? T_T

"____ you legit breeders, go buy an AR."

Last edited:

Some_Chick

Manectric Breeder
On the bright side, when doing the "pacing path" the old man will yell at you when an egg is produced and you run by him (making your character face him). Very nice! It was always a pain looking for what direction the old man was facing in D/P/Pt or getting spammed with phone calls in HG/SS.

i have 2 different language pokemon in the daycare currently. i'm going to find some Everstones next and see if Everstone natures works with different language pokemon now.

LV100

Retired Master
Does anyone know of a good method for checking IVs? There doesn't seem to be a way to set your Pokemon to Lv100 anymore.

Katharina27

Eeveelution Breeder
The best thing you can do is check your Pokemons, nature, characteristic and hidden power. Check with the IV dude for a good measure of your pokemons potential and any perfect stats. Save, then write down your pokemons stats from lv. 1 to lv. 10 and use Metal Kids calculator.

It's evil and fairly inaccurate, but it's your best alternative.

Rakurai

Oh, how I dread breeding for good Pokemon, now that I've personally tested it, and determined that everything I mentioned before is true.

Though on the bright side, it only takes about 30 seconds of running for me to hatch a starter with a combination of Flame Body and the High Link power-up.

Last edited:

LV100

Retired Master
The best thing you can do is check your Pokemons, nature, characteristic and hidden power. Check with the IV dude for a good measure of your pokemons potential and any perfect stats. Save, then write down your pokemons stats from lv. 1 to lv. 10 and use Metal Kids calculator.

It's evil and fairly inaccurate, but it's your best alternative.

Wow.

Where's the IV dude, and is he going to be pretty easy to understand considering I don't speak a word of Japanese? Or is there a translation?

I guess the only way to get a perfect reading is to abuse Pick Up until you get 99 rare candies. ._. 39 down...

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
question, if I do mass breeding between certain pokes taking move tutors and egg moves that are only obtionable on certain pokemon cross gen (third and fourth) could those moves be passed on to a dream world baby in the 5th gen? I also want to know if this works with 4th gen tms.
(damn, seems like there is gonna be alot of trading and mechanics being used throught all 3rd 4th and 5th gen games plus the orre games)
wat happened to the competitve section? why is the 5rmt just there?

Last edited:

O Fortuna

Velut luna.
question, if I do mass breeding between certain pokes taking move tutors and egg moves that are only obtionable on certain pokemon cross gen (third and fourth) could those moves be passed on to a dream world baby in the 5th gen?

It would only work if the previous gen TM move was an egg move for the Pokemon in Gen V.

So, for example, Torterra learns Stealth Rock in Gen IV via TM, but is not possible for it to learn it via TM or breeding or level up in Gen V. So, it is not possible to have a Shell Armor Torterra with Stealth Rock.

Royalty

If the Crown Fits...
So...question for the room.

I love and want Tsutarja like crazy. No other way to word it. It's my favorite starter. The only problem...the attacks that it has available to learn. Is there anyone in here that thinks it would be wise to SR for a female and bread it with something that has a useful egg move it could pass on?

It's a lot of time and effort...I just don't know if it would lead to an effort payoff or a time bankruptcy.

FireEmblemAddict

運命なんか死人の言い訳だ
So...question for the room.

I love and want Tsutarja like crazy. No other way to word it. It's my favorite starter. The only problem...the attacks that it has available to learn. Is there anyone in here that thinks it would be wise to SR for a female and bread it with something that has a useful egg move it could pass on?

It's a lot of time and effort...I just don't know if it would lead to an effort payoff or a time bankruptcy.

I would recommend playing through the game force and then breeding for your ideal Pokemon. However if that seems like a waste to you, breed for your ideal Pokemon as soon as you get to Route 3.

Really it's up to you and your play style.

Status
Not open for further replies.