• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Breeding/Egg Moves FAQ & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameMaster0000

Chaos Nightmare
I bread most of pokemon in HGSS many time(It is my first pokemon game)

I can comfirm that it will 100% passed down if "1" of parent hole power item.

But if both parent held power item it will be 50% for each parent.

I first bread gligar that has DW ability, finally I get good IV with DW ability.

But I notice that when I bread famale Gligar with Ditto no child that has DW ability while parent is same gligar I get about 50% of child that has DW ability.

So, I just bad luck or it not work with ditto?

Last edited:

Rakurai

It doesn't work with Ditto.

GameMaster0000

Chaos Nightmare
Hmm...well.

There is another one that I want test, that is different specie but same egg group or evolved and unevolved can product child that has DW ability or not.

Bardische

Elegance.
So, I'm a bit confused about the egg groups. Basically, if one pokemon is in the same group as another, then they can pass down moves to each other?

Are sites like Serebii listing only egg moves that are obtainable from that specific pokemon?

Take this for example. An Ishizumai can only learn Spikes through breeding from a Forretress because they are in the same egg group.

One, can Ishizumai also obtain Spikes from a Chobomaki bred from Forretress, since they are all in the same egg group?

Second, can Ishizumai also obtain Toxic Spikes through breeding with Forretress that has both the aforementioned move and Spikes? Because it's nowhere listed in the egg moves on Ishizumai, but they are in the same egg group, right? So, is it possible? :/

I'm really confused, haha. Someone answer my probably stupid question?

Rakurai

So, I'm a bit confused about the egg groups. Basically, if one pokemon is in the same group as another, then they can pass down moves to each other?

Are sites like Serebii listing only egg moves that are obtainable from that specific pokemon?

Take this for example. An Ishizumai can only learn Spikes through breeding from a Forretress because they are in the same egg group.

One, can Ishizumai also obtain Spikes from a Chobomaki bred from Forretress, since they are all in the same egg group?

Yes.

Second, can Ishizumai also obtain Toxic Spikes through breeding with Forretress that has both the aforementioned move and Spikes? Because it's nowhere listed in the egg moves on Ishizumai, but they are in the same egg group, right? So, is it possible? :/

No.

I'm really confused, haha. Someone answer my probably stupid question?

Answers in bold.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Egg Groups means that the Pokémon are able to breed at all. That is, they don't determine moves; they determine compatibility. For instance, you can breed Goldeen with Gyarados because both are part of the Water 2 group. You cannot breed Goldeen with Togetic, on the other hand, because Togetic is part of the Fairy group.

To get Egg Moves, the father must have ALL of the Egg Moves you want, while the mother has to be of the evolution line. For instance, Hammer Arm is an Egg Move on Geodude. If you want a Geodude with Hammer Arm, you must breed a male Pokémon in the Mineral Group who knows Hammer Arm (such as Sudowoodo) with a female Geodude, Graveler, or Golem.

But if both parent held power item it will be 50% for each parent.

Oh, that explains why I had such a hard time getting a Meowth with an IV of 31 in both Attack and Speed. (For those not in the know, I train some unusual Pokémon because I'm a nonconformist.)

GameMaster0000

Chaos Nightmare
I just test bread for another DW ability pokemon.

I get another condition to passed down DW ability.

Parents must be same species, it's mean that evolved and unevolved is not work too.

Rakurai

You do know that there's a random chance of having the ability passed down, right?

Because every single report I've heard previously has never mentioned anything of the two Pokemon needing to be the same species.

Atoyont

Brains for brawn
Only the female can pass down Dream World Abilities, and it's only a 50% chance.

wafiazizul

Dream World Addict
can we increase the 50% chances to 75% or something by holding specific items?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I have an eggmove/breeding question: How do I get Dark Pulse onto Sazandora in Black/White? I've looked just about everywhere, but all I've found is that you need to chain breed Dark Pulse onto them. It never says what Pokemon I have to use to chain breed the move onto them, however :x

Rakurai

I have an eggmove/breeding question: How do I get Dark Pulse onto Sazandora in Black/White? I've looked just about everywhere, but all I've found is that you need to chain breed Dark Pulse onto them. It never says what Pokemon I have to use to chain breed the move onto them, however :x

You need teach an Ekans, Seviper, or Gyarados in the fourth gen Dark Pulse, then transfer it over.

R_N

I think you need to send over a Pokemon from 4th gen games within his egg group that knows Dark Pulse and then breed it on to him?

Crosschecking, I believe Ekans, Arbok, & Gyarados are the only ones that would work.

GameMaster0000

Chaos Nightmare
Okay, my wrong again.

I just bread egg move for starvia with Tokekiss, and I get child with DW ability.

So it is only not work with Ditto.

cartert4219

Ferocious Shuckle
You have the highest chance (very high) of hatching a pokemon with the dream world ability if both parents are the same species and both have the dream world ability. Granted, that eliminates egg moves from the picture but not all pokes need them.

Thanks for that info about Togekiss and Staravia, GameMaster0000. I had been told that there was 0% chance of getting a dream world ability when you mixed species. That will be helpful to know.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I think you need to send over a Pokemon from 4th gen games within his egg group that knows Dark Pulse and then breed it on to him?

Crosschecking, I believe Ekans, Arbok, & Gyarados are the only ones that would work.

That doesn't sound right, to have an Egg Move that can only begin in the previous generation.

I would say that gives an advantage to those with the 4th-generation games, but then I realized the advantage is already there without Egg Moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.