• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Breeding/Egg Moves FAQ & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icing Sugar

Hey guys I have a question. I'm getting a spanish female ponyta with flash fire. I want to mm it so I can get my own shiny ponyta. The problem is that I read in other thread that the ability of the child will be completely random, but I read in other places that hatchlings always have the mother's ability, which is the truth?

Rakurai

Hey guys I have a question. I'm getting a spanish female ponyta with flash fire. I want to mm it so I can get my own shiny ponyta. The problem is that I read in other thread that the ability of the child will be completely random, but I read in other places that hatchlings always have the mother's ability, which is the truth?

The only time the female Pokemon has any influence on the ability of the hatchling is when it has a Dream World ability, in which case it'll be passed on about 50% of the time instead of either of the standard abilities.

SynchronizeTime

I got a female deino with dark pulse. Is there a way to breed into another dark pulse deino? Because the male deinos are unavailable for me as they wanted hydreigon and carracosta, reshiram etc

Hydrogen

The Dragon Master
Yeah, the female is the important one. Breed with ditto!

I got a female deino with dark pulse. Is there a way to breed into another dark pulse deino? Because the male deinos are unavailable for me as they wanted hydreigon and carracosta, reshiram etc

No, only the male parent can pass down Egg moves. You're shorthanded this time.

1ee7leader

^
have a male dragonite from DPPtHgSs, make it learn DD, teach Ice & Thunder Punch on move tutor,transfer it to 5 gen, breed with female scraggy/scrafty

I have a problem with this now, Serebii says that Scraggy can't learn Ice Punch from a Dragonite, so how am I supoosed to chain breed onto one? I'm confused.

Rakurai

Use a Smeargle to sketch Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, and Dragon Dance.

It's the only way you can get all three moves on a Scraggy, due to Dragonite's inability to learn Thunder Punch.

1ee7leader

Use a Smeargle to sketch Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, and Dragon Dance.

It's the only way you can get all three moves on a Scraggy, due to Dragonite's inability to learn Thunder Punch.

It can learn Thunder Punch, by relearning.

Skyress

It can learn Thunder Punch, by relearning.

What he means is, Smeargle to sketch Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, and Dragon Dance. If you just breed with a Dragonite, you'll be missing the Ice Punch.

Potato of Steel

Beginning Breeder
i'm pretty new to breeding, and i'm kind of stuck

i'm trying to breed a Deino that knows dragon pulse, dark pulse, and rough skin

i have a Pupitar (male) that knows dark pulse, a Dragonite (male) who knows dragon pulse, and a Druddigon who has the rough skin ability, i also have multiple deinos and an everstone.

where do i go from here?

Rakurai

A Pokemon can't get abilities from a Pokemon of a different species from breeding. A Deino will always have Hustle for its first two forms, then Levitate for the third.

Also, Pupitar isn't in the same egg group as Deino. The only Pokemon that can pass Dark Pulse to Deino are Seviper, Gyarados, or another Deino. The former two would have to have been transferred in from the fourth gen games after being taught Dark Pulse via TM, where the latter can be obtained fairly easily via trading, or even the GTS, provided you can find a reasonable offer on a level 1 male Deino.

DJ eckman

Sorry I feel real dumb asking this question. I recently learned scrafty can learn ice punch, dragon dance, and drain punch but I just can't seem to get all of the moves on one scraggy. Any advise anyone?

Edit: Nevermind after a bit of reading above I was able to find out. Sorry xP

Red421

Uses Ubers
I swear that among some thread here people were claiming male parents had an increased chance to pass on non-dreamworld abilities ...is this true and if so what's the method? everstone hopefully?

also zen mode darmi-whatever ...if abilities can't be passed on through breeding could you not breed for a zen mode one or do they always pass it on?

Last edited:

meowm1xx

Hey guys sorry for the noob question. I've never bred using smeargles before so if i wanted a ice punch/drain punch/dragon dance scraggy how would i use smeargle to do that? if you could help and give a basic step by step i'd appreciate it. i understand smeargle has sketch.. but how do i utilize that to get those moves?

TehBrawlGuy~

Hey guys sorry for the noob question. I've never bred using smeargles before so if i wanted a ice punch/drain punch/dragon dance scraggy how would i use smeargle to do that? if you could help and give a basic step by step i'd appreciate it. i understand smeargle has sketch.. but how do i utilize that to get those moves?

Just put out the pokemon with whatever move Smeargle needs to learn and smeargle out together in a double/triple battle, have the Pokemon use its move, and then have Smeargle sketch it.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I swear that among some thread here people were claiming male parents had an increased chance to pass on non-dreamworld abilities ...is this true and if so what's the method? everstone hopefully?

It's not true. The only abilities that can be passed on from breeding are Dream World abilities, and only female Pokemon can do that. For non-Dream World abilities, it's completely up to chance as to which ability the offspring will be born with.

Red421

Uses Ubers
It's not true. The only abilities that can be passed on from breeding are Dream World abilities, and only female Pokemon can do that. For non-Dream World abilities, it's completely up to chance as to which ability the offspring will be born with.

thank you ...how do female pokemon pass on dreamworld abilities? everstone or something like it or just automatically? thanks again

Rakurai

It just occurs randomly at a fairly high rate. Around 50% wouldn't be off.

It's a 40% chance, and apparently it does not work if one of the parents is a Ditto (either with Limber or Imposter as its ability).

The_Landlord

I don't care...
A Pokemon can't get abilities from a Pokemon of a different species from breeding. A Deino will always have Hustle for its first two forms, then Levitate for the third.

Also, Pupitar isn't in the same egg group as Deino. The only Pokemon that can pass Dark Pulse to Deino are Seviper, Gyarados, or another Deino. The former two would have to have been transferred in from the fourth gen games after being taught Dark Pulse via TM, where the latter can be obtained fairly easily via trading, or even the GTS, provided you can find a reasonable offer on a level 1 male Deino.

Also Ekans or Arbok from Gen IV

Status
Not open for further replies.