• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

5th Gen Cores Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDanger

How well will a tried and tested core from the RU Tier do in OU?
Slowking, Amoonguss, and Tangrowth, all three with Regenerator and a lot of defensive EVs.

if your going to post, please post evs cause "a lot of defensive evs" means nothing to most of us as it doesnt specify bulk

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
3 Cutemons and a God

As for the original creator of this this thread, I'm asking you a question. What happened to the cores I've posted? I cant find it on the choice boxes that you posted on the edited second post. I can't even find the linked post of my RU core set consisting of Cinccino and Medicham on the RU offensive core Spoiler Box

EDIT: I've placed sprites on every team core that I've posted here just to update it.

Anyways, this going to be my first try on posting a 4 pokemon member offensive core for Ubers. Wish me Luck...

I call this title "Three Cutemons and a God"

385.png

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 120 SDef / 16 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam / Wish
- Iron Head
- Cosmic Power
- Fire Punch

494.png

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Trick
- U-turn
- V-create

380.png

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

493.png

Arceus-Grass @ Meadow Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 4 SAtk / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Spacial Rend​

This set takes advantage of Victini's Raw Power on the Sun, Jirachi's typing and the usual "HHHAAAAAAAAAAAXXXX!!!!", Latias' Soul Dew offense, and Grass Arceus' role to stop Groudon and Kyogre (with the occasional Tyranitar / Hippowdon from time to time). Simply, this is a team built to be Anti Rain

First, I'll talk about Victini and his Choice Scarf. Usually, if you see a Victini fighting with Groudon, one cannot deny Victini's signature move under the sun. But THIS victini of mine is not my key sweeper. This victini is meant to disrupt hazard setters (Notably Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Forretress) with trick. With their Custap Berry / Leftovers gone, no extra Hazards to add (unless they used Toxic Spikes / Spikes). And Just start guessing the enemy's move. If it wants to go to another Pokemon, U-turn out of the battle (from my experience, either Kyogre or Groudon, with the Occasional Giratina on the mix). Or if it's just gonna sacrifice the hazard setter, cook them with V-create. But Bolt strike is there if you want to land a painful hit to Kyogre on the switch

Jirachi on the other hand goes on the offensive coverage. But she has other things to make her more versatile. Cosmic power is there to make her more versatile while she slowly heals back with her lefties. Fire Punch is there to fight on the hazard setters. Iron head is for the Stab of things and flinches. Body slam for that 60% paralysis if you want to improve the delay chance. But if you want her to be tanky, go for Wish. Her role is meant to hax her opponents as much as she can. But with the two Pixies together who are my favorite legendaries as well ended up having ground weaknesses.

Where to call for help?

This is where the next two pokemon come to play as anti Rain and Ground.

Latias with Soul dew is already easy to tell. Give her 3 attacks and Recover. And you're good to go. Draco meteor is there for the dragons going on the switch. Mostly, Jirachi should have those dragons paralyzed first. Psyshock is a necessity to prey on Kyogre's weaker defense stat. Hidden Power Fighting is there for a paralyzed Darkrai. Keep in mind that Jirachi has to get him paralyzed too. Recover is self explanatory.

Grass Arceus on the other hand is a calm mind set meant to go for the kill. Note that this Arceus is meant to be used on Defeating Kyogre and Groudon. So get rid of the other pokemon first. Spacial Rend is there for opposing Dragons not named Reshiram or Rayquaza. Flamethrower for the steel types. Judgement is your go to move against the Weather legendaries

But on this set though, Find a way on dealing against Ho-oh, Giratina, and Palkia, which troubles this core a lot.

Last edited:

McDanger

I forgot to add the RU one, but i`ll be honesty, the shaymin - manaphy core and the above one probably wont be added as either are that good as far as uber cores. The first one does little for each other as there wallbreakers then manaphy, and both manaphy and shaymin are outclassed in uber, while the above core can only handle rain to, but struggles with sun, and sand to an extent. Since this is also a discussion threat, i would say drop cosmic power jirachi as its gimmacky and doesnt get much done as anything with a phazing move will screw it, such as groudon and dialga. I would switch arceus to arceus steel so you have a steel type and a decent pivot to the common dragons with a bulky set, as well as a check to tyrannitar. Another thing you could do is run arceus water as a more offensive style and have it be a rain core as arceus water is a solid rain sweeper, and i would switch victini for genesect as genesect does a better job as a scout / wall breaker then victini.

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
I forgot to add the RU one, but i`ll be honesty, the shaymin - manaphy core and the above one probably wont be added as either are that good as far as uber cores. The first one does little for each other as there wallbreakers then manaphy, and both manaphy and shaymin are outclassed in uber, while the above core can only handle rain to, but struggles with sun, and sand to an extent. Since this is also a discussion threat, i would say drop cosmic power jirachi as its gimmacky and does'nt get much done as anything with a phazing move will screw it, such as groudon and dialga. I would switch arceus to arceus steel so you have a steel type and a decent pivot to the common dragons with a bulky set, as well as a check to tyrannitar. Another thing you could do is run arceus water as a more offensive style and have it be a rain core as arceus water is a solid rain sweeper, and i would switch victini for genesect as genesect does a better job as a scout / wall breaker then victini.

At least I got an answer (RU qualified. Yes...). Usually, I'm not the kind of competitive battler that goes against the bandwagon (players using tried and tested successful core sets) like most of our fellow experts. On my two Ubers cores, those pokemon are my favorite legends (minus Arceus since I'm just forced to use one). You see, I find rain to be the most common set I find in Ubers unlike the other sets. So let's just say I'm a lot more scared on a Kyogre team than any other set. As for the Arceus Grass that I have (ignore the sprite), I don't know where to get the A-Grass sprite.

But if it is okay, just give a better set for my Victini and Jirachi since I just can't play ubers without having any of the 100 based pixies on my ubers team.

Last edited:

Manectrifier

AKA Treecko
Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Toxic
- Waterfall

This is what I use on one of my NU team atm. It is focused around Wishpassing, obviously, and Lickylicky and Alo both do a very good job passing wishes to Metang, who lacks any form of recovery. The core deals with most offensive pokemon in the tier, though you'll need a pokemon that can beat poison types such as Arbok as well as other boosters that can deal with toxic, such as RestCM Gothorita and Subbulk up Braviary.

MCBarrett

MCBarrett
@Manectrifier- That core seems pretty weak defensively since everything on it is at least 2hko'd by the ever-present CB Sawk's Close Combat after Rocks. Replacing Lickilicky with something like Musharna or Misdreavus would make it a pretty solid Defensive Core though. A second Wish Passer isn't really necessary plus if SR is the only hazard up phazing isn't overly effective either so both Missy's and Musharna's support options would benefit the core much better imo.

Manectrifier

AKA Treecko
Alomomola can live the CC with the help of protect, it's really bulky. I also run a ghost (Golurk) on the team, so I send out Alomomola, if it CCs I have a free switch, and I regain health from regenerator, and if it does something else, Alo can take it easily. I've been thinking about having Musharna, but Dragon Tail comes in handy pretty often. I'll try out Musharna sometime though.

MCBarrett

MCBarrett
I did a calc and even after a protect Alomamola only has around a 10% chance to take 2 CC's after SR with that spread (which has more HP investment than the standard spread).

But since you do have a Ghost on the team I guess that does help alleviate your problems, maybe add that into the core? Either way I would definitely recommend trying out Musharna, its arguably the premier wall in the tier and seems to fit into that core pretty nicely.

Manectrifier

AKA Treecko
Yeah, you're right (I guess most Sawks I've seen on the ladder were jolly then). Anyways, I'm not really a fan of 4 pokemon cores, and really most ghosts will work well with the core. Therefore I'll just edit in Musharna over Lickilicky (specially defensive cause most physical attacks can be handled). Mush has a better typing to fit in the core, but with ghost support, Lickilicky (or other pokemon such as Audino, depending on which niche you need the pokemon to fulfill) is still a viable replacement.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Moonlight
- Heal Bell / Baton Pass

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Toxic
- Waterfall

Last edited:

McDanger

i like the idea of heal bell more then baton pass to help alomomola from being stalled out, as well as sweepers if they get burned, updated

186.gif

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Encore / Perish Song

205.gif

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch

637.gif

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Ground / Ice / Rock] / Giga Drain / Fire Blast

591.gif

Amoonguss (F) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Stun Spore
- Sludge Bomb

This is a core I recently made and have good success with. It makes use of volcarona's underrated rain set with bulky support to handle volcarona's checks and create chances to bring the moth in. Most of the sets are standard such as politoed and forretress. I like hp ice on amoonguss to hit dragons, landorus therian, and the genies, tho stun spore can be used over it because of sludge bomb, tho added that to deal with breloom. Volcarona's last move is a wild card to say, as it can be changed to fit the team. Atm I run hp ground cause i hate heatran coming in and being a pain, hp ground lets me beat it 1 v 1 as it cant do much damage in the rain basically letting volcarona set up on it, hurricane it if the balloon isnt popped, and ohko it after. With hurricane and bug buzz, not much can come in and resist, ex. thundurus therian, skarmory, zapdos, in which case you can run hp rock as it still does decent damage to heatran, or give up hitting heatran for hp ice or fire blast. Lastly you can use giga drain, but most of the time bug buzz will hit for the about the same damage (135 bp bug buzz vs 140 bp giga drain).

Last edited:

Fabulous Ampharos

Pokemon Breeder :3
I don't play OU, but I have a core for RU and one for NU.

Kabutops@Lum Berry
Trait: Weak Armor
EV's : 252 atk/252 spd/4(I think Smogon says HP ?)
Adamant Nature(+Atk,-Sp. Atk)
Moves :
Rapid Spin
Stone Edge
Waterfall
Swords Dance

Moltres@Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
EV's 252 sp. atk/252 speed/4 hp(i think)
Moves :
Flamethrower
-Hurricane
-U-Turn
-HP Grass

Simple, Kabutops can spin away rocks and take care of those pokemon that Moltres struggle with,like Slowking(provided you don't get burned, but that's why we have lum berry) and to deal with those pesky bug types that do trouble my sceptile, like Accelgor(in the team, there's a sceptile). Moltres deals with those Fire/Steel types that are extremely annoying to deal with, the main threat being Escavalier and Durant. Kabutops can also easily deal with Cryagonal, the other spinner in RU, that is one of the main ones.

Now time for the NU offensive core.
Braviary@Leftovers
Trait: Defiant
EV's(just putting these, don't know smogon's by heart) : 252 atk/200 HP/52 speed
Moves :
-Substitute
-Bulk Up
-Brave Bird
-Superpower

Raichu@Life Orb
Trait : Lightningrod
EV's : 252 sp. atk/252 speed/4 def
Moves :
-Nasty Plot
-Thunderbolt
-HP Ice
-Encore

Now, this core does work pretty well. While it is a dual set up core, it does help by letting raichu take out those pesky types that Braviary does not have a good time dealing with.(MUSHARNA) or pokemon Like Golurk after rocks and a couple of spikes. Braviary takes out those pokemon that Raichu ain't effective at taking down, like Miltank,Regirock(if already set up)and special walls that Raichu struggles with and he can switch into EQ's or ground type moves aimed at Raichu. Raichu can take out pokemon like Carracosta before +2, take out Gorebyss after rocks,etc.

Not too good at explaining cores DX And its 6 am.

Status
Not open for further replies.